Why isn't Sup Forums more interested in good content?

There is not much real discussion of cinema I would consider more interesting and 'good'. It's popular shit like Suicide Squad, 22 Jump Street, Star Wars, Harry Potter, The Rock, Split, Stranger Things, Jurassic Park. ...Really? I guess I shouldn't expect this place to be any better but I always had this vibe I expected from Sup Forums where people were playing stupid but were actually into good content and wanted to talk about it but whatever. Discuss I guess

fresh from IMDB

/thread

A lot of people are here from Reddit for GoT and from Twitter here for memes. Those two groups are often full of duller minded people that enjoy that kind of content.

dude no one here actually watches movies

this. I'll add that few here watch good movies.

Sup Forums is CASH ME OUTSIDE HOWBOW DAH normie reddit BANE? tentpole blockbuster KINO consumers

Yeah but what the fuck guys? Maybe not a good comparison but Sup Forums is much better at discussing music, it's just terrible here... I have not seen any discussions of films like Aquarius or Paths of the Soul or anything...

Well reddit maybe you should make a thread on those titles instead of being a little bitch

>Aquarius or Paths of the Soul
no offence but those sound pretty faggy

Why?
That is not the point of this discussion at all

Don't even try dude.

I remember I once tried making a thread about Park Chanwook's The Handmaiden and got called a Reddit shill, meanwhile there were like 10+ superhero movie threads up. Don't bother attempting to actually discuss movies here, just come for random memes and jokes.

Because most of Sup Forums also browses Sup Forums or Sup Forums. There isn't a single person on either of those boards with a worthwhile opinion on film.

There are some recent films (Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea, for instance) that can be properly discussed here, not in american hours though.

Maybe those films actually suck.

Sup Forums is only discussing "indie" rock band that play on Jimmy Fallon and hipster trash.

Right it's definitely not perfect but I've seen much more interesting stuff there on music than here on film
That's so strange, The Handmaiden is sorta popular foreign film wise... I don't know why people try to shoot these interesting film threads down
That's true, they were both quite good, so I guess some quality slips through the cracks
Which ones? Good ones?

more like the opposite way around

it's hard to say Sup Forums 'infects' Sup Forums considering how cancer Sup Forums already is but Sup Forums can exist well without Sup Forums but Sup Forums has a shit ton of superhero show/movie discussions on their own

it's not like Sup Forums created the bane meme, that was all on Sup Forums

Blame capeshitters and normalfags

It's almost like popular movies get discussed more than obscure French films that only a few people saw. Anyway it's probably all reddit's fault for ruining our sekret klub.

>it's reddits fault
>the bane meme was mostly perpetuated by people from Sup Forums going to a reddit thread
mhm

I must say the level of shitposting here is phenomenal. Imagine the look on my appalled redditor face when I first started browsing here and all I could see were shitposts. This is Sup Forums, Television and Film? I slowly backed away from the computer, taking a full 10 minutes before a coherent thought could enter my mind and I took a knife and sliced my arm until I passed out from the loss of blood. I wanted to cry. I wanted to tell someone about it but I could not find the subreddit to. Now I'm stuck here, forever.

Everyone had the opportunity to see these French films.. is this not a film board for people who are into film? I just expected more that's all
What's a capeshitter
Why does everyone keep mentioning reddit
Ok

talk about your whiny self, i have some incredible discussion here often, and most is about obscure cinema and very profound stuff
go to reddit tarkovskyanon

Why discuss films when you can make threads bitching about the lack of discussion of films?

Sup Forums doesnt talk about good movies. never has

>real discussion of cinema
BOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Tarkovsky isn't very obscure
Why not discuss the lack of content as I can't be the only person to create content, and would like others to take more effort and maybe through this post get others to join in

You act as if you're the first to do so. Truth is you're not going to change anyone here, so you might as well try to discuss what you really want to discuss in the first place, without making anymore hopeless meta threads.

I am contributing, why can't the idiots who watch junk ever watch something a little more challenging for once. Also I don't claim to be the first

>stop discussing what I don't want to discuss

Ok, buddy.

Really not the point, you missed the point

Which I guess.. I should explain.. is that more artful and intriguing pieces of cinema should be explored and discussed here. Not just Hollywood nothings

People lack standards in terms of discussion and those with standards never bother to shoo away those that lack them.

if you want actual film discussion, go to reddit

no actually

Should I just give up on this? Allow the morons their fun watching drivel

I've tried, even on Reddit it's fucking awful. TrueFilm is mostly empty, noone tries, it's still the same mess. They're currently discussing... Moonlight, Studio Ghibli, The Founder, Chinatown.. there are mentions of the Wailing and Ozu but it's still quite entry-level

What's more annoying is that people who don't like capeshit and like quality films never discuss the quality films but just go on bitching about capeshit.

Believe it or not I've created many threads about cinema I am interested in, in addition to this thread

I have too but no one replies. Also for what it's worth I do try to reply to serious film discussion threads when I rarely see them.

>so you might as well try to discuss what you really want to discuss in the first place, without making anymore hopeless meta threads.
As much as i hate to agree with a tripfag... Hes right.

I sympathise OP. I feel that there should be a sticky each for the very popular films/memes: such as Star Wars or GOT and Bane?

That would stop the attention seekers from making countless threads about the same subject. There are some people on this board that do enjoy good films and more obscure cinema, but the majority are teenagers or superhero movie (capeshit) fans.

Just make your threads and people that have an interest will come and discuss them. I have yet to watch the Handmaiden but when I do I will make a thread and you will be more than welcome.

1. moot creates a forum that you don't even have to sign up for.
2. Weeaboos from Something Awful like the casual atmosphere and migrate here.
3. Casual posting takes much less effort, so posts become more experimental.
4. Experimentation leads to exciting new ideas.
5. Experimentation mostly leads to garbage.
6. The new ideas draw in new posters from other, more mainstream forums.
7. The new posters have no idea about the origin of the board's culture and misinterpret it to some extent.
8. They have trouble telling the failed experiments apart from regular posting.
9. Go to 3.

We've been in this cycle for almost a decade and a half now. Sup Forums was great because it was smart people acting dumb, but that's been steadily inverting since it opened. It had a really good run, but you can't just stay here forever.

I don't know if Sup Forums was ever good, but I doubt it. Maybe it could have been if it was one of the original boards.

If you want to talk to cool, smart people casually, you have to keep moving. Always be one step ahead.

Or you could try something like IRC. I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about superhero movies on IRC.

>Why does everyone keep mentioning reddit
They're the ones who come here for the epic memes and unironically enjoy superhero/ YouTubers/ anime/ cartoons/ Star Wars and other children's fare.

Honestly, most of the people on this board don't seem capable of discussing anything except popcorn flicks and mainstream bullshit. The majority of you speak exclusively in memes, so I don't really care about trying to engage someone in serious discussion when they most likely aren't even able to.