/lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4180710/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496976
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1374738
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243483
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22044848
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4698595/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864
superfoodly.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/almond-plus-milk.jpg
ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2000/b12-deficiency-may-be-more-widespread-than-thought/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_counter_word
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

- Processed meattrash lowers sperm count

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4180710/

- Estrogen in milk lowers test and stops you developing into a real man

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496976

- Casomorphine in milk is addictive

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1374738

- Milk gives you acne

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243483

- Heme iron in red meat gives you esophageal and stomach cancer

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22044848

- Meat gives you colorectal cancer

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4698595/

- Vegan diet healthy for all stages of life

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

- Vegan B12

superfoodly.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/almond-plus-milk.jpg

- USDA: 40% of US flirting with B12 deficiency due to modern farming practices

ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2000/b12-deficiency-may-be-more-widespread-than-thought/

Been studying Finnish for about 2 months now, I can have very basic conversations and can understand somewhat what people tell me if it remains in simple vocabulary. Of course writing without mistakes remains difficult with all the cases and stuff but it's getting there.

if so many people are studying nipponese, why are so many animes still untranslated into English? Get working, you weeaboos!

Can anyone recommend me resources for Arabic? What dialect should I learn?

Is there an Sup Forums duolingo club?

blump since old thread is probably close to bump limit

best way to learn German words? there is so many of them.

>tfw halfway through learning German
>hope it doesn't become obsolete in the next 20 years

Do you guys know any resources for reading simple chinese texts? I just finished the HSK3 vocabularies, so it would be great if any of knew a website or a book, which has texts on this level.

>try to learn russian
>give up before I even get started

Clubs are only visible for specific languages, there's no duolingo-wide club. There would need to be a club for every language Sup Forums's studying on the app.

I'm sure theres people here that wouldnt mind if there was a club for each language.
(I'd join a German one if i wasnt using my real name on duolingo :^))

also, does Pimsleur German use polite speech for the entire damn time? I wanna hear "du" once in a while, i've had enough of "Sie"

Learning Portuguese right now, but having trouble finding good sources. This thread is the fucking mortherlode though, thanks cunt

Anyone here studied Esperanto? How was it?

Pimsleur doesn't leave enough time to talk. I can't even fit it in my own language sometimes let alone a new one.

I find myself pausing quite often. Im still too new to come up with sentences as fast as they want me to ;_;

Same. Michel Thomas tells you to pause it, Pimsleur I think we aren't supposed to. I think that's part of the idea, but, newer stuff I need more time (a pause). I've tried a few times to just roll with it but then I end up speaking over half the answer, or at the same time, as that isn't very helpful.

Egyptian is apparently the one to go for if you don't have a preference for any particular dialect.

Can someone explain if there is a difference between a Swedish ö and a German ö, for ex. in a word bög. Is it the same sound (ignoring the "ah" part that follows böahg)

JavaScript
It's shit

Piss-easy. Pointless. Latin is better and more useful.

Matlatzinca
Nitenithamineheta is laziness.

thanks for these

If you speak French, I got some of dem dank sources 4 u boi

Tell me about these language learning levels
How accurate is this chart and how long will it take me to get to russian a1 and a2

Lithuanian and Polish

Having fun with both; increased confidence with Lithuanian is improving my Polish learning as a result. No idea why it took me a decade to actually sit down and learn a language or two.

I read Der Spiegel or /deutsch/ and just copy down words I don't know and then make flashcards. It's been somewhat successful, wish I was speaking it somewhere

Why don't you post the imgur links anymore

Your health is more important

Been studying English for the GRE test.
Fucking hell, why is English vocabulary so confusing?

This chart is shit. Learning a language isn't about learning words.

How are you supposed to learn a language without knowing the words? The only way you learn is by understanding and creating meaning, thus words or rather word-stems is essential.

Of course learning words is a part of the process, but it's not essential enough to be used as a way to determinate the language level of a person.
Some people can have a quite reduced pool of vocabulary and still come up as fluent because they saw lots of people speaking the language and learnt how to imitate them so when they speak they always manage to answer. Meanwhile, some people will have an extended pool of vocabulary but will have a poor capacity to express themselves of to understand what a native speaker is saying because they lack the grammatical automatism of the language, it's usually true for university students who have to learn lists of vocabulary, do grammar exercise, but get less occasions to practice the speaking.

Anybody here learning/struggling with English?

I like talking to people from around the world and learning about different countries and culture. If you would like, I'd be glad to add you on Skype (text or voice) and help you practice your English. I've made ~10 friends from Sup Forums doing this before and still keep up with them after years of contact. (Besides, there are people who charge $35+/hour for Skype sessions and I'm offering it to you for free)

I don't care where you are from or if you're basically fluent; the only things I ask for is that you be able to speak more than like 4 words of English and are not a 50 year old pedo

Any takers hmu and I'll respond

>been enthusiastic about language learning since I was little
>learn handful of things about various languages throughout the years
>had conversations with people on the internet thru comment sections in French and Japanese, have a decent vocabulary in both languages
>still not good enough to feel comfortable having a real time conversation
>constantly think about what I'm saying when speaking/writing in English and how I would say it in target language, realize I usually don't have a fucking clue
>notebooks filled with self made practice lessons and shit
>not even close to being conversational in any language
>too afraid to initiate any conversation on hellotalk or a similar service because I don't want to make my conversation partner wait 30 minutes between each message while I look through a dictionary
I will always be a monolingual burger, I feel like such a fucking retard

Do you watch or read things in the language that you are learning ? also stop being autistic and find a cutie to practice texting in the language. Cause if you are trying that hard and still failing your method is lacking something.

I don't know whether to learn Japanese or Arabic. Japanese culture is interesting (muh anime) but something about Arabic is just neat. Keep in mind I speak English as a native language and speak Mandarin as well.

Does someone maybe know a way to make one start liking a language?

Specifically, I'm asking about spanish, I don't like the sound of the language, and I find no appeal in spanish or latin american culture. I have a reason to learn the language, but if I don't like it it's hard for me to get motivated.

wow, rude

I'm learning German right now. I'm on my way to Salzburg to study. I try to talk with /Deutsch/ but it always seems as soon as I make a spelling/grammar/article mistake, they'll start speaking very colloquial.
I want to shitpost with actual German speakers, but I get shit on whenever I post

Speaking as someone who has learnt a little of both:

Arabic will anally rape you, and not in a good way. The verbal stem derivations alone are mind-bending.

Are dialects any simpler than MSA?

To be honest, I don't know. I limited myself to Qur'anic Arabic. Maybe that was why I gave it up.

Why aren't you learning Hmong, user?

I've got the same problem user. Got a weak reason to learn Italian but i have no interest in the language or Italy.

no hay tiempo

int had a lang chat in telegram once, is it dead?

That's very nice of you, I also used to help someone with Spanish and even met in person

>i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, v i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon, i'll be back soon.

i'm so excited that I will be able to chat again with the lads... and practice my english at the same time

There is a discord, not sure what the link is but probably in the archive somewhere. I have no idea if it is active.

it's pretty active still

Where do you practice the languages you are learning? Are there any foreign posters in non-English forums and message boards other than the language forums? Is that even a thing? All good web content is in English anyway.

kek this partially answers my questionlearning anything other than english online is futile unless you have a chance to practice it irl
i didn't know krauts were such assholes

>russian
probably never 2bh

I have been learning French for a couple of weeks. Starting to recognize words in speech and songs. I just can't pronounce the nasal vowels though I tried to watch several videos for them they still seem alien to me especially the difference between in and en (for example: enfin). Maybe I'll get them later.

>especially the difference between in and en
We Québécois generally can't tell the difference either way French people say it, to our ears they say "enfant" and "enfin" the same. In fact, all of their vowels are practically the same, for example to our ears they also say "un" and "en" the same.

If nothing else, I hope that can cheer you up slightly.

yea I have been checking the pronounciation on an online vocabulary and some words have accented pronounciations like Quebec and some of them are way different than France's French. Also I read that Frenchmen in northern France dont care about the correct pronounciation as much as people in southern France.

Also it feels weird to say so much these small words like un, ans, en

But yeah French has been really fun language so far. I have started to notice some patterns in the speech and written text

I've actually met 7 or 8 people from Sup Forums and I rarely ever post here anymore lol.

Shame everyone here has perfect English

It's still there.Actually there are 2 groups.
If you have a telegram account send a message to @MrSkelly and @Sebastian0815 for each group

What's the difference between the two?

Are there any free/piratable audio books/CDs/whatever to help someone at an intermediate level learn German? Might as well do something while I drive and don't feel like listening to music

Any German podcasts, shows, or yt channels for listening practice that won't bore the shit out of you?

Here
Are you me

>yt channel
Easy German/Easy Languages
Davis Schulz i guess?
Just type in any movie/vidya/show and end it with Deutsch tb h

I'm subscribed to more russian youtubes i realized, now that i'm looking at my subscriber feed.

I still have problems pronouncing three.
Somehow this easy word is still hard for me after. It either is twee or tree.

Not him but touch the bottom of your top two teeth with your tongue and blow and follow it with "ree". I really don't get how central yurop struggles so much with that

>top two teeth
top middle two*

Wait, not central. You're west, right?

Anybody here looked at Romansch?
After learning a decent amount of French, I'd like to try another romance language.

Dutch does not have the thr sound.
Like how you guys have to learn a different r for Spanish or French.

I know you don't, neither does German. I just find it odd that people struggle with it so much even without it as a first language

Does anyone know of a site to search a Japanese word and get a list of all its counters? I’d rather have a way to immediately find the counter I need for a specific word than to have to scan a table of counters to find one. Is there anything like this? Or am I overestimating the number of counters, and an easier way to find them just isn't necessary?

Really sick of Brazilians telling me "como estás?" is Spanish.
Also sick of them asking me if I know Spanish.
Other than that they're pretty friendly and chill folk.

Qualquer um outro está a aprender português?

I think youre over estimating them.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_counter_word

All you really need in your day-to-day is in the common counters table. If you're in a pinch and cant remember the counter, you could also say #つの○○ (eg 3つの犬 instead of 犬3匹)

bump

The first is more vivid than the second. But both share the same purpose: find a user that speaks your target language and practise with him, post lang gains and share new lang sources (but in reality people end up just shitposting a lot)

>Go to polish Barber shop
>One of the Barbers sees me enter but doesn't know whether to approach me in Dutch or Polish
>I mutter"h-he-hello"
>He starts speaking in Dutch
>To autistic to ask him to speak Polish

Como estás is odd for most brazilians for 2 reasons.
Firstly, we use the verb "ir "to ask how someone is doing.Example: "Como vai?// Como vais?". I believe Portugal uses both verbs for greetings
Secondly although correct, the majority of brs are not used to be treated by the tu pronoun (Rio and São Paulo literally never use them, it's always "você") and when they hear you, imediatelly assume you're just another gringo who thinks Brazil speaks spanish rather than realise it's just "como tu estás?" which is plain good portuguese. Only northeners and southerners (and tugas) still use tu extensively
Good luck btw

Just found out my roommates are having a party with like 20 people from their uni. This is my chance to make some friends

Based.
Normie get out

>you will never be confident enough in another language to make friends

>confident enough in another language

Therein lies the joke: my German is like A1.25 ;_;
Apparently they all speak English though, so that's my in.

Do you have any specific questions about Romansch? I believe I can help

My textbook has gotten to the point of using "work and university administration" type of examples and I'm finding it so hard to care enough to actually put effort into the practice.

Gib mir motivation pl0x

Use your surrounding area to build up your vocabulary and speech fluency. Take today's lessons and apply them to the things around you. Something on your desk, in your drawers, on the PC...

What is the difference between г and х in Ukrainian?

What is the commonality? "P" is rolled, and "Х" is a simple "h". Pronounce "home" with an accented "h", feel the "stop" in your breath as your tongue hits your palate and you've hit the Slavic "h"

The 'г' is a 'g', is it not?

veganism is the way

You know, I saw the "г" there and thought it was an "r" letter...Now I see it's the "ge", which indeed in Ukrainian is "h"

In Russian, but in Ukrainian it is also h.

It kinda is in southern Russian, too, presumably also in Ukrainian.

> гopизoнт - horizon (with a 'h' sound)
> гepoй - hero (with a 'h' sound)

bump

Es gibt so viele Leute in diesem Chat, die Deutsch lernen wollen, aber niemand macht eine Anstrengung, um eine Gruppe zu bilden

How do you guy start when jumping in on a language?

Any decent beginner sites? How easy is it to practice? What did you do to learn it if you have? Any websites on it's history?