Explanation There Will Be Blood

I loved the film but I didn't really understand the ending so I was wondering if someone could explain it: What made Daniel go insane? Why did he turn against his (sort of) son? And what was the whole deal with Eli? And why did he kill him afterwards? Can someone explain this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sU1EueTAHRQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He couldnt get an erection. Thats literally the reason he was so angry and driven, He was impotent.

Bump

he was a greedy asshole

He was insane from the beginning, what movie did you watch?

A movie in which he started off as an ambitious and decent guy, then slowly gets corrupted and in the end does some weird shit because of some motives I don't understand

He was never a decent guy, watch it again. He didn't just snap all of a sudden.

I suppose you're right, he did kill that imposter after all which was pretty unnecessary but was Eli's murder also merely part of his madness or did he have some other reason for having done so?

He literally explains his own character word for word in one of the scenes with his fake brother.

Something like "some people want to succeed, I just want to watch others fail". He was an extremely petty and jealous character. He acted nice whenever he was on top, like when he can present himself as a big shot entrepeneur to a village of peasants, but as soon as someone else bigger than him moves into the picture he becomes a bitter asshole.

When his son became a grown man, married, and starting his own company, he was stepping out of Daniel's shadow. This was unacceptable to him. Same with Eli, he wanted to bring him down hard ever since that scene in the church where he had to grovel, something a character like Daniel could never forget.

He was a crazy greedy bastard from the beginning. He wasn't evil, I think he adopted the kid because it was all he could do after watching someone he worked with die horribly and being left with his orphaned son. But being the crazy greedy bastard he was he eventually used the kid as a marketing strategy.

He did care for the kid though, at least when he was still a kid. I think the scene where HW returns from the school and slaps his dads shit around says a lot. He kind of just takes it for a minute, then makes him stop, and they stare at each other before they continue walking. I picked up a "okay, I get it, I deserved that, now stop it you little shit" vibe from that scene.

As he got older, he got crazier. Simple. This guy was classic borderline, petty grudges drove him to murderous rage. And Daniel disowned his son in the end because he wouldn't continue the family business, which is a blow to his ego and seen as a betrayal.

tl;dr - he was crazy and greedy, not evil. shit doesn't have to be black and white to have a message.

Quite an interesting and good explanation, thank you. Would you say that Eli is in a way just like Daniel? Except attempting to profit off of religion instead of the oil business?

>and decent guy
how old are you user?

22, but I'm most likely a piece of shit myself which is why I thought of him as decent

More likely because you're a 90's born fag who lacks comprehension. There's seriously something wrong with you guys.

I think Daniel knew that Eli was a faker from the first time he met him and also felt good about knowing how to push his buttons, like when he snubs him from blessing the oil well.

Daniel probably hated that Eli got the better of him with the baptizing stuff, so when he got a chance at the end to stomp him into the ground as revenge he took it.

Holy shit you're an idiot. Daniel was the same person in the beginning of the film as he was at end of the film.

Fuck yourself

please don't have children

Bruv, rub one off and calm down
Did mommy didnt give you your medicine today?

>in the end does some weird shit because of some motives I don't understand

>he did kill that imposter after all which was pretty unnecessary

My god

>Bruv,
You're a retarded little fag who made a pathetic thread. You deserve all the shit you get. Fucking nigger.

Alright, thank you for your wonderful and sensible input. Means a lot.

To the others: Thanks for explaining

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Stop posting dumb threads kiddo.

You're too stupid for this movie user. Maybe you should watch force awakens instead.

Im not op and your samefagging is so obvious so worthless son of a fucking cunt
Goddamn retarded autist do i have to get mad and fucking insult you like this? He was trying to fucking understand the movie

Fuck your whore mother. Wish your dad would've pulled out. Fucking sperging waste of space

Why the fuck are you morons taking it so personally? Does it make you feel better about yourselves or something?

OP here, why the hate?

Hi op

>Goddamn
You 90's born faggots really need to expand your vocabulary. Why do you feel the need to drop this in almost all your posts? Fucking queers.

Trying to understand the movie and asking stupid questions that could be answered by actually watching the film and paying attention are different.

Stupid faggot, only one of those posts was me.

What year were you born in? (OP here) and no those two posts are not by me, why are you so angry?

>this "i hate the word goddamn" meme

Seriously what the fuck? This is the third time im seeing this on Sup Forums in 2 days. Are you overly religious or just plain retarded?

And btw GODDAMN. Suck a dick faggot

It's nothing to do with religion, at least not with me anyway. It's just 90's born faggots seem to feel the need to drop damn! or goddamn! in almost every fucking post. Are you a nigger or a mountain man? No? Then shut the fuck up.

Only word you need to know for this kind of film?

Power.

OP should just stick to playing pokemon on his DS

Maybe you'd feel more at home on reddit

(OP here) I don't have a DS

(OP again) Maybe you can borrow me yours, my friend

*lend I meant

Lol u sound like a goddamn queer

I wonder how did you even enjoy the movie considering the basic ideas just flew over your head. Were you high or something?

So he's basically like Trump?

Nope, but I did enjoy the film; just thought it'd be worthy discussing with sensible individuals

You faggots are extra retarded today.

>Maybe you can borrow me yours
Fucking hell user, could you be any more of a nigger?

man you drumpfkins are easily triggered. Sad! Many such cases!

you're too stupid to hold a conversation, crawl back in to whatever hole you came from.

He was obcessed with his profession, when his son started his own company, he became a competidor and he coudn't accept it.

Eli slapped him in front of the congregation while making him reveal his repressed feelings about his worker's son and he only played along to get away with murder, now eli comes back with an uninteresting offer but also that old attitude of advantage from 'where we left' that was something he had to fix and to bury him was a promise he once made.

This movie is like the nightcrawler of oil.

Silly boy, I'm not even american. You millennial fags feel the need to equate everything with trump these days. Why don't you try having a rational thought instead of spouting buzz words and memes?

>Nigger nigger nigger...

You're probably the type of guy who got sexually abused as a child (possibly by a black person), then turned into an embittered closeted homosexual unable to express his true feelings, thus trying desperately to fool us by exclaiming your racial hatred on a forum about tv-series/movies

>dat reaction
Are you new or something?

You're a millenial too, sweetheart.

Daniel didn't go insane, he hated people and got sick and tired of Classic Dano.

Your samefagging is pathetic, but then again; so are you... why don't you get off this board, buy yourself a fine slice of pizza and collect your thoughts as to why you have anger issues

anyone would do that to paul dano given the chance

Giving (You)s to the quality answers that deserve it instead of the worthless posts that I didn't quote

Nah dude we love the word goddamn. Shit is groovy. What other ancient phrases do you have for us?

It's also worth mentioning Daniel was a raging alcoholic who only got worse and worse by the time he lived in the mansion.

>I'm not even American

Then you literally don't matter

Don't bother. Yuros are ridiculously ignorant.

So you hate trump and you hate foreigners?
wat

>assuming he is millenial
>assuming he is euro
My god, american liberals are the new white trash.

Eli thinks money will bring him happiness. He gets rich and he's unhappy.

He thinks family will bring him happiness. His "brother" is a liar just looking for some cash. Daniel kills him.

He thinks religion will bring him happiness. The only religious person he knows RENOUNCES HIS GOD in front of him FOR MONEY. Daniel kills him.

What he doesn't realize is that all he ever wanted was a family, but he was unable to have his own, thus felt resentment towards his son.

We don't consider you. You don't matter.

>You don't matter
Acts as if he does

I'm not American. Now you're a double retard.

You can't speak English properly. Trust me when I tell you people don't care about you.

Now I'm confused, who's the faggot that started all the hatred amongst these explanations?

To add, the script makes a big deal that DANIEL IS IMPOTENT. His dick doesn't work. This is important because a lot of his character is about wanting a family but disowning anyone that comes near him ("brother", "son"). Note he only gets rid of HW after he's found his brother.

How about you show yourself for a change? You're a lowly piece of scum that probably didn't even graduate

I thought of it as "eli= the old time, obsolete locus of social order"
Daniel= "the new, modernist locus of social control"

Daniel's ideology overcomes Eli's and replaces it as the authority on the godhead for the masses.

Dude wtf, there's nothing wrong with his English... Are you getting desperate for insults or something?

The only thing that's relevant is what made it into the film, and that is omitted.

This music soundtrack is equally amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=sU1EueTAHRQ

I mean, maybe metaphorically, but PTA seems to care more about characters. yet there are bigger themes, but they all arise from the character's inner thoughts and feelings. His films aren't so artsy, and they feel based in strong human emotions, not such grand thematic ideas.

I didn't know that.

movie*

Sure. But in this case, it seems more like it was taken out because it didn't need to be said. It was on the nose, too explanatory. We already know Daniel is unmarried and his son's an orphan, there's no need for this scene.

>Note he only gets rid of HW after he's found his brother.
Thats because he cannot talk to the boy anymore, he was his only friend and now they can't talk.
Without ears hw was obsolete, and he made things worse by communicating through fire.

It'd be quite an assumption to take that as impotence, though. He's also extremely anti-social and highly competitive; there are enough other factors to attribute to him not being able to cultivate a family based on what's in the film to where it's not that clear.

>Trust me
>People don't care about you
Man, I really hope your day is as pleasant as you are

I did, sorry.
I really hate americans.

He killed his "brother" because he was fake. The Fake even mentioned he doesn't want to hurt Daniel, which made things much worse.

But it could be many things, i thought it was because he was a weirdo, i am 30 and i have no family either, doesn't mean i am impotent, its just that i am ugly, and awkward, and i have no oil company... if only it was easy to buy guns here, i would probably not be able to afford it...
brb.

(OP here) would it be safe to assume that Daniel killing Eli was a direct act of vengeance for putting him through that embarrassing confession? Or was it more or less because of him being sick of Eli's power play of acting like a false prophet, testing Daniel in the process?

Daniel never got over the rape at the brothel, so he took it out on HW and Eli. What you saw at the end was the manifestation of years of emotional and physical trauma.

yes

(OP) /thread

The movie has pedophilia undertones and oil is used as a metaphor to hide the fact that Daniel rapes HQ from childhood, only replacing him when incest card shows up, Eli represents society's view of homosexuality (a direct conflict to Daniel's way of life) so PEQUOD gets too big for boytoy and is no longer useable, brother is not brother so can't wincest, gets kill, Eli non-progressive arguments can't counter bowl pin rhetoric and he coincidentally dies.
The closing scene is a fuck you to viewers as Daniel turns his back to the audience and say "i have already finished" as in completing his mission of fighting for real love regardless of social/legal approval.

He killed him because he got the better of him and conned him.

>What made Daniel go insane?
Repressed homosexuality. He lived in a time when he wasn't allowed to be comfortable with who he really was.
>Why did he turn against his (sort of) son?
He suspected he was gay and was threatened by it because he saw it as a reflection of his own failures.
>And what was the whole deal with Eli?
He was attracted to him.
>And why did he kill him afterwards?
After buggering him senseless he was ashamed of himself.
>Can someone explain this?
The whole movie is a message to be comfortable with your sexuality.

What a terrible thread.
Everyone involved should be ashamed, including myself for responding to this drek.
None of you will be getting any (you)s from me for this fiasco.