We're almost closer to when this movie takes place than when it came out

>We're almost closer to when this movie takes place than when it came out
To the old fags, how does it feel to be old enough to experience all the space age futurery bullshit they portrayed in movies never come true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY
youtube.com/watch?v=qtgqxvaV-8U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't really care as long I'll have my vintage 2004 Converse All Stars™

Now's futuristic enough for me to appreciate just how far we've come.

Good because I still wouldn't see it even if I was born today. Sci-fi creators almost always vastly overstimate how fast science can advance.

I always cringe at that. I wonder how much they paid for that sponsor.
What do you consider futuristic about today's world?

The movie version of I, Robot is pretty conservative except for the whole robot thing.

>Sci-fi creators almost always vastly overstimate how fast science can advance.

And when they don't, they hilariously understimate it.

Well I'm talking to you right now for starters.

I'm just sad holodecks and replicators will never be a thing, at least not to that extent

>tfw no orion slave girl program

It's almost like it's really easy to nitpick which specific technologies happened and haven't.

>le ebin internet
How fucking old are you dude?

Probably in a couple of centuries, same with FTL travel (or something similar)

Any Sci-Fi that has us creating such advanced sentient AI anywhere in the near future is 100% bullshit. We aren't even close to understanding how our mind and brain really work, much less how to create one from nothing.

Of course, a lot of the material bullshits the bullshit by saying "oh no, it was an accident!"

We don't have to understand how our brains work, we just need to make something that can genuinely learn and give it the processing power it needs, not that that is easy nor something we'll have any time soon but the idea that we have to replicate how our brain works is retarded.

>We aren't even close to understanding how our mind and brain really work, much less how to create one from nothing.

You don't necessarily need to understand how something works in order to replicate it.

Refer to: You don't even need to replicate how our brains work nigga

>the internet isn't one of the single most advanced and successful achievements of human technology
How fucking young are you dude?

compare technology now to technology 30-40 years ago. it's insane. frankly thinking about it I realize I am ready to die.

Something similar to an holodeck isn't that farfetched. The big trick would be faking the objects being solid, probably would need gloves that transmit the sensation and shit.

A replicator would mean humanity learning how to easily transform energy into matter at our convenince, so better take a seat for the wait.

>FTL travel

Won't happen. The "something similar" part is up in the air, but physically being able to propel a vessel faster than light, nope.

>he thinks this technology is more than 10 years away

stay cucked faggot, AI robots will be here in 10 years

Sometimes they underestimate. Just look at how bulky all the "futuristic" technology looks in any movie from before the 2000s.

>implying every time you solve a burger captcha Google isn't one step closer to being sentient

Judgement Day will happen, it's inevitable

The displays is where they really underestimate in older movies.
Even Star Trek with all their shit uses CRT monitors

>30-40 years ago

Most of the stuff we had nowadays already existed within that time frame, it's just that a lot of refinemet and miniaturization happened. For example mobile phones were invented in the early 70s, and the GPS network was already operational in the mid 80s.

Because the path that the technology follows is really hard to foresee, for example in the 90's nobody would have thought of social websites, same thing for smartphones...Also a lot of sci-fi stories written more than 30 years ago are set in the future where the Cold war never ended, so the technology and the society are radically different from the ours

Like with what

Alien for one.

FTL does not adhere to the laws of physics. Lightspeed is the top speed in the universe, and nothing with mass can travel at lightspeed.

Its weird.

Everything was supposed to be plastic and robots

But other stuff came along. People have the majority of all the knowledge accumulated by humanity accessible in their pocket.

I can do business with people around the world and long distances charges are obsolete.

There are people with legit robotic arms and eyes.

I can get laid depending on which direction I swipe my screen.

What I've learned is that man and society have been very constant through ages, and technological developments are like frosting in a cake or window dressing, it's not innefectual but most times it is irrelevant and surprisingly sudden. Suddenly, it's odd to find someone be outside their house with no communications device. Like how people used to react if you told them you didn't watch television years ago.

Wow, that CGI aged like milk

GAY.I.

>Lost in space took place in the far off distant yesr of 1997

oldfag here.

have fun with the unemployment and genocide

I'll be worm food by the time AI takes over

>have fun with the unemployment and genocide

Basic income with AI robots taking the vast majority of menial jobs things are going to be better than ever.

People will have jobs in leisure/arts/hobby that they have a passion for, for supplemental income. People will spend a lot more on things they care about
It will allow small business ownership to come back with AI running the hobby stores.

People who want to make as much money as humanly possible will still do that, running their large businesses of running black out factories making goods.

But sadly thats still 100 years off from now.
The crash and the depression of automation is going to hit us and the next 30-40 years of children.

Luddites are coming back, its going to get worse before it gets significantly better

Thanks leftist scum for making sure people only care about trivial social bullshit instead of advancing technology.

DUDE 1980 AND 2010 ARE SO TOTALLY DIFFERENT I MEAN SMART PHONES AND TWITTER LMAO, FUTURE IS NEAR GUYS
kill yourselves faggots

This so much.

Crt monitors and tube back TVs, robot voices that sound like the first Microsoft Sam

>>We're almost closer to when this movie takes place than when it came out

not really, it came out in 2004 and takes place in 2036

so you'll have to wait until 2021 for that to happen

t. kid born in the 90's

1980 and 2010 are indeed very different

Explain then

How?

>tfw you won't get to go into space

>17 is almost 21
That's a pretty reasonable statement

>you will never be stuffed in a tin can and tossed into an airless vacuum that is 99.99% empty and extends so far and wide your brain literally can't compute its vastness but if you so much as look at it wrong it will give you super cancer and it might just do it anyway for kicks
I'm alright

I used to see video phones in movies about the future and thought it was the coolest shit. Now I'm too anxious to talk to people on skype. The future isn't what I thought it would be ;^;

Im a different user, but im not sure how you can trivialize the internet and connectivity we have today compared to the 80s.

We have consumer cars that pretty much drive themselves. We have full automated factories in china that require like 3 people to run them.

In the 80s people didnt even know what HIV or AIDS was.
Now humans are doing open heart surgery with astounding success.

Im not sure how you could even pretend that things are close to the same.

I prefer my romantic, if naive and possibly delusional, vision of space travel

sexbots when

But the cold war didn't end. We are still actively engaged in espionage, proxy wars and all be other cold war shit we've always traded with Russia

at this rate probably in 2018 or 2019

Is this a joke? Look at silicon valley. Or investment in research or science funding. Literally all American tech comes from liberal endeavours. Just stop.

In the grand scheme of things those are all surface level changes, everything you named is just new technology, the essential social behaviours are exactly the same. Consumer electronics (people read the news on their phones instead of from a newspaper, etc.), medical science, transportation and so on have progressed at a predictable rate but socially (as in learned human behaviour, not just how we interact on a daily basis) we've changed very little at all.

>US Congress is 91.8% Christian
>White House attempting to remove the EPA
>White House cabinet thinks Climate Change was invented by the Chinese

You're actually an idiot if you think the Left is halting the progression of science and technology

This thread is about technology not human nature you fucking dunce.

Don't forget their ban on stem cell research. I'm sure the stem cells are very thankful the big bad librul scientists just threw them away instead of utilizing them to save and improve lives

>we've changed very little at all.

We still have the instinct to fuck and eat
We havent changed at all since the danw of man!

How dumb do you have to be to not realize that 1980 and 2010 are vastly different? Go watch some YouTube videos of NYC or LA in 1980 or a documentary. I was born in '91 and its a no brainer.

You must live in a closed off mouth breathing bubble. Jesus Christ.

Have you seen the computers in aliens movies?

I mean there are functional sex roots now
Check out the documentary on Netlflix. It's called "My Sex Robot" or something like that

i meant like purchasable for a broader audience

>campaigns to defund Planned Parenthood
>abortions were never federally funded in the first place
>federal funds go towards STD testing, birth control and condom supplies, and breast examinations
>retards think women only apply for abortions in the late third trimester

I looked, only difference is no WTCs

>implying we won't have terminators in a decade
youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

>believing the "b-but PP provides other services!" lie

Then please blow my mind with the real truth here

My poor little mind is desperate to know

Like said, the progression of technology is very difficult to predict. Innovations happen in short, quick bursts; you live in a certain "era" of tech for 30 years, and then suddenly everything is changed because of the telegraph, or the automobile, or the radio, or the smartphone. Not to mention that much of technology is due to cultural wants and needs, which is nigh impossible to foresee. While the typical "chrome everything" future is fun to think about, it'll never happen because people in real life would get tired of that kind of thing real quick.

Yes the vast majority of their services are not abortions. There are a lot more girls getting mammograms and std tests than abortions. Regardless I'm all for abortion because it just means less poor people, specifically poor brown people

Not if long-distance entanglement booths have anything to say about it :^)

I think about this all the time.
I grew up imagining the future would be Star Trek:TNG, The Jetsons, flying chrome cars, everyone wearing sleek silver jumpsuit uniforms, everything metallic, space aged looking, but in reality the future is black people riding in low ride cars that look dumb, with McDonald's wrappers spilling out of their cars. Pretend thugs walking the streets with their pants hanging below their ass...

>implying the alt-right doesn't support abortion as a form of self eugenics (the poor and black have the highest rates of abortion)

waahh thing aren't how I want them waaaaahhhh ;(

Did either of those actually show or mention people below the poverty line? As far as I know star trek was a post scarcity society so it's not suprising it's future never panned out

youtube.com/watch?v=qtgqxvaV-8U
I don't agree with the overall message of this video or group since I am pro-abortion myself, but the amount of abortions PP does is vastly understated compared to the number of patients they serve.

>Regardless I'm all for abortion because it just means less poor people, specifically poor brown people
Same.

I've accepted it. You've assumed I'm crying about it. You're over projecting user.

Nope. It was always some distant planet with unevolved civilizations living in huts in fiction. Never us.

>far extremes are the only parties that matter
Jesus H Christ

I'm not talking about the alt-right. I'm talking about the vast majority of United States citizens that don't understand science

I never brought up the 3% statistic, however the video is pretty informative. Still doesn't exactly discredit the original argument though.

Sup Forums literally existed when this movie came out dude.

>false fantasy future
>reality
>dis is ya real fut-cha BITCH!

That won't be you, just a copy of you.
You will be killed in the process.

People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a camera with mini helicopter rotors stuck on it. Good luck being able to afford a realistic sex robot any time in the near future.

yeeeeeyaaaaahhh boyeeeee!

Accurate futuristic movie

We used to laugh at the stupidity of movie people having real time video chat using these small screens.

naw not even dat shit aint happen. dats deloosional dreemy hipster shit

>AI
>accurate

>What do you consider futuristic about today's world?
Self driving cars mostly, just like in iRobot.