I downloaded the Dollars Trilogy last month. Got through the first two but put off GBU until tonight...

I downloaded the Dollars Trilogy last month. Got through the first two but put off GBU until tonight. I'm actually kinda shocked because I preferred FAFDM out of the three despite always hearing that GBU was the pinnacle of the genre.

I can kinda understand it as GBU feels like this sprawling epic of a western. But the more concisely delivered movie of FAFDM resonated more with me. I appreciate the character development of GBU and that it tried to have more of a message at times but I also thought it was a little self-indulgent at times. Actively trying to be this huge narrative rather than a movie.

Tell me how wrong I am and talk about other westerns you like.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DJl6CWPCywI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw IMDb is already here

Most plebs prefer FAFDM for some reason. Maybe you need a rewatch.

>watching a literal shit film series

Just watch Josie Wales you dumb cunt

This is just lazy Sup Forums

Westerns suck

FAFDM is awesome too, I think it gets overlooked often

>Just watch Josie Wales
that was crap compared to the Leone trilogy

Why do you like GBU better. Participate.

Josie Wales is pure kino. Delete your post

FAFDM had
>Better characters
>Better plot
>Depth/Emotion
>Better final duel
>More focused narrative
>Actual message
>Weight to kills and interactions
>Better music

GBU is a really long "fun" film. There was nothing lying underneath though. It was just three greedy cunts going through western setpieces.

Clint is barely the main character in FAFDM because the Man in Black's mystery is so compelling and when you get the reprise of the locket song in the final duel it's the most powerful moment in the entire trilogy. Compared to the Mexican Standoff in GBU which, while again a neat setpiece, holds no real weight or emotion. We've had very little time to care or know the Bad (Especially compared to El Indio who we have more of a built up disgust towards) and there's very little weight in Tuco and Blondie's relationship either generally feeling more like a Looney Tunes back and forth. The idea of the standoff is cool but the standoff itself doesn't feel earned.

I started catching some Rawhide episodes recently. Pretty comfy.

What I truly loved about TGTBATU was how the whole movie went on during the Civil War, and although the Civil War was a major obstacle that convoluted the main characters' plans, it was merely just an obstacle for their own personal mission which was fining the gold.

Plots like this have always fascinated me; when there is a MAJOR historical occurrence that a lot of people around the main characters are focusing on (WW2 in "Kelly's Heroes", WW2 in Saving Private Ryan) but the main characters are simply dodging the conflicts that arise from those major historical occurrences in order to address their own goal (finding the gold and finding Private Ryan, respectively.)
Am I making sense? It's early in the morning, I'm tired, and I fear I'm coming as a rambling fool, desu.

It makes sense. I can agree on enjoying it too. There's something endearing about the little guy's story going unnoticed by anyone but you, the viewer, in the grand scheme of a huge historical event.

Once Upon a Time in the West is superior to the Dollars-trilogy.

yeah starwars and hidden kingdom are the same

Did anybody ask you faggots

Once Upon A Time In The West is basically Leone's deconstruction of his Dollars Trilogy.

The OP did.
>Tell me how wrong I am and talk about other westerns you like.

yeah, like Schindler's List

I'm not gonna be a contrarian faggot and argue that FAFDM isn't the best, because it resonated more with me too. But don't let people trick you into thinking OUATITW is the better overlooked Leone. Duck You Sucker is amazing and deserves more praise.

The scene where he opens up his jacket to reveal the dynamite and the vial of nitroglycerin after his scooter's tires were shot out was pretty goddamn good.

If you like Eastwood, I recommend High Plains Drifter, it's a bit of a departure from the norms of the Western genre.

>High Plains Drifter
She was asking for it.

This has been high on my list for a while simply because of the name.

FFOD was better

It is? I think FAFDM is my favourite, too.
Also, in Italy I THINK is the most popular.

fuck a western
watch "Play Misty For Me"

patrician DYSfag here (not ironic, is criminally underrated).

TGTBATU is a marvelous film but it's also my least favorite of Leone. It's his transition film. Not as tight as first two dollars, not as epic as what comes after, feels too lightweight to be a real epic. After that, his films are filled with melancholy and deal with more serious historical themes, his characters are more developed, the tone reflects that he was getting older, his filmmaking becomes more sophisticated. Meanwhile, the first two dollars films are just incredibly tight and perfect small westerns, under two hours.

Also regarding the pinnacle of the film, the "triel". On a purely formalist aspect, it's better than the duel from FAFDM, But, you care less. Because its stakes are about a treasure hunt the characters themselves don't really care about, it's just a pretext for the adventure. It's vaguely about greed, but Tuco is too comical to make you take it seriously. Meanwhile, FAFDM is about this personal quest for revenge, with the music having a personal meaning, and the flashbacks make you understand the character's loss and pain. The triel is just Leone trying to out-do the duel, but he also loses the surprise, because it's something you've seen before whereas it was uniquely fresh in FAFDM.

It's a good movie with a good score, but nowhere near the greatness of the Eastwood trilogy or OUTITW. James Coburn is mostly okay, but Rod Steiger is terrible, he's like a budget Tuco. The script is a bit of a mess too. Has some good scenes esp the flashbacks. The real star of the movie is the soundtrack though, one of Morricone's best themes. Worth seeing for Leone or spaghetti western fans only I think.

>tfw you die in every movie

>tfw hit by a barrel
>tfw shot dead
>tfw beaten to death by a manlet with a rock

>tfw body get's mangled beyond recognition

youtube.com/watch?v=DJl6CWPCywI

It's Leone's most patrician film with America, and much better than Dollars or West. Just not as accessible.

was he Sean Bean ante litteram?

I feel the same. I liked the 2nd one best and the 3rd one least. It was a enjoyable movie, but I felt it was too long.

wtf is this, a western for ants?

there were a lot of old scruffy scared looking geezers in those movies lol

I tried to watch one of those movies but I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying.
Maybe a should try and watch them again with subtitles on.

Maybe you should clean the cum out of your ears

TGTBTU is actually about the relationship between the good and the ugly. They are old friends and something something the ugly actually likes the good a lot. Ehh I can't remember the whole comment.

I mean that's not really a hidden message user. They tell you as much on screen throughout the whole movie.

post Leone kinotography

why do people like these movies? how can some dumb wop on the other side of the world even begin to understand what the west was like