Is spanish and italian similar enough to understand each other?

Is Español and italiano, or maybe even français, similar enough to which both speakers can hold a decent conversation?

As an italian speaking user have you ever heard or saw someone speaking spanish/french and been able to pick apart the sentence, and make a reply, or vice versa. English is only very very slightly similar to german but I can't understand more than a few words out of a whole conversation.
Any anons from other countries with languages similar can also apply their input, I know we don't have any chinese posters, but I've heard their multiple languages are all oddly different.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uMzM-s1ng7k
youtube.com/watch?v=A2T5edAGu1s
youtu.be/Tfxf4pV-zJg?t=7m50s
youtu.be/8zkuQkvz544
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is spanish and italian similar enough to understand each other?
you pick up some words since they come from the same roots. only in some cases where the italian speaker goes really slow i can understand entire phrases(rare)

I thought I could understand Italian with the lick of Spanish that I know, but same sounding words =/= the same word in the other language.

I've heard they have a 80 or 90% lexical similarity, so I was kind of serious how it translates into reality.

yes
t. not knower

I can 100% understand Brazilian Portuguese
Tuga Portuguese might as well be Russian since I understand nothing
If an Italian speaks slowly I understand like 80-90%
I can read French and get the general idea of a text but I might understand as much spoken French as you

>90%
no way its that high
Spanish and Portuguese are 89% lexical similarity, those are probably the closest romance languages to each other.
You get some words like "parla" or "amicci" wich come from the same root but are way different sounding than "habla" or "amigo".

youtube.com/watch?v=uMzM-s1ng7k
youtube.com/watch?v=A2T5edAGu1s

Really? I thought Brazillian Portuguese would be really weird, because not only is it Portuguese, it's also brazilian meaning it has other roots and newer factors shifting it away even farther.

I could watch city of God and 3% without subtitles desu
The Portuguese accent really does sounds Slavic
>parla and amicci
With some of those words it's easy to infer what they mean
For example, you know words like parlanchín and parlamento which have the same roots but didn't have the sound changes

Italian, Catalan and Spanish native speakers understand each other to a good degree, for instance, when Spanish journalists are interviewing Valentino Rossi, each one speaks in his mother language with almost no communication problems. Portuguese is more complex phonetically so it's harder to understand, whereas we can read books in written Portuguese.

To understand French, you have to learn it first. Pronunciation and vocabulary are too far removed from the rest of Romance languages.

French gaulish accent is the most further apart from "traditional" romance pronunciation
English-tier nonsensical variable pronunciation where vowels are skipped or dont sound the way you expect them to

I can understand spanish and italian pretty well if it's spoken slowly. French is harder though

I can skim through hilo latino and understand a good 89% of the thread, while /fr/ might as well be /balk/ or /sino/ to me.

This, french is an alien language, just like romanian.

I took 5 years of french classes in high school and I can't understand 90% of the vocabulary either

>/balk/
/balk/ is pretty much entirely in english

Mais notre langue est belle ! BELLE !
J'aimerais me sentir plus proche des autres enfants de Rome desu.

No, su lengua es fea. FEA!
Además NOSOTROS somos los verdaderos hijos de Roma

It's understandable enough.

But our language is beautiful, BEAUTIFUL
It... makes? me feel... closer? to the other sons of Rome.

I took French classes in middle school, needless to say I don't remember a thing about it and I don't have any interest to learn it again either.
What was that thread were they speak in Serbo-Croatian then? /ex-yu/?

We enunciate the syllables better. Portuguese people sound like they eat vowels. Angolans sound closer to them than us.

Nope, don't even try.

They're very close but not close enough to a regular conversation in both languages.

Example:

Italian: Hai le scarpe gialle.
Spanish: Tienes los zapatos amarillos.

t. Spanish speaker who's learning Italian

GROSERO
Y no le entendieron mi segunda oración, dije que me gustaría estar mas cerca to the other sons of Rome.
Also, our R > your R

As a Catalan and Spanish speaker, Italian is incredibly easy to understand. The pronouns work just like in catalan, and some archaic roots like said are also the same:
>"parla" or "amicci" in Italian
>"habla" or "amigo" in Spanish
>"parla" or "amic" in Catalan

I even had Italian customers congratulate mr on my italian or ask me where did I learn it when I just mix Spanish and Catalan and end every word in a vocal, lol.

In my experience, by hearing, Spanish is easier to comprehend than French. By reading, for some reason French is much more simple.

I'm dating an Italian who says Catalan is harder to understand than Spanish
I think it may be because of the schwa (vocal neutra), maybe it makes words harder to distinguish, dunno

Portuguese is easier to understand because of grammar but Italian phonetics are closer to Spanish than Portuguese ones

>Mas nossa língua é bela. BELA!!!
>Eu amaria me sentir mais próximo dos infantes de Roma
French is much closer related than people here give credit. Your language is pretty darn pretty btw

>French gaulish accent
uh?

I feel like french is more related to portuguese than spanish. This is weird

Esto

México, sé fuerte

catalan is closer lexically but spanish accent is almost the same than the italian one so it's easier to pick up the words

I think for italians it's a bit easier because most of the terroni babbles have a bit of spanish in them so we're better trained to understand

how do you think french have such an oddball accent compared to all other romance languages?
the french were stubborn to leave their old pronunciation, thats why french skips vowels and has such a non-intuitive pronunciation

Like with potuguese from Portugal. It has to do with the accent. If he had spoken to an deep andalusian he would think diferent.

yes, written french is not that complicated

when they speak, comprehensibility drops a lot

>french skips vowels and has such a non-intuitive pronunciation
give examples

el descendente de montezuma, seniores

you will have a hard time understanding this argument, but in spain we pronounce every vowel always the same
in french it varies a lot
>peau
>fou
>fleur
>coeur
youtu.be/Tfxf4pV-zJg?t=7m50s
7:50

Finnish, portuguese, spanish and italian have a very STANDARD phonological system

French and English don't

No but yes:

Io ho ciascun materiale.
Yo tengo cada uno de los materiales.

In this case no, but:

Ciao, io sono user!
Hola, Yo soy user!

In this case yes.

>in french it varies a lot
quite the opposite imo. Although I see from where you're coming from, it's just different ways to approach the language.
In Spanish you lot "decided " that every word should be pronounced exactly as it is written. That makes you guys know how to pronounce something you've never seen just by the way it's written.
French, on the other hand, gave more importance to the etymology.But to counter that they became very consistent with their pronunciation. So even though for example Bordeaux is said as "bordôu" every "eaux" in every word will have that same phoneme (journaux, spéciaux etc).
Once you get used to their system you will be able to read any word even if you've never seen it before too. Different approaches, same result

Thinking of moving to France after finishing my PhD in Hispanic Linguistics here.

Is Spanish accent in Spanish attractive to French females?

the spanish pronunciation is as consistent as the finnish or the italian
its quite consistent in portuguese too

english and french pronunciation are non-intuitive for anyone from a reasonable language

Spanish accent in *French.
Sorry, I just woke up.

Native language is Spanish, then learnt Catalan. Having a second Romance language allowed me to instantly understand most of Italian and Portuguese without having studied them.
French is a little different when spoken but I can understand texts no problem, Romanian is still kind of weird to me.

"Da"

I learnt Spanish at school.

I can read Italian or Portuguese, but not undestand when spoken.

What about Occitan ?
Would some Catalan be able to understand parts of it ?

Maybe post some occitan

Here you go my dude
youtu.be/8zkuQkvz544

Snownigger subhuman. I hope you get cancer.

el descendente de garibaldi, signores

Gay people are dubbed with a spanish accent in french pop culture, for example the Simpsons
But yeah i guess there are some women who fall for the SPICY FERNANDO meme, like everywhere

not in a conversation, but we understand each others by writing.

Non credo che un italiano parlando in dialetto possa parlare con un contadino del mio paese, però loro possono capire alcune cose...

>France
>An elementary school teacher is lonely because her husband wich is a philosophy academic teacher is always traveling
>She also feels sad because the said husband thinks to highly of himself and also thinks that his wife is a cultural pleb
>One day while she was in the local library reading the french classics like Victor Hugo's poetry she grasps the sound of a motorbike acompanied by the sound of a "guitar apasionada"
>She reaches to the door to see what's happening and she receives a breath of warmness in her face
>Before she could open her eyes a dark handsome man was holding her waist and towering over her with the elegance of a stray cat
>He starts to dance across the library with her, the poor teacher never felt so secure and attractive before
>"Sin duda que eras un chica lista pero tu cintura es la de una verdadera mujer" - said the wandering man in a soothing way
>Suddenly, before she could know it her soutien was removed and the fingers of the guitarist swarmed over her
>The pleasure was so intense that even Rimbaud could hear her moans from his grave
>When she wakes up there was a rose next to her beautiful naked body
>"Pour Marie, je vous dit: Merci... Acuerdate de mi, tu amado..."
>...
>Fernando Martinez