Sup Forums how do you deal with people who can't see reason?

Sup Forums how do you deal with people who can't see reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(solar)
youtube.com/watch?v=DPxri6_91ww
youtube.com/watch?v=FU16l-WSq_k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

use lots of capital letters and youtube links

Wait so does that mean that when ice caps, I mean rings disappear due to glogal warming, all the water will just drain over the edge?

I finaly understand you, Al Gore, you were right but we didn't listen.

>how do you deal with people who can't see reason?
Throw them off the edge of the earth

This thread, the anti-vaxxers thread, and the climate change thread are proof that Sup Forums's autism levels are so high that its users can't be taken seriously.

Tell me please Flat-earthers
Who profits from making people believe that earth is a sphere.

Why would people try to hide it?

kek

just we do it now, mindcontrol them. just don't let jews do this

To be honest OP I've seen these videos about flat earth and they have a lot of compelling evidence. Whenever someone tries to discredit it all they do is talk shit and never actually disprove what these people say. Scientists will just say, "I'm disappointed and can't believe people can be so stupid" and never actually explain what is wrong with their theorys

>To be honest OP I've seen these videos about flat earth and they have a lot of compelling evidence.

You can literally buy a high altitude balloon, stick a go pro on it and send it up for like £300-500. You'll see the curvature of the earth. If you're not poor- as most conspiracy nuts at- you can get a long haul flight and you'll go so high you can see it. If you're not a moron, like most conspiracy nuts are, you can work out the values of a triangle on a 3D sphere vs 2D circle and see that a flat disc makes no sense with our understanding of distance.

The """"evidence"""" is just impromptu explanations that don't fit together

The evidence does fit together though you're just biased

This, fuck this board.

fpbp

I have two sisters.
One of them is an ardent flat earther, but she can be excused this idiocy as youtube was instrumental in her coming off smack, rather a live moron than a dead junkie, she even has a job now, good lass.
the other sister is uniiversity educated, has a high paying career, owns a house, manages to balance her career with being a single mother and firmly believes that Russel Brand should be next PM. Russell fucking Brand.

I despair Sup Forums

You literally believe that our planet is flat when you can see other round planets in the sky through a telescope.

That's the thing though.

This shit is pretty flawed in too many ways. It doesn't actually work, for multiple reasons. It's been riding on the fact that people have an intellectual blind spot for the flat earth.

Guess what - realizing this does not make the arguments for a flat earth any more convincing for anyone who's even an amateur in astronomy. For all I know, earth might not be round if they've actually kept this shit under a rug. But it's not a disk, and certainly not flat. Honestly, if there actually was some crazy large-scale conspiracy about the shape of the earth, that would just make flat earthers useful idiots that distract from the truth.

I suspect that there's a group of people trolling, and another group of people that are just convinced because they are shocked about their own flimsy reasoning about the earth being round. After all, it's actually not that obvious why we think the earth is round, yet people pass it around as such an obvious thing since that's what they've know all their lives.

If you are legitimately puzzled about some fact relating to this subject, go ask around /sci/. I myself am quite tired of showing reasons why the earth can't be flat. There is only so many times that you can argue about something so stupid, and it usually devolves into a tiresome argument (instead of debate) where people deny things that you can go out and check for yourself.

TL,DR: I don't think flat earthers are not stupid or unreasonable, just misguided.

Correction you see an image of what people have told you is a round planet in the sky.
You are also making the false assumption that something that is flat cannot be round

Why does the earth have 2 terminators at any given longitude at any time of the day, a flat earth should not have this feature.

you could come up with some so irrational and easily disproved that nobody could believe it. then convince them that it is fact. when they eventually recognise their irrationality and realise what a silly tit they've been, they'll turn to reason.

i think this is may be why someone decided to revive flat-earth theory

not a flat earther here but i dont understand your argument I dont know what terminators are in this context, care to educate me a little?

wtf I hate Sup Forums now

Consider that people see reason but may not agree with your reasoning.

a terminator is an astrological term. When you look at the moon at night, the terminator is the line that divides the bright area (facing the sun) and the dark area (facing away from the sun).

You can look at planets yourself with a telescope that you can buy. And round as in spheres fuckass.

The sun illuminates only half the earth at any time, much like you can illuminate a ball with a flash light and only see one side. The edge of the light is the terminator.

Oh so you're literally retarded.

Be like any other right-wing internet autist and make a 4 hour long youtube video of nothing but your nasally voice and pictures of "documents". That'll definitely redpill the masses.

Give them a potion of See Reason.

What do you mean?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(solar)

thanks!

That's actually a very good point. Thanks for that.

Where did that come from? That's the definition of a terminator.

This guy explained this very simple concept to you perfectly.

Astronomical*

Don't confuse astrology and astronomy.

He gave the same explanation though.

Yes. He said the same thing I said.

woops

Slightly better illustration for you OP.

No, Antarctica is solid ground beneath the ice.

youtube.com/watch?v=DPxri6_91ww

How to flat earthers explain the sun going below the horizon? If the sun looks like it does in that animation, you'll be able to see it from every point on the earth 24 hours a day.

Because John Connor sent one of the Terminators back in time to stop the first. Obviously.

The sun is quite obviously a spotlight, senpai, so it only lights up things it's shining directly at.

If gravity is a lie and everything simply moves down, what stops the earth from moving down at the same speed negating that effect?

why does the light suddenly stop at the edge of the circle, and also- that rounded edge is far too deep for the cycle we experience

One time the local paper wrote about the ASTROLOGY department at a local collage....

Simple. Take two objects and put them on a table 5 feet in front of you and hold up a ruler and see how far apart they appear to be.

Now walk another 20 feet away and hold up the same ruler. The two objects now appear closer together because you are further away from them

So the further away from you the sun gets, the closer it appears to be to the Earth, and at a certain point appears to actually dip below the horizon.

It's simply an optical illusion caused by relative distance.

Are you seeing a 2d or 3D image through the telescope? I've only ever seen 2d images so I don't know how you're getting a sphere

Fuck them, they'll redpill when mudslimes enrich them with shariah

>what stops the earth from moving down at the same speed negating that effect?
It's sitting on turtles

Send them to Germany

booster rockets

For the flat-earth argument: The ancient Greeks knew the earth was round. They suspected it when they saw other planets in the sky which were round. Then they used trigonometry to determine the earth must be curved. You can follow these arguments still today. Or now we have the luxury of getting on a plane and witnessing it ourselves. But we don't need to do that.

The point is there are ways to reason something is true without having to see it. This is called rationalism, the basis of mathematics. (Opposed to empiricism, the basis of science.) The rationalist way to deduce the earth is round is doing the trig, while the empirical way now is to get on a plane.

My point for the OP is: people reason in different ways, and sometimes come to different conclusions because of this. It's not necessarily because they are unreasonable, but because they take a different path. It's important for us to understand what assumptions others are making before entering debate, for this is the greatest cause of frustration with "unreasonables." They simply begin somewhere else than we do.

If I've learned anything from my studies it's that logical thinking and cold reasoning are NOT natural modes of human thought. These are gifts we have as humans, higher than animals. But it is not a given. We must work hard to sharpen our logical reasoning, either through mathematics or puzzles. I've taught mathematics before and tutored many, and most people simply don't see value in this crucial skill. It's quite sad.

On the other hand, I grew up with someone who was very irrational, to the point of some psychological diagnosis if that's meaningful at all. All I can recommend when dealing with these people is to simply not bother. I'm talking about the VERY extreme, who literally cannot concede in an argument because to them it mentally threatens their safety. It is a defense mechanism for them to deny anything you say or do, and these people are sadly lost in the realm of reason.
(1/2)

Thats not even how it works and your "optical illusion" isn't actually an illusion, its retarded because light doesn't refract like that

actually its resting on four elephants that are standing on 1 turtle.

In summary, there are some people who are no worth debating because they simply cannot understand logic, I believe. These make great useful idiots, but not even useful idiot lies in this crowd. Many people can be converted when they are introduced to what logic and reasoning are. But there is also danger in assuming there is one path to finding truth, for this is a philosophical conundrum that should not be taken lightly.

There are times when empirical reasoning disagrees with rational, and it takes hard work to reconcile. Do to disregard those who appear reasonable but arrive to different conclusion. The methodology and the starting axioms are essential. Instead work with them, with humility that perhaps your own position can improve after a hard analysis as well as theirs.

>resting on four elephants that are standing on 1 turtle
You fool! It's turtles all the way down!

Who put them there?

>why does the light suddenly stop at the edge of the circle
It doesn't you moron, that's why it gradually gets darker at dusk and brighter in the morning. I could throw it back at you: if the only reason we're not lit up by the sun at night is because the Earth is between us and the sun then why is there a period of twilight before and after the sun rises/sets?

>and also- that rounded edge is far too deep for the cycle we experience
The "rounded edge" explains why the days are shorter the further north/south you go. Nothing sphere-earthers believe can account for this, so I'll chalk that up as a win for team truth.

No one's claiming it isn't curved.

You must be new here

>The point is there are ways to reason something is true without having to see it. This is called rationalism, the basis of mathematics. (Opposed to empiricism, the basis of science.)
So sphere-Earth confirmed for religion? Got it. Moving on.

then explain pic related.

nasa

Take some good welding glasses or filter the flare of the sun in some other way.

It literally goes UNDER the horizon.

Get good welding glasses or an appropriate filter for a telescope. Go and see this for yourself.

(around 1:40)

Why does the sun fall behind the horizon then? Why can we not always see the sun 24 hours a day?

Promote genocide through Trump's presidency

My mistake, 1:00 for best part

Not at all. Faith is the opposite of rationalism. It is the method of finding "truth" by suspending all reason, and simply believing. It's quite an intellectually shallow method for finding truth, if you ask me.

If you only believe in statements you can see, do you believe in the existence of light waves with frequency beyond those our eyes detect?

Volcanic activity is constantly pushing the Earth up.

Good point Huebro Its a pretty shit theory.

>explain pic related
The Elephant Theory is just another jewish lie, meant to fool people into viewing cattle as sacred, thus keeping India in poverty, and preserving certain designated street statuses. I thought this was common knowledge among the british.

Earth is teathered to the sun by cosmic forces

T O B L E R O N E

Optical illusion you dumb fucker. You know nothing about optics.

Okay, so we've established that two objects look closer together the further they are from you, so it follows logically that if they get far enough away from you they would appear to switch positions.

AND WE CAN DEMONSTRATE THIS EFFECT WITH LENSES.

Take a pair of binoculars or a telescope, objects that simulate distance. Look through until you get a clear image, the pull your head slowly back. You WILL see the image you're looking at invert, the objects on the right switching to the left, top to bottom etc. Are they REALLY moving when you see this happen? Of course not, it's an optical illusion caused by DISTANCE.

that would mean the sun would get smaller and smaller in the sky until it was hard to tell the distance between it and the horizon, by which point the sun would be no brighter than a normal star at most.

That's not what happens though. It doesn;t explain sunsets.

>so it follows logically that if they get far enough away from you they would appear to switch positions.
Not it doesn't.
>Take a pair of binoculars or a telescope, objects that simulate distance.
They don't simulate distance, you dickwad.

The brighter the object, the less it shrinks with distance. Again this is easily observed simply by driving at night and observing the size of headlights relative to the cars. The sun is much brighter than headlights, so this effect is much more pronounced.

>so it follows logically that if they get far enough away from you they would appear to switch positions.
no it doesn't. Nothing ever switches positions no matter how far away you move from it.

>Look through until you get a clear image, the pull your head slowly back. You WILL see the image you're looking at invert
That's due to the lense effect. It inverts the image. Also the sun and horison do not switch positions in a sun set. The horizon stays in the same position it was always in. If their positions were inversed the ground would appear to be where the sky was and the sun would appear to be below where the horizon was previously. Which is what will happen if you do that binocular trick while looking at the sun near the horizon.

You're reverting to "nuh uh" which basically means you've lost the argument.

>Okay, so we've established that two objects look closer together the further they are from you, so it follows logically that if they get far enough away from you they would appear to switch positions.
No it doesn't. YOU are the one who obviously doesn't know anything about

>Take a pair of binoculars or a telescope, objects that simulate distance. Look through until you get a clear image, the pull your head slowly back. You WILL see the image you're looking at invert, the objects on the right switching to the left, top to bottom etc. Are they REALLY moving when you see this happen? Of course not, it's an optical illusion caused by DISTANCE.
And here we have it. PROOF that you know nothing of optics. That simulation is shit, and shows nothing.

I'm not arguing with you the same way I wouldn't argue with a downy that santa isn't real.

>That's due to the lense effect. It inverts the image.
Your eye is a lens.
>Also the sun and horison do not switch positions in a sun set. The horizon stays in the same position it was always in.
Because the sun is moving away from you, the horizon is not.

>The brighter the object, the less it shrinks with distance.
That's not at all true. What made you think that would be the case?

>Again this is easily observed simply by driving at night and observing the size of headlights relative to the cars.
The headlights might blind you at night time, but if you can see their width they shrink with distance like everything else. Measuring the width of the sun at sunset is pretty easy.

>Your eye is a lens.
yes.

>Because the sun is moving away from you, the horizon is not.
So how does the sun disappear then?

Round earth is a jew conspiracy. You know who runs NASA?

>but if you can see their width they shrink with distance like everything else
Of course they do, but they appear larger relative vehicle they're attached to the further they are away from you. The effect is much more pronounced because car headlights are much less bright than the sun.

No, you're saying something that is logically unsound.

I could say that we all know that because 2+2 =4, it follows 2+3=2.

3 people simply pointed out that point out that that reasoning is bogus. It just does not follow.

I try and ignore them, it's often hard, but I find it's worth the effort

What's a good, compelling video I can watch about flat-earther's views? I don't want to be close-minded.

The great thing about the flat earth conspiracy theory is that it requires hundreds of thousands of people to keep a secret so whistle-blowers and leaked documents are no doubt everywhere.

Internationally, all cartographers, geographers, and navigators must lie in all maps about the distance between continents.

All the engineers in all the countries must be in a conspiracy regarding satellites, all GPS's must trick the user into waiting for fake satellites, all Satellite-phones must use secret fake technology, and Satellite tv and radio must be engineered to actually use other means. A group of people have to shoot fake satellites every night into the sky.

Don't forget all astronomers public, private, and amateur from all nations of the world hiding the truth that celestial bodies are 2d disks even though you can watch mars rotate.

By tomorrow night we should have at least ten thousand whistle-blowers from scientists, engineers, businesses, amateur astronomers, government employees, etc.

>but they appear larger relative vehicle they're attached to the further they are away from you
Not if you can actually measure the width of the headlights.

you exploit them for the plebs they are, what else?

>Not if you can actually measure the width of the headlights.
EXACTLY, because it's just an optical illusion, just like the sun. That's what I've been saying the whole damn time.

What """"compelling"""" evidence are you talking about?
It is mostly denying most of the physics we know of and replacing it with some pseudo-science.

>people actually died and burned on a stick so we can have science and flatearth retards just spit on it for the lulz

No, that's not what he said.
You just said that you yourself are wrong if you say "exactly" to that comment.

>B-but the jews taught me we live in a spinning ball and the jews never lie

>If you jump in a moving train you'll fly to the back!

But if you measure the width of the sun as it sunsets, it does not change at all. It stays the same width at all points of the sky. Even though you claim it should be as small as a normal star as it approaches the horizon.

Even the Ancient Greeks proved that the Earth wasn't flat...