Ok I'm one of these "I don't likee musicals but I loved La La Land"

Ok I'm one of these "I don't likee musicals but I loved La La Land".
I think I was just too young when I tried to other movies of the same genre.
So now the question is : what are the best musicals (I've already seen Phantom of the Paradise), and where did LLL took its inspirations from?

LLL/musicals thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPmsWTfn3sM
youtube.com/watch?v=imCOi7pqKh0
youtube.com/watch?v=3bo16vbb89s
youtube.com/watch?v=EbgXxjxFPfU
youtube.com/watch?v=6IWv53ZFXFo
youtube.com/watch?v=ClGNm89GZBE
vimeo.com/200550228
vimeo.com/200761910
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The cannibal one by Matt and trey from south Park. It's on YouTube, they also have the commentary which is pretty funny.

I tried to watch lala land but turned it off after 1minute

LLL is a throwback to pre-1970s "golden age hollywood" musicals so start there. Singin in the Rain is generally accepted as the greatest musical of all time.

it was also influenced heavily by Jaques Demy who did his own post-modern takes on Hollywood musicals throughout the 70s and 80s, so definitely see Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Mademoiselles des Rochefort

oops that should be "Desmoiselles des Rochefort"

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPmsWTfn3sM

Fag

POTY right here

I generally like musicals but I thought La La Land was trash.

I liked it because it doesn't feel the need to have songs too often, unlike traditional musicals. Sometimes it feels too rigid to have every scene have a song to me.

She is hyper extending her back.

What does Emma Stone smell like?

youtube.com/watch?v=imCOi7pqKh0

What a bad posture, she is buying an express ticket to herniated disc land

does LLL have good tunes? i love jazz but the movie seems a bit of a soppy romance film. early betty hutton is the shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=3bo16vbb89s
youtube.com/watch?v=EbgXxjxFPfU
youtube.com/watch?v=6IWv53ZFXFo
youtube.com/watch?v=ClGNm89GZBE

>2 plate

If you like concept albums, just think of musicals as weird variations of concept albums.

I do like concept albums. Nice way to put it. I think something that bothers me a bit with musicals in general is the lack of diversity in the setups/genres/atmospheres, I know it sounds weird but combining it with different genres would be interesting. Imagine a SF musical or something like that (if it doesn't already exist)

without the musical geek bias i have to recommend the latest Les Miserables adaptation. it wasn't good at all. but even when i found it objectively bad i have to say that the concept ("live" performances) behind it was more than interesting. also there were some small parts that got to be as great as the concept allowed them to, not many agree but there are some Huge Actman songs that i felt were kind of improved by the concept and the format, it would have even suffered a little bit if translated to musical theater.

as a guy who hates musicals, here are the ones i can tolerate
>grease
>across the universe
>the pick of destiny
>tim burton's sweeney todd
>disney movies
that's about it off the top of my head. i just generally hate when a movie has to sing their fucking dialogue. it's like the whole story just comes to a halt. so the ones i tolerate are the ones with decent songs

my favorite musical film is Rent. it has it's flaws but it's fun, poignant and the fact that they almost entirely used the cast from the theater really improved the final result.

BRAAAAAAPPPPP

is that one of those plates that looks like a 45 but is actually 15 or 20?

weight lighting plates. they all are the same size so the weaker people don't have to bend down excessively to deadlift.

It's not Sup Forums but Hamilton. I hate musicals but like it.

vimeo.com/200550228
vimeo.com/200761910

But I'd suggest Les Miserables.

Ah ok, it's so simple I should have picked up on that. I mostly asked because I just started lifting again and I would feel bad if a girl was lifting two 45s, when I can only do 8 reps @ 165 currently.

are you ready for kino tho?

As a jazz fan I enjoyed the soundtrack, but some songs are definitely hard to listen to after watching LLL because of the emotions tied to.

>you will never bury your face in her sweaty taint

Any point continuing like this?

>>disney movies
>tfw my favorite Disney movie doesn't have songs
I always had a hard time with forcing musical scenes every 5 minutes.

I might end up checking that one of these days, I fucking love Clipping. (I know it won't be the same but yeah, still Daveed Deegs and he's pretty good)

as long as i like the story and the songs are okay i can tolerate the format. like "blues brothers" (forgot to mention them). great movie, good songs, so it's fine. "attack of the killer tomatoes" is another fine musical. i sort of tune out during the songs even if i like the movie

I usually have a hard time with Von Trier but I'll take your word and try this one.

Also thanks everyone for recs etc

>attack of the killer tomatoes
fuck me, i don't know why i said that. i meant "little shop of horrors"

>as a jazz fan

Name 8467395 good jazz artists.

How did she grow such a nice booty?

>starting a sentence with "Ok"
>ending a sentence with "I guess"

are you sure you're on the right webzone friend?

>Being ESL
Yep, that's me.

My Fair Lady is 11/10 elder god tier

*sharts*
>oh hehe excuse me hehe

I like anything with Maurice Chevalier in it.

If you like Phantom of the paradise you would also enjoy rocky horror picture show too, op. It also features one of the best character introduction scene of all time.

pleb

I really liked The Last 5 Years
a little wonderful movie

back is flat, fuck you on?

Victor/Victoria, Julie Andrews being baller as fuck.

If you haven't seen Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music I thoroughly recommend them. The latter is rather long, maybe work up to it or simply make use of the lengthy intermission it has. Thoroughly Modern Millie is another fun Andrews movie, though not her best.

For classics I would say go back and watch whatever interests you, there's so many good ones. But for sure watch Singin' in the Rain and Royal Wedding.

Chicago is a great movie, and it won best picture for a reason. It's a love letter to Bob Fosse and the work he did on stage and screen. While we're talking about Fosse, watch Cabaret. Both of these films are stage musicals that manage to tweak themselves just so to become different, equally good or better on screen.

Also Moulin Rouge! is fun af, but super in your face, but it's a jukebox musical save for one song. Across the Universe is another good, more recent, movie musical. Grease is good, and I'm partial to Grease 2.

The Fabulous Baker Boys is hella underrated.

Oh, I forgot All That Jazz, which is more or less a movie Fosse directed about his own career, though not in name. And another good stage to film adaptation is A Chorus Line. Little Shop of Horrors.

There's so many senpai.

Sweet Charity.