What is this autismal garbage? Literally movie is about nothing and nothing interesting happens

What is this autismal garbage? Literally movie is about nothing and nothing interesting happens.

>Woah my relative died and now I have to deal with my emotions

Why is it so highly rated?

simpleton

Maybe you should just stick to watching Zach Snyder movies.

I've only seen Watchmen and 300 the latter was shit. Plus he's a manlet.

did you ever have a relative die?

its a pleb filter

yes, my dad died on christmas

Haha yeah

>waaaahh my brother died and my whole family died in a fire

It's like, grow up you pussy

Btw anybody else dead inside? haha me neither

edgy cuck-fueled garbage for le capeshit oscar bait film school buff meme crowd
>lmao i'm gonna blow my head off
>haha le fridge
die reddit die

all of my relatives have died. people that pretend it's sad just want attention

Well check out some more of his movies. I think they'll be more your speed.

holy shit you people just can't enjoy anything anymore.

What is there to enjoy while watching this movie?

Study in grief. I went in skeptical but it won me over.

I think you mean the former

it's beautiful

and people who pretend it's not sad...provoke others online with bait threads? which side do you think is dealing with their emotions more effectively?

how a movie can touch hard and painful subjects without over dramatizing them, with humanity and humor

sorry to hear that. my mom died two years ago between thanksgiving and christmas. it sucks.

It didn't touch me at all, The Iron Giant was more touching than this.

>watch the movie
>feels like three hours past
>check time
>it's only been 20 minutes

Holy shit do you idiots just talk in fucking memes?

Dude Sup Forums doesn't know shit about movies man. Literally go to Reddit if you want a somewhat proper discussion

Merry Christmas ya filthy animal

Yeah, it's complete shit and Casey Affleck can't act, I don't get it either. Only saving grace are the visuals and Lucas Hedges.

holy fuck what an amazing and accurate response, thank you.

See, you never grew past cartoons.

literally no one defending this film in this thread made any argument other than "3deep5u" lmao

>hey, i need a ride theyah
>can i get a ride heeyah
>pick me up afta suppah

This goes on for 2 hours and 15 minutes

i thought it was good.

cried a few times.

i thought it was shot beautifully. i found it interesting how they put in all those awkward moments to make it feel more real. i also enjoyed the sound track. very well done.

i thought the teenage son did the best job acting. affleck was ok i guess, but his wife was not a very good choice imo.

those are some bad opinions

dishonest shitposting

tell me what is wrong with the movie and I will defend it, I think it's a solid 9/10 and the only problem it has is with the editing because it cuts too much

Ben Affleck's brother is a terrible actor and the movie goes nowhere. Lee is a sad mopey fuck that refuses to move to Manchester and take care of his nephew in the beginning and Lee is a sad mopey fuck that refuses to move to Manchester and take care of his nephew in the end. Lee never admitted that he couldn't handle it and Patrick never admitted that he missed and wanted his uncle back. It was a completely unsatisfactory conclusion. Yeah, it was realistic, but who the fuck watches a movie for realism? It probably works better on stage.

>that scene where he hangs out with the kids mom and she complains about his awkwardness and inability to make small talk

Casey Affleck had a sick performance as a broken family man from Boston

>we know that feel

Holy shit OP I just saw this movie. ARE you ME!!!!!!

But that's not even what the movie was about. Joe's death was just the catalyst, the movie was about depression and Lee had been suffering from depression long before his brother's death.

>tfw no wife, children and a house by the seaside

>without over dramatizing them
The entire fucking movie was a melodramatic soppy piece of shit.

Theres a scene near the end where Lee explains that he can't beat his grief, after being asked by his nephew why he can't stay?

that scene never happened.

>le capeshit oscar bait film school buff meme crowd
Literally what did he mean by this?

yes it did...

Did you even see the movie? Lee did acknowledge that he couldn't take care of Patrick and let that other couple take him in . Sure he stayed a sad angry fuck but that's the point of the story, that his depression was never going to go away that easily.

Oh. I think your problem seems to be you didn't watch the movie.

He literally fucking says "I can't beat it"

Even if it did happen (which it didn't), it's still a bad movie.

-spoilers:
>like 5 people die
>house burns down
>Dude attempts suicide
Interesting stuff happens, its just why does it happen?

his apartment reminded me of my own and I instantly got depressed

>the movie goes nowhere

kind of the point, his grief and guilt wasn't going anywhere. its about the intransigence of grief and flies in the face of the normal narrative that people can recover from such traumas over time.

>he labels the movie as something with autistic features
>he can't decipher the emotional framework and context presented by the movie

just stick to your BvS

I think the movie is shit, but it definitely happened. It was the scene where he runs into Michelle Williams on the street towards the end.

>Sup Forums can't appreciate a slice of life film
>"WHAT WAS THE MEANING?"
>"HURR EDGY XD"
>"DUDE TEEN SEX"
It's like none of you understand emotion or that sometimes things go largely unresolved in life. Although I guess a movie about tragedy and rebuilding would be a foreign concept to you fucking nerds since your whole life has just been a tragedy.

>slice of life

You can tell when someone is plebeian when they're using a pointless plot argument in an obvious character piece

slice of life can be observational or analytical, and this is the former. Stuff happens, we're not going to explore why it happens, but it does

>It was the scene where he runs into Michelle Williams on the street towards the end.
that doesn't fucking count.

I meant they never admit to each other. He never offers any real explanation to Patrick. Lee Chandler barely came off as a character, and I can't tell if that was because of Affleck's shit acting or the script, but I'm going to assume Affleck. Lee had a backstory but no real discernible traits besides disliking small talk.

>sometimes things go largely unresolved in life.
A movie is not real life.
>a movie about tragedy and rebuilding
there was no rebuilding in the movie.

Movies about emotions or emotional people are fine, but Manchester by the Sea is not Evangelion, the execution was boring.

now imagine living your whole life like that
welcome to Lee's world

>I can't beat it
This is an admission that he can't handle it

BUT DID HE SAY IT TO FUCKING PATRICK
NO? THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP

>literally movie is about nothing and nothing interesting happens.

completely agree. The only reason I finished it is because I'd already been watching it for 10000 minutes.

I felt like you're literally waiting for something to happen and nothing happens. I wasn't more upset over a movie since Boyhood. Complete waste of time.

Patrick doesn't give a shit. He got what he wanted in the end. He doesn't have to move, he gets to keep is boat and hoes. He even says he has no intentions of visiting Lee in Boston. Fuck him

this.

on top of the movie being so boring that I too wish I had died in a fire they had to make it where the most horrible accent in the world takes place

Not enough quips/10

t. Sup Forums autist

Did he go through the chimney while the fireplace was on?

i literally live 1 min away from manchester and i've never heard of this flick

>but Manchester by the Sea is not Evangelion

did you just compare a realist movie with a cartoon?

i hope you're trolling

hey, psycho, take your lithium before some cop has to put you down

"Hey guys, I live near where this movie occurs in fiction, so I should at least know about it because I'm involved, man, involved."

>triggered babby

i'm pretty sure he has been trolling but whatever...

that dream sequence with his baby girls sitting on the couch with him

so many feels.

>ITT people incapable of empathy

How could they make such an important scene unmemorable

>people incapable of empathy
like Casey Affleck?

i remembered it. also i love how this film doesn't have a cut 50 times per 'scene'. why aren't more modern films like this?

I think the fact that it was so understated is why the scene is so powerful.

I know how it feels to open up to others about things you can barely face by yourself and it isn't some big emotional moment for depressed, closed-off people. You try to mumble your way through it and get out of the conversation as quickly as possible. If he had broken down and started crying it wouldn't have been as powerful for me

Because there are only a handful of good directors in America that understand the whole "less is more" principle of filmmaking imo. Those that do aren't fairly popular for the most part

Blame the French New Wave.

that new thor tho!

that's not valid criticism dumbass

you're a nigger aren't you

you missed this scene

>movie is character drama about emotional strife
>don't understand it, but accuse it of being autistic instead of you

user, you should go see a psychologist, I think you might be on the spectrum.