Tfw too smart for what passes as thought provoking movies

>Tfw too smart for what passes as thought provoking movies

A bit late to the party, but what are your thoughts on this 'intellectual' flick?

>DUDE CIRCLES LMAO

If you say it wasn't that good on here you'll get an army of people claiming 'you just didn't understand it'.

It has interesting ideas but they basically exposition it out for you. Something cant be intellectual without forcing the audience to think and consider concepts for themselves rather than it being spelled out.

That said it was very well made and a good movie.

While I can also understand freaking out if the alien translation said "USE WEAPON" I wouldnt exactly pull the plug and start arming up.

It was a short story stretched out to 2 hours.

And it felt like it.

I loved it unironically.

Ding ding ding

It's a good adaptation and not just a mere flick, it you didn't liked the third act you should read the short story to appreciate it more.
The only problems i had with it are some cheesy lines of dialogue and the flashforward at the end with the chinese general (i can see why they put it in the movie though).

Do you think Amy Adams knows she is part of the push for regular ass women starring in films?
She is a California 4

>language transcends time and space
Bravo nolan

is this a meme?
it was Denis Villeneuve that directed this

it really gave my noggin a floggin'

Gul Abbott did nothing wrong

I CAN ACT I CAN

Man, I swear Amy Adams is so boring in everything she acts in. All those flashbacks and yet I didn't give a shit about any of those characters but the aliums.

Up managed to make me care about the character and become sad over their fate in a mere 10 mins. This movie on the other hand felt like it was trying to shove her past into my skull.

Remove all slow shots of Amy Adams face and this movie would be an hour and a half shorter.

I noticed she has a similar surgically beautified waifu-nose as my Jessica Biel

>Jessica Biel and her dad fuck on a very special episode of seventh heaven

idk, i like Amy Adams, did you see Doubt?

Thinking on it, it was very plain

Really only one character & most of the movie takes place in dark chambers and inside of tents

Forest whitaker was shit in the twilight zone remake

I don't think it's really smart, but I like the idea/plot and how it was shown.
Can a kind user explain to me what exposition is? I read it is telling background story/info, but but I don't understand how some people here use it, like in this case. What's the exposition in Arrival?

Suffers from the same problems as shit like Godzilla movies. Instead of focusing on the interesting thing, the monsters/aliens, they instead focus on some chicks kid.

"This is the story of your life and how you lived. I love you so much. Oh and there were some aliens at one point"

Agreed.

>Humans here is a weapon and technology you have to use 3000 years from now
>Reee my kid dies from cancer

Honestly i loved the aliens and the attempts at communication(so disappointed the Kangaroo story was fake ha), but the time travel shit was stupid.

>we will help humanity by stopping them from entering into a war with us which we could have done by simply not showing up
>YOU OWE US HUMANS

really, waht are the other applications of time-vision? doing what amy adams did and seeing all the crap that awaits you? fuck that, i don't wanna know they'll find me dead of alcohol poisoning seven days later when the smell alerts the other tenants

>Can a kind user explain to me what exposition is? I read it is telling background story/info, but but I don't understand how some people here use it, like in this case. What's the exposition in Arrival?

Exposition is where someone talks/explains about a concept either with another dumb character or even directly to users.

Ex: Amy Adams explains why using majong as basis for learning language is a bad idea.

Its not necessarily a bad thing. In this specific context it makes sense but other times its unnecessary or removes alot of critical thinking by telling you what to think.

Again, it depends on what is needed to be told and what is not.

well, it's a bad idea in her mind. gonna teach my kid english through chess now

The entire alien plan to contact with humans via 12 randomly placed spaceships making no attempt to communicate even the most basic of their intentions makes no sense at all and exists only to service the plot.

>making no attempt to communicate

wow. seriously

good but why did she have timetraveling before having contact with the ayys?

Correct. Did you watch the movie?

She didn't

i did. i recall these symbols the aliens gave humans, sessions in which the aliens and humans attempted to show each other how their languages work, the aliens allowing amy adams to see them in person and speaking to her, and so on.

but i guess they should have just had the star trek universal translator, stupid of them not to bring one

the start of the movie is her and the kid growing up and dying of cancer

After how long, a week or two, I think, no one knew if they even came in peace. It wouldn't have been hard to communicate that. But if they had, the plot wouldn't work. Classic idiot plot. Ridiculous to think they couldn't figure out how to communicate such a simple message.

maybe thats a 4 in socal, but in nocal that's a 3

You fucking idiot.

>dude i learnt this language so i can see the futureā„¢
didn't make any fucking sense

>what is editing

Oh ok, go it. I had a different word in mind for that.
That's actually more like a *Record scratch* *Freeze frame*.

it's not ridiculous at all, why should their concept of "peace" be the same if it even exists at all, that's what the whole movie was about. there's even a scene where she explains how the word "weapon" can mean simply "tool" without negative connotations and so on.

it's not like trying to translate english inot french, it's a species with different anatomy and perception of time and something wholly alien to a human being

I can't really stand any movie that has Amy Adams in it, so I don't really know.

she's a terrible actress and she distracted me greatly from the movie. Not like it had any semblance of a good movie, but she bothered me too much to even give it a fair chance.

She's not good and she needs to stop getting lead roles. Almost ruined nocturnal animals too.

ha ha, what a joke, anons!

I liked it
It was original enough for me, and thats all it takes for a movie to be better than most of the capeshit / remakes being put out.

2deep4u

What a joke this board is

>Aliens know that their arrival will lead to a lot of problems
>Aliens don't make any effort whatsoever to ease communication
>Humans have to figure out how their language works

She really is one of the worst lead female actresses being pushed right now.

Ok I user let's play this game
Why do aliens know there will be difficulties?

nope, she's just aging very badly so Sup Forums can't masturbate to her properly. she's actually a decent actress, not that anyone here cares about that

Well made, beautifully shot, a couple of good scenes. Overall felt completely let down by it. 4/Interstellar

Give me three (3) decent performances she's given as an actress.

thanks for the chuckles.

(you)

They knew the future, retard. They knew what to do.

It's from the same school of thought

I made three movies with her but I don't think I'm allowed to show them

I won't believe that her performance was decent in any of them. I bet she won't even do ass-to-mouth.

>more intelligent lifeform able to travel across the vast expanse to reach another civilization which hasn't the capability to space travel.
>why do aliens know there will be difficulties

Do you know dogs would have difficulties communicating with humans?

But I guess the movie's targeting people like you. Because it's hard to keep up the pretense of competent writing when presented to people capable of thinking.

5/10

It was literally just a Contact copy cat. And Contact wasn't even that amazing.
Le Science VS Feeling le meme.
That was pure copyright theft.

Amy is too pure for ass to mouth.

It was good for babies that haven't watched more movies than what was available to them for the last 2 years. It was a cesspool of repetition for anyone that knows what was out the last 2 decades. Originality 0, not even the acting was great, and frankly the production was relatively cheap.

>implying she didn't do much worse for the casting couch jews for her roles

That's how untalented female hacks get their roles, they have to do something so revolting that the other 9999 women won't do it.

the movie looked great for how little money was behind it

>DUDE CIRCLES LMAO
Kek

Projection

you can't, doesn't mean military-oriented people wouldn't

i also love how the US was the calm voice of reason in that situation. thank god for America's peaceful ways!

the aliens aren't "good", they came seeking a favor and maybe manipulated people into extorting one. i thought that was pretty obvious

It gets its 7.5 easily, I just don't get the hype it got, I guess I got too old already and I want more originality than something that is literally 50% a copyright infringement of Contact and the other 50% an infringement of 2 or 3 sci-fi moves of the last 4 years.

I thinking you were talking about the whole
>lol they see the future why don't they change it and make things easier
But still,I don't know what you would have them do. They literally give away a Rosetta stone of their language by the end. Giving it prior to understanding that humans should work together would miss their point. And the fact they can travel in space doesn't mean they have the technology or knowledge to communicate. Your example with the dogd is like saying that humans, if they want, can establish communication with dogs. We just give meaning to their actions and behaviors, we don't communicate with a language, with the widespread meaning. Aliens do the same.
>ranting
Such a fucking hothead

>"Dr Banks. I'm U.S. Army."

Really nice subtle tribute by villeneuve. Absolute kino

The film is good but not everyone is smart enough to understand it.

doesn't bother me, most ideas are retooled versions of something that has existed before, it's how well the story is told that matters and i thought the movie did a good job.

at this point in time even when someone writes a story they truly believe to be wholly original odds are someone else already did something similar and they didn't even know it, or they did know it and wanted to do something different with it.

kek

>The film is pretentious but not everyone is smart enough to realize it.
FTFY

only bar i have for movies is "how successful is it at what it wants to do?" a comedy is good if it makes you laugh, a horror movie is good if it makes you uncomfortable, an action movie is good if it makes you forget how retarded it is.

for me, this movie was about the sense of wonder of a First Contact, and i felt it, so it's good. i don't need to nitpick every little detail

>mfw Sup Forums loves Zack Snyder and thinks Arrival is pretentious
Why is this board so shit?

There are different scales of originality. You can never be 100% original of course. But compare this to something like Inception or Matrix 1.
Those movies could be claimed that has similarities with others but they were simply revolutionarily different.

Villeneuve is no better than Crap Snyder. Sorry pleb.

To be fair half of the "complaints" people have are things that are clearly explained in the movie.
If you don't like the movie, thats fine, but when the complaint is not understanding how determinism works its a sign that they're idiots and in fact "didn't get it." which is embarasing because the movie constantly spoonfeeds you exactly whats happening.

Prisoners is better than everything Snyder has made, you faggot.

i disagee, only revolutionary thing about the matrix was the effects at the time, the idea was used many times before, same with dreamworlds in inception. you've got neuromancer, dark city, ghost in the shell, all of which were based on older pulp SF novels as well. i mean my SF knoledge isn't vastly comprehensive, but i'm sure there are professional SF historians that would laugh out loud at saying the Matrix is original

Figuring out everything was part of the process

Doubt, Her, Nocturnal Animals

She experiences time in a chopped up way, linearly but with the order of events all fucked up

>her past
what did he mean by this