American Psycho General

>Well, though I know I should have done that instead of not doing it, I'm twenty-seven for Christ sakes and this is, uh, how life presents itself in a bar or in a club in New York, maybe anywhere, and this is what being Patrick means to me, I guess, so, well, yup, uh..." and this is followed by a sigh, then a slight shrug and another sigh, and above one of the doors covered by red velvet drapes in Harry's is a sign in letters that match the drapes' color are the words THIS IS NOT A DUBS THREAD.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Harron
youtube.com/watch?v=sny3wSsJIoY
youtube.com/watch?v=Fk15H6PjBis
villagevoice.com/film/the-female-gaze-of-american-psycho-how-mary-harron-made-fantasy-into-timeless-satire-8707185
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fun facto friendos: the film was directed by a woman, Mary Harron.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Harron

Wait, Bateman was 27?

he says it in the beginning of the movie

That's why it completely goofed Patrick's character and turned him into a psychotic clown.

I got a few years to get to where he was. I can totally do it guys? Right?! Who's with me?

This is "Sussudio," a great, great song. A personal favorite:
youtube.com/watch?v=sny3wSsJIoY

depends, how many crunches can you do now?

I can do a thousand now.

Any more useless info you'd like to pass our way?

I'm turning twenty eight in a month and live with my mom and have no job and just ate macaroni and cheese out of an empty cereal box.
Godspeed user, don't turn out like me.

Check em

You've got a negative attitude. That's what's stopping you. You've got to get your act together. I'll help you.

Ohh I get it OP, this is a singles thread

Lol you coulda just said that outright

So who was the CEO of the company?

I said no dubs, please. I just want to talk about the movie. We never actually talk about the movie (which I really like, even read the book after watching it.)

Checked

Is the money really worth it? It seems like they work all the time.

There is just something about the business card scene that's always so interesting. The fact that something as superficial as a business card becomes a dick measuring competition is conveyed amazing well.

Working all the time? Nah.

Nice singles m8

The whole movie is about besting the competition in the most insignificant ways.
Reservations, apartments, haircuts, and the cards.
The guy from "What it all meant" explained it all pretty well.

That's me except I live with my dad and I'm 27. My life is a train wreck, mostly due to alcohol. Was gonna shoot myself today but I keep on making excuses to not do it.

>It seems like they work all the time

Emphasis on "seems". They are never actually working, only providing the appearance of "work".

The first thing he says to his secretary whenever he arrives to the office is "I'm not here, I'm in a lunch meeting" or something along those lines.
Checking in and out is all the work they do.

Are you sure about that

But I think the real question everyone should be asking is this, who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to make a sequel????

Patrick's Dad ran the company so he was set for life from the start. Also he's fictional so stop comparing yourself to him. Quite literally on the same level of people creating an invitation letter to Hogwart's for their self so they can study to defeat Donald Trump.

That's me
>29
> really dead end job
> live with my dad
> no rent, except that I have to clean around a bit
> vidya, weedlmao and chillin with high school frienda
> bring girls over, "yeah that older guy is just my roommate"
> dad is cool dude, watch games with all the time, never nags
Life is going nowhere but life is good

Great contribution to the discussion

If a modern remake was done, what music would he gush about?

Apparently, Patrick Bateman is into Synthwave these days (see the New Retro Wave YouTube channel's videos).

He'd explain Vaporwave to Paul Allen before killing him.

it is a miracle this thread is more or less still on topic

So far so good but it's only a matter of time.

Wouldn't it have to be popular music of some sort though?

Popular tone with an iconoclast style.

You could try and parrot explanations of Yeezy's albums, but I don't think it'd work

Wasn't it his father? Or maybe Halberstrom's father?
Who knows

>Phil Collins
>Huey Lewis & the News
>Whitney Houston

Patrick likes the most commercial, superficial pablum that he can find. That's the point.

Wish they would have included the hamster pussy murder in the movie. Would have been straight kino amiright guys? haha anyways

check em

Working at a corporate office nowadays, I've really come to appreciate the film even more.

Check these bitches

This has been a really great discussion. Keep it up!

my pick wpuld be

Taylor Swift for WH
Pharell for HL&tN (happy for chopping scene ofc)
Maroon 5 for Phil Collins

W-will do!
Like actual corporate HQ or just an office? What do you do there? The film didn't really seem to tackle the office too much besides Bateman just lunching and ignoring appointments

On retrospect, Office Space seems like a better comparison.

Trips command serious discussion.

Question:

Do any of you think American Psycho is relevant in today's climate?

Already been done, it's call the Wolf of Wall Street.

more than ever

you need to make Bateman a Silicon Valley top executive, and it all comes naturally afterwards

>30
>good job
>weed, vidya, hs friends
>realizing my 20s were only about sex and drugs
>moving back home to figure life out

doesnt matter what you do in life, its how you do it. other people's opinions come second to your own.

i've realized family might be what keeps me going. everything else is superficial.

You're living every 16yo's dream. Good for you.

Not bad. Bateman would probably really like those artists, but I think he'd mostly be a vaporwave/retrowave kind of guy. Somewhere in the novel, Bateman is cited as saying or thinking he's into the band Talking Heads, for example. He would definitely let others know about his pop interests before more obscure stuff, though.

Learn to program, work freelance or part time. Make $30 an hour- work 20 hours if you want.

Allen>Bateman>Van Patten>Bryce>literal shit>Caruthers

Whitney was good in the classical sense too though

Did any one catch the Patty Winters show this morning?

Talking Heads were a new wave band. That fits in perfectly with everything else he gushed about.

Pretty sure all the dumb stuff was in the screenplay. They didn't use Ellis'.

You're just applying your own misdirected nostalgia about what you *think* the 80's were like, but you're wrong because you're probably a 90s kid.

Caruthers canonically has the best card though.

Humans do this with everything from clothes to cars to physical attractiveness

You understand this on a subconscious level

Huey Lewis himself said it best:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fk15H6PjBis

Have you guys posted quotes from the director and screenplay writer for American Psycho and how this movie was all about expressing the evil that men are and how they treat women?

Good movie but i was reading an article about how they felt about things and conveyed it in the movie. Thankfully the film doesn't necessarily need to be interpreted that way and can be how most people already see it.

Not I

This

ohooooooohhhh

No we have not. Elucidate to us what you speak of.

How many people have you killed?

>villagevoice.com/film/the-female-gaze-of-american-psycho-how-mary-harron-made-fantasy-into-timeless-satire-8707185

I was reading this feminist article that had quotes from the director and screenplay writer.

He'll be heavy into Minecraft and ogling female youtube e-celebrities.

He's only into popular music to create the facade that he's a normal person. He's trying to be more regular that a regular person. He wouldn't listen to shitty, niche music.

She takes a lot of credit for something that was written by a man. The movie version is just watered down with different details. The whole "timeless satire thing" is what the fucking book was. Feminists always pull this shit.

>that desperate retcon
>not a single stronk

Nice try, gash. Goddamn, it's like women have been brainwashed to the point that they don't even understand the things that they themselves made.

inb4 BEE is a faggot and wrote a homophobic main character

makes sense, all these equality and diversity rant, healthy lifestyle and superficial social responsibility would come in nicely

remember when he ate all that sand? lol

Should've included the books skull fucking

An honest-to-God American Psycho discussion. Is this thread, dare I say it, American Kino?