Made less money than tangled

>made less money than tangled

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pk33dTVHreQ
youtube.com/watch?v=plXmbLAUTRg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nonwhites ruin everything.

Most people want to see attractive white people.

The only people who claim they want brown people, are the same people who will boycott it for cultural appropriation.

Kids movies and their toys promote each other, when the studio is afraid of offending a group because of the commercialization the film isn't going to to do well.

non-whites like chinks and japs don't like films without whites

>nonwhites

I might like the movie, but I haven't seen a disney animated feature film in theatres since aladdin.

Brown girl

The main characters are brown. It's kind of strange, but it's really that simple. The chinese, and to a lesser extent Asians in general, aren't interested in seeing non-white characters in American movies.

Put it to you this way: imagine you went to a Chinese restaurant in NYC or LA, and the waiter offers you curry or shepard's pie or whatever it is that arabs eat. Are you going to take it? Of course not. You're there to eat Chinese food, so you demand Chinese food.

Chinese people aren't going to American movies to watch polynesians.

This. Social Justice isn't profitable.

Literally because they were nonwhite, not even pol memeing. White characters are just more pleasing to look at. I'm Sup Forums and I thought it was great

sounds kind of like a crackpot theory, but I cannot even imagine watching a Chinese-produced movie about Mexico.

This 100%

>sounds kind of like a crackpot theory
It's really a fairly mainstream theory since the chinese market is so big people in hollywood have to balance their progressive side and capitalist side.

white people can't keep getting away with this

i fucking hope you're being ironic

Niche and shit-tier stone age culture that contributed nothing to history, completely unrelatable to the majority of the planet.

Seems like everyone in the film would have really bad body odor.

I don't think it's that crackpot. Granted, I'm pretty hammered, but I think the logic is fairly sound. Like you said, you wouldn't watch a Chinese movie about Mexico.

The appeal of Hollywood movies is not, as much as some people want you to believe, based on the quality of those movies. It's based on the global appeal of American culture. If you're going to see a "Hollywood" movie, you expect white people! Explosions! American accents! That's why you're going. It's a cultural experience. A way to look at America (which is why so many foreigners seem to base their opinions of us on those movies).

You're not going to see a heartwarming tale of polynesian spirituality.

You could say the same about Frozen, Tangled, Aladdin, Mulan, Sleeping Beauty....deodorant didn't exist until 1888. The first big animated movie where the people don't stink was probably Anastasia.

It isn't. Comics are flooded with social justice and they're losing money. Social Justice gets shoehorned into stuff than mostly men prefer and it's been "making money" on the backs of things like video games and Star Wars. But whenever social justice is the main selling point, like for example, Ghostbusters 2016, it flops on it's ass.

Haven't heard any hype about it. Maybe it's just not that good?

They fucked up by naming it after a Girl. Little boys would see the title and find themselves disinterested in a girly movie.

I thought Disney new, hence the Rapunzel movie was renamed Tangled and Elsa The Frost Bitch got the gender neutral name Frozen. But they appearently didn't.

Oh and is Moana not the girl's name? If not well it sounds like it to me and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Didn't Lilo and Stitch do really well? I don't think this is just a matter of the characters not being white.

>Lilo & Stich (2002)
>Budget: 80 million dollars
>Box office: 273 million dollars

>Moana (2016)
>Budget: 150 million dollars
>Box Office: 565 million dollars

I guess Moana is not bad, it's just no Frozen levels of insanely good.

He means with actual consumers in the free market, not greasy soros kike dollars.

The Rock's character looked ugly so I didn't see it.

I'm not sure it's racism though since Lilo, Pocahontas, Alladin, and Mulan are considered classics. Though I guess how well you're remembered in the US isn't directly correlated to how well you sell in the modern Chinese dominated market.

Because the movie was garbage

1. Boring characters. Both of them look disgusting. Moana look generic at best.

2. Entire boring plotline on the fucking boat

3. Rehashed backstories. Moana is an Ariel rip off

4. Jokes are flat or they trying to be meta

5. Songs were horrible, so forgetable and not catchy at all. They were mostly spewing exposition in most cases.

6. The forced chicken and little tatooguy tried too hard as typical Disney mascots

7. Fucking ending, good to know the main hero is responsible for the death of everyone who ever dies and not only goes scott free but also gets rewarded

Seriously fuck this movie. A typical production made by black suits and created out of every Disney archetype. Seriously making a main character a woman or black will automatically have critics rate this as 95% on rotten tomatoes. Fucking brainless SJW's.

>Frozen
Actually body odors and basically all odors are reduced during cold/extreme cold temperatures

you've obviously never been outside of america. most asians hate white people because of things like military bases and the fact that tourists are arrogant white supremacists. most of it has to do with production value, the same way americans wouldn't go to see an independent film from china.

Comic book industry kinda blows my mind.

Seriously I can't comprehend how many limited in appeal comic books keep getting produced. Are there really people who buy and read WWE comic books? Or fucking Bob's Burgers?

chinese people love white people.

if you're a white man with short hair women will try to marry you, or parents will try to get their daughter to marry you

nice pasta

if not
>number 1 is a critique on their models
>having animated waifus
you disgust me.

Frozen is a weird anomaly anyway, I doubt that'll happen again anytime soon. It wasn't even that good but Idina Menzel and Let It Go carried it incredibly far, along with the twist of the sister saving the day and not the cliche love interest (which they ruined by getting Anna with that ice picking boy anyway imho)

I'M NOT AT HOME NOW DRIVING ATM DID THE BRRIP COME OUT ALREADY?

This film is unironically Disney's best since Up
It's better than Frozen and Kubo and The Two Memes
Shame it didn't do as well

but let it go is actually mediocre and doesn't hold up to the previous era of disney melodies.

if anything first time in forever was better, even if it was fucking annoying by the third chorus.

I proclaim this thread to be a Disney song thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=pk33dTVHreQ

>asians love white people in movies.*

Fixed.

Maybe in the 70s/80s yeah, millennial chinks don't give a shit about any of that and love American movies about American men

>Kubo
>Disney

No, Moana is the girl's name
Interesting theory
The song Moana in the soundtrack is amazing

This post has shill written all over it.

>Moana
>better than Kubo

Kubi isn't Disney, but you're still wrong faggot.

I just mentioned it cause everyone has such a boner for that film
I would genuinely shill for this film only cause it's so much better than everything else Disney shits out lately
>hurr

>Stop motion masterpiece vs. a cookie cutter CCI Disney flick

None of the trailers showed what this movie was about. There are 2 brown guys and they travel on a boat and sing about shit. Lin Manuel whatever wrote a few songs. Who gives a shit?

>Stop motion masterpiece
Not a masterpiece by any metric, entire last act was half-assed and rushed
The stop motion was mostly cgi anyway, I can't believe you fell for the marketing gimmick

> cookie cutter CCI Disney flick
Not even close

What about Shrek?

I thought the movie was passable but I want to reinforce this point user brought up

>2. Entire boring plotline on the fucking boat

Fucking seriously, all of the disney screenwriting talent couldn't see the plot dead end in the movie's setting? The ocean is beautiful and all and the movie had the best water animation ever made, but you're limiting the characters to interact IN A FUCKING BOAT. And then have as little characters as possible? How did this even make it into production without anyone coming up with a better plot and characters?

I mean you can keep the Rock, the brown qt and the whole polynesian theme, but write something that is actually engaging

Not nearly enough advertising.

>The stop motion was mostly cgi
I see you're profession is talking out of your ass.

footgame was weak

kek.

which movie/princess has the best foot game Sup Forums

it is imperative we get to the bottom of this

>stop contradicting me!!!
what did he mean by this

I'm not a profession no. I see you're illiterate
But this might help (5:30 highlights it)
youtube.com/watch?v=plXmbLAUTRg

I think I've discussed that before.
Must've been on Sup Forums since I can't imagine where else I've had such a discussion.

Neat practical effects do not a movie make. Kubo was gorgeous, but it relied waaaaay too much on being stop motion, it relied too much LOOK AT US WE'RE DIFFERENT MUH CRAFT MUH ART, shit was even in the credits, showing off armatures. It wasn't a stellar or particularly interesting story by any means. It was all visuals but no flair. You can have a simple, generic plot, but there was no neat angle it came from.

Honestly, I'm sick of people shittalking CGI as if absolutely awful practical effects never existed. Just because they're rare now doesn't make them better. They were designed to make something unnatural come to life, and now we have better ways of doing that. People earnestly believe you click a few buttons and you get a CGI movie, without understanding any of the work that goes into it, the amount of production companies hired on to do CGI who go under after a movie is finished because of used up resources and less than stellar pay. Those people NEVER get the credit for making CGI people never question. It's all taken for granted, then some artsy fucks come along with a shit story and decent visuals and get lauded for it.

One's based in a centuries old fairy tale and has an attractive cast and a fun title.

Moana on the other hand sounds like a cheap whore's name and right on the poster you could see a fat brown fuck with diabetes feet. That's not appealing.

Okay but CGI Disney movies look like shit.

It's not a theory.

i think it was good

yep this

no if only studios would finally learn this lesson as well

>chewbacca is removed
bastards. its true.

>no Chewie

anti-wookie racism at work.

FURRY LIVES MATTER
ROOAOGWWHWHWAHAHAAA

Ariel commits suicide in the original Hans Christian Andersen version of The Little Mermaid. Since when does Disney give a fuck about being faithful to the original stories they chose tell? Are they remaining faithful to what Maui looks like do to fear of an SJW backlash ?

Just like when they named the Black frog princess Maddy, but were forced to chang the name to Tiana when black people started bitch that the name Maddy was racist some how? Does Disney have to be more careful when tell the stories of minorities do to being bullied, intimidated, and threatened by minorities, and SJWs?

Just tell them you're not American and hate Americans too if you want a quick fuck

Both wanted to go somewhere they weren't supposed to go because they were after something more than their home had to offer. Father says no you can't go. They go on their quest anyways in hopes of getting what they were after while sing Disney songs, and accompanied by their cute side kick pet. In the end they are rewarded, and get what they were after while making their fathers eat humble pie.

is there a scene with moana as a kid. asking for a friend

yes, topless

>keep the nigger (but minimize him)
>get rid of Chewie

top fucking kek

well said

Because it's formula now, it's the norm, it's expected, it has a standard we all understand, it doesn't have prestige of, say, when Toy Story came out. Toy Story hasn't aged terribly well, but it was mindblowing back then because no one had made an entire movie in a computer before. Jurassic Park, on the other hand, was also mindblowing, and it STILL holds up. Now CGI is the mainstream, you grew up with it and around it. You don't question it. It's a fact of life. Then Kubo comes along, using an outdated and exhaustive mode of animation and people treat it like the saviour has returned, all because they pushed the IT'S ACTUALLY STOP MOTION!!! gimmick down everyone's throats. But the fact of the matter is it did absolutely nothing original.

I have nothing against practical effects, I love Ray Harryhausen and his work in the old Charles Schneer Sinbad films, and it's because he took the only thing they had; clunky, awful stop motion, and made it amazing with his talent and skill at animation. But not everyone is Ray Harryhausen, and today in CGI we're striving for evermore realistic motion, models and physics, but that's just an upward curve to traverse, nothing new or weird or extreme has been done with it. So we're complacent with it and we judge it, because it's so familiar.

Think/say what you want, but there is no excuse for making them this fucking fat, and ugly

You are literally cherrypicking two outliers for that pic. Most Hawaiians do not look like that.

>them this fucking fat, and ugly
but he's ugly in mythology

Anyone saying any political shit is a retard. Simply put, Moana is a summer movie but they released it near Thanksgiving? That's just bad programming

>the robot
>make it bigger
>it's the key to all of this

Fuck off dipshit. They look much more interesting than the bland, cut and paste characters in other modern Disney films

>Dude if it's not summer where I live it's not anywhere else in the world lmao

They don't. Dude looks objectively ugly, girl looks sort of cute but "ethnic". Those bland cut and paste characters are re-used for a reason, they're appealing.

but you're ugly in real life fag

More careful in the sense as Moana/Mulan/Pocahontas come from deep cultural backgrounds.

>Both wanted to go somewhere they weren't supposed to go because they were after something more than their home had to offer. Father says no you can't go

there's tonnes of movies using the same premise. Especially involving teenage girls.

not saying you aren't wrong though. Also i agree on the pacing between the songs and their use as exposition.

>Girl looks ethnic
So?
>Dude looks objectively ugly
Looks fine, and they're being faithful to the real legend of Maui by not making him your standard 'handsome male lead'

It was winter in the markets that actually mattered, you retard.

Having characters who aren't white is not "social buzzword" you fucktard

But Moana had markets that Tangled didn't have, like China. And it still made less money.

It is if they're shitskins.

Fuck off Sup Forums

I'm not even Sup Forums, but it's true.

Moana is also ugly in the mythology ? wtf I hate mythology now. This kinda ugly just isn't acceptable.

Releasing it in between Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One didn't help.

Don't give me that shit ma8. It's Disney. They have cherrypicked since the very beginning in order to show us the best from each race. Why stop now?

The bitch has cankles for the love of god.

>Hideously ugly = interesting
Get fuck.

>but let it go is actually mediocre

Not disagreeing with you, its not even in the top 10 of GOAT Disney songs, and was probably one of Disney's more generic offerings. But that doesn't change the fact that it became a global phenomenon. When kiddies exited the cinema, that was the song they were singing, that was the song that was being covered a million times, that was what was played on the radio, that's what the Asian market were singing in karaoke bars. Average as fuck song, mass market appeal. I still think Frozen would have outperformed Moana without it, but Let It Go's influence cannot be overstated.

MUH ETHNIC CARTOONS

>Someone put this much effort into showing an animated character doesn't have perfect proportions

Jesus Christ

Dude we get it, you don't like brown people

>using existing cankle awareness pictures
>cropping out a part of them
>insert movie poster
Probably took less effort than me writing this post.

Nobody wants to watch an animated film about niggers

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Except Moana did better in China than any other market outside the US.

You need to stop blaming chinks for everything.

Great song