The best postmodern movie

The best postmodern movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/D0kJQmMaozs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>postmodern

>postmodern

what exactly do you mean by this

It shows what italian culture has become.
Mixing beutiful architecture nature and hostory with awful party music and disgusting world of celebreties.

Do you see cocks?

"Italian culture"
what does this mean?

If you think Sorrentino doesn't enjoy the "awful party music" and he's being ironic/cynical in its application, you're watching his films completely wrong

How is that postmodern?

That party music was a remix of a classical italian song. And yes Sorrentino used it to show the decadance of italian culture.

Because you can see a contrast between the old and new. Between unpopular and popular.

Jesus what a film, one of my favorites, if anyone enjoyed this and wants more servillo you should definitely watch "consequences of love"

That's not the definition of postmodernism

He absolutely did not. IMO he used it show the dual personalities of all these characters, watch it again and tell me if servillo popping ecstasy and banging Stacy royalty is the same as servillo having tea with his midget boss or walking through the old streets of Rome and meeting his "real friends" and reminiscing about the girl he lost his virginity to. It's an absolute master piece in how all these different characters behave in those two completely different words.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I can agree with this.

postmodernism is typically defined by an attitude of skepticism, irony, or distrust toward grand narratives, ideologies, and various tenets of Enlightenment rationality

also Il Divo

You got that from wikipedia, as well as the fact that has nothing to do with what you said previously.

Yes i got it from wiki. And is it so fucking difficult to understand that this movie ironically shows how art is so pretentious today?

Could someone please answer this question?

It's not postmodern though.

I actually do agree with your original point now that I think of it.... I don't think there was any positive portrayal of any of the hedonistic gatherings that took place in the film, even the comfy party with his new gf had the thing with the girl and her controlling parents

Yes

I think the socio-political stuff has obscured the heart of the film: simply being present in one's life, not being a cynical asshole, and planting and nurturing roots as in meaningful relationships. All the decadence and modern Rome and all that is just window dressing.

The movie can be about multiple things, especially this one. It's as much about our relationship with our time/culture/city as it is about the roles we play in the lives of people we meet and pass by over the years. Having both of those themes is important because they complement eachother

I think you're right in the sense that sorrentino wasn't making some sort of argument for or against anything modern as most of this thread seems to be arguing about

But it's like warching the conformist without political context it just doesnt make sense.

bump

Bump

The end credits sequence is so hauntingly beautiful. That score or theme is perfect.

youtu.be/D0kJQmMaozs

Youth was a misfire but Paulo redeemed himself and more with Lil Pope'r

Stop using words like ironically and postmodern if you don't understand them. Go read Jameson's essays on postmodernism in cinema and learn something.

>tfw can't find a subbed version anywhere

Saw it in italian, was pretty rough to understand with all the accents mixed up

The culture everybody else in Europe fucking stole.

I mean, La Dolce Vita is better (has a similar concept) but La Grande Bellazza is still a very very good film.

don't be bitter Mario

I'm really enjoying this thread guys.
We're having a beautiful discussion.

Aaaaaand it's dead.

>I'm really enjoying this thread guys.
>We're having a beautiful discussion.

Please can someone give me some good modern euro cinema? Last movies I watch were coffee in Berlin and this one and I loved them both. I don't mind the genre just as long as it's a good movie

Youth wasn't a misfire, you mong

Try some of Ben Wheatley's stuff, A Field In England was pretty good. Don't know if you would consider it European though.

The conformist
Byciclet thieves
Pidgeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence
Every Pasolini movie
The piano teacher.
Let me think of more.

Yes it was. Great discussion.

I dont know how i feel about that one.

It wasn't a misfire in any way.

A natural development of Sorrentino after LGB.

It was as visually magnificent as anything he's done, he's clearly an enormously gifted visual stylist. It worked scene to scene, as the acting and situations were poignant, but the script at large was a mess. No focus, all over the place, leaving the viewer with very little meaning or critical purchase.

I found it to be unsatisfying.

You would like to check this out for oscar predictions:

Are you posting that in every thread, faggot?

>modern

Fyi for that poster modern Euro is trash.

I know they all classics more or less.

Give it to me straight Jack how is Sorrentino's American Sean Penn is The Cure movie?