Studios Push for $50 Early Home Movie Rentals, But Negotiations Are Complex (EXCLUSIVE)

Studios Push for $50 Early Home Movie Rentals, But Negotiations Are Complex (EXCLUSIVE)

At least five of the major studios are pushing plans to get movies into homes earlier, but theater chains and studios are still far apart from agreeing on how it would happen.

Currently, there is a roughly three-month gap between when a major studio movie opens theatrically and when it is made available for sale or rental. As a concession for allowing films to be made available for premium on-demand rentals, theater owners want studios to agree to keep the traditional window in place, so consumers wouldn’t be able to rent or buy movies at the regular price for approximately 90 days.

As they are pushing to make films available earlier and at a higher price, studios are also trying to figure out what those changes will mean for television and streaming licensing pacts.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/RGrs9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

K

good

waiting 3 months for a home release is just retarded in current year

>higher price

but I already spend more than $50 when I go to cinema

Whatever lets HD rips leak faster

There is literally no way to protect this from piracy

Theater companies desperately trying to hold onto the past and fight technology

>p-please don't watch the movie in the comfort of your own home! c-come on down to the theater and wait in line, jockey for good seats and buy our $10 hotdogs!

Fuck em

but they are literally offering the movie for you to watch at home before it gets blu-ray release, retard

So basically pirates will get their hands on it earlier?
Let's do it.

>scene groups pay the $50 and have HD rips on release date

Thanks YIFY
V: 10
A: 10

Depending on your theater and if you like to avoid crowds, you need a lot of space and money to try and recreate that at home. I'd love to have a good home cinema.

sorry, I'm the retard

>theather companies

They will put a watermark on it and when they see the rip they will revoke your TV license

>revoke your TV license
>bongistani problems

this

You're a retard who will just pirate every movie. You'll come up with excuses as to why they don't deserve your money as you download their movies for free. Cancer.

What does this have to do with my post in in any way?

>scene releases within a week of premiere
god yes please

t. theatre owner defense force

Source? If so it's a supremely retarded idea if they actually want to continue to combat piracy.

The system works as is. Why hand the movie out early to every piracy group out there day one?

archive.is/RGrs9

>watermark
>$50

better fucking not be

If you haven't figure it out yet, movie studios are run by retards who can't come up with original ideas of their own without them sucking.

This is one of them.

They are going to royally fuck themselves doing this. Piracy will fuck them royally. That, and movie theatres will be closed.

The movies are supposed to be an experience, not some washed down in a shitty living room experience.

Can't wait till the nostalgia threads, much like the videostore ones we got.

Adding to this it's only going to kill theaters.

Even if it's 50 dollars you could just invite a big group of say 10 people over to watch a movie.

It will exponentially increase actual rips and even just decent cams plus nobody's going to want to go the theater anymore to pay for overpriced popcorn when you could go get a box of microwave popcorn and a couple of two liters.

All of this on day one when something like that was impossible before. It would be the death of every theater within say 5 years.

>It would be the death of every theater within say 5 years.
Sounds good to me i haven't gone to one for over 8 years now. Overpriced food, not comfy, have to deal with human trash, dirty and gross. They can't die soon enough.

Golly maybe it has to do with you bitching about companies not releasing movies to your home, dipshit? Read your own post.

>movies will be available to watch in home same day as theaters
>theaters are forced to lower prices to compete
>tfw I'll be able to go see a movie on release night in imax and won't have to pay $30 for popcorn and a drink

A smart studio would pair with a TV manufacturer and talk about the benefits of buying a 4K TV and movie machine. Sony is in prime position to do that themselves. But they're Sony.

I like how this thread got so many replies with zero source citings for the OP article.

Doesn't matter. What matters is how many retards will buy full price at release date. They want to be the videogames market.

and nothing of value would be lost at this time. cinemas these days are just pure fucking cancer with outrageous prices and full of obnoxious niggers and retards.

Even $50 is too much try $10 at best maybe $20 remembers back in the day when vhs retailed for a suggested $19.98 I don't care if these are first run films or not

Same here for weekends or nights.

Matinees are comfy as fuck though.

People seem to be under the impression that studio heads like theaters. They don't. Theaters are a massive money sinks where they lose half their potential profit in the fucking first week of opening and that tally just lessens with each passing week. Not to mention the relationships they have with the big theater chains is an antagonistic one, where compromise often means both sides losing.

There is almost no benefit at all to even opening a movie in a theater to the studio besides advertising and box office bragging rights, and if they can make total profit from

We're getting closer to day 1 movie piracy that's in actual good quality, boys. What a time to be alive.

If they cant compete then tough shit. Maybe they shouldn't be so fucking bad that staying at home is a more enjoyable experience.

It helps outside the US though even though they barely make money there.

This decision would ensure the Chinese market would be dead in the water since somebody here would pay for it and then bam. Instant cam that could have subs attached.

Hollywood makes a bit of money from overseas at this point.

Yeah, no.

This is a stupid as fuck idea for many reasons that anons have pointed out, and another reason why it's stupid, that your post made me realize, is:

If they do this and theatres get shutdown, then they lose profits. Studios always made money during the theatrical release and then a second time when the dvd/bluray is released; doing this direct to tv shit will cut their profits.

But hollywood is full of idiots so they won't realize this.

Almost all films makes much more money on a home release than their theatrical run these days. A film being in a theater for longer than four weeks is basically meaningless to every studio on the planet, even if that film is a blockbuster because by then about 80% of sales goes to the theater only.

A film being in the theaters for three months before you can buy a bluray is fucking ridiculous and I can see perfectly why movie studios want to kill this useless embargo.

>Though different studios are exploring different scenarios, the plan that has gathered the most steam would involve offering up movies for $50 a rental some 17 days after their theatrical opening. Those rentals would be available for 48 hours.

They are absolutely insane if they think people will pay $50 to rent a movie though.

a drop of 50-60 percent in ticket revenue from a theater is totally normal for movies from opening weekend to the next. and then for 3 months or more they can't sell their movie. studios want nothing to do with theaters anymore.

Sources can be faked and only add confusion to the discussion.

>Almost all films makes much more money on a home release than their theatrical run these days
That's completely untrue, home video has been dying for a decade now. All the money is made in the first 1-3 weeks

Good news.

why do cinemas have much of a say in this matter?

That would make you a retard though, as it would prove that you lack reading comprehension and can't figure out that my gripe is with theaters gauging the ticket sales and food.

How is it possible for you to be this dumb?

>watching brand new flick at home, no worries about singles policy, no troubles with getting a spot for my falcon or buying overpriced crab legs
>movie inspectors show up at my door and make me undergo a penis inspection before fining me $2000 for improper home theater conduct

>They are absolutely insane if they think people will pay $50 to rent a movie

If you have a good home setup (big ass TV or projector and good sound, which many people have nowadays), and if you have a family or group of at least 2 or 3 people, then $50 could be worth it.
>tickets 3 x $10 = $30
>snacks 3 x $10 = $30
>plus hassles of parking, shitty crowds, shitty seats, etc
>if you can rewatch the movie for up to 48 hours, that's a huge benefit for a new movie release. Imagine being able to rewatch Justice League to catch all of Zack Snyder's religious symbolism.

Downsides are you don't get the full theater experience, and it may not feel so special because you're just at home, but for families the reduced hassles/overall cost might be worth it.

>saving money makes you a retard

>no worries about singles policy

"Please turn on your DRM Camera to ensure no single males are watching this home presentation, then press Play. Thank you."

>tfw family always makes me the designated shooter

That's what Sheila is for.

So we'll have HI-DEF rips the moment new movies come out? Sold.

you can already rent movies at the same time as cinema but it's fucking expensive and very limited. Prizma cinema or something. It's like 30k to set up and 500 for one watch and capped at 1080p24. idk how these hollywood goons are so out of touch

>may not feel so special because you're just at home

pretty lame, milhouse

Depends on someone cracking whatever DRM they employ. There's a company that already does this for really rich people and their security is incredibly tight.

prima cinema