So Dennis Villeneuve is basically Chris Nolan for adults?

So Dennis Villeneuve is basically Chris Nolan for adults?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show,_don't_tell
youtu.be/-cEBguJj3dg
youtube.com/watch?v=Tk3WSsRoHgQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why do we hate Nolan again

He thinks he's one of the smartest classy filmmakers but he's really one of the dumbest.

how's he dumb tho

his movies are pretty compelling

See: The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, The Dark Knight, Following, Memento, and Interstellar

everything on that list but TDKR are good tho

except following, i haven't seen that

OP here I don't hate nolan, but his movies seemed way more impressive when I was a teen. He's sloppy and sensationalist. Villeneuve's films have simialr imagery and themes but are precise and subtle

Because he's popular.

Inception, TDK and Memento are all good movies.

>his movies are pretty compelling
No they're not, it's literally "things happening."
He's a sloppy fucking filmmaker too, known for never doing a second take if he can help it, and it shows.
A good example is Dark knight rises, and not even the plane scene, there is a scene where they get together and come up with a plan and everyone leaves to go do exactly what they said, and in the very next fucking scene those same characters are asking where the people they just talked to, and just explained in detail where they would be, are.
Hes made some good movies in the past, but he's gotten fucking LAZY.
And his douchebag fanbase just helps to cement his hack status.

fuck you, memento is great

I do agree that his technical skill fails to entirely mask his weird detach from humanity

His movies look good and are loaded with symbolism, but his dialogue sucks and for all the good actors he hires, they sure do give of mediocre performances when they're in his movies.

this was a revenge wank fantasy, more women died in nolan's batman than in this trash.

>the dark knight is a good movie

*tips fedora in anarchistic manner&

But I said they're dumb tho...
I'm confused.

He breaks the cardinal rule of filmmaking with every one of his movies - "show, don't tell". His films are nauseating in their exposition. He's not intelligent to enough to communicate his ideas in a visual format; he needs Michael Cane to jump in every 10 minutes to let you know where the movie is going. As well as being a horrible visual storyteller, Nolan is also arrogant. He'll often do very few takes form scene to scene which can lead to very stilted acting and nonsensical storytelling - with a very infamous example. Nolan thinks he can save everything in editing. He's wrong. His approach to humanity, motives and emotion is also severely lacking. Everyone of his protagonists has a dead wife. That's how limited and narrow minded Nolan is in his understanding and concepts of character motivations.

that makes it real, dumbass. you think people didn't slip and slide when they tried to take over egypt or syria??

his movies are almost always bloated

>So Dennis Villeneuve is basically Chris Nolan for patricians?
ftfy

cause he can't direct a film to save his life, is a pretentious fuck in interviews, and has an army of enlightened fedoras preaching that he's the second coming of kubrick
pic very much related

le 1 word film title man

I like his stuff. Usually it looks pretty enough and the stories are interesting enough but most of the characters come off as distant and cold and a little inhuman. Humor and dialogue are his biggest weaknesses in my opinion.

i don't know I just do because everyone else here does and because reddit likes him

/threaded to infinity

>"show, don't tell"
that's a rule of literature, dumb fuck

>real dumbass
You said it.

just copied this into r/film

tips meme hat

(you)

>>"show, don't tell"
>that's a rule of literature
>a medium wherein it's impossible to show anything outside without telling since it's all words on a page and not a visual medium

>visual medium
>relying on exposition
You're a special kind of retarded.

>show
>dont tell
>In literature
>a format composed entirely of words with no visuals

are you serious? it was hemingway who fucking invented it.

fucking knew Sup Forums was full of illiterates

another example:

So Chris Nolan is considered bad because he's palpable to general audiences?

nice post

>what is iceberg theory

illiterates out

If you didn't read anything in the thread then sure.

>user B is obviously referring to user A's retarded idea that you can somehow "show" and not "tell" in LITERATURE, as in BOOKS, and how its literally impossible because its not a visual medium, and literature inherently relies on exposition due to its format
>user C/user A somehow conflates "literature relying on exposition because its not visual" to "visual mediums require exposition to work
You're a special kind of retarded

both prisoners and arrival have decent cinematography and characters and then half way through the plot becomes ridiculous

jesus christ. please be joking.

>implying even 10% of writers can effectively pull of iceberg theory
>implying it isnt just an excuse to be a fucking lazy shit

most of his stories are well made melodrama reminding me a bit of Disconnect by Henry Alex Rubin

No, because Villeneuve can direct Action, Nolan don't.

Nolan always commits the same sin, he leaves no room for nuance, ambiguity or discussion, his movies are the equivalent of making a Gordian Knot, showing how to undo it and then cutting it because he thinks he's THAT smart, when in reality his flicks are filled with exposition at every corner, he does nothing new with anything and explains everything in the most condescending way possible as he solves the plot.

I did. The only criticism I agreed with is that he breaks the cardinal rule of movies with show don't tell. The rest is "He sucks because I think he sucks".

Go to bed Chris.

One shan't be communicating with illiterates henceforth.

>medium is literally nothing but words
>showing requires explicit visuals
>the medium of literature literally cannot contain a "show, dont tell" style because you need to exposit what is happening in order for the reader to interpret the events depicted, no matter how simple or complex a sentence
>implying iceberg theory is somehow visual
>there exists people this stupid on Planet Earth

>too much exposition
>people on Sup Forums still don't get Interstellar

Really makes you think

>illiterates
>literally autistically screeching about visuals being possible in an exclusively word contented format
>complaining about people being unable to read
>visuals
>reading words
>visuals
>reading words
>faggot is self destructing in a fit of pure autistic rage and he doesnt even realize he's playing himself in the process

>can't do 'show don't tell' in a written passage
>can only do it in film
>conveniently 'forgot' that every film is essentially a screenplay

dunce

So you didn't read the thread. Plenty of complaints about his sloppy film making, him not being an actor's director, hamfisted emotional manipulation, shallow characters, over reliance on action set pieces to distract audiences from plot convenience layered on plot convenience.
But if you actually read the thread you'd know that you IMDB refugee.

>Chris
who

I also responded to your post with this:

lurk moar newfriend

>theres no difference between written script and filmed movies

>>conveniently 'forgot' that every film is essentially a screenplay
Yeah, my friends are such idiots waiting for the blurays to come out. I'm like "dude, the screenplay's been out for ages you pleb" since they're literally the EXACT FUCKING SAME THING
for that matter, why do we even bother filming them? rowling had the right idea with the cursed child

you're really good at finding stupid shit to complain about that doesn't really add up to being flaws

Films aren't screenplays user. They're films. Thats why we have two different words for them: film and screenplay.

I love how people are starting to latch onto Denis just to shit talk Nolan and his fanbase. I guarantee that in 10 years once Blade Runner 2049 and Dune masterpieces are done he's going to be jerked relentlessly here and on reddit. Not talking to you OP, but it's been happening a bunch because of herd mentality.

Do you genuinely have autism? Like, honest question, not even memeing here.

You're the idiots who think 'show don't tell' isn't a technique of the written word. Educate yourselves.

1/10
made me reply

>A script expositing a scene is showing despite requiring a camera and actors in order to show the scene

How old are you?

If Denis starts churning out shit, I'll rightfully criticise him. Until then, he's a legit great director in the mainstream - a rarity

I already responded to your reply with:

>Sup Forums turns out to be ignorant about both movies and literature

>written word describing something that happens is showing now
>this fucking idiot probably thinks Alfred's tangerine speech from the dark knight was showing too
End us

You don't know what the term means, just google it you fuck.

It's not a technique of the written word, are you fucking retarded?

Only the arses posting reaction faces to mask embarrassing themselves.

dont samefag

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show,_don't_tell

Literally the fact that its "the written word" invalidates it as something shown and/or visual you complete fucking moron.

>The technique applies equally to nonfiction and all forms of fiction, literature including Haiku[1] and Imagism poetry in particular, speech, movie making, and playwriting.[2][3][4][5]
Literally embarrassed for you.

>he's linking wikipedia now

>term coined by a playwright
>HURR DURR GUYS IT APPLIES TO AAAAAALLLLLL LITERATURE
kys retard

>His movies look good and are loaded with symbolism, but his dialogue sucks and for all the good actors he hires, they sure do give of mediocre performances when they're in his movies.

>The Iceberg Theory (sometimes known as the "theory of omission") is a style of writing
Embarrassing.
Give it up.

>Show, don't tell is a technique often employed in various kinds of texts to enable the reader to experience the story through action, words, thoughts, senses, and feelings rather than through the author's exposition, summarization, and description.

Literally referring to actions, not words, you fucking moron. Authors can refer to the writers of scripts and screenplays which are turned into a visual medium, holy shit.

>developed from his background as a newspaper reporter.

Memento is still better than anything he has made

The term was created by a person who made plays you fucking idiot.
That just means they used their writing experience to direct the play holy shit how are you this violently autistic?

And? He still coined it for writing plays you imbecile, also journalistic writing is NOT literary.

>referring to actions
what verbs?

You are a complete stubborn spastic if you think this doesn't apply to books

>but Sup Forums told me films were the greatest art form!!! they speshal just like muh vidya

youtu.be/-cEBguJj3dg

Is this Youtubekino?

>newspaper reporter
>showing but not telling

he must have been terrible at his job

>look at this picture and guess what happened, I am not going to tell it

I didn't say it doesn't apply to films.
and short stories
he coined it for all writing

>gets BTFO repeatedly
>realises he's been BTFO
>realises his own wikipedia link contradicts him
>"b-but I'm smart!"

Im not speaking from the perspective of a fanboy on an imageboard, im speaking from the perspective of a comic book artist.

>he doesn't know how to tell a story without stating everything explicitly
>he doesn't know that good writers CAN do this

sad

Nah, I think you're just a retard. The number one rule of filmmaking is being able to tell a story visually. Nolan is shit at it. When a director can do visual communication well it shows that there's attention and detail to developing a story in an interesting way. Nolan cops out and uses exposition over and over again like his characters are giving the audience a lecture. It becomes even more apparent when he has Michael Caine do it in each film.

Great visual storytelling is one of the most satisfying elements of the medium:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tk3WSsRoHgQ

Watch from 6 minutes onwards. Without saying a word, the scene with the lighter and the shaky hands informs us of something extremely important to the film: Michael is not normal. That's what filmmaking is supposed to be.

His job is to report the news dumbfuck. I dont want ambiguity and storytelling in my NEWS, thats how you get shit like the current media.

>[CITATION NEEDED]
Chekhov only wrote about writing FICTION, not ALL sorts of writing, and even then he wrote about THEATRE you moron.

>be a reporter
>your job is to report stuff that happened
>I am going to report without stating things in a clear way but letting people guess

yeah, nah

These people you're replying to are baiters or literal retards so you can safely stop replying.

But why Villeneuve and not PTA?

You're ignorant.
It's not anything to do with being cryptic. It's about making it compelling to the reader. And it applies to all texts.

>If I reply to someone I agree with myself circlejerking I win!
Why do newfags do this?