How true is the dumb jock stereotype?

How true is the dumb jock stereotype?

Like a lot of stereotypes it has some basis in reality but isn't completely true. A lot of jocks are fairly smart because the discipline it takes to be a good athlete also translates well into studying for classes, and because some HS coaches have academic requirements for their players.

And of course it depends on where you are and what the sport is. Rural Deep South basketball/football is going to be full of idiots, suburban northeastern baseball/lacrosse is going to be smarter.

Doesn't exist anymore. Nowadays the jocks are also really good students, since they are the kids with their shit together. The poor students dont play sports, they stay at home and jerk off to anime or whatever. The varsity athletes also belong to three school clubs, have high GPAs, and does volunteer work all to make himself competitive for college apps.

goddamn Chris Evans is such a Chad

i went to a northeast high school and pretty much all the "jocks" were C and D students. actually speaking of baseball, one of the best pitchers on the varsity team now sells several pounds of marijuana out of his mother's house every week.

>northeast high school

Well, yes. They were C and D students because they were competing against other Northeasterners, which is quite different demographically from the Deep South.

I'd say it depends on the position you play

Being a quarterback probably requires the most improvisation/knowledge than any other position on the team

What kind of northeast? Maybe I should have been more specific, I was picturing like Bethesda, Portsmouth, Cambridge or some place like that. If you went to school in South Boston or the Bronx then it's different.

In nice areas the jocks are A students. In shitty nigger ghettos the nig athletes are dumb as fuck, but they would have been dumb as fuck either way.

uh that's not how school works. you are graded depending on your personal performance not how you stack up to the most elite students.

I think this is about right. I went to a pretty good private school (Pinecrest) and even the students who had a legit shot at going pro did fairly well in class (like Brandon Knight).

here a lot of top football players are autistics with no social skills who are living their dad's dreams, that's why they marry the first girl that pays attention to them

Most of the kids who were good at sports at my school were pretty smart as well.

it was in new york. not the city.

Depends on the sport. Kneelball and apehoop players are usually functionally retarded, but it's less because of the sport and more because the average player is a dindu.

What the hell are you talking about?
Do you think there exists some national standard that all teachers have to which all teachers have to adhere?

Educational systems vary greatly from state to state. The Northeast is generally regarded as having the very best, the Deep South has the worst. Massachusetts, if it were a country, would be 3rd or 4th best in the entire world going by standardized testing. Arkansas wouldn't even be top 50.

there were advanced placement classes for anyone who excelled. everyone else was taught the exact same curriculum. i "competed" against the "jocks" in the same regular classes and i was a B student while they were Cs and Deez.

>New England has the best education in the country
>Iowa and Minnesota usually fairly high up as well
>Deep South and California almost always last

I wonder what causes that?

Holy shit... FLHS?

this is based obviously in America since most of your athletes are niggers

My high school team's QB was dumb as a sack of rocks, possibly the dumbest white person ive ever know. The linemen were for the most part the best students/could have conversations of any substance other than "ook ook me still in algebra 1 as a senior."

Lol you're full of shit and you know it. Quit making up stories on Nepalese watercoloring on-line emporium

Oh yes, Spain is famous for its intelligent athletes.

t. someone who didn't play football and follows media narratives

I live around DC and the jocks in my area were all straight A students going to top universities
and the female athletes as well, they're all at top 50 universities

The black jocks though, dumb as bricks

nope. bought an eighth from him last week.

I'm still sure that some dumbass like Ramos is still smarter than all those chimps at the US of A

Depends on sport where I live. The football players at my high school were practically all failing and more hickish than others. Tennis players are all straight A students. Everything else was kind of in between. Played high school baseball and started for 3 years on varsity, people were mixed in terms of intelligence. I wasn't the smartest but I still went to the top public institution in my state.

I'd love to test that. We could make it into a gameshow: "Are You Smarter than Sergio Ramos?"

wtf m8 i have glasses and a ponytail fite me

do american jocks really wear those dorky sweaters

Never wore it when I was on varsity. Even though some of my teammates did. We just wore our uniforms in class on game days. It probably sounds weird and maybe cringey to Euros but that's what we did.

nah. they just get t-shirts with the team logo on it nowadays. remember we're not allowed to celebrate exceptional people anymore everyone is the same everybody gets a trophy.

It's a letterman jacket, and it depends on the school. When i played HS football, we didn't get jackets, but we got framed letters at the end of the season. On Fridays at school before the game that night, we had to wear our jerseys to class since we didn't have jackets.

I was varsity in basketball and lacrosse and we got the jackets but none of us ever wore them. We were allowed to wear jackets or jerseys on fridays before games, and we all just wore the jerseys. Personally I always thought of it as a football thing more than anything else.

O-linemen are usually the smartest people on the field. Those fat fucks are book nerds or some shit. The big idiots go to d-line where it's just "move man out way, tackle ball."

I was on the chess team and had a Letterman jacket

My dad's dream was for one of his three( actually four) to make it pro. He settled on boxing and my sister and brother made it to The Golden gloves championship round 4 total. My brother is 1 for 2 as is my sister. What I'm getting at is that they had a shot at going pro until my sister got pregnant and my brother has a nail gun accident and delivers food with my father's car

O-linemen are generally just nicer guys too. I remember trying to hit those guys, fucking ricocheting off of them, and they're always there with a hand out like "dude you ok?". D linemen on the other just delight in fucking you up.

I didn't play football but I played baseball and hung out with a lot of the football team. Whatever you need to think to sleep at night before your mcdonalds shift, though

It doesn't sound that bad, if we were allowed to wear what we want at school I'm sure half the boys would have came in wearing a football kit just for a kickabout during lunch break. I'm pretty sure every school here puts you in isolation if you don't bring proper shoes and come in trainers/sneakers.

don't britbong jocks wear their full kits to school?

No every school here has a uniform, even from primary school, although the primary school uniform tends to just be a white tshirt and a jumper, in secondary school it's basically a full suit and tie job.

It was just a meme pushed by proto /r9k/ beta virgins in an attempt to "get even"

British schools literally have uniforms and "houses". It's Harry Potter irl,.