LITERALLY the best film of 2016

LITERALLY the best film of 2016

Kickass is really good in this.

I really, really don't get the hype here. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't special in any way either, this is a bargain-bin movie and you know it.

>this is a bargain-bin movie and you know it.
In what way

The cinematography alone prevents it from being bargain bin.

The story-within-a-story was basically just a standard revenge thriller, there must've been 30 different movies made in the '90s just like it. And then we just keep cutting back to Amy Adams's "famous for having good taste" art-curator character gushing about how devastating and powerful that story is, when it's really just okay.

All the fretting about the way she divorced Gyllenhaal's character really didn't add up to anything, either. So he stood her up at the restaurant in the end? Who cares? It seemed that she'd already moved on.

And yes, I understood that his book was a metaphor for the way he felt about the divorce. I just didn't care. Fuck Nocturnal Animals. Stick to clothes, Tom

And the cinematography was fine, but not enough to sell me on this movie. There wasn't anything really ambitious or notable about the compositions or staging, just good lighting I guess.

>go into the cinema watching this having barely any knowledge
>just go because Im a Jakefag
>pleb filter opening
>people writhing in their seats around me
>some actually leave
>movie starts
>actually really good
made me look up Tom Ford tbqh

Marvel fan. I fucking know it. I bet you were so pumped for Doctor Strange and Deadpool.

It was a feature length perfume commercial. Hell or high-water was worse though.

Nope. Deadpool was fun enough but it's just trash, and Nocturnal Animals isn't far above it. I didn't think it was quite as terrible as I just made it sound, but it's trying to pass itself off as high art when it's really pretty shallow and typical.

Best films I saw of 2016 were Silence, Elle, Arrival, Manchester by the Sea, Paterson, High-Rise, and Sully

>Arrival
absolutely disgusted when I saw you put this, but you put High Rise so its OK

>anyone who doesn't like what I like likes what I don't like

... talk to your doctor about autism.

was gonna watch it but it has a jump scare

Paterson is the best movie of the year though

What was wrong with Arrival? I thought it was great. I guess you could say it's uneventful for a sci-fi film, but I was really into the whole idea of trying to find a common language with an alien species

once you see a painting that literally just says 'REVENGE' just brace for it or mute and ignore until next scene

lolno.

this was all shit.

poor articulation of a thin premise and it thought it was being a lot more clever than it actually was.

It's a nice movie. A little heavy handed at times, but also some really good scenes.

Not MOTY though imo, but certainly not bad. I think it is good but not worth any real praise

movies can't think, dummy

thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend

nah Elle gmv.

She hasn't moved on. She dumped him because he didn't have a good job or w/e but clearly regretted it.

reminder the entire movie was nothing but a thin excuse to put this in a movie.

>poor articulation of a thin premise and it thought it was being a lot more clever than it actually was
This review perfectly describes itself.

it was ok. not the best movie from last year though. hell or high water takes that prize

That scene made want to live in USA. What an amazing country.

>woman divorces you because you're a loser and will never amount to anything ever

>write a script about a man having his wife and daughter raped and murdered because that's what it felt like to be left by amy adams

fake daughter was hot though.

Seems more like that review accurately described all responses to it.

The film was basically autistic power fantasy of the male character combined with Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky"

xlarge
>350x249

... what am I missing here

>power fantasy
But it was the opposite, it was an autistic powerlessness fantasy like The Velvet Underground's "The Gift"

I liked the meta of the scriptwriter writing about multiple encounters with a woman he never even talked to and how rejected he felt when she was dating a redneck.

>it was [a] powerlessness fantasy

... yep, he sure felt powerless killing his fake wife's fake murderer and finally telling that bitch how it felt when she left him.

The image is so old that 350x249 was huge for an image.

>hesitating until it's way too late, and his fake wife's murderer cracks his head open with a poker and leaves him to die in a field
>"showing that bitch what's what" by making her read a crappy book and then not showing up when you tell her to meet you at a restaurant
Did we watch the same movie? How does that translate to "power fantasy?"

Threadly reminder that this movie was a solid 8/10 on Jake, Amy and Kick-Ass perfomances alone, plus Van Alden being great too as always, but it gets hate from the shills because of pic related being posted as proof of critics being shits. They also started the "dishonest filmaking" forced af meme for the same reason

>inb4 le alex jones face

You know it's true

Really affected me.

I read the script right after watching it and got enthralled in the story again. It's so well written.

the (fictional) sheriff was the best part

Same, I instantly looked him up. Flawless execution.

>tfw will never be a great writer

A single man was better

If you like big, obvious metaphors, then go for it. I'm a fan of Amy though

>hacksaw ridge
>not a total mess with a first half that feels like a made for tv movie
top lel m8

this movie was such trash. i paid money to see this due to the cast ensemble, and wished i never had. no one has any character development, the whole movie is the retelling of backstory. (shit that was really mediocre) why the fuck is armie hammer in this ? and
*spoiler alert*
Gyllenhal falling on his gun? really.

oh and to mention the every single character apart from kickass is in some somber trance the entire movie.

>13 hours
>cafe society
>fucking BvS
>Sully
>Conjuring 2
>allied
>shallows
>war dogs
>MIKE AND DAVE NEED WEDDING DATES
you are insanely pleb, my nigga

agreed stick to clothes tommy boy

>didn't like 13 Hours
back to plebbit

I liked it but I wouldn't call it the best of the year.

Thats not BvS though

Found the pleb. The movie was brilliantly shot, had plenty of tension, and I liked the ending.