Combined budget: $1 BILLION dollars

>combined budget: $1 BILLION dollars

Why on EARTH would they need that much money to make movies?

Now how much of that budget goes to RDJ's paycheck?

$100,000,000

RDJ is holding onto the MARVEL franchise for dear life so that he doesn't fade back into obscurity, so I'd say not that much.

I don't know his base salary, but I think he still has a % of box office gross. Just not as high as Avengers 1.

The combined budget is roughly $650 million.

Which is still pretty damn high.

They need enough money to pay for the critics reviews

500,000,000 for rdj
200,000,000 for everyone else
200,000,000 for advertising
99,999,999.99 for actual movie
1 for script

The only movies that make money anymore are superhero movies so they might as well go all out

This is obviously their biggest movie that they pretend all these other movies have been amounting to. It's practically their grand finale as far as Avengers goes. Why the FUCK wouldn't you hire on a real director for The Avengers' big sendoff? The answer is here

Isn't there a point of diminishing returns? Just because you spent more money on it doesn't mean it will make more.

I'm guessing the giant cast and crew plus an elaborate CGI budget over the course of 6 hours of film + marketing.

I'm probably forgetting the "breakfast and lunch" budget. Doesn't matter those, these movies are going to print money...and if you even give a single fuck about watching just thank the stars they didn't make it a trilogy.

>Titanic was made for 200mil
>this shit costs almost 1bil

pathethic

hes the highest paid actor there. hes gonna make DC great again with Mel in the near future though.

Because they have the director of the best movie in the franchise.

If they stop wasting cash on movies that barely break even or even lose money, they can redistribute that money to their only sure thing, being able to hypothetically make it better to make sure they don't lose any of their current audience.

These movies keep getting more and more expensive...cast, crew, SFX, marketing...do they really make marginally increasing profits? Surely the MCU has just been maintaining the same audience, that gradually grows. No doubt these two are highly anticipated movies, but it can't just make a shitload from people going to see it over and over at the cinema. Will they just give everyone new costumes so they can make back the budget in toys?

we can't fathom the CGI fuckery what will come with thanos, i mean that gauntlet is fucked up. They will spend absurd money on the cgi alone.

They won't but it'd be nice to see them fail. This bloated budget blockbuster bullshit bubble must burst.

Look at a film like Split. Okay, it's not high art or anything but it's better than capeshit and it had a production budget of $9 million and made $200 million at the box office.

Even if you just want to make movies to make money how is that not the better business model?

Why does it look like it controls like a chomPANzee?

I wasted cell data downloading that to VLC you piece of shit.

>phone cuck

>Why on EARTH would they need that much money to make movies?
They don't. The combined budget is $500m. The $1bn figure has just been passed around by retards that can't read.

It's mainly the cast.

They're bringing in everyone and they all want money. Antman and memelord especially can ask for whatever they want

CGI costs a shitload more now then it did in the 90's. And don't act like Cameron isn't the worst money wasting director ever. If he was making this it would cost 10x as much.

>Antman

You mean Downey Jr?

80% of the budget is to make robert "down here" jr look taller

who else could I be talking about?

I don't understand this. This guy has more fucking money than god. He can do whatever or whomever the fuck he wants, and yet wants more recognition, more fame, more money?

Still won't be enough.

I wonder how much they pay the quip writer.

Like 1000 unionized people will work full time all over the world for 2-3 years.

Labor cost are what drives a budget up. Union rules are very strict so going over on projected time tables often means you have to pay everyone double when catching up.

>quip writer
>singular

There's only a handful of filmmakers that can ask to get their movie made with whatever the budget they want. And even then, they usually do some blockbuster to earn that trust.

So, why should execs waste their time listening to pitches when they could use their influence to make the movies they believe will make money? Writer's Strike reminded studios they don't need them to make half-assed work. Might as well do that yourself and take all the credit.

35 cents a quip

Watch the credits to Civil War. They had a separate crew for every location they filmed in.

>This guy has more fucking money than god

He's not even the highest paid actor in Hollywood, fuck off.

That's way too much, he'd be a millionaire by now.

I'd say closer to 3 cents per quip.

At least 100 millions

He's short, had a public spiral down and got raped in prison. He developed a complex and needs the attention and money to justify his self-destruction so he doesn't break down.

They filmed in more than one location?

>CGI costs a shitload more now then it did in the 90's.
how is this true? cameron had to spend money on model makers, physical film, water-trained stuntmen, in addition to CGI machines and personnel and it still came out to 200mil (granted in 1997 dollars)

These capeshit films use greenscreen 95% of the time, theres no way its more expensive

They had a green screen AND a blue screen

>There's only a handful of directors who can get their shit together and produce something with a limited budget.

Fixed it for you
Also

>There's only a handful of directors than can deal with a gigantic budget, cast and crew.

Chris Pratt and Cumbuttache aren't cheap actors either these days. Paying the cast of every marvel movie combined costs a ton.

Dude those green walmart curtains are super expensive right now.

>Look at a film like Split
Fucking garbage. You're a WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT! You failed at this...and at life

these films will make a ton but costs so much to make I wonder if the profit margin is even going to be worth it

People still care about capeshit?

This is a sci-fi space epic action film. Titanic is a romance movie about a boat. They're not comparable.

RDJ will become a major player at Marvel. I predict he will spend the rest of his career as producer

>yfw kikes need to launder a shit ton of money so this unexpectedly bombs
That'd be fucking awesome

Theyll make that back in China ticket sales. Domestic gross will be all profit

Did you stop reading right at that end of that sentence?

They got Pratt cheap. He became a major star because of GOTG. The first contract roped him for at least 4 movies at pleb prices

why are people who use ellipses retarded

same with exclamation marks

>ellipses
you mean reddit dots

Probably has to do with render times. These movies have walls of Asian and Indian names doing VFX. Also why some scenes look so bad.

>how is that not the better business model?
merchandising mate. Disney/Marvel will make more from that then their films ever could.

You have horrible taste and should stick to watching capeshit, where every action scene contains at least 1000 cuts

dude punctuation is bad lmao

They filmed all over the world. It was in the credits.

>how is this true?

touche.

What's the rest of the industry's excuse when they're not making billions from plastic crap for their underwhelming grosses or absolute box office failures?

This. Otherwise he would've left.

Honestly makes sense. He's built the brand and they already involve him with some pretty high decisions. I know Hemsworth brought in Tom Holland for Spider-man and RDJ supported him over Asa Butterfeld who the other execs wanted.

Civil War was 250 mil and made over a bil. That's like 3-4 Splits for just one movie. Its just that the risk is enormous in some cases.

all movies are just a money laundering operation user

no profit will be recorded but everyone involved will be set for 10 lifetimes

If that was true he would have agreed to Iron Man 4.

He's in talks for Iron Man 4 but he wants Jon Favreau. Favreau seems to be in though ever since Feige took total control of the MCU.

There were establishing shots from all over the world I'll give you that.

Why should you care how much it costs?

Because 700m of it is going to RDJ. Obviously. Are you being ironic OP?

They shot in Germany, Puerto Rico, Iceland and Atlanta.

It will start diminishing after these next two Avengers movies. They are trying to move on from the characters they have now and introduce new ones, and I'm not really into the new characters. I think it might actually be all downhill after Infinity Wars.

They're aware of that possibility and have already said they're scaling down the movies after "Infinity War" to more maneagle budgets and lower scales.

There's a rumor their post-Thanos plans are an adaptation of "Dark Reign" which basically entails to a massive government conspiracy involving supervillains.

>mfw Lord of the Rings came out 15 years ago and the three films had a budget of 90mil each
>that budget went to the ensemble cast, CGI (some of which was made with techniques literally invented by the people working on the film), real props and sets, as well as filming on location

now:
>1 billion dollars to film in a soundstage in Atlanta

that's because it required 4 years of preproduction

this Disney faggotry is requring ONE year of preproduction, a HALF a year of filming, and then another half/year of post-production

they want their movies out like fucking McDonalds, that's why they're throwing cash at it

they want to milk capeshit as fast as possible before it starts tanking

Granted but if you take that $250 million and make 27 Splits that each make $200 million than you end up with $5.4 billion for the cost to make one $1 billion grossing film.

I think that's where Civil War went wrong that was fuckin rushed and it showed.

>cg will still look shittier than stranger things somehow

Because it's going to gross a combined 3 billion.

pratt was some fat guy who was on like 6 seasons of a low budget office ripoff like 4 years ago/

>Dark Reign

I don't think MCU is ballsy enough to do that since the parallels between a corrupt evil billionaire in change of the country hits too close to home right now.

Obviously there's going to be a fuckload of CGI.

I'm not memeing, but I heard something about how RDJ picked Holland over Butterfield because the latter is taller than him. Anyone knows if this is true?

K I N O

I

N

O

budget for all those stars does seem to be most of the budget to be honest

Make sense

I wonder what part 2 will actually be called.

fpbp

What's wrong with spending money on movies? People are getting paid to work. Are you a commie, you sick fuck?

I thought rendering farms was the cheaper solution than in house rendering

This is including the marketing budget, which is often nearly as much as the production budget for blockbusters.

It breaks down to be about $250M for each film, two films makes $500M. That includes the cast and crew salary (which will be staggering, considering this is the biggest celebrity ensemble in the history of cinema) many of whom will get a % of the gross as well as their mega-million flat payment. Plus renting locations, furnishing sets, buying props, transportation costs, equipment, and CGI/visual effects.

So that's just to get the film off the ground. Now you have to advertise your film. Which is buying TV spots, web-ads, billboards, bus-ads, etc. When Episode 7 came out there was a giant billboard in my shitty little suburb of Brisbane for two months, that alone would have been in the tens of thousands. That was one billboard, now just imagine how much the entire city cost to advertise in. Now just imagine those hundreds of thousands being spent everywhere from Baltimore to Beijing. Marketing is HUGE, and contrary to popular belief, things like this don't market themselves. It's a science of dollars invested means dollars earned, something Disney knows very well.

Now, these films are going to be the culmination of the biggest cultural phenomenon since Star Wars, so they're going to earn a fucking ton of money. Let's conservatively say $2B each.

So $4B, of which Disney will actually see little over $2B, since theaters shave off between 30-50% of every ticket sold. Now Disney has to pay off it's % earned to its actors and producers. Now the Avengers are filming in Georgia, which means they get 20% tax credit, or 30% if they just show the Georgia peach logo at the end of their credits (yes, you get 10% tax credit if you show a fucking logo).

So all in all after all those costs and this $1B budget, these films will end up making around $750M pure profit for the Mouse. And this is before we've even started on merchandising.

Infinity Crusade

But surely this won't be the end of the MCU, so where will they go from here?
Will we get a Vision movie based on Tom King's stuff? Will we get Squadron Supreme? Annihilation? A Spider-Man movie once a year?

Will they hire a proper cinematographer this time? Or even pay their current one enough to at least try

Carol Danvers aka Marvel Wonder Woman, she'll replace Ironman and become the main focus of the future movies. Probably give her a romance with Black Panther.

>This is including the marketing budget
It's a completely made up figure. A site saw $500m for the budget, knew they were doing two, so assumed it was $1bn altogether, when in reality it's $500m for both.

Because they know it will make a passive profit so they inflate the budget so don't get hit with so much taxes.

They create a dozen new companies and then hire these companies and give them massive contracts to actual make the film.

It drives up the reported budget, while still keeping all the money in the studio then they can write off the movie as a loss for the studio. The smaller companies get a tax hit but nothing near what the studio would pay. Then they disband all the companies and start again.

For most big budget blockbusters less than half of the reported budget actually makes it on screen. The rest is funneled back to the studio.