A genuine question to Americans

A genuine question to Americans
Do you think that games that go into penalty shootouts are 10 times as entertaining?
The scoreline is high and the game doesn't end in a draw, isn't that all Americans need?

I think it's more the case that Americans don't understand the concept of a league with promotion/relegation. They can't fathom a draw because it wouldn't work in their system, but does in ours.

I'd say short answer is yes. I don't like that you can "lose" or get kicked out by a tie like Italy did yesterday. They should have an opportunity to win instead of the swedes just being able to sit back and play D all game

penalty shootouts are dumb in every sport that allows them. if a game ends in a draw both teams should receive a loss.

They aren't - if a game ends 0 - 0 then goes to pks it's still boring overall imo.
If it were 2 - 2 then went to pks then there's more give-and-take during the match and excitement at the end, good game.
I don't care what some European on Sup Forums says, games that end 0 - 0 are boring all else equal, including ice hockey (my favorite sport).
I just don't like soccer; in my view the large field prevents anything exciting from happening most of the time.
>no american sports league has relegation/promotion
>WOW WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IT
ok

This. All their sports are played on a Win-Loss system. Ours is based on a 3-1-0 point system with cheeky rules like away goals and stuff.

Only 2 games have ties: football and chess.
I let you ponder that.

>>WOW WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IT

I literally never said that. I just said that Americans can't fathom a league system that is vastly different to what already exists.

Our sports are about winning and losing because theyre a replacement for war, Americans will never be happy with a draw because were a society that prizes winning over everything

They are tense as shit but no sport should ever have a mini-game as a tiebreaker.

Can’t have a draw when you surrender eh?

If anything you need a bigger field so teams can’t defend narrow

Do Americans think that we don't have winners and losers in football?

We just think that an entire season of playing all teams twice makes for a better judge of who is the best/worst teams

Nah got to have the most inform team win not the most consistent

Soccer is an everyone gets a trophy no one is bad kids sport here. that's literally how its regarded in the average American mind. Itll be hard to change that perception.

Then why do the losers get the best 'rewards' via the draft?

>we're a society that prizes winning over everything
>16th place trophy

>Soccer is an everyone gets a trophy

It really isn't. There's one trophy for the league, one for the cup and one for the Champions League. The rest are irrelevant

NBA has a lottery, NFL has that system to make competition fairer and to avoid situations where one team dominates for years ala Warriors and Cavaliers

handegg can end in draws, actually

and yet the Browns are stuck being perpetually shit

I'd say what contribute the most to parity in NFL is the hard salary cap, while the soft cap, the shitload of exceptions, and most owner not giving a fuck about luxury tax in NBA allow the creation of superstacked teams (though stacked team are nothing new in NBA).

He means at youth level in the US.

I don't mean to be a faggot and discuss semantics, but when someone uses the word "fathom" in regards to thinking about something, it has a negative connotation in most people's eyes, and the target audience feels like they're being called an idiot. That user probably just felt insulted and then reacted the way he did.

>0-0 hockey games are boring

Soccer games are boring because of how easy it is to score when youre within range. The net is huge. A 0-0 soccer game is a defencive stalement with teams turtling, like they usually do.

A 0-0 hockey game could easily be a goalie duel with 30-40 shots.

Ice hockey is a 2-1-0 point system. You literally just outed yourself as not knowing a damn thing.

But the game is still a draw, pks just determine who advances.
A game going to pks could be very interesting or could be dull as fuck, the result doesn't inherently indicate how interesting it was.

I actually like this idea of both teams taking a loss for a draw