[Arrival] SPOILERS - Questions on the movie 'Arrival'

I just saw the move and had two questions:
We see a brief clip of Luise 'in the future' teaching the heptapod language to a class full of students. Is she giving them 'the gift'?
I'm trying to think back as to why they arrived in the first place. They mentioned how they'll need her help in 3,000 years? Did they ever explain what they meant with that?

Other urls found in this thread:

freemovies247.co/arrival/
youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4
rainymood.com/watch?v=YrwRd_27fhw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i haven't seen this film before
where u watch this movie?

yes, the gift will help humanity in all sorts of ways
they never explain what they meant with that 3000 years shit, but they give you hints during the whole movie

I watched on this website
freemovies247.co/arrival/

>adding spoilers to your subject

Hello IMDB rapefugee

You are over thinking it.

Did this play before the movie?
youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4

Thanks

>The heptapods are big and black
>They give humanity "the gift"

What did the director mean with this

I don't think it's an exchange, like a payment. Instead, the only way the humans will continue to be around is if we both have the gift of foresight, and we can unite as a species. The pods gave us both for mutual benefit

No, they don't explain what happens to them in 3000 years, and it's quite unclear whether every human on the planet will get the "gift", which i doubt. but maybe SOME humans will rewire their thinking and start becoming all knowing.
The reason for the gift is like a trade, they help humanity now, then humanity will help them in 3000 years. It doesn't really matter, since humanity will succeed in helping them, otherwise the heptapods will know.

What they need help with isn't the point of the movie, it doesn't matter either. Whatever the fuck they need help with, they'll get it.

They needed someone to fuck their wives.

Sorry for necro but the 'gift' being language sounds like such shite to me.
Language is interpretation, why would learning a specific one suddenly click your head out of time? There must've been something in the alien kool-aid, or a sci-fi supernatural element that leads to this click. I mean, I guess it's not meant to be realistic, but for language itself to twist your world seems absurd.

Language is interpretation, namely the interpretation of reality. With the ayy language you start interpreting reality in a way no human language makes you do, and also time is not linear. The connection between the effect of the language and time are specific to this movie, of course. Whenever a work of fiction is talking about time you have to submit yourself to its view in order to make sense of it.
Language (at least, human languages) really does twist your world entirely though, since it's entirely inadequate to describe reality, just appearances.

Arrival is a smart movie for dumb people.

It was average and will be forgotten in a year.

They need help to destroy another race of aliens.

I was about to start a thread on this movie and more specifically how fucking stupid it is.

Why does anybody think it's so smart?

it's all just space magic bro, don't try to think of this as scifi because desu it's based on an outdated linguistic theory rejected by it's inventors

It's based on stupidity and plot holes not any kind of theory.

>nobody thought of using visual aids until some woman who's so talented she has 5 people in her class though of it.
>the worlds most talented alien talky person is some women with extremely limited talents
>How do we handle the fact she knows who she's gonna marry in the opening minutes of the movie? Fuck it lets ignore it till the end
>implying a human could even learn to read that shit
>Implying any nation on earth would be retarded enough to consider military action
>lets take a fucking BIRD that will help

The list goes on and on. fuck this movie is retarded.

contact was twice as good

discuss

>How do we handle the fact she knows who she's gonna marry in the opening minutes of the movie? Fuck it lets ignore it till the end

Jesus Christ

I agree and that just goes to show how terrible this movie is. And interstellar? it's a fucking masterpiece by comparison.

Although now that you mention it I didn't have a huge problem with contact beyond that preacher dickhead.

But Contact was shit.

Sup Forums said the same thing about Interstellar and here we are three years later still with daily Interstellar threads.

This was the 'muh feelings muh somber mood muh faux intellectualism' millennial nu-male's version of Contact

Prove me wrong

yes it's based on a fucking theory, a really far-fetched and stupid one

Interstellar is objectively a million times smarter than arrival though.

Arrival was written by retards for retards.

An alien species that's so fucking intelligent they can travel here and see events 3000 years into the future can't figure out human language?

They need OUR help but they can't figure out any human languages?

Human explorers have been able to figure out other languages from scratch for thousands of years but these stupid fucking aliens can't do it?

Realistically they'd know english, chinese and russian before they even got here.

They aren't even comparable.

While Contact is specifically about the first contact, the ayylmao's and the science are just the setting in Arrival where the actual story takes place in, the story of Amy Adams character relationship with her daughter and life/death in general.
It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.

The opening and the ending sequences are about that
All the major scenes are intercut with that.
And even when it's in the present narrative it's eithet a heavy close up of Amy Adams for half the movie or a camera placement of her characters point of view.

The ayylmaos and the "science" are only the setting where the actual story takes place in.

Also if we just look at the execution of basic filmmaking elements, Arrival has far better editing, sound design, framing and composition and production design.

Otherwise spot-on, but the bird is just an old method of telling if the air is breathable.

Basing your opinion on the quality of the film by which is "smarter" is ridiculous and laughable.
And if you didn't notice, it's about us humans learning their language, not the other way around as it seems at the start.

also nice reddit spacing friendo

REEEEE
delet this

I brought up contact. I deserve the Yous

Arrival was boring and people are defending this by saying it's because the movie was too smart. It wasn't.

The film had me interested in the first half. Second half was a clusterfuck.

>FEEL THE EMOTION! FEEL IT! DOES THE GREY FILTER MAKE YOU FEEL THE EMOTION? DUDE CIRCLES LMAO

The whole time travel shit undermines the xenolingustics part - how does learning work when the one you're trying to teach something already remembers all of your future lessons before you even start?

this.

humanities major bait.

Interstellar for stupid people.

Yes, the caged bird was brought onto the ship in order to make sure the air wasn’t poisonous.

This act originally came from the coal mining industry where a canary would be taken down into the mines along with the workers.
Since canaries are vastly smaller than humans and almost consistently emit a chirping sound, as soon as the canary died then the workers would know that the air was poisonous and would quickly evacuate before it would reach levels that would be toxic for humans.

Also it's a safe device if all technology stops working.

In fact it’s only because of the canary that Amy Adams’ character decides to take her helmet off. We see her specifically look at the bird before she removes it.

ye.
rainymood.com/watch?v=YrwRd_27fhw

i literally went to get a drink and came back and they understood each others languages

what happened

>Arrival has far better editing, sound design, framing and composition and production design.

Does it really matter if the film is dumb as shit? Contact at least understood that in the interaction between an extremely advanced race and a relatively primitive one it's logical for the advanced race to give the other one some fucking help and at least learn how to communicate with THEM instead of forcing the primitives to do all the work.

I don't even have a reddit account detective dipshit.

It's handled in the dumbest way possible. Do I need to remind you of the scene with the chinese dude? What in the fuck was that? Why does the message need to be in chinese when he's fluent in english?

A bird is an extremely unreliable method of detecting atmospheric hazards.

You have not said one actual buzzword-free argument in that post.

>Language is interpretation, why would learning a specific one suddenly click your head out of time?
A man born in a 2d world cannot even fathom the third dimension. Humans can't fathom the fourth dimension either, but what if we could somehow find a way to make a person understand another dimension? The 2d man would then be able to move along the Z-axis as well, so to speak.

I suppose it's theoretically possible, in the same way that god etc. is. It's a pretty good premise for a movie at least.

The "alien language can change ur brain" argument doesn't really hold up when every government on earth has been experimenting on people with drugs for like 100 years.

They've warped the human mind in every which way. A language that reads in two directions changing peoples perception of time is retarded.

There is no point in arguing with someone who thinks Arrival is groundbreaking, intelligent and riveting.

It really is just another average 2010s movie that tries to be intellectual and dumb people believe it is.

>A man born in a 2d world cannot even fathom the third dimension. Humans can't fathom the fourth dimension either, but what if we could somehow find a way to make a person understand another dimension? The 2d man would then be able to move along the Z-axis as well, so to speak.
the 4th dimension is not a physical dimension you fucking nimrod.

>instead of forcing the primitives to do all the work.
Big part of Arrival is us humans working together so we can all get "the gift" and help them in 3000 years.
If it was just one ship that came in, do you think that country would let out any information which happens in there at all? Do you think they would let Amy Adams character write a single line about it anywhere publicly?

>Why does the message need to be in chinese when he's fluent in english?
It's his wife's dying words and she is a linguist fluid in Mandarin, why would he translate it to english? And it's the Chinese, it would be a disgrace for them to translate everything to english

>A bird is an extremely unreliable method of detecting atmospheric hazards.
Please provide a reliable scientific link for that information. And ofcourse they had technological devices too, bird is a safety device.

>ayylmao

>implying we've seen the limits of the human mind
We keep inventing new shit. Who knows if we/someone could invent some weird language, that could somehow make you understand the 4th dimension.

Are you seriously saying there will never, EVER be a new drug that can affect you in a unique way, because we've seen literally everything a human brain can do? Please.

'Different dimensions' is a meme. Everything is 3D. An atom is 3D. There is no '2D world'. There is no magical 4D experience.

Who said any of that in this thread?

I think it's a quality film with great execution, loved the tension throughout. I never implied it having some kind of meaning of life level of message or theme in it.

Humanity has reached a plateau everything that can and will be done has been accomplished.

What? Access to the 4th dimension means you can travel anywhere in the 3rd dimension. Simply understanding it, as this language would theoretically do, would/could mean you can see through time. That's the premise, and it ain't half bad.

:^)

The future hasn't happened yet. There is no 4D. It is a meme.

Many people defending it act like its groundbreaking and the smartest thing they've seen.

>Big part of Arrival is us humans working together so we can all get "the gift" and help them in 3000 years.

That's stupid. Realistically the aliens would already know our languages and they could just come down and go hey bros we can give you the ability to see the future. In this movie everything is predetermined so we already knows it's gonna work out anyway ayy lmao" without any of the bullshit drama. It's poorly thought out and written.

The bird is a dumb idea because by the time the bird is dead from a pathgen or disease or whatever you're already infected. They were all wearing isolation suits at first anyway.

The alien language isn't all that complicated if she can memorize and read it in a few days. 100 years of drug experimentation would be far more fruitful in unlocking the human brain.

It's another Inception

Read Flatland by Edwin Abbot

Well many people act like Fight Club is the smartest most "woke" thing they've seen, but that doesn't make the movie itself bad.
It only makes you contrarian if you shit on it just because some autists overpraise it.

I don't believe people that dumb actually exist surely they must be publicists

>Dude,if you learn reading alien circles your past self will start getting thoughts from your future self and vice versa.

/thread

>The bird is a dumb idea because by the time the bird is dead from a pathgen or disease or whatever you're already infected.
Why are you spouting uninformed bullshit? As I said, canaries are vastly smaller than humans and almost consistently emit a chirping sound, as soon as the canary died then the workers would know that the air was poisonous and would quickly evacuate before it would reach levels that would be toxic for humans.

Why do you think coal miners used them then? For good luck?

>American helicopters and fighter jets on Chinese aircraft carriers

What did they mean by this?

>The alien language isn't all that complicated if she can memorize and read it in a few days. 100 years of drug experimentation would be far more fruitful in unlocking the human brain.
Who are you to say how complicated it is? Have you never heard a joke and thought "how obvious is that joke?"? Have you never been presented by a new idea that seems obvious, but was new to you?

Look buddy, I'm not saying this shit is likely. I'm just saying it's theoretically possible. Even if it's as "theoretically possible" as god or elves or magic. Do you know every intricacy of the fourth dimension and everything that's possible with it? I think fucking not.

>Why do you think coal miners used them then? For good luck?

Because they didn't have anything better. We do. And what's the point of a bird when they're all in islolation suits ?

Use spoiler tags you reddit cock sucking faggot

the
fourth
dimension
is
time

there is no fourth spatial dimension in physics.

>What? Access to the 4th dimension means you can travel anywhere in the 3rd dimension. Simply understanding it, as this language would theoretically do, would/could mean you can see through time. That's the premise, and it ain't half bad.
actually, it's completely retarded.

good point, but at least inception had some nice mindless visuals, action scenes, and a cast of great actors

flatland is SATIRE and and commentary on big picture social structures it has fuck all to do with the premise of gravity or non-spatial dimensions

unironically kill urself

Whatever. The idea that you can harness the 4th dimension by spending a few days learning how to read squid circles is stupid though.

The basic premise is sound but it's extremely poorly executed.

>there is no fourth spatial dimension in physics.
"time" becomes something you can move through in the 4th dimension, making it basically a direction. And yes, there most definitely is a fourth "direction" in physics. What are you even talking about? In the fourth dimension you can make a "real" Klein bottle.

You're either incredibly uninformed, or your understanding of this is way above mine. I'm leaning heavily towards the former, because a simple google search seems to totally contradict much of what you claim.

>a few days
I agree she learned it a bit fast, but it was several months, not just a long weekend.

You're an idiot. There's isn't a 4th direction you're constantly traveling through the 4th dimension without moving at all.

fight club is made interesting by a triad of top tier actors and the fact it examines (albeit a little heavy handedly) modern masculinity. you got initiation rites, the question of power, hierarchies, aggression, fighting and struggles etc

arrivals deepest message is you should give birth to a kid that wont live past 20 and struggle with cancer for most of its teenage life because that's kinda moving and feelsy when set to sad royalty free tier violin music

>"time" becomes something you can move through in the 4th dimension
Keep learning physics through cartoon YouTube videos user.

Popular "science" is cancer.

The length of time isn't really important. The premise is that it's possible to rewire your brain so you can see time Dr manhattan-style.

Can you do that by learning to read circular ink-blots? No that's kinda dumb and not the angle I'd go with.

>Because they didn't have anything better. We do. And what's the point of a bird when they're all in islolation suits ?

I explained all these points in my first post.
Yes we do have technological devices for that. But what if all technology stops working inside the ship? What if the aliens blast some kind of EMP while they are inside? You can't just rely on technology completely.
And the isolation suits are just for radiation, if the air is poisonous no suit can help you breath. It's basic logic, I don't see how can't you understand.

Holy shit how stupid are you? the suits DO isolate them from the atmosphere and they have a face-mask redundancy.

Fuck you're stupid. How do you remember to breathe? pun not intended.

Thinking that every film has one singular universal "deep" message is a sign of a first class supreme pleb.

That one theme of the movie you are talking about is about embracing life/death in general and appreciating every waking moment of it, knowing how it all ends but still going through it because those moments they have together are worth living for

Also
>Max Richter
>"sad royalty free tier violin music"

Yeah you sure know what you are talking about.

>you can't move through that dimension
Said the 2d guy who literally cannot comprehend the 3rd dimension or moving in it.

For all we know, the aliens may already have understood the human language.
It's completely reasonable to assume they pretend to be learning just for the sake of creating friendship.
It's a smart way to 'trade' words.

Time in this movie works for the aliens like their language does, it's looping.
There aren't several branching timelines at once, so the only observable future and past is the existing one at once.
They might've attempted to come to the humans, fluently speaking their language, in the past which has resulted in them not getting help.
Every loop they try new things. That's why we get to see the humans actually succeed, instead of failing the probable 1000 other times.

Remember that the outcome in this movie is the ONLY thing that works for the aliens, seeing as they have unlimited attempts to save their planet.
Everything you suggest that could seem logical is debatable to have failed in other attempts the aliens might've had.

Arrival is built very good to protect itself from things people see as "plotholes", because you can argue that everything already has been attempted.

It's not smart at all.

It's stupid. They knew the bomb was there and they were willing to intervene and save the lives of the two humans but they got one of their own killed

That's dumb and makes zero sense. It's bad writing for dramas sake.

They could have avoided the bomb completely by not sending the weapon message that was misinterpreted. The whole thing is retarded and needlessly complicated to make drama so the movie can happen.

But they can't act on the future, they can't change the course of it.

This has been said numerous times.

>Thinking that every film has one singular universal "deep" message is a sign of a first class supreme pleb.
it's not necessary but for a movie to be enjoyable there's gotta be something. wether it's an examination of something, or simply well written / visually stunning / whatever, just give me one single thing that's good enough to carry the movie and i'm happy. i mention it because people keep circlejerking about how deep and meaningful the movie was.

> embracing life/death in general and appreciating every waking moment of it, knowing how it all ends
the thing is, that sentiment is somewhat informed by asian philosophy / religion. the single most important idea there is to rid yourself of the ego, of passion so you can live out your time on earth in bliss. that's completely contra the idea of having a kid that'll never really be able to reach that enlightenment and will suffer first puberty and then years of cancer because that's convenient to _you_

you could say i'm pulling this out of my ass and maybe i am, but honestly i don't think the premise would work at all if we didnt have this western pop conception of zen.

i can see an angle there that would be more tragic, yet also more organic and believable where amy adams has the kid because she can't let go of her, wants to be with her. but morally it just doesn't add up, to me, subjectively, flowery rhetoric or not. to have a kid that'll have no father figure no future and a slow death.

>>Max Richter
>>"sad royalty free tier violin music"
kek. it's fucking over used, both in general and in that movie in particular.

>Choose to save everyone by getting rid of bomb
>Abbot is now not death process
>Luis does not feel compelled to run back into the ship for the .5 lesson
>Now it's too late to get the final piece of information before China attacks ship

Read my original post again

The future was poorly written. In reality they wouldn't have let the bomb on the ship, failing that the bomb wouldn't have done anything against their hyper-technology glass wall, or failing that they would have taken any number of precautions.

Basically the whole idea of an alien getting blown up by a primitive earth bomb on a TEN MINUTE TIMER is retarded it would have never happened under any circumstances. It's retard-tier writing.

>hyper-technology glass wall
nice headcanon

Just because they are an advanced species doesn't mean that they have psychic powers of knowing the purpose of every object or device that is infront of them.

This is how stupid defenders of this movie are. Obviously they knew exactly what the device was because they tried to warn the two humans repeatedly and ultimately saved their lives.

>>nobody thought of using visual aids until some woman who's so talented she has 5 people in her class though of it.

> who's so talented she has 5 people in her class though of it.

Are you retarded? Clearly the class was only empty because it was shown the day the heptapods arrived. Would you bother showing up to class if there was ayylmaos invading?

The public only learned about the ayys when the class was already in progress.

And you have the gall to ask someone else if they're retarded. It's liek shooting fish in a barrel with you idiots.

Is Sup Forums completely incapable of seeing the gulf between "groundbreaking movie" and "shit movie"? Arrival was a good movie. Well made, reasonably engaging. Unless you're a complete sperg you don't expect everything to be perfectly logically consistent or profound in any way.

It wasn't good though. The general public would be bored shitless and people interested in the intellectual side of it would find it full of holes and pretentious.

and that hamfisted NOT Alex Jones and the stupid soldiers ruining the work of such educated and better than the plebs hack fraud autism doctors.

>they know humans from 3000 years in the future or some shit.

>can make all kinds of weird 2edgy4u emo album cover language

>no comprende senor!! no habla en engles!!

Alright you "4th dimension is time" guys, lemme open your minds with another interpretion, with some extra info.

This is a dot: "." It's the smallest thing, a zero dimensional object. Just assume that it exists.

This is a line: "____" It's a one dimensional thing. A zero dimensional object cannot visualize it. A dot can only see what's in front of it. ".___." and "._." are the same thing for the dot. The dot cannot go behind the other dot. For ".d1___.d2" to become ".d2___.d1", a higher dimensional being has to pick up d1, move it in a higher dimension, and put it after d2. d1 won't understand what happened, and d2 would see d1 vanish and appear behind itself. These are the limitations of a one dimensional object.

A line can understand a dot.

Next, what actually is a line? It is a movement of a single dot in time. "......" becomes "___" for a 2+ dimensional being. If we were to pick up a dot and move it for some time, and observe that movement in its entirety, we would see that it makes a line. So here, the first dimension is time. But we call it length.

Another construction is this: ". . . .". You make it so that dot_i touches dot_i+1. Note that a dot has no notion of length, so it cannot understand that it touches the next one, because otherwise they would have a length, and a dot is zero dimensional.
>cont.

>random retard soldiers who wouldn't pass a mental evaluation being assigned to the most important site in the USA, having access to bombs and being able to get them on board a UFO without anyone noticing.

This is a plane: "□". It's a two dimensional thing. -2 dimensional objects cannot visualize it. Here, things are a bit different than a dot with a line. We have geometric shapes. Think of tetris, you have an "S" shape. You can turn it, but you cannot make it "Z", since you are playing in a 2d field with 2d rules. You can think of it as being a conciouss geometric shape, that cannot change his alignment. Which is true for all 2d objects. But a higher dimensional thing can take the "S", flip it into a "Z", put it back and blow the minds of other geometric shapes.

Also note that a plane can understand both a dot and a line.

Now think of its construction, if us, a higher dimensional being can move a line upwards, and observe the entirety of its movement, we would see that it makes a plane. Then this second dimension is again time, but we call it height.

Another construction: "_ _ _ _". You turn them around so that the beginning touches the end. Note that a line cannot comprehend what's being done it.

This is a cube: "(wtf is the code for a cube)". It's three dimensional. We are three dimensional so we understand it completely. The problem with our movement is again the same. You cannot turn a left armed chair into a right armed chair. If a higher dimensional being exists, it would be trivial for it. We wouldn't understand it though. We can explain it using mathematics but cannot truly comprehend it. We obviously can understand every -3 dimensional object.

Construction 1: Take a plane, push it backwards, move it through time, observe it just like the others. Here we call time width.

Construction 2: Pic related. You know how it works. 3's right edge is the same edge as 4's left edge. Can you see how incomprehensible this is for a 2 dimensional plane?
>cont.

yeah, pretty much bro. its PLOTHOLES THE BADLY MADE SCIENCE FICTION MOVIE.

complete with black general Forest Whitaker, gay as hell jeremy renner, and fat ugly blob woman that hollywood is trying so hard to push as hot.

nobody cares

Then we have a 4 dimensional object. There are no drawings for these, because we understand in 3d rules. The only drawings for 3d objects move (in time). Since we don't get 4d, we don't see the movement in its entirety, hence we don't understand 4d objects. We can do math on it but we won't understand it. We call this fourth dimension time. If we were 4d beings, we would probably call it something else, and the fifth dimension time.

A 4d cube is made like pic related. The southern plane is the same plane as the northern plane. Impossible for us to make.

So yes, fourth dimension is time, just like every other dimension for a higher dimensional being.

I have a lot of issues with this movie but the choice of actress isn't one of them. I mean realistically the best expert would be some grey haired 70 year old but do you really want to look at that for however long the movie runs?

Also it wouldn't work with their stupid predestined marriage and child shit I don't know why that's even in the movie.

>in the interaction between an extremely advanced race and a relatively primitive one it's logical for the advanced race to give the other one some fucking help and at least learn how to communicate with THEM instead of forcing the primitives to do all the work.
But the entire REASON the aliens contact humans is so that they can receive "the gift", fix some of their problems and evolve with it so that 3000 years later they can be big guys for the aliens and help them in return.
Looks like the movie was actually too smart for you.

>They've warped the human mind in every which way
Because governments ran those drug programs for any reason other than making people receptive to mind control and social engineering, right? And experimenting to turn people into zombies gives you the whole range of what the brain is capable of, for some reason.

> memorize and read it in a few days
Renner's narration montage takes place over the course of months, and Adams' character is barely capable of communicating in the most rudimentary manner after that. Plus, she's able to make that advance in the first place because she already knows the language, in the futurepast.

the only reason adams is in the movie is someone is trying to push her.

shes a terrible actress. worse than local theater bad.

I would rather have some insane 70 year old wild eyed professor type than her. she has no charisma, and is utterly unbelievable as a linguistics professor.