Why is it so hard to score a penalty kick? Even the best football players miss them

Why is it so hard to score a penalty kick? Even the best football players miss them.
>Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/W42e8MeRXU4
youtube.com/watch?v=cMfrnTLonIM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they need it passed to them, if you over simplify somethings, itll bring out the shit in ppl.

>that meme walk
kek

lol 75~80% of penalty kicks are scored

Just how hard is it to hit the top corners in a penalty? never played football

Depends on the person's ability, ball, and weather but generally the top corner is the hardest spot to hit. A good player will have a 6/10 chance at least of getting the top corner. Bottom corners are much easier as you dont have to calculate lift/drift of the ball so should be atleast a 8/10

pointless to aim there.

a good player will probably hit 9/10 of all those shots in a training

youtu.be/W42e8MeRXU4

yeah, but training doesnt have pressure which is usually a big factor in matches

I think a lot of players rely on instinct to score and a penalty gives them too much time to think

you know what's pointless?
training for penalty shootouts.

only for experienced players, but defenders should practice incase of shootouts

It's not that they're shit, it's that they are remembered if they miss and the magnitude of the miss

I'm sure Zaza has hit a good percentage of penalty shots. Messi has a higher conversion rate than Ronaldo but is remembered because he missed his first penalty for Argentina in 11 years. People don't remember Ronaldo missing against Barcelona, missing against Chelsea, costing Madrid the title once by missing a penalty. Hell he even missed one against Austria when he "carried" Portugal in Euro 2016. Does anyone remember Higuain missing for Napoli and costing them a spot in the next year's Champions League? No.
I am one of the few that remember because I'm a columnist for a living.

protip: don't ever let a left footed player be anywhere near a penalty spot, he would just bottle it 8 times out of 10

Why do golfers miss a short putt?
Why do basketballers miss a free throw?
Why do footballers drop a wide open pass?
Why do baseballers miss a bunt?

>Does anyone remember Higuain missing for Napoli and costing them a spot in the next year's Champions League? No.
I do desu

Why don't they just kick it dead middle considering the goalie is always diving to one side or the other?

Generally speaking it's easier for the goalkeeper. Since a lot of keepers don't do a "take a bullet for the President" dive to one side they can generally leave an arm and save it

>"take a bullet for the President" dive
that's a fantastic description

why?It is a guaranteed goal if you have a good penalty taker in your team, better than training throw ins or weird free kicks techniques

Sometimes they do that and it works, but some goalkeepers don't dive and it can backfire

Tired after match so focus is less. Plus the pressure depending how important the match is

No, it's pretty easy and because it's so easy it becomes artificially difficult for players who have to perform to not actually do it. Pressure, reverse psych, overthinking and whatnot.

It can train the goalkeeper at least, something Argentina should focus on for this world cup after the trainwreck that the qyalifiers have been

you will never be able to recreate the tension, which is ultimately what fucks up players in penalty shootouts.
do you geniunely think Baggio didn't know how to shoot a penalty?

what the fuck are you even talking about, how would practicing penalty shootouts help our team?

Because if sports were easy, everyone would do them?

Trash thread, monsieur.

>Why do baseballers miss a bunt?
What VPN do you use?

youtube.com/watch?v=cMfrnTLonIM

Just risk everything to be a meme.

It's very hard to do it reliably enough that you'd do it in a situation under intense pressure with massive stakes. Statistically the best option is to hit it straight down the middle, but players don't like to do it because they look like massive twats when it goes wrong.

yer moms

bunting is nowhere near the trivial difficult of the others

I know, right?

kek

> Messi has a higher conversion rate than Ronaldo
No he doesn’t you lying piece of shit. Where the fuck do you get your info from?

It isn't. It is when there are nerves involved though. Good penalty takers have a strict routine that they follow everytime to cancel out nerves, ie a certain walk up, number of steps etc. The mechanisation of taking a penalty kick allows you to score them consistently because nerves dont influence performance that much. A lot of players (especially people that dont take them often) are massively influenced by nerves though and fail more often because of performance decline by nerves. You will hear managers say "but he always scores it on the training ground" in these situation. That is because nerves aren't a factor on the training ground.

> Choose a side
> Hit it as hard as you can
> Don't overthink it

It'll go in 90% of the time statistically, but with mind games pressure and fatigue at the end of a game players play themselves.

so cringe i cant even watch

Do soccer players ever slip?

I remember the coach of my university team praising how a left footed gigalanklet (I was left footed too, but reconverted) took the penalties and how "secure" the shot seemed, not the guy himself, but the way he did it. He literally just kicked it as hard as he could to either side making it quite espectacular when he scored. I only remember him ever actually getting two inside in practice.

We ended losing the final of the tournament in the penalties. Needless to say, he missed his

>School football tournament
>We have a stacked team and made it to national round 16
>Game goes to penalties
>We have a Pro kid on our team who also is Pro now
>is left footed
>misses his penalty
>we lose 5-4

Why are left footed players so awkward on penalties?

90% of goals are scored on intuition and decisions made in a fraction of a second.

the simple answer is overthinking.

>he doesnt just run up quick to get the goaler to react then slow down to a crawl and tap it in

Pathetic tbqh

>why is it so hard?
it's not, pressure is really on the keeper
>even the best footballer players miss them
>what is: pressure
even the best players are prone to overthinking and second guessing themselves
having a title on the line, an entire country of people supporting you, etc. will do that

the lewa penalty
he hasn't missed one in years

There's psychology behind this..

Essentially we process tasks differently when we're learning them to when we've got them down; you have to manually think through everything, which makes you clunky and awkward, until you've done it enough times that it becomes muscle memory and you no longer have to think about it.

The pressure of a penalty kick, particularly in a shootout, puts you back into that clunky mindset and your technique goes to shit.

>Zaza.
>Best anything.

Its pure mental on our training we play a game where we have to hit the bar on purpose and almost everyone hits it if you would ask Zaza or a pro player to hit the bar ten times on a training he would hit it ten times.

>I am one of the few that remember because I'm a columnist for a living.
Gab Marcotti shitposts on Sup Forums?

you could do it two or three times but next penalty goal you kick, the goalie will know do kick it to the center and he will save it just standing there like nothing happened

sadly, penalties can't bring our shitty team to a WC

R A R E
A
R
E

t. Lost two penalty shootouts during finals