Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1908

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

tanos.co.uk/jlpt/aboutjlpt/
rtkwiki.koohii.com/wiki/Taking_the_JLPT
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cwUGLwyFMhW8DxFc1oiG8PLTewULpZxyRyv8PH_H_d0/edit?usp=sharing
japandict.com/lists/on-mim
vlearnsjapanese.tumblr.com/tagged/picture-dictionary/
kotobank.jp/word/出来-528978
youtube.com/watch?v=yIy9zPh3zLo
youtube.com/watch?v=3oJm2S5F-7w
youtube.com/watch?v=nPF7lit7Z00
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Does this translate well into Japanese or is it just nonsense?
>それ気持ちいつ

Nonsense.

一緒にを苦しもう

オツ

僕と心中しない?

Wouldn't it be その気持ちとき

>前
>counter for irregularly shaped objects such as desks, armrests, and serving trays

Yeah, no, you're doing this on purpose. Like the whole "parliament of owls" bullshit in English.

~(の)ときの気持ち

oh
its supposed to be >tfw
haha what the fuck

日本語教えて

For the 3 volumes of the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series, there are 203 (basic) + 198 (intermediate) + 228 (advanced) grammar points for a total of 629 grammar points.

Comparing all 629 points to what you need to know for the lower levels of the JLPT (N5~N3) there are only 28 grammar points missing.
Compared to N2 only grammar, there are 33 not covered, for an extra 61 total.

From the vocab comparison earlier, 642 / 1836 words from the N2 only vocab list were not covered by core6k. 89 words were actually "covered", as in either minor spelling differences or using kanji instead of only kana.

No idea how many of the N5~N3 vocab are missing from 6k, probably not that many comparatively and could be encountered via reading.

You would still need to read and listen to a lot of stuff, but doing the 6k + DoJG anki decks is not a terrible start on the pathway to preparing for N2.

Owls are solitary nocturnal creatures. No one even says that.

How about Core10K? Where is the rest of analysis regarding N1?

I am genuinely interested.

It's just something I did to see for myself how far my studies will go, based on what I've used and am aiming for.

If you want to continue it go ahead. All I've done is use tanos.co.uk/jlpt/aboutjlpt/ as the base for "what is required of JLPT" and compare that to the data in Core via a spreadsheet.

Oh and the DoJG grammar points list was based off the "grammar reference" from the OP

Anyone know a good vn with lots of kansaiben speaking characters or one with a main role?

死のう

はい、せーの!

i hear there is a listening portion on the JLPT, how exactly does this go?

rtkwiki.koohii.com/wiki/Taking_the_JLPT

Everyone in the room will start coughing and giggling at the exact same time and you will fail.

Your post just raises more questions in my tiny monkey brain.
You cross-referenced two columns? Doesn't that require programming? And how did you spot 89 words with minor spelling differences using that? For doing the additional 4k in Core10k, wouldn't I need to also do the 6k thing and redo your work?

I have questions and I honestly can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere, so I'm asking you people.

I've decided to apply for JET. I also have been diagnosed with OCD and take fluoxetine (generic prozac.)

>Is it outright banned or can I bring it in with a yakkan shoumei?
>If I could supposedly bring it in with a yakkan shoumei, are the likely to grant it?
>What are the perimeters? If it is approved, can I bring a years supply, and then just go back and get another years supply should I stay longer?
>If I can't/am unlikely to be able to bring it in, what alternatives are legal there?

I don't actually expect anyone to know this shit, but if anybody is familiar it'd be a big help.

It didn't require programming since I did it mostly manually.

The bulk of the grammar work was ctrl+f and seeing if a similar string was found since there are minor variations in how they're listed. For vocab, it was just getting the spreadsheet to highlight unique entries and then combing over them to check for different spellings / kanji. I am more than halfway through 6k so spotting the minor spelling differences wasn't too bad, the rest I could search for via the anki browser.

I'll post my stuff on a spreadsheet here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cwUGLwyFMhW8DxFc1oiG8PLTewULpZxyRyv8PH_H_d0/edit?usp=sharing

You are broken. Inferior.

>It didn't require programming since I did it mostly manually.
Holy autism hire somebody in the future. It's 5 minutes of work, you can find a pooloo who will do it for you for peanuts.

I feel bad for you.

then they all point and laugh at you and start chanting in unison, you half sprint down the hall and and wipe your teary eyes and running nose
from then on "dekinai! dekinai! dekinai!" echoes through your mind for all eternity and painfully reminds you of the first and last time you took that test

god I hate when this happens

I'm sure there's much easier ways of doing it, I never claimed it was efficient or anything of the sort.

I just set out to make a rough study overview while sort of reviewing at the same time, and thought the results might be interesting to other anons.

Doing such a gigantic task the long and arduous way should make you honorary Japanese or something. I mean, it's great that you did all this, but goddamn, dude.

Welp, found out fluvoxamines legal which is apparently better for OCD than what my doctor proscribed.
I know.

>彼女はいい性格である。
Why not ga aru?

Because the writer decided so?

Look, sweetheart, I'm sorry but that's Duolingo, not a writer. You know the difference, right?
It specifically marked ga aru as wrong, suggesting de instead, so I'm pretty sure you're on the wrong track here. Let's think before posting shallow replies, alright?

Can someone explain which meaning of ばっか is being used in それはこういうことするようになったばっかだったし?

Your fault for using duolingo in the first place, pleb. Learn your place.

僕は日本語を学ぶできません

>学ぶできません
Yeah, I can see that.

俺も

Are there any good vocabulary lists with words only in hiragana? I just finished memorizing most of the hiragana and I would like to ensure I have a firm grasp of it through contextualization before I move onto the other two writing systems.

Kanji are your friend, don't forget it
Here are some mimetic words though
japandict.com/lists/on-mim

vlearnsjapanese.tumblr.com/tagged/picture-dictionary/

Kanji are lame. Thousands of old Chinese letters.

>Bara means rose
>When it's fujo genre for beef mountains having rough sex
I don't get it

From no context whatsoever, I would assume it's the "recently" or "just now" meaning.

ええ、その写真は本当に格好いいだね
いつか自分のを作ってみたいな、机の上によくいけるそうなものだね

皆はどこ行ったんだろう

>なんていうたらええか分からんけど、友達思いのいい人なあっていうのが伺えます。
Can someone tell me what the second part of this sentence is saying?
Mostly just the 伺えます part I don't fully understand. Does it they can ask? If so I don't know why they would say that.

More context; I said I would make time to do something for them.

There are people on this board rn, who read tae kim, and cannot read manga, when they could've read Japanese the manga way and be reading manga in less than 5 weeks.
Explain. Your. Selves.

Rape

I don't want to read manga

Maybe, what you wanted to say is "tfw"?
tfw no gf?:that feeling I get when I have no girlfriend
→彼女がいない時に抱くその気持ち
~時に抱く気持ち
日本語には関係詞relativeはないが、そのかわり連体形による形容詞節で同様の表現をする

you confuse a copula with a main verb
存在を表す本動詞の場合、人には「いる」を使い、「彼女がいる」となります。
しかし、「彼女はいい性格である」の「ある」は補助動詞で典型的なcopulaであり、「である=だ」となります。
ですから、
彼女はいい性格である(書き言葉)=彼女はいい性格だ(話し言葉)

ばっか=ばかり
単なる音便です
「それはこういうことするようになったばっかだったし」
Because it came to just do such a thing
If you want to learn Japanese more, come to Jt

w-what?

I see, so the de aru was just "desu". But "いい性格がある" is wrong?

仕事やで

I'm guessing he meant 窺えます, which can mean "to infer". Same reading, different kanji.

The act of getting a sexual service of a person without their consent

r.a.p.e

But you wouldnt fuck a boat, right?

Pretty much all examples you'll see for describing someone's character uses "~性格だ".

>私は疑い深い性格です。
>ナンシーはとても陽気でかわいらしい性格だ。
>あいつもアバウトな性格だよな。
>彼は真面目な性格だ。

etc.

That makes more sense. Thanks pal

Then fuck off.

まあまあ、そうおっしゃらず

That is rarely used.
Generally, it is as follows:
いい性格だ=いい性格である=いい性格です.
When these these modify a noun, it is as follows:
いい性格の.
Therefore, いい性格 is not a na-adjective.
However, we use 「いい所がある」 instead of 「いい性格がある」

If you want to learn Japan more, come to our Japanese thread

スパムボットはまだ消えてないだろう

kill yourself

学ぶことができません。
or
学べません。

I read both and I don't understand a lot of it

Just look at the pictures

ばかり/ばっかり/ばっか/ばかし/ばっかし
These are the same.

がんがれ

バンプ

10頭身

ありがとう明子ちゃん!

"思い切りだらけきった生活を送っていたのだけど"

I don't understand the first and last parts. Something about thinking life is completely boring, but I can't come up with a good translation. Please help.

>出来物
>hm, something you can do, right
>"tumor"
oh well

Shit, nigga.
If that helps, 出来事 can mean accident, so it probably drinks from that interpretation - a thing that popped up and noone is really sure why.

In Portuguese, when medicine wasn't advanced enough, most old people would die by contracting a "sudden badness", I'd say cancer nowadays is almost that - a shitton of different, sometimes incurable diseases under the same umbrella, generic name.

I'm guessing it's probably just "formed thing".
A similar word is 吹き出物. I wondered why it had 吹き at first, and in searching it turns out a bunch of similar words in English all derive from ancient words for "blow" (boil, blister, pustule) under the idea of "inflated area".

あ、メイクセンス

Ateji are the "ahaha, but no, really, fuck you" of Japanese.

Are you sure that's ateji?

At first I thought so, since "going and coming stuff" didn't make much sense for "tumor", but on closer inspection it seems to be more of a "pimple"-meaning? That would sort of make sense, since pimples come and go.

でき【出来】
接頭語的に用いて、一時的に生じたこと、急になり上がることの意を表す。 「出来心」 「出来分限」

kotobank.jp/word/出来-528978

What are some good Jap movies?
youtube.com/watch?v=yIy9zPh3zLo

>Taste of Tea
>Linda Linda Linda
>My little Sister
comfy/10
>Still Walking
very good
>Confessions
bit edgy, but pretty good
>Why don't you play in hell
weird af and pretty funny
>Woman in the Dunes (1964)
artsy/10, pretty good

出来 also has a meaning of 'to grow' as well as a sense of 'suddenness/unexpectedness'.

So a 出来物 is literally a 'sudden/growing thing' or 'growth'.

*Our Little Sister

>>Taste of Tea
>Cast
>Hideaki Anno
Nani

youtube.com/watch?v=3oJm2S5F-7w
(´・ω・`)

good song

hmm, might have to watch it, Anno is a really fascinating person

youtube.com/watch?v=nPF7lit7Z00

Love Exposure and everything directed by Shunji Iwai.

What does this say?

ピーター君がないの辛い

Peter Pan is hot

Is there an answer key for Genki (2nd edition) available somewhere?

I think it's "Being without peter is hard" or "Peter, being without you is hard". I'm not sure tho.

>英語のプリント出して、悟っちゃったみたいな顔してどうしたの
I think I get this sentence, but why is the て form stuck in the middle there? I don't get what it's doing since it doesn't seem to be linking words

looks like linking to me?

It links clauses. 英語のプリント出して and 悟っちゃったみたいな顔して happened sequentially or at the same time.

How many words do you guys think it takes to be able to read most Japanese books? Do you think after I finish the 2k, I can, say, read a page of a classic Japanese book and understand 90-95% of it