Is this kino or overrated pretentious garbage?

Is this kino or overrated pretentious garbage?

I haven't seen The Master, The Prestige, or The Illusionist.

Which best?

The Master

The Prestige is decent

never seen The Illusionist

Boring as hell but I saw it 3 times for some reason.

indulgent garbage. This movie turned me off PTA

It's kind of average at first but it sticks with you until you watch it again and realise how good it is.

They have nothing in common

The Master by far

There Will be Blood

The illusionist and the prestige have nothing in common? Uhh

That's some funny shit right there. Respect.

The Cobbler or The Greasy Steangler

Hottest pile

boring movie but the joaquin phoenix character is basically the average Sup Forums poster

The illusionist and the prestige are literally the same movie

The Church of Scientology had Hoffman killed

it's kino. notice none of the redditors in the thread have actually talked about the movie

der latter

One of the best films of '10s

go watch it

I remember being very engaged by the first half of it but kind of losing track in the 2nd.

I didn't get the ending at all. I feel like I need to rewatch it.

The movie is about what we let control us. Whether it's a woman, a social precept, or an ideological doctrine, we all end up controlled by something. And to a certain extent, we need it that way; Joaquin's character ends up alone with no friends, no real lasting identity, and a constant need to numb himself. All because of his unwillingness to cede control of any part of his life.

kino, no doubt about it

Literally the same here

His next movie was better

Best movie of the decade, anyone saying it's bad it's a bottom of the barrel plebelord, no matter how many fancy words he uses

Literally this, the Master is about the power we give to others and the high price of freedom.

Top tier kino, Inherent Vice was great too. Will PTA break his streak of +8/10 movies with the new one?

Great acting but I felt it needs a director's cut to make more sense.

Still 9/10. Inherent Vice was also great. PTA is on loose.

one of the only films ive ever seen that was more boring than my dinner with andre

Good performances, universal theme, good cinematography. Anyone who says this movie isn't at least an 8/10 is a contrarian fuck.

Nope, he got Daniel Day Lewis on his side

The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.

It's kino, thematically it's like A Clockwork Orange minus the parts for the ADHD audience and with more power dynamics

holy fuck pleb

great movie. genuinely engaging, interesting story, great acting, fantastic cinematography, oh ya it's definitely kino

I agree with this about the first and second half, though the end was simple.

>overrated pretentious garbage
It really is. Sup Forums and most self-professed cinephiles drool over it, which should be evidence enough.

I honestly think that The Master is PTA's best film so far followed by Boogie Nights then TWBB then Inherent Vice then the rest.