Scorsese's best

Scorsese's best

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n-7TM3Udip
youtube.com/watch?v=lf69T0DUkuQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

Pretty damn good mate

I disagree with them message of the story.

It was the duty of the Tokugawa shogunate to protect the cultural heritage of the country from nefarious foreign influences and they knew the spread of Western religion was the foot in the door needed for European nations to root themselves within the country.

It's not their fault Europeans are choosing to destroy themselves by bringing in a much more violent and invasive 3rd world religion. It just goes to show they knew better

I would agree. And while absolutely unique, it's fun to pick out the Scorsese tropes that pop up, e.g. the 270-pan, voice-over narration
What was the message of the story, in your opinion? I felt that Scorsese didn't really take a side.

>I felt that Scorsese didn't really take a side.
This. At the end I wasn't sure what side I was on and I couldn't cling on to the movies message because it didn't take either side.

>74 year old man saves Hollywoof cinema
>he has been doing this regularly for 45 years
HOW

Best in a long time, at least. A surprise masterpiece.

It was his best since Wolf of Wall Street.

Scorsese hasn't made a great movie since the turn of the century

word

t. weeb

Definitely my favorite Scorsese film. His best? It's up there, for sure.

It always baffles me when "Hollywood" makes MUCH better 'Christian movies' than... well... Christian filmmakers do.

Not that surprising, I guess.

Speaking as a Christian and a filmmaker the shit we make is inexcusable. I mean, compare "Silence" or even the fucking Narnia movies to "God's Not Dead" or "Fireproof."

Agreed 100%

Fuck the Kikeadamy of Motion pictures, arts, and zionists for not giving it any nominations

But user
Scorsese is a Christian filmmaker

Agreed, not sure I'm going to rewatch it any time soon though.

It seems like Christian film makers always feel a need to use their films as vehicles to defend God and their beliefs from atheists which makes it hard to actually tell an interesting story.

Fucking retard off course Scorsese took a side. He's a freaking Catholic, the japs were acting like ISIS burning Christians alive, there is no "other side", the Christians were portrayed as good and humble the Buddhists were portrayed as ISIS. In the end Garfield even remained a true Christian but in silence. The movie wasn't about Christians vs. Buddhists, it was about the devoutness of Christians who suffer and God's apparent silence in response, so the Christians are forced to pray in silence in response.

I guess I meant, like, "we're making this movie specifically for evangelical or religious purposes" not "I'm a Christian making cool movies that might make people think about Jesus" (which is how 'Christian film' should be).

I got FAR more out of "Book of Eli" and even Aronofsky's "Noah" than something like C Me Dance. Yall HAVE heard of C Me Dance, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=n-7TM3Udip

You're right. I often think it's such a damn shame that, from my religious viewpoint obviously, Christians have access to the most creative force in the universe - the Creator himself - and we turn out utter shit.

I haven't seen this yet but I firmly believe Bringing out the Dead is his best

Protestants aren't Christians you dumbass they are Zionist Israel worshippers who donate money so pastors can build mansions and Israel can buy more weapons, they don't even believe in Eucharist.

Mel Gibson and Scorsese are self confessed Catholics, they make true christiankino.

Evangelists generally don't have a creative bone in their body

This is the same guy that will go to another thread and complain about multiculturalism. The fucking irony kek

>being a papist cuck
wew lad

Definitely underrated

>not following the heir of St Peter

>unironically being an idolator

it's quite good but I like a few others more

this is a movie that really sticks with you and is my pick for best of the year certainly

>Now I truly have the high ground

youtube.com/watch?v=lf69T0DUkuQ

Best no but it is up there. Was putting watching it off because I didn't care for the subject matter. Solid movie. But fuck me is Adam Driver an ugly dude.

I felt like Scorsese portrayed the Tokugawa Shogunate with respect to their point of view. I think Scorsese personally intended it to be a film more about Christian sacrifice in the face of brutality but it's not like you don't see the perfectly reasonable arguments in favor of suppressing the spread of Western ideology in their country

>people still thinking that Silence is intended to be a commentary on the political climate of 17th century Japan
It's a movie about belief first and foremost. It doesn't matter why was "right"

There are ways to protect your culture without mass murder and torture. I don't know why you weeb faggots keep trying to rationalize the shogunate's actions.

>the japs were acting like ISIS burning Christians alive
And the priests' hubris allowed it to continue. Garfield never truly suffered, in fact his followers suffered for him, yet he still saw himself as Christ-like. How is that humble?
Garfield most likely held on to Christianity because otherwise the guilt would destroy him.

>And the priests' hubris allowed it to continue.

What hubris? The fact that they held on to their beliefs through adversity?

>unironically being a heretic

Can you read the rest of my post before replying?

>"I'm a Christian making cool movies that might make people think about Jesus" (which is how 'Christian film' should be).

Most great art is allegorical or has pretty clear symbolism, unless you want to call the Sistine Chapel a bad painting for being too overt with it's religious imagery.

And if he betrayed his convictions, he would have demoralized his followers and betrayed their trust. That's what happens in the book.

t.soon to burn in hell

>demoralized his followers and betrayed their trust
Better than having them suffer and die. Anyone would understand that justification.

They would have suffered and died anyway. Suspected Christians were executed on the thinnest suppositions.

Reminder that Catholics literally believe that communion wine is the blood of Christ.
Reminder that the majority of Catholic tenets
(Including communion, sainthood, sin, confession) are not mentioned at all by Jesus Christ in his teachings.
Reminder that Catholics STILL think they're somehow superior despite their religion being some Jesus fan fiction

great kino

I guess I'm taking the Inquisitor's word for it but he does say at one point in the film that he would let the Christians go if Rodriguez apostatized.

But user that makes everything not-Catholic a derivative of fanfiction

>(Including communion, sainthood, sin, confession) are not mentioned at all by Jesus Christ in his teachings.
I've read stupid claims in Sup Forums. Worse than this one. But never on Sup Forums. This is the most stupid thing I've read on this board. Which is saying something.

can you upload images? i can't on every board

I should clarify, How Jesus approaches sin is different from how the Church does.
Please point to a quote from Jesus where he talks about the papacy.

WHY ARE UPLOADS FAILING REEEEE

>Garfield never truly suffered, in fact his followers suffered for him, yet he still saw himself as Christ-like. How is that humble?
>Garfield most likely held on to Christianity because otherwise the guilt would destroy him.

Matt 10:22 - "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."

Matt 16:25 - "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

Reminder that Christianity does not end with the bible

>pagan child molesters

>Reminder that the majority of Catholic tenets
(Including communion, sainthood, sin, confession) are not mentioned at all by Jesus Christ in his teachings.

To be fair he was hardly gonna tell people to partake of his blood and flesh while he was alive, was he? Unless he was into that kind of thing

Mormons leave

>Catholics literally believe that communion wine is the blood of Christ.
No. They believe in the miracle of transubstantiation. Its regular wine that magically turns into the blood of christ when you drink it.

Reminder that Catholics are so autistic they do not understand metaphor
Reminder that Catholics believe that heaven is LITERALLY a seed of mustard

good thing christianity wasn't nefarious.

Book of Eli is criminally underrated imo.

Awesome, well choreographed action scenes. Denzel and Oldman bring their A game. And the story of scripture being passed down orally like it was for hundreds of years before the printing press existed so monks wouldn't have to copy books by hand.

trips confirm

Maybe you are right about this being an interesting allegory for Islam trying to break into Europe again. Honestly though, they just sorta expect to riot burn guilt trip and bully people to believe their religion its not quite fair to try to equivocate them.

These guys played pretty fairly just raising a following by showing the power of their faith and legit got 300000 followers and nearly turned Japanese into Catholic but were thwarted just in time.

I think Scorcese wanted to show how you could have faith even when it seems like God doesn't exist at all because you are going to die for your beliefs.

The thing nobody seems to get is that if you deny your God to save your friends you are doing an ultimate betrayal of everything and everyone you stood for. All 300000 Japanese would also have followed a fool.

Well, some movies are just for fun or to tell a message. Sometimes Christian propaganda just exists. Still, come on we are BY FAR the best moviemakers out there, Christkino is probably like 100 movies in history. Jewkino like 20? I won't speak about Islamkino but it doesn't seem like more than 5 I could be wrong.

I agree with all your other Protestant stuff but this feels a little cheap to me. Of course he didn't say "make me a Pope" but its reasonable to assume that some organization would help to spread The Word and if a literal Apostle wants to do that thereby starting Catholicism then it should be okay..

I agree with this. Until the rise of Atheism, Christian movies were way way better because they just did things there way, they didn't think they needed to be defensive.

The part at the end where Rodrigues was finally able to wholeheartedly confess Kichijiro was incredibly moving. For most of the movie he hold Kichijiro in contempt and only confesses him out of duty, but once they're both apostates he learns true compassion. It reminded me of a bit of First Corinthians I read once.

>And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Silence is about a man who denounces faith, loses hope, but discovers charity.

Anyone who disagrees with this is fucking retarded.

>needing a film to have clear-cut good guys and bad guys

Seen this twice and it was even better the second time.

Yes.

lel

You're forgetting the evidence and scholars that support the story of Jesus

>His birth
>His teachings
>His followers
>His baptism
>His arrest
>His death

All without a doubt happened as the Bible states.

That all means that the multiple prophecies written (according to historical scholars) centuries before Christ was born all happen to be correct on the time, place, and person.

>let me guess: lucky guesses ayyylmao

nice

>the movie is about catholic hubris and the fallibility of its rigidity
>you think he took the side of catholicism

how come this wasn't even nominated for best picture? it literally shits on most of the nominees

Late release. Most people didn't get to see it on time.

The main reason why their was persecution of Christians was because of the squabbles between Dominicans and Jesuits. Japan din't want that nonsense on their shores.

Why isn't this movie marketed?

Creativity comes from lack of knowledge, form the unconsciousness. If you already have something in your mind as an inflatable truth, and salvation clearly in your grasp, there is not much you can say about it artistically.

>open the picture
>read andrew garfield
>close the picture
>added to the "not to torrent" list.

Thanks user.

See

This

by being one of the only sincere people in hollywood with an actual joy for filmmaking

>torrent
it's not for you, don't worry

He held onto Christianity because he believed it to be true.

There was nothing else he, or anyone, could do otherwise in the same situation of the held the same beliefs.

Yes but the Japanese certainly had a relatable standpoint.

He had a side but it was subtle.

Bizarrely technically flawed and nowhere near as compelling as the subject matter could allow for.
To me it was no more than pretty good.

But elements of the Jesus story were plagiarised.

Some of the drone shots were a surprise but I like the innovation in his oeuvre.

What did you find technically flawed?

I thought every use of CGI was awful.
Quite a bit of the editing, particularly in the beginning, was weirdly chosen and rough.
And the ADR was consistently bad, showing their mouths blatantly not moving in reverse shots.

Good movie overall if a tad indulgent in length

Honestly baffled by the casting choice of Andrew Garfield though. He tried his best but I still think he didn't have quite the range for Rodrigues.

Yeah I don't understand the people calling for him to get an Oscar.
He couldn't even get the accent right.

We only have third-party, non-biblical records of Jesus' baptism and execution. And what the New Testament tells us about his life was written decades after his death.
What the Torah prophesies about the Messiah could easily have been tacked on to the story of Jesus after the fact, along with his miracles and resurrection.

>Heretic pyramid schemers

>go watch this with my family
>halfway through they start talking about leaving
>"this movie is too boring, no action!!!"
>i resist and tell them to give it some time
>they watch for another 15 minutes then stand up and storm out of the screening
>i hesitate for a while but my beta instinct tells me to follow them

I feel so ashamed. Will never go back to that cinema again. The whole room was looking at us as we left. I felt like such an unforgivable pleb shit. Can't believe I will have to watch this on my laptop because my family is too blebean to appreciate true kino.

>Brutally kill peasants to mantain status quo
>gee, they're just protecting their culture

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama

I'm a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

WHAT WAS WITH BREAKING THE CUPS ON THE ROCK?!

>Daily reminder that protestantism started because some german jews from the HRE didn't want to pay its due to the Holy See.

>Daily reminder that protestants do not believe in the virginity of Saint Mary so therefore Jesus is not the child of God.

>Daily reminder that the protestant tennets see usury and accumulation of wealth as a sign of virtue.

>Daily reminder that no protestant nation has defended the faith like any other catholic nations against the muslim pagans.

>Daily reminder that protestantism was schemed by jews to bring the end of a Christian Europe.

>Daily reminder that if you are a protestant you are nothing but a philistine.

Matther 16:18

>Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”…

>Going against the will of Jesus Christ our lord and saviour
>Being a protestant

Pick both

Protestants truly are scum
Catholics are the true vicars of God and His chosen people