Can someone please give me legit reasons why this movie is so highly regarded?

Can someone please give me legit reasons why this movie is so highly regarded?

I thought it was nothing special, even boyhood was better.

That's what I thought

Yeah, I thought it was alright. The 3rd act was a bit lackluster imo.

my boyfriend doesn't like black people or gays.

will he like this?

He's black AND gay

The Reddit audience loves it.

Does anyone have any real criticism?

What's it even about? The trailer was just fucking black people crying, how the fuck am I supposed to know if I'd want to waste money seeing this movie from black people crying and award nominations?!

It's a black boy gets bullied because he might be gay episode

Because this is the world we live in now, the whole gay thing is done so weird in this movie. The character just comes off as autistic.

That sounds lame as fuck though. Is there an actual plot or is it really some Boyhood tier shit?

The only plot is about him struggling as we see three different stages of his life, so pretty much Boyhood. The cinematography is kinda nice but nothing amazing.

nigs gonna nig even they suck dick

This is an unfair opinion but I think all "black" movies are pretty much Oscar-bait, even the ones that don't try to be.
Not their fault because of their plight and historical context.
This is nice compared to bullshit like "The Intouchables" though.

I stopped watching 20 minutes in. It was exactly what I expected. Sterile, boring Oscar bait.

Great acting, good cinematography and directing, atmospheric score, touching story about a politically sensitive subjectI liked how quiet the third act was.

>why is Oscar bait so highly regarded?
Take a guess.

I watched it since a critic drew a resemblance between its style and the Taiwanese new wave, and I can kind of see the resemblance, even though Jenkins doesn't reach the levels of sinthetic representation of the time he's portraying and the boke was very very jarring at times.

While interesting in its treatment of pain and loneliness, specially through the music; it lacks a more focused vision on the enviroments of its characters. Lightning, when not using boring neon lights (the nightmare scene), is pretty superb too.

>a movie about gay niggers

Was there ever a more shameless oscarbait than this?

It's a nuanced and empathic piece of storytelling, rendered beautifully on all writing, acting, visual and sound fronts. It creates an acute sense of melancholy and redemptive love. It reveals the complexity and vulnerability behind a hypermasculine facade. These things are very obvious. It is obviously not going to be everyone's idea of entertainment, but I can see no reason why someone would watch and go 'nothing special' other than that they were waiting for some kind of mind-blowing twist and didn't have the willingness to engage with a patiently told, truthfully human story.

(That, or they were actively disinclined to interpret the characters as valid humans for certain subconscious reasons)

It's well shot, the colors are vibrant and give a dream like feel, and it's an authentic and honest movie about a loner growing up to become something he isn't because he feels pressured to by his environment. The actors are all very good, especially for Juan and the different Chirons. Even though they all look completely different you can still tell that inside, he's the same person

It's a story a lot of people can understand and relate to, regardless of race or sexuality. People complaining about hurr muh nigs muh gays muh oscarbait haven't seen it.

>MOVIE BOUT PPL IS POOPY Y MEAN NASTY CRITICS LIKE IT?

>MOVIE BOUT EBIN POST APOCLAYLPTIC EPIC SCI FI EXPLOSIONS EPIC MOVIE WHY SO UNDERRATED MEAN NASTY CRITICS BEIN MEAN

>caring about plot

The acting through the eyes
Very subtle

i know too many niggers and not enough action amirite

A+

This. This is literally the reason. Welcome to the 21st century, everyone.