What was the point of this character?

what was the character of this point?

for filtering out the plebs like you who ask too many questions.

The characters point.... the characters point goes some ways.

DUDE RANDUM LMAO

lynch a shit

FLEX YOUR MUSCLES

The imagined strong-arm of a non-existent conspiracy. Amazing scene.

Rmeember when Michael Gira raped a woman and got away with it

Lmao

I SEE IT ALL

Whats your favorite Swans album?

Mulholland Drive was supposed to be the pilot for a TV show that never got made, so it's kinda pointless to speculate about its meaning.

Soundtracks for the Blind

YOUR NAME IS FUCK

You know those intensely confusing, unnerving and lovecraftian dreams you sometimes have during an uneasy night's sleep? I think this is where lynch gets most of his material and script ideas from, that and lots of drug abuse

He's just a device to inform Adam of the instructions. The reason it is a cowboy is because she was someone in the getup at the party at Adam's place in the "real world" and just needed someone to play the part.

Fun fact I realized on my latest watch: The reason the cowboy looks so plain is because Diane never sees the cowboy's face at the party, therefore can't project a face.

Everyone knows that you are fucked up
And everyone knows that I am fucked up
But, does everyone know
That you are more fucked up than me?
Well, I know that
And you know that
But our purpose is to tell everyone that
Take for instance the time
You went to the bathroom, to take a shower
You had soap, you had a towel, shampoo, washcloth, a brush
Everything was set
But you had to call me to come turn on the water for you
You didn't know where or how
That is one instance of how fucked up you are

NOW YOU BE THE MOTHER AND

Well now, you seem like a man who wants to get right down to it

Kafkaesque "every time you think you've seen the highest authority there's another one" scene, to unnerve the viewer and keep him on edge

reminded me of the pastor scene in the Proceß

Sometimes comes a buggy, yes?

heh

setup for a future plotline filmed back when it was meant to be a pilot for a television show.

Everything in the movie after the sex scene was shot 2 years later after ABC passed on it and Lynch decided to turn it into a movie.

He represents the forces behind decisions in Hollywood, i.e. who gets cast, what gets approved, etc.

SPACE CUNT

How many drivers does a buggy have?

nothing. the first half is everyone dreaming. the second half is naomi watts experiencing everything with the dreamers. the cowboy just appears in real life with no real purpose and is recreated in the dream as a mystery.

Neither half is a dream, the whole thing is made up and simply an extended treatise on Lynch's love-hate relationship with hollywood. The betty/rita part represents the clichéd optimism and wonder of moviemaking and the diane/camilla part represents the cynicism and distrust of what is and isn't "real" when nothing was real to begin with

The character is inside Diane's head, the one starts that start the conspiracy which leads to her downfall. I don't remember where she was from, but the early story is about country-girl coming to big city to meet her dreams. So it's easy to connect the cowboy as a childhood fear, trauma or something else.

best song they've made

So i've been having inland empire sitting on my backlog but then i heard it's insanely cryptic and frustrating and so i dabbled around at some time marks and this seems to be indeed the case

Will i regret watching it? Like for example lost highway was also frustrating on the first watch but still somewhat entertaining nonetheless

I heard inland empire gets real good the last 30 mins or so

is that really swans guy?

Where were his eyebrows?

*smooches u*

nope

literally who i thought of the second i saw this thread 10/10

he's driving the buggy. they made that pretty obvious.

The sex scene wasn't in the pilot either. No way a lesbian sex scene would have flown on 1999 network television.

THE SPIRIT OF HOLLYWOOD

BE STRONG

Apart from the coffee and cigarettes Lynch is straight-edge, It's Jodorowsky that films on acid and coke

DUDE THIS MOVIE IS WEIRD WHAT DRUGS WAS HE ON XD

More like Bull Ray Cyrus

There's no big meaning behind Inland Empire, just enjoy it and form your own interpretation

You can tell the difference as well. Lynch's dreamlike scenes are quite focused and have a definite point of entry and exit, where most of what you need to know is conveyed in the scene. Jodorowsky's dreamlike sequences are just utter madness, a mess of unintelligible red-herrings scattered with concrete symbolism that you have to decipher there and then to understand the scene.

I sorta like both ways, they each have there own strengths. I think my favourite use of symbolism in a Jodorowsky film was in the Dance of Reality, where the boy (jodo) find his friends hiding in a field rubbing wooden mushrooms together and showing them to each other - the boy takes out his own wooden mushroom from his pocket and starts rubbing it with them. It's plainly obvious what they're doing but it was a nice way of symbolizing it without being edgy.

I remember a Charlie Rose interview where David Lynch talked about seeing a therapist and as soon as talk of medication came up David asked him "Could this affect my capacity for creativity?" and the therapist said "I'm going to be honest, yes it could." and David shook his hand and walked out the door. I think his meditation stuff is what gives him his fix