Shame on the house of Ptolemy for such brutality. Shame

Shame on the house of Ptolemy for such brutality. Shame.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_Pullo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition
youtube.com/watch?v=M_JVaMuZZBQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Caesar
>White and not black
Fucking dropped. Why do cumskins have to steal our history?

He was an enemy!

>... Roman law.
>Is there any other kind, you wretched woman?

HE WAS A CONSOLE OF ROME

A console of Rome

cato was best character

Cato was the patsy of a corrupt and dying system

Rome posting is the most patrician form of posting

caesar for real though just calm down and check out the pompey puppet for one second, I promise you'll laugh

so am i

MUH SENATE

trve roman posting for trve romans

HE BLACKENS HIS EYES WITH SOOT LIKE A PROSTITUTE

CICERO > ALL

took his execution like a man

HE DANCES AND PLAYS THE CYMBALS IN VILE NILOTIC RITES

youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0

I curse the lack of good wholesome Roman movies/TV shows.

mm i bet this guy smells like french toast and fried sausages

No, he smells like flour provided by the Capitaline Brotherhood of Millers. Trve Roman bread, for trve Romans.

cicero was pretty good too

damb, i miss this shoe

HE WORSHIPS CATS AND REPTILES ON AN EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC WALLFACE

I stilll don't understand how the fuck this show was that expensive to make

Fuck all the people responsible for making it not longer than it is

someone else was using my computer

shame on the house of OP for not writing barbarity. shame

>I stilll don't understand how the fuck this show was that expensive to make

It was mostly the set designs I think

I would kill for a show like this covering the Byzantines.

whats the etymology of "byzantine"?

Set designs, wardrobe and catering add up.

The name of the city senpai. I don't think it's a Greek or Latin name.

Make Way for best Octavian

>tfw I know all the character actors by name because of this show

David Bamber is great, he deserves more work

Please let's explore deeper. Why was it named that?

Muh king of the north

Byzantium was an ancient Greek colony on the site that later became Constantinople, and later still Istanbul. Byzantium was colonised by the Greeks from Megara in c.657 BC.

So Vorenus is fatally injured in Egypt
The Northern Ports are blocked by patrols looking for Caesarean
Vorenus wants to go home to the Aventine
The means months of trekking throw Egypt, Judea, Macedonia and down throw Italy to Rome

How did he survive that long without infection killing him?

Historians use the term Byzantine to differentiate from the Western Roman Empire, as the Byzantines called themselves Romans.

Trve Kvlt Rvman.

Why did they call it Byzantium? What does that word mean?

Post yfw this is kind of based on reality

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_Pullo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium
took me 10 seconds.

As New York City was once New Amsterdam, Istanbul was once Byzantium.
It's a useful handle to discuss the Eastern Roman Empire after the collapse of the Western Empire.

What does the word Byzantium mean, though?

They should just make a spiritual successor to Rome and call it Constantinople

Dosent really roll of the tounge as well though

it's greek for "read a fucking book you semi-literate trash"

Which book explains what the name Byzantium means?

I don't know if anyone knows what it means.

It was illegal to crucify a citizen

t. Roman

Shitstorm online by Greeks and Turks alone makes me not want that happennng

SPQR by Mary Beard is the latest layman-accessible survey. off you go now.

What is a book?

interesting, it's a selling point for me.

Mel Gibson directs the Battle of Cannae.
If I were a billionaire I'd bankroll it just for my own amusement.
Anyone who has studied Classical Antiquity would agree.

Not reading a book by a women

It is a mystery

Those were my sentiments exactly. I don't read fiction by women as a rule. But she's the English language expert on Rome right now and I'm a Romeaboo.. Sad.

Mary Beard has several documentaries about Rome. I haven't watched a single one, and never will.

There must be a man with better expertise

absolute state of you two virgins

I love everything about this post.

in fact it is my deep experience with women that informs my policy.
some day you too shall understand.

Maybe ATTIA OF THE JVLII demanded more money to show her tits for season 3?

this guy was based af

This! Cicero was a scholar and a man

and the most well-documented human being until the middle ages. there are volumes of his writings, speeches, court cases, diaries, correspondence and so on.

Ovid was way better documented. Also, what does "Byzantium" mean?

Romely thread reminder that Brutus and his ilk damned all of us to deal with another two thousand fucking years and counting of the corrupt republic.
>Muh it's the best we got
Stagnation in changing and improving how we govern ourselves allows corruption to take foot and spread, eventually allowing such cancer to reach a point to where removing such corruption is impossible without death of the host.

Instead now we live our lives fully aware that we live under the influence of a government controlled by corporations and that our government exists to benefit such corporations while maintaining juuust enough comfort and sense of benefit to the common man to keep them placated.

We have been fucked for multiple millennia. We occasionally throw off our rapist, be it through revolt or whatever means, but we get comfortable and allow another to straddle our ever willing backsides and fuck us for another century or more.

Our assholes are so wide at this point we don't even know what it was like to not be fucked.

We have trump now, and soon le pen, it's the start of a new era, liberty is here friend

But Julius, you are the corporations

the sets cost a lot but there was also a fire that destroyed the most expensive ones, dunno which exactly, so they had to be rebuilt.

>Muh dictatorship is bad compared to the republic
Kay. Honestly I don't see much of a difference compared to democracy and dictatorship except for the illusion that we have some sort of control.

At the time Julius ceasing control from the republic was necessary. We can argue about that all day, but I bet we can both agree that the Senate was and is corrupt.

Do you really not know the difference between seizing and ceasing?

What does Byzantium mean? (NOT ASKING YOU BTW)

Fucking auto correct.

Yo I had the chance to live in both a democracy and a dictatorship and I've come to the conclusion that worst democracy is better than any dictatorships we have around these days

JC might have turned out to be good ruler in the end, but no guarantee that who follows will be the same; in democracies margin of error tends to be much tolerable

Apparently it means this, I'm gonna go Byzantium my penis now.

lol. No one is buying that you retard.

>We can argue about that all day, but I bet we can both agree that the Senate was and is corrupt.

Part of the reason the senate was so ineffective by the time Caesar took over, was that much of the "good" senators (i.e. the ones that were vocal) had been killed in the preceding years by Sulla. This left the senate more or less teeth less.

The army reforms pushed by Gaius Marius that made legions more loyal to their commander didn't help the senate's ability to govern either.

Oh I agree. 99% of the time dictatorships are shit and fucked for the majority, and democracy is the best we have.
However letting ourselves be fucked for thousands of years because it's the best we have isn't exactly the answer either.

I'm pretty sure either young or old octavian voiced Gwyndolin in DaS

This might be one of the alternatives to representative democracy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition

WE

Okay baby, whatever floats your autistic boat. I'll seize my cock over the cessation of your insipid mewling.

sets and costumes

its a shame it didn't get more seasons, it should have been more popular than it was. If it was made now it definitely would be based on how successful GoT and shows like Vikings are

>tfw reading about all the shit they shoved into the second season or just gave up on

this show had everything but a chance :(

>seizing
Fun fact
Caesar was an epileptic and this where seizures took their name from

HE PLAYS THE CYMBALS IN VILE NILOTIC RITES

But it was as popular as Vikings by ratings and a huge hit by DVD sales which they were too stupid to realize.

youtube.com/watch?v=M_JVaMuZZBQ

Pure fucking kino

It fucking sucks that Kevin McKidd and James Purefoy rarely acted in interesting movies/series after this one, they became my favorite actors after watching Rome

At least Ray Stephenson and Ciaran Hinds have some more movies under their belt

Lol it blends so well

even deserters?

Purefoy was based but McKidd?

vorenus was the shittiest acted character in the whole thing

any place where I can stream the show for free?

Vorenus has been a main character on grey's anatomy for idk how many seasons so I don't feel too bad for him
Pullo deserves better tho

Did the Romans really have whistle technology that, looking at that video, seems on a par with our own?

Blackbeard in Black Sails

Flutes were a thing much much before the Romans, and whistles aren't that of an innovation after that so I'd say they did

That's the way the character was meant to be though, stern and aloof. I thought he did a great job

In the end, it's Grey's Anatomy

He also did that fantasy/drama Journeyman thing, wasn't anything special but not bad either. That got cancelled after 1 season too (lel). I see Pullo quite often in movies and tv shows, though among the four that I've mentioned I think he's the least talented actor (still love him though)

BACK IN FORMATION!

oh shit I didn't realize that was him

Is it just me or is Attia the best female character of all time? Especially the scene when she almost gets poisoned

Yet they did not call their city Roma. Therefore even they knew that they were full of shit.