African episode shows a country ruled by a brutal dictator who oppresses his people

>African episode shows a country ruled by a brutal dictator who oppresses his people
>Latin American episode has a hot bisexual young man and a scary Narco with a cheating wife
>American episode has an obese woman who has to be craned out of her apartment
How many ethnic cliches can Sorrentino fit into a single show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=isgydm69YLE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ALL OF THEM

He should go to Behemia and watch as nobody gives a shit.

This show is too good for this board. Just ignore it and go back to shitting your pants over superficial dreck like The Leftovers.

THAT'S BEEN JUDE LAW THIS WHOLE TIME??

I can't recognize him at all.

I like the show, but you can't deny that it deals in stereotypes

Well it's a good thing cliches are never based in truth, or else there might be violent warlords in Africa, drug lords in South America, and fat women in the United States. Good thing it's just a show

Real life is chock-full of stereotypes. That's usually where they come from. It's full of exceptions to those stereotypes, too, and this show has plenty of those.

It uses stereotypes for an explicit purpose and is concerned with exploring the underlying truth behind them. It doesn't just give us grieving small town cop and have him lose his grip on reality grow a beard and cry.

are you somehow implying that none of those scenarios exist in the real world?

Stereotypes are created in a vacuum, that doesn't reflect reality?

Our brains are much more sophisticated and aggregate information better then your leftist PC agenda

>Holy Father Pius XIII tells you to put your finger on the globe.

Where do you choose to go?

I'm not making a political argument, I just thought that it would be interesting to note that every time the show makes a point of portraying another culture, it portrays those cultures with the broadest possible strokes. It's an aesthetic point I'm making.

alaska. let's see what the fuck does then

Honduras. Did you see how awesome that threesome was?

This. Beauty at low temperatures is beauty nigga, i WANT to see that shit

>I just thought that it would be interesting
You thought wrong. The show doesn't spend a ton of time in Honduras and we don't meet many characters other than the ones you mentioned. But the Africa & America episodes, you're the one who chose only to focus on the "stereotypes." The show did not

Complaining about a lack of subtlety and a portrayal of cliches is a perfectly legitimate aesthetic point

yeah haha definitely no fat people in america or corrupt despots in africa or drug lords in south america

what were they thinking

>American episode has an obese woman who has to be craned out of her apartment

you can't deny Sorrentino has a sense of humor

Nothing about this show was subtle, but it was much more nuanced than you made it sound. As I said, the stereotypes you chose to focus on weren't even the main focus of the Africa or New York storylines, let alone the only characterization on display.

Personally, I think it's "bad writing" to be so self-consciously avoidant of cliches that you end up avoiding any kind of honest portrayal/statement of reality. I guess that's just a difference in opinion

Nah, there was a lot of humor in this show

You're right, also remember, around blacks never relax

>Behemia

?

Leftovers is superior in every way to this hollow glossy trash.

>Pope finds out nun running aid camps is sexually abusing young women
>does nothing, God will fix it
>Pope finds out that Cardinal is sexually abusing young boys
>uh I'll just transfer you

WTF I love the Catholic Church again!

>normal people
>2017

Shitty show has shitty writing

more like accurate

Why did he completely forget his ginger friend who was murdered?

He didn't, that's what changed him

idunno, it almost felt like there were some missing episodes in the second half of the season

>leftovers fan calling other shows hollow and glossy

I literally had to drop the leftovers it was so bad. And I'm not a quitter I watched all of breaking bad and interstellar despite everything telling me to stop.

Threadly reminder if you weren't hooked by the first episode you would be better served watching comic book movies and browsing reddit.

youtube.com/watch?v=isgydm69YLE

>watched all of breaking bad and interstellar despite everything telling me to stop.
Contrarian detected

Ehh... I watched Breaking Bad a second time, and it does get pretty fucking dumb by Season 4. I was into it too when I was watching it week-to-week, but I have a feeling that it's not going to stand the test of time.

>he d-disagrees with me despite the fact that my garbage opinions are dogma. I know I'll call him a contrarian whatever that means.

it doesn't even stand the test of my pleb family.

Both my mom, my dad, all of my siblings all dropped the show. I'm literally the only one who was able to stomach it until the end.

Season 1 was pretty enjoyable but it goes so far down hill. The season lengths should have stayed 6-7 episodes. There is so much fucking padding. Seriously how many episodes have absolutely nothing of importance happen until the last 5 minutes?

is amir the shit poster from last night's thread here?

He claimed to have seen every episode but some how missed everything that happened. I think he ran out of quarters for the internet cafe

I thought it was pretty solid throughout Season 2 (the plane-crash ending was a little forced though) and Season 3 was still a good show, but the "padding" issue you mentioned really started to take its toll.

yeah I should have said I still was more than down to watch BrBa at the start of S4.

It had its problems but it was an above average show and there isn't many of those.

S5 is where it really circles the drain.
>orange filter over an entire season
fuck you vince

I think the real problem is that they didn't have much of a "plan" from one season to the next, they were figuring out the story for each episode as they went. At a certain point, they'd just piled up too many plot-twists and high-stakes incidents for it to be plausible anymore, everything that happened was "canon" and they were stuck with the consequences, so the show couldn't be anything other than ridiculous.

Seasons 1-3 still felt like a real exploration of "mild-mannered chemistry teacher must do what it takes to sell drugs." Towards the end, it was like a comic-book movie about Heisenberg & Friends.

I didn't know bisexuality was a latinamerican cliche

Not either of them but this is perfectly demonstrated by the season 5 opener and the desire to lean on the characters strengths.

I mean a giant magnet in itself is not necessarily a deal break but my god. The way they go about that, the way they get away.

You just knew the show that had once been rather grounded was now a caricature of itself

It's always funny how liberals reveal their own racism when they're trying too hard to point out "racist" things others are doing
>whaaaat, since when does America require you to bring ID to vote??? don't they know most black people don't have driver's licenses?
Many such cases.

Did you mean to reply to somebody else?

>tfw I like them both

Nope, that (You) was for you :)

It is. Same with the pseudo Latino guy from Game of Thrones.

OP here. I'm Latin American, and bisexuality is a cliche.

>watch young pope
>expect him to be a bisexual nymphomanaic who takes pills, gets drunk, smokes weed, is atheist, has a kid, who is basically frank underwood
>he's just some boring fundee

dropped so hard

you have to go back

The Young Pope has more substance and insight in any given scene than The Leftovers has in its entire run. The former has actual truth about the human condition, while the latter is empty bullshit from the creator of Lost and Prometheus with a cloying manipulative score. The themes that the Leftovers has trouble with make up a fraction of what The Young Pope successfully explores while managing to be infinitely more entertaining.

It was a deliberate choice that directly ties into the themes of the show. But no one seems to be able to grasp that.

Elaborate, because I loved the show, but that moment seemed "off" to me as well. If it was a fitting punishment in some way, I didn't get it. I thought it was way too lax.

I expected there would be some further resolution after the scene where he points at the globe, some indication that there was an awful fate waiting for him in Alaska, but it doesn't get brought up again. And there was so much public/media attention on the case, I feel like people would be furious that the Pope went so easy on him

I could write about it for a while, but here's the cliff notes. It's implied that Kurtwell is lying to Lenny during the confession based on his two different versions of the story about his landlord. Based on this, and what we know about Lenny and how he has treated people he doesn't like throughout the season, we are expecting him to drop the ultimate punishment on this monster's head. Instead he calmly walks over and does his Ketchikan Alaska bit, which seems like a ridiculous punishment for the severity of the crimes. Gutierrez is taken aback by this as well in this scene. But what Lenny is doing is practicing what he preaches, which is love and forgiveness. Lenny is breaking the cycle of pain and punishment by being guilty of peace finally. It also ties into Ozolins' actions in the last episode, and how he was grateful to embrace the Saint who sent him out into the cold for ostensibly petty reasons.

>It's implied that Kurtwell is lying to Lenny during the confession based on his two different versions of the story about his landlord.
I also thought he was playing up his sob story, which is why I found it even stranger that Lenny went easy on him. And even in the midst of his "God is love" enlightenment, he takes a moment to literally smite Sister Antonia. Throughout the series, I got the impression that hypocrisy/use of the power of the Church to commit evil was the one thing he'd never go easy on.

So maybe it is significant that he chose to forgive Kurtwell, I just can't see how it wouldn't do more harm than good. Stuff like this in real life has been the most damaging thing for the Church's image - it isn't just the fact that these abuses happen, but that they're covered up or downplayed by the higher authorities of the Church. Not to mention the fact that there ARE children in Ketchikan, Alaska, so it's possible that Kurtwell could just keep doing what he does far away from the public eye.

There's also a lot going on with Lenny and children in the last episode or two. The awkward meeting with the third-grade class, and then RIGHT before he meets with Kurtwell, there's this odd scene where Lenny is watching a group of children playing in the Gardens. Sorrentino really frames him like the classic image of "stranger danger," standing off to the side and leering silently at the children with creepy music playing on the soundtrack.

When they cut straight from that to his meeting with Kurtwell, I thought it was meant to imply he was psyching himself up to get justice for "the children." But then... he doesn't.

I really want to watch the series again, because while I really did love it, there were definitely a few key moments in the finale that went over my head.

...then it's also a cliche for whites and blacks and everyone else. Does "cliche" just mean "a thing that exists sometimes?"

The Sister Antonia stuff is interesting, but once again you have to keep in mind that he went easy on Kurtwell later on. The key thing to remember with regards to the children in the final episodes is that Lenny says that the Church cares about all children. Also like all true great art the show does benefit from a rewatch, in the Kurtwell confession scene it's easy to miss Gutierrez's audience-surrogate reactions.

Yeah and now that I think back on it, sexual abuse wasn't the only problem with Sister Antonia, she had a monopoly on the only source of clean drinking water for a lot of people. When she dies, she's chugging a massive bottle of water from a refrigerator full of them. "Smiting" her probably saved lives, whereas punishing Kurtwell was about getting justice for crimes he'd already committed.

It still feels very strange, though. That scene didn't seem like "forgiveness" to me, he humiliates Kurtwell by making him banish himself with his shaky-ass hands. But at the end of the day, he gets the exact same punishment as the Cardinal who lightly insults Lenny at the beginning of the season.

And again, "the Church cares about all children" rings false when he's letting a serial child abuser go free. Ketchikan is remote but there are still people and families that live there.

I think there was something going on here that neither of us have picked up on yet

Why do you keep referring to me as "Amir"? I thought I told you, that I was a red blooded American. I'm not some raghead or brown person in a cafe. Your meme is stupid.

Frankly, I'm surprised Jude Law agreed to a second season when this director and writing team so obviously don't know what they're doing. Jude Law is definitely being under-utilized, he's basically designed for a machiavellian role, not some religious zealot one. I understand the Italians take their Catholicism very seriously, and so do a bunch of other brown people across the globe, but doing a reactionary show, as a form of backlash against the real life liberal Pontiff is just a pointless exercise. The Roman Catholic Church would go extinct in a few weeks with a real life Pius the XIII.

you're a real dumb fuck aren't you?

I assume he meant Bohemia. It is Western part of Czech Republic which is one of the least religions places on the planet. Also, Catholics wages crusades against them.

why did you feel the need to make weak political post? for some reason this show attracts some really stupid people. probably because of the religious premise

The show isn't about the church, it's about the protagonist's abandonment issues

>he's basically designed for a machiavellian role
That would be so much less interesting than what they actually did, and it's basically what the show appeared to be for the first half of the season.

I don't think it's just "reactionary" either, they're trying to examine the purpose the Church still holds in our lives. I felt like they chose a pretty good way to do that. Lenny starts out trying to follow all the rules of the Bible as written, and deals with exceptions as he encounters them one by one

It's definitely deliberate forgiveness. If you watch the scene again Gutierrez's reactions absolutely indicate an awareness of what's going on.

Is anyone else getting tired of The Young Pope meme? Stop trying to pretend to hate it for you's its 100% certified kino there should be no argument.

Unless you are just trying to get more people to watch for religious witnessing purposes than please carry on.

That just doesn't make sense, though, unless it was meant to be a mistake on Lenny's part. It's just tough to tell because it was the final episode and they don't really mention it again. You can forgive someone for what they've done, but still take the necessary measures to make sure they don't keep doing it. He could've forgiven Kurtwell and still had him excommunicated or arrested. "Forgiving" him by wiping the slate clean and pushing him off somewhere remote is just massively irresponsible.

I was paying attention to Gutierrez in that scene, but I didn't take it quite the same way as you did. He was outraged when Lenny told Kurtwell he could go back home, and relieved when it turned out Lenny was having him banished. The way the scene plays out kind of suggests that the exile to Ketchikan is an adequate punishment.

I have to give Sorrentino a little more credit than that, since the series was so well-done for the most part, and the Ketchikan thing comes up several times. Which is why I think I must be missing something big about the whole Kurtwell storyline

It's the fact that Ozolins was sent there as well. In the final montage he is warming his hands on the radio of Lenny's speech. It's about finding your way through the cold and dark, and realizing that being sent there was an act of love and forgiveness.