Unironically one of my favorite films ever. Who's with me

Unironically one of my favorite films ever. Who's with me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bzscyVeJy6M&list=PL6559658E698E288D&index=10
amazon.com/Coming-Conan-Cimmerian-Barbarian-Book-ebook/dp/B000FBJE24/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487620362&sr=1-1&keywords=conan the barbarian
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600831h.html
youtu.be/w2gcpFU-78k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's unironically one of the best.

Without a doubt. One of the few films Sup Forums can mostly agree on.

youtube.com/watch?v=bzscyVeJy6M&list=PL6559658E698E288D&index=10

Unironically my favorite fantasy movie ever.

It's amazing in every single way.

nigga that movie is goat if only for the score

I'm reading the Marvel comics and the original novels right now. Brety gud.

mfw in the comics King Conan gets an asian empress pregnant and has a halbchink pacifist son

Not "canon", but what a sheer dissapointment for a barbarian.

it actually no lie is. dont tell anyone though, i dont want to get bullied

I love it-- It's got a great script

>that intro monologue by the father about crom
>that what is best in life scene
>that argument between conan and subotai about whose god is better
>that king osric when the throne room becomes a prison
>that prayer to crom
>that i am the wellspring from which you flow

It's great but somehow it gets a lot of bad rep. I don't understand it, best fantasy movie until LotR.

I guess that was the inspiration for the chink kid in Red Sonja

If only more directors would know to use dialogue sparsely so when it comes on it's something memorable and interesting.

I don't like the cruelty to horses in the Conan movies. Horses are the only animal other than dogs that are proven to understand human emotions. You should not treat horses any worse than dogs.

I think most of the bad rep is from people who haven't actually seen the movie and think, hurr Arnold's so cheesy and dumb.

The movie really expresses a pretty interesting philosophical outlook that is fairly rare in hollywood movies I think

Also, I unironically think Arnold nailed the role, I love all of the scenes where Conan is just sitting there quietly thinking. In the stories, Conan is a pretty intelligent and thoughtful character, but it seems like he always reaches this point where he can't figure something out, or he just gets fed up with everyone else's sophistry and bullshit and just says fuck this and starts hacking people up.

Who the fuck dislike Conan ?

prayer to crom is one of the best scenes ever.

john milius is a fucking genius, too bad he was kinda fucked over and left behind by hollywood

>I love the smell of napalm in the morning
>Quint's uss indianapolis speech from Jaws
>Do you feel lucky, punk?

you guys need to watch a doc on him - Milius (2013)

nu-males and millennials

Well Arnie got one thing right. He certainly heard the lamentation of women.

Mostly in divorce court, but still.

I see this movie at least once a month. Does anyone know a good place to start reading the books? Do they publish compilation volumes?

Are you sure you haven't made this up and those people are merely unaware of or indifferent to the film's existence?

Can anyone objectively compare it with the remake? I'm not sure if I should bother.

Yes I agree! Conan also has a lot of great storytelling without dialogue. One of my favorite sequences is when Conan is freed by the redbeard guy.

>You're free
>smash cut to Conan running half naked through a wasteland being chased by wolves
>this is freedom
>finds shelter in the hidden cave of a giant atlantean king
>Mistakes the king's skeleton for his dead god Crom
>takes sword from his dead god
>goes back outside to face the snarling wolves
>cut to Conan entering a town dressed in wolf skins

And like the only spoken dialogue in this sequence is when he sees the skeleton and says "Crom!"

I don't know too much about the Conan stories,but I bought this and it's great. It's got most of the classics in it.

amazon.com/Coming-Conan-Cimmerian-Barbarian-Book-ebook/dp/B000FBJE24/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487620362&sr=1-1&keywords=conan the barbarian

>>Mistakes the king's skeleton for his dead god Crom
He does not. He is not a retard.

Cool, looks like a good start. Thanks man!

Why did Arnold punch the camel?

>the look on Conan's face when the skull bows to him
>the way the light shines on the blade when the rocks fall
>Conans reverence for the skeleton and the sword

he clearly sees the giant skeleton of the atlantean king, an ancestor of his people, as a physical embodiment of his god Crom, strong in his mountain.

It's an absolutely amazing movie with an amazing soundtrack.

Sam Elliot once said

>He doesn't write for pussies and he doesn't write for women. He writes for men, cause he's a man.

He's not an idiot, but he is very weary and cautious of magic and gods. He rather retreat than chimp out with his sword against unearthly powers.

yeah you can buy the complete book of short stories on amazon. they're great. just read in the order of the book

Conan must have dozens if not hundreds of kids. One of them being a pacifist isn't a stretch.

This is the perfect fantasy film for me and comfy as fuck. Thulsa Doom is one of the best cinematic villains as well. One of those films I watch monthly.

Hell yeah OP

Conan is actually kino

I always bring up conan discussing with hipsters and invariably they will give you that what the fuck man stare because they didnt even try watching it

OK, I'll admit that the verb "mistake" probably didn't capture all of the subtle nuances of what Conan was experiencing in that moment. I sincerely apologize for my lazy greentexting, and I'll make sure it never happens again.

A part of me hopes this idea of a sequel they keep talking about doesn't happen. They just wouldn't have the same power of creation, the crew are gone, Milius is 72, would he be able to direct? Dino's long gone. Basil Poledouris is, too. Arnold's old now, is he capable of the action? I just don't think you could capture the same passion, the same fire, the ideas and drive and love the original production had. It's such a perfect union of its parts.

But another part of me does want it to happen. I'd like to see the bookends of Conan's life, from slave to king by his own hand. I just don't see how it could happen.

8 YEAR OLDS DUDE

It's surprising how great the score actually is. It's legit one of the best movie scores and you wouldn't think so coming from that movie.

Does anyone has info on how they did that thulsa doom huge temple thing? It seems a gargatuan thing to do for a movie, like Herzog levels of retard.

>Does anyone know a good place to start reading the books? Do they publish compilation volumes?

>what is amazon?

srsly tho, ur in for a treat, the stories are even better, no shit.

I highly recommend reading the conan dark horse comics or at least the ones written by kurt busiek

The Mountain of Power? They built that shit. Watch the making of from the collector's DVD.

Yeah that one. Holy shit nigger.

READ THE STORIES

The Tower of the Elephant is a great fucking story, one of the best Conan stories and one of Robert E. Howard's best stories period.

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600831h.html

For the rest, buy the books, read the books.

Real, was made out of wood, they actually burned it or the end of the film.

>A $350,000 chunk of the $3 million budget for sets was spent constructing Thulsa Doom's Temple of Set on a Spanish mountainside. Built mostly of wood in anticipation of its fiery end, it was 65 feet high and 150 feet long, with concrete foundations to bear the weight of the thousands of extras it would have to support.

Ron Cobb deigned it.

God damned I love these old film production stories. Burning a giant beautiful set is Herzog tier. God bless Milius the absolute madman

>no one recorded they burning it
REEEEEE

Nevermind I'm a retard that needs to rewatch the movie.

armor designs and other designs are really good too

and the fight scenes are really good when they're not goofy looking. arnie really hacks people up with the sword

Riddle of Steel

self mastery of will > psychologically mastery of others > physical mastery of craft/technical knowledge

One of the greatest movies ever.

I wish thiskind of movies would come back.

Camels are fucking assholes.

>>the original closetfag mommas boy author

beloved by downlo amerikuk fags of tv.. naturally.

wew lad

I agree OP, one of my favourites as well. Always get weird looks when you tell other people, but most haven't actually seen it,only know about the camel scene or dislike any Arnold movie from the getgo.

youtu.be/w2gcpFU-78k