Why are good horror movies so rare?

no jump scares, no corny stuff, no gore, no stupid looking monsters

wheres my pure eerie suspense and human to human intereaction ffs

Watch the Witch

>wheres my pure eerie suspense and human to human intereaction ffs
the babadook

>why is a visual medium taking advantage of a visual medium.

Reals?

Because anyone can shit out a horror film. They don't require much money so it's rare to find one that was actually fueled by talent.

Its good, but that scary. Some scenes were a bit chilling though.
>the transformation of the goat
>the ending
probably the only scary parts.
But then again living in the woods back in those times would be scary if you think about it since they believed in all kinds of fuckery.

It's a shit genre.The overall effort that goes into them isn't great for some reason or another. For example they don't have a mix of good cinematography, acting, soundtrack, plot, editing, and pretty much everything else that you find in a quality film. They have one or a few of those aspects but not all of them. Fight me faggots, it's true.

There are a few good and enjoyable horror films but none of them are really that great.

eraserhead is perfect

>The Terror by Dan Simmons movie never
why live

lol no. Try again.

In The Mouth of Madness.

You have bad taste friend

Because the Horror genre only exists to watch bimbos get fucked on screen and then promptly slaughtered.

If you're not into that, you're gay and should move on to something else.

It's not perfect though. It's really not even that good.

I WANT A HORROR LIKE
"THE GAME"
BUT WITHOUT THAT FUCKING DISGUSTING ENDING

Again, you have bad taste, friend.

You don't genuinely like the movie. You only think it's perfect because it makes you look like you know a thing or two about movies. It's overrated garbage.

Cabin Fever
Hostel

The age of thriller kino is behind us

I'm not upset at you, you're just in your embryonic stage, probably underage too.

>But then again living in the woods back in those times would be scary if you think about it since they believed in all kinds of fuckery.
Try doing it now. You will shit logs

even as a fedora tipping atheist I might add.

And I'm not upset at you, friend, but one day you'll look back and realize how much of a pretentious fag you were and how you didn't think for yourself. Life will get much better when you start to enjoy things on your own.

you are an edgy cocksucker from Reddit who is fishing for (You)s like you seek those upboats at your bookmark homepage.

Typical embryo thought, you'll rewatch it eventually and understand.

You know what's funny. I don't even know what any of those things you just mentioned are or mean. You seem to know a lot more about reddit than I do.

if you dont know what reddit is then you are probably just retarded

Fuck off back to facebook then cunty

I never said I don't know what reddit is, because of course I have heard of reddit, but I don't know what upboats or bookmark homepage means....
I don't like FB. All the news feed stuff is cherry picked.

Try japanese horror, they have some gems, like pic related The suicide club.

There's also Noroi, Tale of two sisters, shutter, black house, at the top of my head but there's plenty more.

The japanese and koreans do good horror films.

>Two Redditors arguing this hard to mask their true identities.jpg

fuck off autist

But I'm not a redditor I promise! I've been there a few times to get streams for baseball games and UFC, and honestly the whole format confuses me. The people giving streams are helpful though so I imagine if I figured out how to navigate reddit I might like it, because they seem like some nice people, but really I just need to go as far as doing a google search and clicking a link.

>suicide club
yes.

Fuck off weeb

fuck off kike

I'll bite.

Horror films saturate a market pretty well, but on the other hand, they tend to have a very high payoff on a small budget. Consequently, nobody spends a lot of money on them ... why bother? You'll get your money back, you just have to space them out.

The other half is that horror fans have low standards, creating a vicious cycle, because we never GET good horror movies to make us say "Wow, 95% of what I have seen is CRAP."

Hmm. Resolute? Into the Franklin Expedition? THAT would make a great movie.

The Thing is comfy as fuck. Only has a few jump scares.

Babadook is awful. Why do so many pretend it is good?

If your a Pedo

In The Mouth of Madness is a genuinely amazing movie but i don't really consider it horror. I watched it when i was 8 years old and i found it fascinating, not scary.

they attract shitty talent from only needing such a low budget

There could be a horror movie that would literally make the audience go mad and kill each other in the most violent and gruesome ways after watching it and there will still be one fag going 'not scary'.

>no jump scares, no corny stuff, no gore, no stupid looking monsters
Lake Mungo

horror is a frickin meme genre designed to get people laid

if you actually watch horror movies seriously you must be some sorta plebbe

fucking TILTED

They want to believe it's good because of the twist. It just didn't really make any sense. It's like a metaphor brought to life. I will say that it had amazing acting from the mom and son.

Eraserhead is a comedy

THANK YOU! Somebody had to say it, weebs really just need to fuck off. Nigger culture fucks with a certain portion of young white people and they become wiggers. Similarly, nippon culture destroys white youth and turns them into weebs.

>horror fans have low standards

Too true. After watching a good horror movie I won't say "what I good movie" I'll have to specify "good for a horror movie". Even a really good one like 30 Days of Night or that one about the dead girl and the killer were still only good for a horror movie.

>it really didn't make any sense
It makes just as much sense as fight club, my guy.

I've always said that being a horror fan is like being queer: the pickings are slim and nobody will let you babysit their kids once they find out what you're into.

nah it's a romance movie

But the twist is the worst part of it, everything before the last 10 minutes is amazing.

pontypool. check it out

reminder there are only a handful of actual horror fans on Sup Forums

Kek someone must make a ms.paint comic of this

>There's also Noroi
Eat shit

>alternate ending to Cigarette Burns

Because horror is a lesser genre, no one takes it seriously and only kids like it

Talented people make real films

>doesn't like jump scares
you seem like a cool guy who isn't a fag from reddit

>Because horror is a lesser genre
The only people who say that don't even watch horror movies to begin with.

Because we don't want to waste time in such crap

There are objective ways to measure art and both horror and comedy rank amongst the shittiest genres

FUCK THE BABADOOK....
FUCK THAT SHITTY MOVIE

The babacock should not be called horror.
It was a psychological thriller. It was like shutter island.
Fuck that boring piece of shit. There was nothing horror about it.

Just a crazy whore and her annoying shitty asshole kid

>rare

???

You mean non existant? I've never seen a film that was labeled as horror that actually chilled me or frightened me even a bit, and i'm not trying to be edgy. I'd like for a horror movie to grab me, but honestly the closest thing to horror i can think of would be either Requiem For A Dream or Lars Von Triers Antichrist or Golden Heart Trilogy

>Because we don't want to waste time in such crap
Maybe you wouldn't think it's crap if you gave some of the genre's more critically lauded films a chance? Kind of a doing a disservice to yourself as a cinephile by excluding an entire genre you know nothing about.

Watch "Vase de Noces", I ain't saying it's a good movie but it's quite frightening

I liked the little autist from the babadoook. Him screeching at his mom and his catapult was the best part of the movie.

Mate, I don't need to watch capeshit to tell it's bad

There are people who make a living by rating films, when 100% of them say something is bad, you can bet it's bad and there is no need to watch it by yourself, you'll just end up wasting a couple hours

All the tropes are played out. Half of the audience is guessing how its going to end, not get immersed in the story.

Now sure excessive gore and jump scares have taken their toll but like an user said earlier, thriller kino is behind us and the audience ruined it. We keep jabbing our fingers at every "it was all in his head, thats not much of a twist"

Horrors always been a real adaptive genre. In the early days it was based off normal fears. Ghosts and the dead and such. Eventually 80s slashers became the big thing and then shyamalan came and added twists to everything. So now, not only do we expect at least some basic horror element like zombies, we also want the gore from the 80s and the twists from the early 00s. But we dont want tropes and we dont want pseudo horror like jump scares and "found footage" shit (thanks "blair witch" viral campaign).

Honestly were just out of good ideas. The industry needs to indulge in abstract horror for a bit so we can have old fashioned kino horror handed back to us like its new again. Thats as good as gonna get mate

Because something that you know isn't real can't frighten you. Horror is a hopeless genre, it can't succeed.

If you want to make a "horror" film you should just go more into a drama direction, like "Don't Look Now"

The Wailing was the best horror movie in recent memory.

May

the ending fucked me up pham

Silence of the Lambs

It's because you're watching horror films, when what you clearly want is thrillers OP, you fucking enormous faggot.

>Hur name a good horror but with no horror elements, just people talking and spoopy music, mature tastes for mature people like myself

Usually horror movies aren't super great at pumping out an amazing story, that's not really what anyone is there for honestly.

What you're looking for is one with good atmosphere, something that establishes a mood and keeps on it throughout the entire movie through use of cinematography, music, and lighting. Sometimes acting, but good acting in horror is super rare.

Stuff that creates a mood for me would be like:

The Shining
Alien
The Blair Witch Project (If you can stomach the shakiness and don't fall asleep)
Eraserhead (It definitely has atmosphere you can't deny that)
The Exorcist
The Fly
The Thing

Some more recent movies that established an (at least) unsettling atmosphere IMO are

Banshee Chapter (Super low budget straight to dvd type thing that surprisingly worked for me)
Sinister (Just saw this and it was really effective in this, the music alone was pretty good.)
The Conjuring
The Witch
The Descent
The Others (Shouldn't have worked for me but it did)
The Orphanage

Now granted the story in some of these movies is absolute garbage if you think about it for more than four seconds, but that's not the point. You come to get a feeling, an eerie one that sticks around even after the film is done. Of course, it's all subjective, what worked for me might not for you.

But horror is so cheap to produce, and brings in allll the money. Ex) Ouija: Origin of Evil, Budget: $9 million, Box Office: $81.7 million

So it's wading through a sea of the jumpscare heavy garbage to find the actually good stuff. It's always been this way though, the good old stuff is good because that's the stuff people remember and talk about.

Don't Look Now

Repulsion

Assuming you wanted recs, but the no gore criterion is gonna limit things considerably.

The Wicker Man (1973)
Psycho (1960)
Noroi
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Bad Seed (1956)
The Living and the Dead (2006)
Diabolique (1955)

This.

Movies like The Thing please.

>Noroi
Back to r*ddit

I'm disgusted how long it took for The Wicker Man to come up.

Wicker Man and The Exorcist are just outright kino, nothing's really come close since.

no new threads?
no image posting?

>push ALL threads past bump limit
......(\_/)
......( '_')
..../""""""""""""\======░ ▒▓▓█D
/"""""""""""""""""""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_@_/

stop Sup Forums censorship

Last good thing Carpenter did.

Exorcist would have been #1 but the no gore thing...

Where can I find this?

Saw Cigarette Burns in Las Vegas during a movie marathon.

Couldn't find anything on google about an alternate ending to it.

I what are you talking about?

I don't know man the part where the boy gets molested/abducted and the bit where he dies freaked me out pretty bad.

Currently watching, Masters of Horror season1, almost done. Have some pretty good stuff. desu
my rating
>Incident on and Off a Mountain Road 7/10
>Dreams in the Witch-House 7/10
>Dance of the Dead 6/10
>Jenifer 4/10
>Chocolate 4/10
Homecoming was a mistake 0
>Deer Woman 6/10
>Cigarette Burns 8/10
>The Fair Haired Child 8/10
>Sick Girl 7/10
>Pick Me Up 6/10
Will continue my watch trough tonight

Because they spend all their time pandering to fucking genreplebs like you instead of doing the one important thing:

Making a good fucking movie regardless of its pigeonholed genre.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe start really good and mid movie/second half goes to shit real fast what a wasted potential.

is found footage dead yet?

I hate it so much

Have you seen [Rec] and The Borderlands? They're pretty good.

REC yes, border no.

i just cant stand the camera work and overall style of the movies, its tolerable in small doses but there is just so much of it in the horror genre.

You might like The Borderlands then, it's all fixed angles and headcams.

ill give it a look on the weekend, see how we go

These. There aren't really that many good "horror" horror movies, but the best are atmospheric thrillers. For example Mulholland Drive was one of the, I wouldn't say scariest, but one of the best movies where I was on the edge and confused and scared because it was so tense and confusing.

What I'd like to add to those lists are movies like
Mulholland Drive
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
It Follows
Black Swan
Pan's Labyrinth?

Some of them aren't horror or even scary per se, but just dark and tense and atmoshperic, which I hope OP is looking for.

bump

>Mulholland Drive
Yes, some scene are actually terrifying

>Jacob's Ladder
What a piece of shit boring movie

>It Follows
Pretty nice, I liked that one too

>Black Swan
You kiddin' me?

>Pan's Labyrinth
Are you 5?

Is she like a zombie or something?