Is this the greatest show of all time (outside of The Sopranos)?

Is this the greatest show of all time (outside of The Sopranos)?

I say yes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TBdJqDPuAh8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was Betty literally insane

Just immature.

Yes
Yes

Sopranos wasn't that great.

Mad Men is far superior imo. A television series that is on par with the great American novels of the 20th century

Just a woman

>boring soap opera set in da racist 50s
>entertaining
nah

yes

she was just self centered, in keeping with the theme of the show wherein many of the problems of the characters can be traced to their bad relationship with their mothers

lol heres a you so you dont feel like you wasted time picking all the palm trees

So if Don went into therapy on episode 1, would this show not even exist? He goes to one hippie retreat and he's all better?

There were like 5 episodes of Mad Men dealing with racism. The character with strong social justice leanings was shown to be a pretentious libshit most of the time. I wouldn't expect Sup Forums to actually watch Mad Men as it requires a certain amount of patience and reflective thought.

The reverse Sopranos.

Deadwood is also better.

Not having an ending eliminates it from contention, in my opinion.

>Not having an ending

So just like Mad Men.

she was literally just an average woman

It's still a soap opera that has all the pedestrian appeal and themes of soap operas, just with higher budget and bettter cast. It objectively can't be great.

No, nothing like Mad Men.

No. American TV is trash.

just like The Wire its an overrated show propped up solely by redditors virtue signaling their taste in tv shows because they know deep down they are plebs.

You use "soap opera" as a pejorative, but why is that? Wouldn't a higher budget, better cast, and better writers elevate the things that are wrong with the soap opera?

>virtue signaling their taste in tv shows
What does this mean?

The characteristic of soap operas is melodrama.

Mad Men is not melodramatic at all.

I like Mad Men but every other shot of Don is him looking sad as he pours a drink or smokes a cigarette and sighing heavily

How is it not melodramatic

OP is probably a faggot, but he's semi-right. A lot of people speak of The Wire like just watching it makes them seem cultured and more aware of social injustices than you.

In my experience, The Wire is the show with the most pretentious pretend-intellectual fanbase that actually has no idea about why the show is actually good, they just parrot the same social issues talking points like it makes them profound. I actually dated a girl once who legit pretended to have watched it.

This video is pretty accurate: youtube.com/watch?v=TBdJqDPuAh8

I don't think you understand what melodrama is.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

What is it then asshole

Not OP, but it's literally exaggerated drama. Cliche, cheesy stories with one-dimensional characters and swirling dramatic music. Mad Men is one of the most grounded dramas ever. Mad Men was heavy on drama, NOT melodrama.

just watch downton abbey

they both have roughly the same budget, the same prestige-tv aesthetics (although mad men actually has good photography). Mad Men has drama, that shlock has melodrama. If the difference doesnt appear evident, congrats you are 15y old

You're definitely right on fans of the show being pretentious. The show does all the things fans say, but they act like they're superior for having watched it, while ignoring other shows like Mad Men or the Sopranos, which speak to human emotions as the Wire does for social/community issues.

>Cliche, cheesy stories with one-dimensional characters and swirling dramatic music.
That's definitely Mad Men

Then why is every other scene in Mad Men Don moping around, looking weary, sighing, drinking, smoking, and generally being jaded and sad

Don't get me wrong. I like Mad Men because I can relate to Don in some ways

Because that's MANLY. Coping with your problems by drinking and being rude is MANLY and you fucking liberals will never get it.

;)

>self-pity is manly
this is what nu-males actually believe

>Don looking down when he is sad and speaking with that stupid "broken" voice

That was the worse part. It should had more "dass raciss" or culture shock scenes, after all it was the 60s. That's why season 1 and 2 are the best.

ITT: soap operas for men

I realize you are exaggerating, but the fact of the matter is that Don doesn't talk much. Aside from his brief attempt at maintaining a journal, we don't exactly know what is going on in his head. The absence of conventional exposition leaves a void, and we are left on the outside of his psyche, just like everyone else in his life. The only thing we have to read into his inner world is watching him, seeing how he reacts to things, how he copes with anxiety, how his posture or face contorts at the hands of new stimuli. That's all we have into attempting to comprehend the workings of the main character. And in spite of that—and your exaggeration—it's still done with subtlety and [often] with enough space for people to interpret things differently.

IMO.

The real question is (and the main reason why Mad Men fails as anything but a glorified soap opera) why should anyone care what happens to some nobody like Don?

stfu tomoko u degenerate whore

In that case, why should you care about what happens to anyone fictional for that matter?

>I can't relate!
there you go, the most pleb argument against anything ever
go watch your relatable drivel and stay away from good writing

No, that's the exact opposite of what I was saying you pleb. Not being able to relate to something can potentially make something more interesting and worth watching. Don on the other hand is a boring nobody.

Think it might be way past your bed time kiddo.

Let the grown-ups talk.

No, The Young Pope is

The Young Pope would have been great if made by a non-meme director.

TYP isn't finished yet, we don't know whether season 2 will be shit or not.

it wouldn't exist without the non-meme director

fair enough

the finale destroyed this entire show for me. it was so fucking awful.

What was so awful about it?

I bet she secretly molested her kids and Don had no idea.

Why?
Literally nothing happens

I'd do anything to be Bobby if it meant I got to fuck Betty

I honestly just think shows like the sopranos and the wire are good Becuase you see so many sides of a long story working at once. The characters all felt human and not good vs evil. Also sopranos was gritty and made you uncomfortable which I liked. Watching mad men the characters seemed so much more forced.

I'd do anything to be Betty if it meant I got to fuck Bobby

it looked like your face :^/