/lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4261309
youtube.com/watch?v=eBPp-ewuLIM
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4899572/Melania-Trump-threatens-sue-Croatian-language-school.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FsvhcgJGayc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

>still no duolingo course for mandarin
there is literally no justification for this

>No duolingo course for Slovene
:^(

>Half-fluent in German
>Duolingo is unhelpful due to its structure
>Moving so I can't commit to classes at the moment
Any advice?

start reading books

>Learning Russian because fuck you.
>Feeling that Duolingo is doing a good job, but I want to try something else.
>Sup Forums wiki recommends PushkinOnline
>Shit's all business, apparently by the end of it you would be able to fucking appraise artifacts.

хopoшo

Should I learn Mandarin, Korean, or Nipponese for a job?
I'm planning on doing TESOL at uni.

Mandarin for actual business purposes, Nipponese if you want to want to fully comprehend how bad Japanese voice acting really is in anime

Duolingo isn't helpful for REALLY learning a language. It's great for testing some vocab words, but that's it.

Do this: German has plenty of literature that you can 'reverse engineer' so to speak. Focus on what you already DO know and fill in the blanks as you go.

I'm reading French books to learn and it's honestly the best way to do it. Just read, and your proficiency will improve over time. If you're already half-fluent it should help immensely.

A thing I'm also doing is taking said book, reading it once, transcribing it into English, and then reading it along with an audiobook version to make sure my pronunciation is correct.

You should gain enough from this to be able to understand radio, television interviews, etc.

The same goes for Mandarin, though I'd listen to the Michel Thomas Mandarin audio course and then find a partner to practice speaking with.

>It's great for testing some vocab words, but that's it.
That's all I really use it for. I barely pay attention to what grammar they're trying to show me.

What would be a good place to start for such 'reverse engineer'able literature for German (assuming you're speaking from experience)? Because at this point im really good at ordering food, but i wanna get past that

Ask Melania-sama or Barron-chan for help

Yeah, that's all it should be used for.

I'm speaking from experience with French, but German is one of the main languages for scientific studies and there are many literature heavyweights from Germany.

I'm honestly reading novels in my target language. I'm starting with books for teenagers like Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) and Harry Potter: À L'École Des Sorciers (French version of Philosopher's Stone).

In the first book, I'd see a word like 'Lorsque' and know that it means the same as 'Quand' which means 'When' in English. In almost every chapter, a paragraph would start with Lorsque, so I discovered that a word that is used all the time will appear many times throughout a piece of literature.

You gain vocab, get an idea of how sentences are structured (which is easy in French when you get the hang of it), and see words in CONTEXT. Context is probably the most important part, because like English, words mean different things when you combine them with other words.

If you can, I'd find a German translation of a book you've already read in French, Italian, or English (since you seem to be Swiss). This is why a lot of people swear by books like Harry Potter since people have already read it as a kid to some extent.

Hey guys, anyone can explain this sentence to me ?

"Despite their common bleating filibuster tactics they.........."

I swear I tried but I couln't figure out the meaning even using google trad.

i haven't touched my notebook for like three months, blease motivate me
t. learning Icelandic; Dutch and Spanish in plans

CHEEKI BREEKI
but what motivated you to learn Russian really? do you want to move here or just be able to speak a fancy language

Visit any of their threads.

Whining for long periods of time to get what they want.

Hellochinese
literally a mandarin duolingo clone

I see, thanks a lot !

Like any other singe language general, the Nederdraad sucks.
Bad idea.

And even better then duolingo. A lot better

Hmm, i'll have to see if maybe I can find something. I wish I had read more growing up :-(

and lolnah, if I was swiss I wouldnt be learning German like this. I'm actually from canadialand (like you seem to be)

How learn French please tyvm

Finding beginner solo textbook for arabic is making me want to cry.

Nearly every resource is

***** Not for beginners though.
**** Great text book, all in arabic.
***** Not for solo learners, great classroom textbook.
**** Decent text book, CD doesnt work so useless for beginners.
**** Only for those with some arabic.

>no website version
thanks...

get a french gf

Language learning is hard when school is in the way. I'll need to catch up on lost progress reeeeeee

wish i was a neet and free to learn langs unobstructed

I hear you.

I know but i was really surprised how coherent it is. I'd strongly advise to try it

Assimil is the best bump.

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4261309
=============
Should i learn french or german?
i feel like french is not receiving enough love in my country due to nigger/arab stereotypes

bleating = what a sheep does

in this context it probably means whining

filibustering = just talking for no point but to waste time and stop things from moving on so you can get what you want

Anyone here struggling with tonal languages? Everyone keeps telling me that I'll eventually just have an ear for them but native speakers just talk so fucking quickly..

I managed to spend six months in China, speaking (quite bad) Mandarin, while completely ignoring all tones. And I was, I think, reasonably understandable.

Haywood and Nahmad, Beginner's Grammar. The best there is.

> to bleat
To make noises like sheep

> to filibuster
To talk for too long during a debate that it takes up all the remaining time, so no other speakers can express any other opinion.

From what I've seen in textbooks this is highly unlikely. Tones have a very important function - to distinguish between lexical meanings. They might have been ignoring you :)

You don't have to listen to natives right away. Use a good textbook with suitable recordings. Repeat slowly, like a completey retard. After you make some progress - look for more "adapted" materials. Don't forget that for Chinese you will have to practice for a loooonng time.

Perhaps, but context plays its role. I managed to order food, beers, buy stuff, with no problems. The Chinese themselves understand that foreigners have a hard time with tones, so are quite forgiving.

I wish I was back in school. Enjoy it.

Who else here hates practising listening? What can I do to make it more enjoyable?

I'm learning Russian.

I do, I dropped mandarin because of it. I could try harder if I actually had a purpose to learn it

In Spanish
>Me gustaría invitarla también
Is inviting a female?
>Me gustaría invitarle también
Is inviting a male?

Is le versus la work the same ways as lo versus la? or is it always just le?

Is it advisable to learn two languages at once, so when you try to refer to your native tongue you think in the other language you're trying to learn?
I'd probably try German and Polish at the same time if I did

I'm learn 2 langs at once and I never referring to my native lang when this way. It working!

I'm struggling to learn Spanish, I can't imagine trying to learn two at once.

no
but just start doing it, if you can, then you can. People worry too much about the conception of it before just doing it. It's just a daily grind for the most part

not to be a dick but most people worrying about "learning two languages at once" have a pretty meme conception of language learning and will never be proficient in either

If someone is just starting to learn English, what are some good questions to ask them where they can practice? Not sure if my question makes sense or not but I have a few employees that are trying to learn English and they want to practice with me but I feel like I sometimes say to complex of words and screw them up more than help them.

>Say a complex word
>they ask what you mean
>you have to explain the word to them
This is literally learning?

>the wall can't be built soon enough

ich spreche kein Deutsch
ich bin dumm
wieso, wieso?
warum, warum?
ich weiß es nicht.

youtube.com/watch?v=eBPp-ewuLIM

> Melania Trump threatens to sue Croatian language school's billboard that features a picture of the first lady to show 'how far you can go with a little bit of English'

> The language school has since apologized saying the adverts were 'meant to be something positive, to show her as a role model'

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4899572/Melania-Trump-threatens-sue-Croatian-language-school.html

Not a native speaker but I believe that it's always le. In Madrid some people use la but it's not common anywhere else

care to elaborate more about this meme conception of language learning?
Or am I just proving your point?

It's incredible, the woman is just about fluent in about 6 languages.
But I definitely understand this, the billboard had good intentions but was worded poorly - ironically.

That would assume my Spanish wasn't shit and that I could explain it to them. I'm trying to learn Spanish also, once I get better I think I'll be much for helpful to them.

Honestly, I felt that way for a while, but in my experience the immigrant Spanish workers are harder working than millennial whites. The millennial thing really isn't a meme. I'm technically part of it (although on the cusp), but the generation has a huge sense of entitlement and are downright averse to hard work.

Yeah sitting around with other chiefs I'll say "oh man I wish I could get more white guys" but the truth is I just want whoever is best and they tend to speak Spanish. Hardworking whites are retiring.

Thank you!

6 languages? Which 6?

No, you explain in English using simple terms

>English
>French
>Italian
>Slovenian
>German
>Serbo-Croatian

A nice combo of Slavic, Romance, and Germanic languages.
It's a shame the media portrays her as some sort of bimbo. She's definitely a diplomatic asset for the USA and helpful for Trump.

I don't think she's actually fluent in those languages. For example, she once visited a kids' hospital in France, and literally said
> bonjour
> Je m'appel Melania

next day:

> Headline: Melania Trump speaks fluent French!

youtube.com/watch?v=FsvhcgJGayc

Explain something

How did so many similarities between spanish and english? The only other language I know about is german, I took a year of it in high school but a lot of it doesn't seem quite as similar as as spanish and english do.

Like our "have" past tense (past perfect?). "I have gone to the store" etc. German has that and so does spanish, and that just seems too arbitrary to me for both languages to have.

A better example is like "voy a crear", "I'm going to create". "Going to" in english obviously doesn't make logical sense, it's a language thing, but spanish has it too. How does spanish have it?

I mean that people get into *learning* languages a lot rather than just learning a language. The whole culture surrounding duolingo and such things in particular is pretty meme-y or those Benny Lewis snake oil types

Like a high schooler talking about learning or knowing swedish, japanese, hebrew, russian, german, chinese, zulu, swedish, sindarin, etc. etc.

"language learning" itself is mostly not that fun in the long term, especially when autodidact, and is just developing habits of grinding through material. Learning a particular language is fun though, and people should focus more on what they want to learn and why they want to learn it

Thanks. I try, but, some of them aren't far enough along for that to work. I'm getting better with my Spanish where I've been able to get some things across though, I think the key is going to be my Spanish getting better. :o/

Not that user, but, I just wanted to say Duolingo is such shit, I find it basically a waste of time compared to most other tools. I guess it's okay for some vocab practice or something to do when bored in your language, but these people using it as an actual learning tool are wasting their time.

duolingo is a good way to get your toe in the door with a language

someone with an introductory course, especially at the college level, has already surpassed it outside of some vocabulary

you shut your dirty mouth about my Duo waifu

>Fluency 59%
How does one even measure fluency quantitavely

it's a meme, duolingo is a meme; at best finishing it is on par with a 101 course with less grammar involved

Pimsleur on the other hand is a great tool for basic conversational fluency

It doesn't. It's a toy. Which is fine for practicing or whatever, but, I just hate to see people using that are a cornerstone of their language learning and sadly a lot do.

It is not a real measurement of fluency. It means "how much of the course you have finished." 60% is the highest

if you finish half of the Duolingo course, you get 30% "fluency"

>Pimsleur on the other hand is a great tool for basic conversational fluency
Great to hear. That's what I've been using. I like it, but I can't progress every day. I have to do lots of repeats and I make notecards too. But, I do feel like I'm making good progress with it anyways.

>mfw reading wikipedia articles in Spanish

you're like one of those anti meme language learning redditors

> muh I'm too cool to use new apps to learn languages

All three langauges you named are Indo-European. So they were the same language at one point.

Not even sure what you are saying with memes and reddit, but if it is that I don't like Duolingo just because it's a fairly new app, you're wrong. I like Lingvist, for example. I do flashcards on my phone too.

I'm saying you're just being a contrarian and saying rude things about Duolingo because it's the newest, most popular app, and you want to look like you're superior to the plebs who use it

if your lingvist app suddenly became the #1 normie app, you'd say it was shit too

no shit

do you have this in russian? "I'm going to [verb]" and "I have [verb]"?

Duolingo is pure trash, stfu.

you can't get reddit karma here. Duolingo is a vocabulary/grammar app. It can't possibly be shit when it's teaching your words and simple grammar

If anyones fucking reddit here it's you. All those faggot bright colors and cutesy cartoons and 15 million pounds of javascript, it just really comes off as untrustworthy useless form over function shit. It panders to redditors and reddit-type people.

If you're REALLY hardcore you do the fsi courses

Keep projecting. You know nothing about me other than I don't like Duolingo, or think of it as just a toy. You've gone into this whole attack just because I don't like your stupid app.

>fsi courses
You don't even have to be hardcore for those. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sticking with Pimsleur but if I wasn't a thief and was just starting off I'd for sure consider FSI.

>Muh contrarianism

good god, it IS shit though. Like i've been using it everyday (see pic) but it's been the least helpful of all the things I use. It serves, at most, as a new environment to see vocabulary that i've already heard once or twice before, making it a little easier to remember. But I could easily do that somewhere else.

Are you mad because you failed at learning anything while using it? Its not the app thats the problem its your lack of interest.

(disclaimer: work was a fucking drag today so I went ham)

Surprised at how low level the FSI courses were, they're basically just 101 & 102 level. They're fine but they're not what I'd expect, maybe there's just less material for German

No. Why are you so butthurt that someone doesn't like Duolingo?

Agreed, that's exactly what it is good for.

there is not that much difference between Pimsleur Stone or FSI or DuoMemrise or AnkiLingvist or whatever. They all teach you A1-A2 vocabulary and grammar. They have different UIs and media differences, but it's not enough to say "This app ______ is totally shit, not like all the other apps which are good"

you're just mad because normies like the cute green owl and say they're language learners, just like you

>it's incedible
Not that hard when your occupations have been "looking good" and "mom". Still requires some dedication, of course.

Can I use Pimsleur at the gym? I added the lessons to my mp3 player for this purpose.

Will I look weird?

Help

I do it in the car and while walking around my neighborhood. I for sure get some looks walking around but I speak softly. Gym might be a little weird, depends how crowded it is. Also I find music distracting when trying to learn so if they have something playing that might be something to consider also.

You can do anything if you believe.

On the real though, idk, it could work. Personally I feel like i'd have to listen intently/speak with it later. i'd get distracted at the gym, but I think it could be a good way to get a sort of "intuition" for what your next lesson(s) will be about.

>I think it could be a good way to get a sort of "intuition" for what your next lesson(s) will be about.
This. Sometimes I'll listen to one knowing I can't really give it my best attention, but then I'll redo it for real later and it will sink in easier.

did this on the treadmill, it will look weird but who cares. Just don't be too loud

I listen to podcasts while I lift, I remember stuff better that way. Walking is the best exercise for it though

OK, thanks for the feedback. I could just use it to listen to lessons I've already done for review (or future lessons) so I don't have to mutter broken German in public to myself... Ha ha...