Should I join the British Army?

Should I join the British Army?

I had some fucked up teenage years, including an eating disorder that almost killed me and a history of depression. I need a kick up the ass and I feel like the military would be useful for that. I don't have many qualifications, just GCSE's and it's pretty rough trying to go to school and work full time on top of staying fit and other commitments. I was also up most of the night thinking how I could do with a complete refresh, a new place and the Army would give me some more discipline. I don't know if they would take me considering my history, I want to serve though

Here's 40 shillings on the drum for those who volunteer to come, to list and fight the for today over the hills and far away

O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal, and Spain
King George commands and we obey
Over the hills and far away

Yes, and if you decide to do A levels (two at least) before joining, even better. That way you can go in as an Officer with the choice of testing out for some very saucy role (like fast jet pilot).

You must have been 3 years off medication for depression, and stable, to join as an officer. This has to be verified by your doctor, so don't just stop meds if you are currently taking them.

>Should I join the British Army?.
No, If you have mental issues I would not suggest joining the infantry. Not trying to be negative just honest. Why not join the navy????

Military isnt for people with mental issues

The enviroment is so depressing that you would only get worse

Why is the navy ok if you have mental issues?

Those are not very good reasons for joining. Those after a fresh start, getting off drugs or because they think it will change them for the better are likely to wash out in my experience.

You need to want to be a soldier from the get go.

I did the standard 2 years of military service in cyprus. Yes at the beginning you are right. But afterwards i made some very good friends had a lot of fun and learned self-discipline.

Zhtw i patrida

I did.

I don't think its fair to say you have mental issues, how old are you? Most people in the army seem like they are dysfunctional in some sense and its great for the most part.

It can be quite a nurturing environment. Which corps / branch were you thinking of joining?

Did you look at jobs with the job finder?

>I wonder if there's knife bins in boot camp and Muslim drill sergeants now.

They are so desperate nowadays that they allow Commonwealth citizens to sign up.

At least he's not going to see front line action

eldyk?then you know that a person with depression or mental issues can totally snap in there

Military service takes its toll in a persons mental health

Wait until after the American election. If Hillary wins the world is over.

Anyone here have experience with the reserves? Thinking of joining up.

Only if you like the idea of being sent to your death by posh homosexuals in a meaningless conflict. They will still hate you and exploit you if you survive also.

Thanks guys

Yeah I'm 24, my doc prescribed my anti-depressants a couple of months ago but I never took any. I considered taking them but said fuck it, and seem to be doing alright fixing it by myself with a better outlook on life and exercising every day which helps a lot. I'm not sure, thought of a dog handler because I've had a great relationship with dogs all my life.

Fuck knows, just typing this out I know they won't take me because I was talking to the doctor and said some shit about life feeling a bit pointless and she took that as me being suicidal which is something I would not do

Greek Cypriot. Poor so no connections for a good post. They convinced me i had a mental illness but its all in the head and the army is a good place for you to snap and just bite your lip and get through it. It builds character. I will say it again every day i hate being there but then when i got out i realised how good it was for me. i learned to deal with shit and some nights i had a lot of fun with the people there. Have you done any service?

How hard is it to get into Sandhurst? I have a few people from my uni course that said they were becoming officers and I might go the same route since the pay is actually pretty good compared to graduate jobs.

If your doc prescribed you something then you might be shit out of luck because part of the application process involves you filling out a medical form and if you have something like that they will not allow you to proceed with your application especially as it was so recently (I have seen people successfully contest older mental history items on their record and join up).

If you lie they request your full medical history from your doctor as part of the application process but they have made bigger oversights than that with some people so you might try your luck but you will have wasted much time by this point as the application process is rather long

Dog handler is a good job but definitely one of the more competitive ones

pretty hard you do a "briefing" course which consists of 2 days to determine if they want you back for the real selection board, definitely worth a go if you're strapped for ideas though

OP the army is good. One guy in my skydiving group is in the army and they are paying for his education ( top engineering college in london ) and his skydiving lessons which is more or less around 1k to get the A licence.

Also skydiving kills ur anxiety. Once you fall from thousands of feet your brain shut downs and let me tell you this boosts your self confidence and you stop worrying about random shit

yes ofc my standard 9 months in Greece

I know that eldyk is a lot worse in terms of pressure but the general bureaucracy,insomnia and paranoia in the army could totally create or bring out mental issues

you may learn to deal with the pressure as time goes by but in the end your central nerve system has surely been impaired from this procedure

> joining the british army
Ahahah no

Jointe the Legion, do your 5 years then join an officer school, get your equivalence ( it's easier internaly) and then all mercenary groups in the world will kill to have you, showering you with 150k+ jobs

True, lol one time i got 1 week prison time because i slept on skopia with my eyes open. talk about adaptation. Still though i got into fitness big ++++