Did The Expanse jump the shark at this exact moment ?

Did The Expanse jump the shark at this exact moment ?

No.

I don't think it jumped the shark.

It's pretty well paced. Although entire Eros chase sequence in books lasts for few weeks

did you not bother to use the catalog because you knew you'd get your asshole torn apart in an active thread?

>waah waah every show should only have one thread like muh reddit

you can go back retard

doesn't even apply

the protomolecule was always in there it's a big part of the story from day 1

enjoy page 10, you don't even know what jumping the shark means

Quite the opposite.

It verified itself as one of the greatest love stories in television righ at that moment

I was actually surprised how much this scene was like i'd imagined it from the books. Very nice work.

The whole bit with julie at the end comes off as a little weird though, Miller is basically a creepy stalker. Whatever

IDK why but I always though the protomolecule would look a little bit more fungal or decomposing, like an actual parasite / disease or something. Not this shiny blue avatar Yahweh shit

'Guys, I think this protomolecule is actually ma dead girlfriend, Im going to try and talk to her now, bye'

Yeah that was totally weird. He couldn't have known shit.

>jump the shark
nigga if anything it skyrocketed into sci-fi hall of fame

Fuck no. The last episode was the best so far.

The sudden Alcubierre drive was the bee's knees.

End of Evangelion-tier

He could literally hear her talking and see that the heat signature was leading him back to where they found her, yea really was a massive leap in logic

This is a fair point. The book did describe it all as being kinda gruesome. Miller even sees rib cages moving around and shit.

The show made it all "pretty".

That said it was still a great scene and gave me a terminal case of feels.

>ywn die in the arms of your space waifu turned half alien bio computer thing

If what is essentially a drunk, down & out guy with suicidal tendencies obsessing over a dead woman he's never met was -ever- going to get called one of the greatest love stories, it had to be in this place. Never change, faggots.

Passengers would probably be the runner up if it wasn't promoted as a chick flick.

It was more a leap on Holden's part. Everything that was happening could have been equally explained by the proto-molecule wanting to assimilate all life on Earth and simply initiating its plan when humans started attacking it. Even if he trusted Miller, all of Miller's evidence amounts to at least fragments of some of the people surviving within the proto-molecule colony, but that doesn't mean she still exists as a willful individual or can control it.

Holden basically flipped a coin to determine whether 30 billions humans die or not.

Based Holden
Virgin Waifu lover Miller

>a drunk, down & out guy with suicidal tendencies obsessing over a dead woman he's never met
Literally me

gimme that thicc martian, Nygaard and the Fredfu pls

no, you're just dumb, but I'm sure you only posted this for the (You) because that's what Sup Forums has become.

I thought the first season was pretty bland and it didn't really grab me but still alright, but something has clicked into place now with season 2 and it's the best sci-fi in years by miles.

There was no guarantee any of there weapons could stop it though, they'd already seen it react in multiple ways to defend itself from threats. Trying to nuke it may have just made it angry for all they knew and I that is what convinced Holden. That and not wanting to die in pursuit of it.

It was a gamble but so was trying to nuke it, and remember Miller was inside it with a nuke already so he could detonate that.

Also she's not entirely in control of it, she's not even mostly in control of it. It has a job to do.

Fuck Mars

Earthers for life

no love anymore for lanky belter whore?

>got his wife MARSED

The nukes had a better chance than the absurd shit Miller was raving about. The only reasoning that I can imagine that could have tipped the scales against nuking Eros was Holden simply wanting to live. He had no good reason to trust Miller's conclusion but he did anyway because even if it meant the deaths of 30 billion humans and perhaps ultimately the extinction of humanity, he would live.

was never into lanklets in the first place

also Muss looks like a screamer so might take her instead of the thicc bitch

I don't find black women attractive, but holy fuck I'd betray Earth for her.

G-guys I don't want to live without Miller

I miss him already

God she is hot. And for some reason sideshaves just scream "want me to deepthroat you?" to me for some reason.

Kaka felota

Beltalowda!

same

hope we see Dawes soon, he was a top tier villain. Everyone is good except Holden the whiny bitch and maybe the martian edge squad

Maybe. Makes Holden more relatable desu, better than being space Jesus

You'd die more if humanity was doomed than you would when your heart stopped. Humanity is your afterlife. They contain all your genes and memes. Dying for humanity is logical.

Bookfag here. Dawes will return but not for a long time sadly.

why didn't they just STOP the asteroide with Julie's will?

also protomolecule didn't save them? .. though, yes, a nuke was next to them, and around them, and they crashed to the planet... but the molecule couldn't just swallow the explosions' energy?
couldn't it even swallow the Sun, if it was thrown into it?

I don't think so, he was prepared to go all the way.

millar's idea was the best chance in the moment

who knows how the molecule would react to threat of missiles

>Miller's plan was the best plan
No it wasn't. Everything that Eros did could be explained by the proto-molecule wanting to infect Earth.

>DomiDICK TIPS

literally a bbc

The book made the situation more logical, and had a better explanation of what was going on.

Rather than have the Roci follow & paint Eros, burning at 15Gs or more, endangering the crew, they use the transponders of the Belter ships left on the surface (IIRC they rigged their reactors into fusion bombs) to guide the missiles in.

Then they decide to give Miller some time, since the missiles were probably not going to work anyway (and scatter the protomolecule across the system). In the books Eros was still weeks from hitting Earth.

the protomolecule isn't invincible, enough heat and it'll be fubar.

that's their initial assumption, yes...

That's cool.

Was there also a better rationale behind killing the med crew who were going to leak the info about Eros in the books? Holden's logic was pretty iffy there too.

And when the fate of the species is on the line it's best to keep the nuclear option on the table.

But as said, their actions made more sense in the book. They just cut out the parts that made Holden's decision rational in order to squeeze out more drama, by implying they didn't have time for anything and were gambling everything on Miller.

>assmad his brittleboned dustbunny had her pelvis broken by a squat making tender love to her
>probably the dicking of a lifetime for her
topbelta, you silly domehome dustsucker

That scene wasn't in the books, the show is just advancing Holden's character more since, well, you know, he's kinda shit.
He's like that for four fucking books before he becomes tolerable.

Luckily the producers of the show realized that with Miller gone [/spoiler] for now [/spoiler] Holden would have to start carrying more weight for the show.
So they're advancing his character a lot quicker than the books.

Thanks. But I just wished they would come up with better rationales for Holden's actions. So far two big decisions he's made don't make a whole lot of sense and I doubt they are going to acknowledge that fact.

>And when the fate of the species is on the line it's best to keep the nuclear option on the table.

except there wasn't an option to choose both, Millar presented them with another option, Holden trusted him in that moment and it paid off

Logically speaking since eros is acting under a weird protomolecule that defys known physics and dodged the first projectile , it was worth taking a punt on millars' idea

00:38:18,884 --> 00:38:22,119
>I can't make it stop. It won't stop.
Okay, Julie. But you gotta try.
>We can't stop the work.
All right. We won't stop the work. But we don't have to go to Earth, right?

Holden's basically the moralfag in your RPG group that ends up ruining everything because he can never compromise or see shades of grey.

>Miller gone [/spoiler] for now [/spoiler]

Just wait until the finale.....or halfway through Season 3.

must be christy mack's influence

at first

did you miss the episode where he blew up the medic ship , or sent that spy to certain death

he's jack bauer of space, he's got to start off as a good guy so he can have that character arc

That's when people will learn how to properly spoiler things?

literally only 1 attractive one
bottom left. everyone else is too diverse.

Yeah, which is why I said they're trying to improve him early on rather than have him be an intolerable cunt for four seasons.

Would anyone be interested in a quick rundown of everything that's happened in the books?

>tfw really liked the first half of season 1 with all of the politics, intrigue, and interesting picture of human society after colonizing space
>was hoping the focus would stay on that and not introduce aliums or any incomprehensible future tech at least for a few seasons
>as soon as they reach Eros it becomes Protomolecule: The Show

It's not even that I dislike the protomolecule plot, I just want one show that does comfy realistic sci fi without feeling the need to make it all about the fate of all humanity as soon as it gets going

I don't see it that way. Holden is compromising TOO much. He is killing people for very little reason and risking billions just so his crew can stay alive. It makes more sense in the books but in the TV series they are cutting and adding stuff that just don't make sense given who Holden is supposed to be. As a moralfag he should have let that med team live and should have given up his life to nuke Eros.

Pls

You're probably right.

The authors follow the GoT model of starting very grounded and slowly introducing more fantastical things.

The plot drifts for a while but eventually comes back to focusing on human politics even with all the alien shit, basically alien shit just gives us a bigger arena to be dicks in ultimately.

You sure senpai? Like everything where the show is now (end of book 1) up to where the books are now (end of book 6) or you just want part of that?

medics consistently lied to him, refused to negotiate in good faith, and he didn't have time to waste. man did what he could but when someone's going full-retard with "the masses must know" when they have no idea what's actually going on, you don't really have much choice

Spoiler tag it

My anus is ready

no way he could have let them live, it made total sense. They were infected. He's a moralfag but he's also realising that sometimes you got to do hard things being a captain isn't easy

he was totally prepared to go all the way with eros until it turned out that by chasing the thing they were only making to more angry and making it speed up

shit... I gotta go but I will do it later. Sorry senpai.

The lies built up to the conclusion that the med team were moralfags like Holden trying to expose mass murder. You're argument would only hold water if the conclusion being drawn by the show itself was that the med team was actually one of the bad guys taking samples, but that idea was never even suggested.

Not wanting what happened on Eros exposed didn't make sense. Sure, it made sense to hide it until they could be sure it was destroyed, but the plan wasn't contingent on it and thus it doesn't make a good situation to break down the morals of a diehard moralfag.

>They were infected.
They were a med team full of moralfags. They were no more exposed than Holden and his crew were when they left Eros. Letting themselves leave Eros but not allowing the doctors who were more qualified to determine whether or not they were infected was hypocritical.

No. This was the climax. But the series could have ended here.

Every good SciFi story needs a moment of alien or technological transcendence. Even if the Macguffin has to be blown up in the end. It's like Chekov's gun: the weirdness has to play out. Otherwise what's the point of it being SciFi?

You want to see the ultimate idea expressed.

>It verified itself as one of the greatest love stories in television righ at that moment
Made me fucking weep, m8.

you missed like... the whole point of the interaction

>it was a love story
I reject that interpretation.

Nu-uh.

The show's final conclusion that the ship was full of doctors who wanted to expose the evil Martian science experiment to the system.

its not about them being bad guys taking samples ,no one suggested that

the whole thing is they were good people but holden had to make the call because at the end of the day there was too much at stake

Why did he let the energy absorbing protomolecule touch the bomb's interface?

yeah, thats the point though. if they were bad people then it wouldn't have been a hard decision for holden to shoot them down

it was explained in the show, they could have made things much worse by making a broadcast and they could have been carrying stuff out with them

>there was too much at stake
That's the problem though, the point of adding that scene was to force Holden to kill good people for the sake of a the plan, to make him reconsider his hollier than thou attitude, but it was too contrived. The plan was not contingent on secrecy. The only think it proved was that Holden wasn't that much of a moralfag to begin with.

If the scene were better thought out then they would have come up with a situation where the plan WAS contingent on secrecy, that way no matter how much of a moralfag Holden was he would still have to kill them.

It was a poorly tacked on scene. The went to all the trouble to explain how the generation ship would propel Eros into the Sun and the nukes would glass the surface so the bad guys who started the whole thing couldn't get back in before Eros is atomized. But then suddenly we are supposed to care that it is kept secret from the bad guys? The bad guys who already knew about Eros? Or keep it secret from the rest of the system who would have agreed that Eros should be atomized?

So yeah, it was a contrived scene tacked on to progress Holden as a character.

You are always free to draw your own conclusions.

>The only reasoning that I can imagine that could have tipped the scales against nuking Eros was Holden simply wanting to live.
In the books, it's this. The whole time there's an Earther military ship keeping pace with them, which also pulls off when Eros has them pushing 20gs. The Roci could go fast enough to kill them.

Apparently in the books Miller didn't kiss her. The TV show tried forcing their relationship into a romance, which it wasn't really supposed to be given their circumstances. The problem is compounded by Sup Forums's waifu culture projecting their psychological problems onto Miller.

That's my two cents.

>implying Holden wouldn't willingly sudoku for 5 people, much less 30 billion

I've just realized this is exactly the same story as Watchmen:

>Cold war / Earth vs. Mars
>Alien entity intervenes
>Humanity unites in peace to deal with that

Another user said they only pulled off in the book because they had an alternate means of targeting, a belter ship transponder still on Eros.

That's why I have a problem with certain events in the TV show. They are contrary to who they keep telling us Holden is.

Guess who is Rorschach, wanting to kill people for justice's sake regardless of consequences and dying in the end.

Yeah but that's after Holden decides he doesn't want to kill himself and his crew to save Earth.

When he kissed her I was like "why the fuck is she ok with this guy she's never seen kissing her?"

And I'm a hopeless Sup Forums virgin

Felt kinda shoehorned in

My thought exactly. The meme that every good ending needs a kiss is a strong one.

Honestly Miller's relationship with her seems more paternal than anything else, though not even that is right.

That's not what that saying means.

Humanity doesn't unite in the expanse.

You're a Mary Sue.

Oh my god you're right! That's so blatant! Let's digest deeper. Is Chrisjen Ozzymandias? Is Protogen Dr. Manhatten?

gb2plebbit, normie

He truly believed in her, and cared too much to hurt her.

Also, the protomolecule could have assimilated him with an appendage at any time as he moved through the ship, and also turned off the bomb. It was intelligent enough to cloak itself and recognize missle threats at great distances. Miller realized it didn't directly attack him because it/Julie recognized him or his intentions.

Accepted, but books and TV are different media, and different things work in them. SciFi readers don't want love stories as much. Tender scenes don't play out as well in print either. I've made peace with screen adaptations being different, and more emotionally driven. Come to like it in fact.

If you want to read a pair of incredible books that The Expanse ripped its ideas from, pick up the "Firefall" series from Peter Watts. You will not be sorry.

She realized Miller was sacrificing himself just so she wouldn't have to die alone, and decided she loved him for it.

Honestly this whole scene was beautiful

Visually, yes, but that doesn't mean I'm not still salty about them forcing everything into a romance like they always do. I loved Miller's relationship with her before they ruined it.