Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1907

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:
Remember: ネーヴァ ギヴ アップ!!
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mEmznINVGV8
eikaiwa.dmm.com/uknow/questions/17535/
ameblo.jp/suite-sweets/entry-10058349519.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

やっと金曜日に着いたぁー!

日本語勉強あんまりしなかった...

眠い

ブサイク

anyone else using the kotoba app?
I think it's pretty good, not sure if it's the best method for learning, probably not, but it keeps me going

ここか?

私も

>Sorry for spamming this everywhere on the website, but I just really need this favor:

Hello! I recently found this really nice rap/pop-song-with-really-fast-lyrics and I'd like to be able to sing along to it. The main thing I'd need for now is the chorus (it goes from 0:59 to 1:20 in the video down below), so if you have the spare time, could any of you please write the Romaji and maybe even the translation for me? If so, thank you very much!

Here's the link: youtu.be/mEmznINVGV8

the lyrics are in the description... just copy paste it into google translate

Holy shit, I swear that whole part of the description wasn't there when I first opened it. Thank you for opening my eyes, user, I feel really stupid now.

What's cool about the internet is that I can shitpost in Japanese without actually knowing Japanese although it involves meticulously using jisho and making sure the grammar isn't completely fucked

>not good enough to read native grammar references
>have to deal with this shit every time I want too know something beyond the scope of DoJG and other popular textbooks
42たい

>kept putting off reps throughout the week because of school/general laziness
>finally bit the bullet today
w e w

I'm pretty sure people in this thread look like this

Uhh, ackshually I wear contacts, okay?

probably but nip girls don't seem to mind

I'm not white

do I just drop anki once i hit 6k and just start reading nonstop?
2 hours on anki a day is getting boring after almost a year ya know

i ment 10k

You should already be reading and listening non-stop.

Anything over an hour per day in Anki seems like a waster to me. But you also probably shouldn't drop it completely until you get down to only having to look up a few words per page or whatever.

downloaded hanahira! to practice my japanese a little more and the characters are messed up in dialogue. what do?

P.S.: playing on windows XP (no joke I'm that poor)

Read the resource guide.

>手応えのある第一線で働くことこそ、掛け替えのない天職だと思っていた。
I get the second half but I don't understand the first part at all. Neither Jisho's definition of 手応え nor the translation for 手応えがある from eikaiwa.dmm.com/uknow/questions/17535/ make much sense to me.

i think im reading too hard of books because i cant go an hour without making over 100 new cards.

The situation that you don't know at all: 手探りする
that is a metaphor of absence of light.

The situation that you understand a little: 手応えがある
you came to feel confident.

So then 手応えのある第一線で働くことこ is working somewhere where you feel confident? What's the purpose of 第一線?

第一線 ≒ the forefront
自信がある was a little wrong.
手応えのある仕事=a challenging work

Ok thank you

Only add words that aren't guessable from the kanji, have new kanji, or have weird pronunciation. Also do more listening.

But yeah you could also just be reading stuff that is too hard, since if you have more experience a lot of "hard" words are guessable since you see them as combinations of already known patterns.

自信がある is a free translation of 手応えがあった of the past tense.
take care

I'm new at this
Is the 6k all kanji or are there also words made from hiragana and katakana?

Does that also mean i should be reading without looking up things that I can figure out from context? Would that help my mind get used to japanese as a whole?
or just dont make cards of those words?

Most of thewords in core 6k are kanji+hiragana, you'll get used to it.

Good. I'm having enough trouble just trying to memorize the hiragana, will be nice to have a head start on kanji

I swear to christ I confused ま with ほ at least 12 times today

What does the slang term エッグい mean?

It's just えぐい: "nasty" or something similar.

>Does that also mean i should be reading without looking up things that I can figure out from context?
The problem with Japanese is that the pronunciations can sometimes be really different from what you expect, so I think the best is to
-Always read/watch stuff with as much audio as possible to go along with the text (so you can use the audio to get the pronunciation, and guess the meaning from context). VNs with voiced protagonists tend to be pretty good even though the narration is still not voiced, but drama/anime with jap subtitles is good too.

-When that is not possible, read stuff with a text hooker. Look up the words the first few times, and add them to anki if you're still not sure about them by the third time or so.

I've been studying English for two years and still can't speak fluently. I'm terrible at speaking actually. Send help...

Can you understand tv, news, podcasts, etc fluently? If not, practice listening. If you can, maybe try shadowing for pronunciation. If your grammar is shit then read more.

Wanna trade vocal cords?

savage

I don't think anyone could speak a language fluently after just two years. Don't worry. Just keep trying to talk to people in real life, via clubs or other organizations, etc. In the meantime, try to watch a lot of English media. That helped me a lot with Japanese pronunciation and natural speaking patterns.

Yeah, John.

>tfw don't care about speaking japanese but will never know how to read or listen to it

Thanks bros. You all are helpful.

Umm it's Tyrone

thanks man.
Trashing all my mangas and downloading VNs!

I read it and installed the asian language pack, still no luck. I can write in japanese with the windows fonts but the text in the game still messed up. Anyone has an idea of what can I do?

What is everyone reading at the moment?

nevermind I figured it out.

*やっと金曜日になったぁー!
えっぐい=えぐい(ゑぐい/蘞 い)
i use it as the meaning of "nasty" or "disgusting"
it has the long history:
「えぐいとは本来「あくが強く、喉や舌を刺激するような味がする」という意味(この意味では平安時代から使用)だが、これが転じ「気色悪い・気味が悪い」更に「(気色悪いほど)残忍な・残虐な」「きつい」「きびしい」「つらい」など様々な意味で使われるようになる。1981年に女優:中原理恵がコンタック600のTVCMで「えぐいんじゃないの~」と言ったことから流行語になった。また、同じ頃えぐいは本来の意味とは全く異なる「(いい意味での)凄い」「かっこいい」という意味でも使われるようになる(TVCM自体は本来の意味で使用していたため関連性はないと思われる)。現在もえぐいは様々な意味で若者を中心に使用されるが本来の意味を知っている人は減少している。」

The ultimate redpill and Thomas Aquinas's Selected Works. I wanna read John Locke next to get a better understanding of classical liberalism and economic theory (although I still have a bit of that enlodged in my brain from school).

日常

なんでコピペするん

すいません。
見栄剥いって英語でなんて言うの?
一言葉とかあるの?それとも英語では説明しなきゃいけない表現なの?

なんでブラジル旗なん

You of all people should know that posting under a flag and using a language doesn't mean you are said nationality.

I had laser eye surgery

完全に日本人だからな。
むしろ日本人でも知らん性器用語だ > 見栄剥き

in the first place, white foreigners look down on Japanese after all.
you are aboliginy, so no problem tho

I guess you aren't reading those in japanese though

what is a foreigner who says he always goes to Japan everytime?

>aboliginy
QT!

or kiwi

意味は不明

whatever

日本語で書いてみ

"意味不明"と言えばいいのに
なぜそこでカタコトさを保つかな

"てみ"はやめろ
特徴が消えない

うざいわ

荒らすな

日本旗(パンツ屋)マジで邪魔だな
誰もお前に話してないだろ

なにか答えたら?

チンポでも貼れよ
使えねえな

This is just cringeworthy. Look, use the 日本語スレ for this LARPing bullshit, yeah? This is a thread for Japanese learners.
This thread turns to shit the moment is it flooded by a wave of totally-Japanese-for-real-just-look-at-my-flag posters spamming off topic bullshit.

なんだkiwiか。
you insist this is a Japanese learner's thread, so you should speak Japanese.

>パンツ屋
こいつが死ねばいい

バンプ

i agree

there are the outbreak of spammer in JT now.

>have shit job
>decide to go back to school to get a better job
>barely any time to learn jap
Fuck me.

Learning math, spanish and english (stupid technical vocab) leaves barely any time time to learn jap.

Japanese is not useful.
I knew it.

What does YK mean

The qt grill at work was surprised that I knew the term "DQN" and told me to look this up but I haven't managed to find out

perhaps most Japanese ask you about Japan any times for getting that answer.
that is the world I know.
I was relieved.

>YK
maybe you mistake it as KY

I want to learn altaic languages and Persian.
That is not related to my job at all.
That is just only hobby.

No, she said YK.

Maybe it's ワイ系 or something. She thinks my Japanese is better than it actually is so she doesn't explain things to me much.

嫁来ない?
I don't know
ameblo.jp/suite-sweets/entry-10058349519.html

>/fit/ blue eyed 6ft white guy who hides his powerlevel like the plague
>Started studying japanese in college 2 years ago when I realized the west was only going to get fatter
>Realized I could either stay here, roll the dice, possibly end up with a qt who will take care of herself but more than likely end up with a fatchling and wake up at age 40 next to a fat disgusting snoring monster who used to be attractive but let herself go as soon as we tied the knot, not being able to leave due to fear of alimony and because of children
>Date casually for the rest of my life and hope to christ I don't make the mistake of marrying a fatchling
or
>Fuck off to asia, experience some initial hardship and discrimination, power through it, colonize some qt who will almost certainly remain thin for a good 30-40 years, and not wake up in quiet desperation every morning for the rest of my life
>Japan is basically westernized asia and has some fun media, so I picked Japanese

I didn't even bother with Chinese cartoons until a few years ago. Really I just looked around at my older brethren obviously in hell legally chained to some fat fuck and looked for a way to escape that fate.

the proper solution is to go gay and move to a state that won't ever implement common law marriage, so if your partner ever gets fat you can put them back in the friend zone

I've made out with 5 men in my life. Didn't go any farther because it didn't do anything for me. Also gay marriage will probably be legal everywhere relatively soon.

Honestly, I can't stand how fat my country is in general. The idea of being chained to a fat person is my idea of absolute hell, but i don't particularly like looking at fat people everywhere I go. I'm applying to JET this year, failing that applying to ECC and Interac.

>I've made out with 5 men in my life.
>Didn't go any farther because it didn't do anything for me
>made out with 5 men
>didn't do anything for me
>5 men
hm...

What is the quickest way to learn Japanese? Speaking is irrelevant because I'm not a normie

>What is the quickest way to learn Japanese?
>normie
Print out the guide and shove it up your ass, normalfag

>Twice on a dare
>Twice with a bro in exchange for two qts to make out in front of us
>Once because a fag friend asked me if I wanted to and I decided "fuck it"
>All before the age of 22

I wish I was in denial and was secretly gay. It would make my life a lot easier; fags are much more likely to take care of themselves/not be fucking nutjobs.

not sure who you're trying to fool here, you are at least 50% faggot

You are literally gay

Literally nobody. I'm telling you I wish I was gay user. I really do. There is literally no reason I would deny being gay, except that my penis will not respond to men. Trust me, I've tried.