So your going to tell me that people don't enjoy True Detective Season 2?

So your going to tell me that people don't enjoy True Detective Season 2?
How is season 2 in any way lacking when stacked against the popular shit around here? Am i supposed to believe that people think this is worse than GoT, Walking Dead, Mr. Robot, Fargo, and whatever else passes for good storytelling?

Fuck that man. Season 2 was phenomenal.

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/tv//nic-pizzolatto-found-dead-1386034176/
youtube.com/watch?v=U5742DD5RXw
youtube.com/watch?v=XhJGA2QvyeQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ARMF1Qr-zDI
youtube.com/watch?v=QZTaR52ates
youtube.com/watch?v=RPXtOi0RCzg
youtu.be/vjF1uVEZf4I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>How is season 2 in any way lacking when stacked against the popular shit around here?

Writing was trash because it was rushed after season 1's success. Caspere knew this.

Why do you plebs insist on knowing nothing about amazing writing and constantly shit on pizzaman? Read his short stories sometime and then read his god damn book he wrote in only 2 weeks.

You thought season 2 of True Detective was bad? You thought season 1 needed more le cosmic horror? Get fucked. I get so mad when faggots think that I just want to fist them

It's cause plebs fell in love with all the worst parts of season 1.

2 was great. Actually had more fleshed out characters
that moment when Vince realises he's dead :'(

the problem with season 2 is it went too high concept while lacking the foundation necessary to sell that high concept.

Season 1 actually did the "we get the world we deserve" themes better than season 2, when season 2 was built entirely around that. As season 1 was all about the rich literally devouring the young, poor, and marginalized for sexual gratification, whereas season 2's big reveals were the shocking truths that rich people have sex with consenting prostitutes and some land was polluted.

>hurr durr retards dont like complicated stories

Shocker.

S2 was really good film noir.

season two was great. the only shlocky dialogue was from vince and I'll forgive it because vinceposting is actually the funniest thing that has ever come out of this board

get used to your shit taste you whiny little bitch. s2 was so shitty it almost killed the show. go fist your mother

>STOP HATING WHAT I LIKE
'no'

Not Op, you can hate what you want.

That however doesnt mean that S2 is "shit", simply because you didnt like it.

>inb4
>MUH CRITICS
>MUH GENERAL OPINION

Was anyone here during the airing of Season 1?

The prediction threads were so fucking embarrassing I still cringe when thinking about them.

>le lovecraftian monsters
>Marty's father-in-law is the killer and he molested the daughters
>RUST IS THE KILLER

Then the butthurt of the anons who predicted this shit when they turned out to be so wrong.

>t-they deliberately placed r-ed herrings!

An amazing time.

This is literally why most of Sup Forums plebs didnt like S2, yet "adored" S1.

S1 had occult mysticism and supernatural elements, a "magic realism" if you will.

It went from existential ramblings to an old school film noir feel.

Ofcourse Sup Forums wasnt gonna like it.

>almost killed the show
so... s3 is in the talks or what?

>These contracts....... singanatures all over them.
wha did Pizzarollo mean by writing shitty dialogs?

They still have Pizzaman on contract, although technically it doesn't have to be an S3, iirc. Alternatively though they could just let it run out too.

I started browsing Sup Forums when the first season was at its peak and you couldnt be any more insane. Seriously think about getting yourself committed.

it's been 2 years already
and pizza is working on something with RDJ

the acting wasn't nearly as good in my opinion with some notable exceptions like

mommy

I enjoyed the fuck out of season two. Obviously it's not nearly as good as season one, but it's still really good.

Peoples expectations were just too high after how phenomenal season one was.

You were making those predictions weren't you?

hahahahah

only first 4 episodes of season 1 were good

it was boring. the characters and the relationships that they had with each other were boring. the plot/premise was boring. the monologues they gave to Vince fell flat.

i am all in favor of a dark, gritty, grounded story. i don't need any mysticism going on. however if you fail to make me anyone give a shit about anything that's happening then you fucked up. as it turns out, they failed to make basically everybody give a shit. show S2 to someone that has no knowledge of S1 and it's the same response; boredom.

convince yourself that it's your patrician taste that allows you to see S2 as phenomenal. i think maybe it just hit a few specific notes that happened to resonate in you but that's it.

>Nic Pizzolatto, creator of the HBO TV series “True Detective”, was found dead today in Los Angeles. Police said he appeared to have hanged himself. He was 39.

>The officer responsible for investigating the death said that the writer had hanged himself with a cord from the suite’s curtains. A rope was also found around his genitals. Police said Pizzolatto’s body was taken to a hospital for an autopsy that would be carried out today.

>According to the hotel maid who found the body, his suicide note was "as poorly written as the second season" of his TV show. "Certain experiences you can't survive, and afterward you don't fully exist, even if you failed to die", Pizzolatto wrote. He also mentioned feeling depressed about HBO refusing to renew his contract, following low ratings and negative reviews. HBO declined to comment.

>Pizzolatto is survived by his wife, Amy, and their 5 year-old daughter.

variety.com/2016/tv//nic-pizzolatto-found-dead-1386034176/

did the amenians sold him out?

There were some great scenes like Vince's last walk in the final episode and Colin Farrell's dream sequence at the bar.

Homocop was completely superfluous to the plot. It was clear they wanted a shocking death midway through and that was their vehicle. His terror of being outed was ridiculous too; in 2015 California, being a faggot isn't exactly a revolutionary act.

I could have done without Rachel McAdam's character because I felt like she wasn't elaborated enough upon. There was a lot of meat on those bones (sexual appetite, her abduction and rape at a young age, her father, etc).

Tonally it was all over the place. Did it want to be film noir (Frank's scenes), Lovecraftian (Ray's dreams), or straight up cop drama (Homocop)

The plot was a little shaky, the direction wasn't as good as the first season (which isn't to say it was bad), but overall the performances made up for it. Also minus points for not showing Rachel McAdam's tits.

Tldr: good performances and a few good scenes in an otherwise mediocre season of a show.

does season 2 has that supernatural element season 1 had?

>Rachel McAdam's tits.
really?
she's an ass gilr

She's got a nice ass but I want to see those tits

1 had an interesting case with spooky cult overtones, and a dynamic partnership of big name moviestars. It was a simple case, with strong characters, and both of those elements expanded together.

2 was a meandering non-story from the start and the 2 big names, Farrell and Vaughn, had to share a lineup with 2 lesser names who had fucking boring personal stories.

I didnt even finish S2 as I was so completely bored with it. Boring characters, boring story, just a chore to watch.

I shit on s2 True Detective because it was bad.
I have dropped/not even bothered to watch the other shows you listed because they are even worse and not even worth my time.

Hope this answers your question.

you fucking spic

The problem that people had with Season 2 was that it was rushed and the writing suffered, and that it significantly departed in themes and tone from the 1st season.

Think about it, the first season is all about good vs. evil, standing up against the darkness in a very Southern Gothic way. There is a defined antagonist out there to be defeated, and even the setting and set pieces are gothic, with an emphasis on decaying structures and grotesque evil.

Season 2 on the other hand is a Western. We get a whole bunch of characters improbably thrown together, and who are they fighting? Chaos. They're up against these poorly defined systems that are all tied up with one another: corruption, real estate speculation, blackmail. It feels so different because it's a different genre of story. It's not about good vs. evil, it's about man vs. the wilderness, even if that means a postmodern human wilderness.

It gets a bad rap because Vince Vaungh can't pull off his jaded detached existential crisis. The writing isn't great with him to begin with, he's like the diet coke of Russ, but then he really fucks it up on delivery. Some of it is pure hot topic emo ridiculousness.

I genuinely enjoyed 2 more then 1. Really captured that gritty feeling of noir. 1 sizzled out and there was only one villian, plus the detective work felt too easy.

S2 is really divisive with people, at first I didn't really like it (I didn't think it was bad just not my thing) but after watching it a second time it brought me back to it. Is it better than S1? No. Is it as good as S1? Debatable.

What S2 did was create a show that tried to follow up on the massive success of the first season while still trying to deliver something new and different and I think they actually succeeded or at the least presented a quality product.

Everything from the feel of the show, the characters, all had this woven together appearance. While it didn't smack you in the face with philosophical and existential questions (as well as le cosmic horror) it was more subtle in the questions it did ask.

All in all I enjoyed both seasons and it's honestly pretty sad that it didn't get a third.

Oh and go fuck yourself for saying Fargo is shit, fucking fag. I'm being completely honest when I say you should consider suicide.

>slow moving
>plot is mostly dialogue driven
>characters casually and frequently namedrop people and events because they are familiar with them, leaving the audience to construct the narrative in their head with context clues
>not muh Rust
>not muh Marty
>not muh interrogation scene wraparound exposition dump
>not muh cosmic horror

It's a pleb filter. It took everything plebs ate up about the first season, dropped it, and tried to give them something equally unique. Plebs, naturally, were adverse to anything different.

I still remember how the "green paint" revelation hurt so many butts around here that you can't even mention the phrase without triggering someone.

Pizza should have shot an alternate ending where Rust gets sucked into Carcosa via interdimensional wormhole and has to fist fight The Yellow King, an eldritch abomination, with no shirt on.

Just so he could shut up and simultaneously mock every fucking retard who had a problem with S1's finale.

it was a boring, formulaic, cookie cutter cop drama spread on too many boring, two-dimensional cardboard cutouts of characters completly unispired trite turd of a show with nothing of the little charm the first season had. what made S1 work was the setting, both the louisiana swamps an shithole little towns lending to imagination as well as the interchanging timelines and unreliable narration, interesting dynamics between two comprehensively written characters with different philosophies, and lovecraftian undertones resulting in an engaging plot. S2 had the most generic setting imaginable, too many badly written characters with only ray rising above the rest, as well as bland, unengaging plot that lead nowhere. considering that pizzaplate has already writtein himself into a corner by the second half of S1 resulting in a subpar unsatisfying conclusion to what started of looking like an amzing show i was surprised he was given a second season but im glad he's finally shown himself to be the hack he truly is

Whoever taught you to read and write should be euthanized. Not because of the way you write, but the content of your writing.

everything i wrote is true, s2 was a disappointment to both the critics and the audience for the reasons stated above and the only people who disagree are retentious contrarians

>the interchanging timelines and unreliable narration, interesting dynamics between two comprehensively written characters with different philosophies, and lovecraftian undertones
>the second half of S1 resulting in a subpar unsatisfying conclusion

see

You're literally the kind of pleb I was describing.

Season 1 - good first half, disappointing second
Season 2 - shit first half, kinda decent second, pretty good last two episodes

Season 2 really fucked itself with having too many main characters. The gay subplot was total shit. The patrolman and the cop chick should have been combined into one honest cop character to contrast with Farrell and Vaughn. The politics thing was too abstract and tame to have any bite, most of the plot felt strangely distant and impersonal. Should have focused more on how fucked up the two kids have become.

Also, nobody else got serious The Big Nowhere vibes?

Nope. Youre legit insane and are so far gone you have warped memories of a fucking imageboard. The archives are all there for you to see how completely baffling and not well your original reply is.

i know prefectly well its you because you're probably the only person still looking for hidden depth in this failure of a season. i have already mentioned that the conclusion to s1 was subpar, the green paint reveal was pants on head retarded not because it came instead of in-your-face cosmic horror but bacuse it didnt make any fucking sense. the predictions during s1 ranged from shitposting to actually interesting hypotheses but at least there was wide-spread discussion, people were lookign for clues, hidden symbolism, connections between characters and instead got a fat retard on a lawnmover who painted his ears green 10 years ago. during s2 there were little to none prediction threads after the first few episodes and after people realised what a gigantic shit of a season they're watching. the only discussion it had sparked was the mockery of insanely bad lines spouted by the characters.

aw fuck did he just use the 'r' word

>This SHIT is delicious just like all this other DELICIOUS SHIT.

well we found scatman

Velcoro and Frank made season 2 damn good. Their dialogue between each other is fucking GOAT.

Also, Velcoro sitting in a dark bar drinking and smoking cigarettes was pretty comfy. I hated when Velcoro shaved his mustache off.

I think a lot of the disparity comes down to direction. 1 had a much better screenplay to start with, but it's really Fukunaga's vision that elevates the whole thing. It's been 3 years and I still have so many scenes burned into my memory, the imagery and atmosphere of the show is fantastic even when the writing falters

2, on the other, is a year younger yet I can't recall most of what happens. It's a dull mess of people sad and angry in bars, sad and angry at home, sad and angry in the middle of the night. Generic shots of LA highways and city lights replace the ultra-specific decaying southern gothic of the first season. Characters launch in exposition constantly and none of it sticks because of how it's presented to the audience. It's just bad direction, almost across the board until the finale, minus a couple set pieces

>>Marty's father-in-law molested the daughters

This is pretty obviously meant to be an implication. Nothing is really said out loud or even in subtext, but all the elements are there to make you consider it. The show is filled with details of this evil that pervades society everywhere

Yes.

Homocop died in the ending, 7th episode out of 8. There was nothing Lovecraftian about Ray's dreams.

>the predictions during s1 ranged from shitposting to actually interesting hypotheses but at least there was wide-spread discussion, people were lookign for clues, hidden symbolism, connections between characters and instead got a fat retard on a lawnmover who painted his ears green 10 years ago

So, again, you're upset because your intricate fan theory was proven incorrect. And the motif of S1's climax and both seasons in general - that all the evil and darkness in the world is created and perpetuated by ordinary human beings - went over your head.

Shit, Marty even has a line about the big clue to crack a case being right under your nose the whole time. He's basically saying if they hadn't been chasing bigger, intangible antagonists, they would have caught Childress sooner.

>during s2 there were little to none prediction threads after the first few episodes and after people realised what a gigantic shit of a season they're watching.

Or rather, they immediately cried "not muh Rust, not muh cosmic horror, not muh southern gothic aesthetic, not muh Fukunaga" and gave up on investing any real attention or time. The fact that Sup Forums was flooded with idiots asking which character was which and who Caspere was and all this dumb shit is blatant evidence that the majority of S1's vocal fans were ADHD riddled normies halfway paying attention, posting on their phones while watching.

>Season 2 on the other hand is a Western. We get a whole bunch of characters improbably thrown together, and who are they fighting? Chaos. They're up against these poorly defined systems that are all tied up with one another: corruption, real estate speculation, blackmail. It feels so different because it's a different genre of story. It's not about good vs. evil, it's about man vs. the wilderness, even if that means a postmodern human wilderness.
This sounds so much better than what we actually got

I thought it was bad because every character tried to be Rust, existentially moaning about their own shitty lives.

You need to have a straight man for the drama to actually land. An actual human being who speaks like a normal person and not just in pretentious Caspereposting

It's better than any of the garbage these idiots discuss here but it's betrayed by the ending turning into a standard American morality play you see coming a mile off.

Yeah but then he dies again, did his fucking ghost have a heart attack or something?

>season 2
youtube.com/watch?v=U5742DD5RXw

Amazing.

Post more TD videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=XhJGA2QvyeQ

youtube.com/watch?v=ARMF1Qr-zDI

nice

youtube.com/watch?v=QZTaR52ates

youtube.com/watch?v=RPXtOi0RCzg

lmao

youtu.be/vjF1uVEZf4I

this, im thirsting for neat modern noir film and tv-series so the second season absolutely hit the nail for me

too messy. central theme wasn't nearly interesting enough, if you even got hold of what it actually was the first time around. land holdings? train building? share prices? who gives a shit. that doesn't make interesting television.

characters were also all down in the dumps, cant have 4 underdogs all doing unnecessary, detached shit. a lot of the acting also wasn't good. had it been just qt copfu and ray, then ok. have vince as a side, not central character, ok. but it was all a convoluted mess

in all seriousness, the green paint ears should have been green ear protectors. it would have made infinite more sense being a career groundskeeper, and rust would have thought back to the school as opposed to an unrelated green house that some hag happened to keep the receipt 30 years after the fact

>suicide note was "as poorly written as the second season" of his TV show.

heh.

> Lovecraftian (Ray's dreams)

lovecraftian isn't the same as lynchian

fuck. the amount of shit been said about TD S1 vs S2 is overwhelming.
suggest stop mowing this lawn

what absolute hell was the point of the gay cop character?

>listing fargo next to GoT, Walking Dead and Mr. Memebot like they can all be grouped together

He was the star of the action scenes.

They started filming this a week ago. Ben Foster and Elle Fanning are playing the leads.

I like season 1 of this show.

Would I enjoy season 2 at all?

eh.

Colin Farrell was fucking hilarious in this. I heard it said that you can imagine Ray Velcoro as Pizzolatto taking the piss out of Rust Cohle. Rust Cohle was a drunk, burnout mystic who is preternaturally gifted as a detective, whereas Velcoro is a drunk burnout detective who's a complete fuckup and can't do anything right in his job or his own life.

>elle
trash
>ben foster
trash x2

This. Every time I thought the show was gonna start getting season 1 tier good it would do something stupid. Also can we talk about the writing? Why were the lines so weird?

Which one was Casper?

The dead one.

meme's aside this scene was kinda unsettling in a good way

oh ok. My memory on season 2 is fuzzy. Jesus I wish it was KINO

This actually made me mad. Why would he get paint on his ears instead of his entire head? The answer was most likely originally the ear protection but pizza probably changed it because it was too obvious.

that's not true

kek

based