ARRIVAL

What do you think about this movie?
Personally, if this movie were a person, I'd have intense, sensual sex with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3skNCJvpPQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=F0ahB25FJ6o
youtube.com/watch?v=sK_amZCljVs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And it would give you massive blueballs like the deceptive cunt it is.

it was shit

Go on. I'm here for opinions.
Secretly, I'm here for opinions that validate my own, but I won't rip on you for bursting that bubble.

I don't get how coffee stains can predict the future, but whatever.

Probably the most accurate alien movie where humans just don't go guns blazing towards UFO's and aliens just decide to slaughter humans for no reason instead of trying to study and work with them.

I gave it a 6/10. I really didn't like the soundtrack and the fact that every character is flat except for Amy Adams. That and the BIG REVEAL scene went on for way too fucking long.

A very kino movie. Really made me think.

Makes me want to learn an African language so I can get a full understanding of why blacks love chicken and watermelon so much tbqh.

Many questions left unanswered, like why did the aliens show up? How would they need humanity's assistance in 3000 years? How does learning a language make you see through time? How did they learn to communicate with the heptapods so quickly (really wanted to see more of that)? Why did she chose to have a kid even though she knew it would end badly? Why did they land in 12 different places? Why don't they communicate with each other? How is a 5-dimensional being visible in a three dimensional world? I could go on and on.

user want alphabet disintegrate when movie picture continue

>I could go on and on

I'd rather you didnt since your points are inane and you clearly didnt even watch the movie properly.

I think you'd better never watch a movie ever again since you're clearly retarded and gay, and very reddit.

>Nice concept
>Good delivery
>Actual realistic scenario on first encounter
>Acceptable scenary
>Amy adams was good in it
>Most characters are just plot tools
>Sort of shitty soundtrack
Overall 8.3/10

While I thought that the Heptapod's purpose was sort of not that compelling, I do agree with your point that it's unoriginal to just have it be a war.
A few of those questions don't really matter. It's sort of like asking why Cthulhu sleeps in the ancient city. He's incomprehensible--that's this thing. I got a whole lot of cosmic horror vibes from the Heptapods. I guess that doesn't excuse their lack of backstory, but it does sort of emphasize its irrelevance.
I do wish that they had more to say about the 3000 years thing, yeah. I expected to see a scene where some future-humans encounter the Heptapods again.
Then again, that would been a jarring change of tone.

None of those things, makes the movie bad, on the contrary, none of those things are pivotal to the story yet you still wanted to know. You wanted to know about this movie, past what was needed to be shown.

In short, it intrigued you.

>language can control time
pontypool tier absurdity

I didn't pay much attention to the soundtrack. Was it really that bad? I never really noticed it except for the bit where they first arrive. The rising and falling vocal notes were really cool to me--felt familiar but alien.

No wonder this board is full of capeshit threads. You guys are fucking stupid. Watch the movie again please

Did you watch the movie?
>talking X language makes you think differently
>aliens language allow you to think outside of time
>she does things she knows she will do because she already did them because she's outside time
what's so hard to understand?

>user can put attention to the movie

very absurd

Not to say that some things weren't done right, mind you. The first walk inside the shell was one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a sci-fi and I was genuinely curious about Abbot and friends. That feeling of anxiety and wander you get at the begging when you don't know much yet is also done well.

>all left to interpretation meme

Yeah, I always found that lazy.

>X language makes you think differently

So will I fly if I learn how to communicate with birds? Living in five dimensions was their nature, it has jackshit to do with language.

But then again it's the movie about Amy's life and her relevance in saving Earth.

I thought it was really good and enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

laugh laugh laugh in sarcasm. return to reddit website

I'm hearing a lot of about five dimensions in this thread.
What basis do you guys have for saying they exist in the fifth dimension? Just the nature of them perceiving time as cyclical or something else?

Well, if the birds fly with their mental capability and not some physical ability, why not try it?

show me the way pls

No, you're missing the point. You'll never be able to fly. But according to the movie, you can actually live outside time. But in order to do this, you need to open up pathways and you do it with this alien language.

Agreed

the talking-in-broken-hectapod-English meme is the best meme of 2016. It really tickles my fancy

They've evolved to fly though, same as the heptapods adapted to live outside of time to suit their needs. It takes time, thinking like them won't do much.

This is why I think that the Heptapods had to have physically given Dr. Banks the ability to perceive time as cyclical. I don't really like the idea that she just picked it up.

I would like a spin off documentary that just showed the scientists communicating with the aliens, with no story arc or edits. Just a day in the life of first contacts.

Sort of like that 'Alien Planet' documentary. I'd be down.

See, if the entire film had been about learning their language, it would probably have been one of my favorites. It would also be the ultimate pleb filter.

Loved it, I just kinda wish there was more of the hurdles of trying to communicate with these new lifeforms and them slowly figuring out their language. Maybe conflict arising from misinterpreted messages (I guess it kinda was) but a lot of the film felt so fresh and I've seen plenty of military aggression between country shit before

>It takes time
see this , and I think it pleases both view on how Banks acquired her gift.

and also the aliens know what they are doing, because they know everything (a little bit of false plot, you may think, but it's pretty cool to assume)

She's not "picking it up" in the sense that it's not something she realises. It's just how things works in the movie though.

Also I don't think they perceive time as cyclical. Rather, they simply perceive time differently. Instead of only movie through the 4th dimension in one direction, they jump places back and forward

Did Abbot know he would death process?

;_;

>mfw people still think she was time traveling and not just perceiving the entire deterministic timeline

I figured they did because of how their language is physically represented. Like an ouroboros, it has no start or end. I imagine they, too, perceive time lack that.
I think that Dr. Banks' perception is weaker than theirs--it was learned, not innate. They probably see everything happening all at once. For them, the 'present' probably doesn't even exist as a concept. Just my interpretation.
^

She didn't just pick it up. She started having small glimpses of the future as soon as she started comprehending their language. It was only once she comprehended that big one that she achieved full vision outside time.

Haha this guy in every single Arrival thread. What a loser.

Makes sense. Didn't notice the ouroboros. Nice call

The direction was too anemic.
Villeneuve is starting to remind me of Shymalan. Every single scene or motion is too drawn out and outstays its welcome.

I unironically think that someone like Michael Bay would to a much better job with the same script.

And oddly enough I think that JJ, given the same script would give us exactly the same movie we got. Except we'd never see the aliens at all.

See, that's my main issue with the whole film.
I don't think that it would be possible for a human being to see into the future, nor perceive it, even with the help of another language.
But I'll buy that during the scene in which Banks is immersed in their chamber, they gave her that ability.
But that's contradicted by the flashforwards throughout the film.
There's no solution, I think. Probably just gotta live with it.

Had a lot more shot-by-shot creativity than Shymalan, though as far as the concepts go, I can't fully disagree with you. Things were slow (though generally, as a taste thing, I like slower movies).
What would Michael Bay do that Villeneuve didn't? Or what would he not do that Villeneuve did?

>I don't think that it would be possible for a human being to see into the future, nor perceive it, even with the help of another language.

We are able to perceive abstract concepts and mathematics through the help of language.

Granted it's probably a stretch but not so far that it falls completely and utterly outside the realms of possibility.

>I don't think that it would be possible for a human being to see into the future, nor perceive it, even with the help of another language.
It obviously is possible in the movie's universe, hence why they bother teaching humans the language and all the flashbacks and whatnot.

The first half was great, I didn't really think where the story went from there was all that interesting

I guess we'll only find out when we're visited by megalithic semi-eggs from space.
Accurate point. I guess nothing really falls /completely/ out of the realm of possibility.

See above.

It's not possible for almost any science fiction thriller concept to actually exist.

The idea is to take a concept and exaggerate it to create a fantastical story that seems more based in reality than just making everything operate by way of magic.

It's not less believable than something like Jurassic Park.

Bingo. Although I sat through it and still enjoyed it, I feel like it could have been stronger somehow. A lot of build-up for a fairly traditional story and a weak-ish payoff (I like the idea of time-ouroboros space heptapuss demons, but not how they used it).

Yeah, but I really feel the events in the film were far more grounded than something like Jurassic Park. It took our world--our universe--and plopped a foreign element--the Heptapods--into it. And that was it: an alien race that humanity had to figure out.
The transmission of the ability to see forward felt like it was more than that simple plop, if you catch me.
It isn't a big problem, I think, but it is my biggest. Which is good for the movie's sake, in the end.

Taking my leave for the night.
Thanks all for discussion. There was some good back-and-forth (and some not-so-good back-and-forth). I appreciate it.

Is Jóhann Jóhannsson a patrician composer?

youtube.com/watch?v=3skNCJvpPQ4

Wasn't the creator of the OST the same guy who did the leftovers?

Not sure, but he did the Theory of Everything, which I have not seen.

This is so good though.
youtube.com/watch?v=F0ahB25FJ6o

Leftovers guy only did this one it seems

youtube.com/watch?v=sK_amZCljVs

I really, really wanted to like this movie. Even while I was watching it I tried to convince myself it was good.

But it wasn't. It was shit and I'm just a little angry with myself for buying it. Now every time I see that on my library I will be reminded.

You're a Heptapod.

>So will I fly if I learn how to communicate with birds?
If birds are as intelligent as the Heptapods. Yes

This is a joke right? these confusion posts are bait right? Like you're trying to be funny?

>UPLOAD FAILED
UPLOAD FAILED
>UPLOAD FAILED
UPLOAD FAILED
>UPLOAD FAILED
UPLOAD FAILED
>UPLOAD FAILED
UPLOAD FAILED
>UPLOAD FAILED
UPLOAD FAILED

>abbott is death process

why is this happening?

If it passed me on the street naked, I wouldn't even look back.
It feels leagues below Villeneuve's other work. Seems like he just needed something to do while working on Blade Runner. It baffles me how this gets so much praise. Sure, plot-wise, it's somewhat refreshing among all the alien movies, as mentions, but that's about all it has going for it.

the movie presents the tired meme theory that the time is set as an existing fourth dimension and that everything that happened and happens is already set there and we are simply reading that dimension in order, like reading a book, but learning the language allowed her to skip ahead in the book and read the future pages
the movie is boring and the concept is fucking retarded
i thought that the time travel concept in interstellar was stupid and it couldn't get any worse but oh boy has this movie proven me wrong

B-but, suspension of disbelief!

no

I can suspense my disbelief if the movie or whatever is not solely focused on a concept that does not make any sense, which is the case for most of the fantasy/sci-fi movies/shows/books. But, Arrival is not that. Arrival is like if Back to the Future was about how to travel in time.

Genuine retard detected.

I'm not sure if those aliens have vaginas or not, but fuck it.

..........does it matter

This movie was made for retards. Amy Adams does that independence day thing where they link words together and hawkeye's last line was sappy shit.

>the concept is fucking retarded
The concept itself isn't particularly retarded, and it makes sense within our current knowledge of time.
What's retarded is bringing it into fiction, because that requires understanding of the concept of being "outside of time", which we don't possess beyond a very vague conceptual level. Therefore, directors end up introducing their own fluff to the concept. Essentially, it's people trying to portray things at a higher level than they understand them, which is impossible. Interstellar has the same problem. I wish they stopped trying to tackle concepts we're insofar incapable of understanding, because, as you say, it comes off as retarded.
And I agree, the movie isn't very good.

Villeneuve did a great job of taking a dry hard science fiction short story and turning it into an engaging 2 hour movie.

They have no basis. They are retard process

The idea is that her being a top-tier linguist and the movies exaggerated version of the language-affects-mindset theory that they bring up, as well as her being on the on the forefront of communication and translation efforts, enables her to deeply understand the language in a way no one else does yet. This understanding leads to her seeing time like they do.

It's definitely a little far-fetched but its sci-fi, kinda comes with the territory.

It starts out great but then goes really stupid.

I was really hoping it wasn't going to be some contrived time shit and then it turns out it's exactly that. Everything good the movie had going for it is dropped in favor of pandering to people who love Interstellar.

>DUDE WE HAVE TO LIKE WORK TOGETHER AND COMMUNICATE AND SHIT LMAO

Well this is certainly one of the most pathetic Arrival threads yet

>hype up weird aliens who came to earth talk to us
>movie is actually about boring teacher and her dying kid

Blame marketing and your preconcieved expectations, not the movie

The movie was hyping aliens too.

Almost whole time they were trying to look them mysterious and shit, but it had no pay-off.

What kind of pay off did you want?

Well usually I want movie to surprise me.

But it does seem like you were surprised by where the story ended up.

I was mainly disappointed.

it was

>Why did she chose to have a kid even though she knew it would end badly?

And why did Renner leave her on her own when he found out she knew the kid was going to die? What a cunt.

This thread is shitpost process

>Why did she chose to have a kid even though she knew it would end badly?

And why did Renner leave her on her own when he found out she knew the kid was going to die? What a cunt.

Started off strong and built from there, the part where she is hearing the bird chirping while working on deciphering the language had me on the edge of my seat and I haven't felt that tense since The Shining. But it devolved into deus ex machina at the end. The ending reminded me of Interstellar for some reason which is bad because Nolan is a hack.

I think there's better film discussion happening even on bodybuilding.com than on this abomination of a board

I think there's better film discussion happening even on bodybuilding.com than on this abomination of a board

It was decent. I liked the visualization of the aliens and their language, but the plot was ultimately too corny for my taste. Acting was fine, but the movie didn't really blow me away.

Daily reminder that posts like these shouldnt be a surprise when we have people who struggle to understand basic points in movies like Edge of Tomorrow or the MCU stuff.

he didnt
they broke up because he was pissed that she never told him
their daughter still visits him but his behavior changed because he feels guilty

>abbott is death process

-The whole language thing is completely unrealistic and that's a proven fact. It's literally just magic.
-The personnel handling the encounter are unbelievably incompetent, why did they assign a brainless meathead to lead the whole team? The Army surely has more competent people than a buffoon who doesn't even have an elementary school understanding of how language works.
-Why would the Chinese want to start a war they have no hope of winning? They wouldn't. Yet that's what they were going to do, because this movie is shit.

I can't see anything good in this movie.