Remind me why he sent Tom Cruise to the front lines again? He said he wanted Tom to sell the invasion...

Remind me why he sent Tom Cruise to the front lines again? He said he wanted Tom to sell the invasion, but didn't give him a camera crew or a microphone or fucking anything.

Did he just realize they were all about to die and wanted to fuck with somebody one last time?

great kino, but terrible plot hole.

he hated the guy and knew they would die

Cruise tried to blackmail him with his influence, so Gleeson had him thrown to the front lines so Cruise couldn't do anything.

He's aware of the time jumps, the theory of the omega and the enemy's uncanny ability to predict his next move.

Part of his method is to interject randomness in to the battlefield, hence the rag tag group of complete misfits with marginal military training being dumped on the front line.

Note Bill Paxton's sly grin as the alien rolls up on the before Tom dies in the blood.

>you're gonna miss your moment

Military secrets prevent offical acknowledgement, but even his secretary seemed relatively unphased by a strange man reciting her family history to her, suggesting its happened before

So you're saying up until that point he really did think it was a good idea to have Cruise do a segment in the front lines of the most dangerous battle in the history of mankind?

I'm not being a smug little shit, I'm really asking if that's your opinion.

GONNA JUST SAY ONE THING

TEST PATTERNS ARE FUCKING KINO

Interesting. I thought that's just what Paxton's face looks like.

>So you're saying up until that point he really did think it was a good idea to have Cruise do a segment in the front lines of the most dangerous battle in the history of mankind?

Yes.

It doesn't make sense that he would even need to do a fluff piece from the front lines in the first place. I don't see how people getting a ground level view of the battle would really make him look any better, especially if they all die on the beach.

Makes no sense that he wouldn't want to keep a press guy like Cruise back at HQ and running spin stories for why the invasion succeeded/failed. Did he really think the public would get a morale boost from seeing a guy who never saw combat screaming and shitting himself as aliens started tearing his limbs off?

The only way any of this makes sense is if Cruise's character fucked some US general's daughter and that's why he got sent to London with no clue what he was really supposed to be doing there.

Also lol@ no heavy artillery or air/naval support (except to throw them on the beach).

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure it was to fuck with Cruise for trying to blackmail him.

He doesn't try to blackmail him until after gleeson says he has to go do that shit, though.

This is pretty much what I was getting at, but user said it better than me. Gleeson tells cruise that the battle, even if it is a success, is gonna see a ton of casualites, and he needs cruise to sell the necessity of the invasion so that he (gleeson) doesn't get shit for it, or something.

I can think of a million ways to use a spokesperson with a skill for rhetoric to convince the public that the attack is needed. Showing him dying on camera, showing any of the soldiers dying on camera, is not one of them.

He didn't like him and considering the fatality rate of beach invasions he was hoping that he'd die in the battle due to a combination of inexperience and no one liking him enough to watch out for him.

His plan worked too, since Cage spent the next several years at least dying over and over again.

That guy is the reason they won the war.

was he trying to make a martyr? that actually makes alotta sense...

No, he just hated Tom Cruise.

He didn't need anyone to sell the invasion anymore. It was approved and as far as he was concerned Cruise was just dead weight at that point.

So he just fucked him over for his own satisfaction.

>he hates Tom Cruise

the least believable thing in the movie

Europe's basically finished at this point, the entire world is next, so the leader of the united militaries is basically a fucking emperor at this point., so he can do pretty much what he wants.

He also specifically says that Cruise is being sent to an area where he wholeheartedly believes there will be little to no resistance.

Also, according to the intel reports and data he has, a random untrained woman was able to wipe the floor with the enemy in the last battle wearing one of the fan dangle new suits hes given everyone, so legitimately believes, this is going to be a great victory for human kind.

So with all of this filling his head, he wanted the victory recorded from the front, and some snot nosed shit back talks and black mails him.
So he does what he does, and simply organises someone else to do the job he wanted Cruise to do.
Not really a plot hole when you think about it

>organises someone else to do the job he wanted Cruise to do

I wanna see that movie.

this. it's really that simple, no plot hole here.

Its similar to Cruises run through, its a short movie

the movie does nothing to imply they even know each other

Because he knew the only way to beat the Mimics was to send Tom Cruise to the front lines so that Cruise gets their ability.

He knew everything that transpired in the films would happen. He was right.

The one plot hole in this movie that drove me crazy was, how did Blunt know that she lost the groundhog day power? It's kind of something you continue to have until you find out you lost it by dying.

because it resets you to a certain time, and once she lost it it reset it to cruises time which is obviously different to hers

She lost the feel.

Why did he resist giving Cruise the magic syringe from the safe for so long, then? To give Cruise more practice? Actually that kind of works.

>inb4 how did Gleeson know how long Cruise had been training?

He would be able to get some idea from gauging the amount of information in Cruise's pitch and his frustration level.

>find out you lost it by dying.
She didn't die, that was the problem. She was injured and received a blood transfusion. She remembers she had the power because she lived thru it.

Oh, shit. Another "Starship Troopers attack on Buenos Aires was an inside job" conspiracy.

They believed they had learned how to beat the Mimicks. The invasion was expected to be bloody, but successful.

The only personwho could remember the past time loops was the person who had died covered in Alpha blood. The general obviously had not.

some europoor fucking over an american

sounds about right

And despite the betrayal by his 'ally', the based American saves Europe again. This is clearly a metaphor for the rise of God Emperor Trump.

Nuke-moot sucks.

Remind me why Cruise didn't have a grenade or two on him all the time to end his life is shit got fucked.