Suicide in Greenland

Let's talk about suicide in Greenland.

>Suicide in Greenland is a significant national social issue. According to government reports, between 1/4 and 1/5 of Greenlanders attempt to kill themselves at some point in their lifetime.[1] Greenland also has by far the highest suicide rate in the world: reports between 1985 and 2012 showed that an average of 83 people in 100,000 committed suicide, more than twice the rate of the second placed country.

>Violent methods were used in 95% of suicide deaths.[5] The most common methods were hanging (46%) and shooting (37%);[5] other methods, such as jumping from heights, cutting with sharp objects, drowning, overdose of medication, and poisoning were also used, but less frequently.[9]

>Greenland is a geographically and culturally isolated nation, as well as one of the coldest and least populous countries in the world. Although facts like these may contribute to suicide-related issues, it is not clear if they have direct influences on Greenlandic suicides. Furthermore, different initiatives have been taken to reduce the suicide rate in the country, such as roadside posters

Why do they do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yiZCzZ9q1T4
youtu.be/d57g3N1bJuE
youtu.be/EwscS6MvDRg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cuz m8

Because its not green.

lack of vitamin D
lack of things to do
lack of life-giving diversity

Another suicidal country checking in..
Quite sure were the 4th ones in the world and 1st ones in europe

Isn't it related to the duration of days and nights?

Because the girls they loved broke their heart.

>Lives on an island literally covered with ice year-round
>wonders why they are depressed

(I am a Lithuanian poster blame the telecommunication company)

Why do you guys do it? Do you anybody who killed themself?

I heard that this is one reason, also it's not frowned upon and people don't think you're a weirdo if you kill yourself because it's so common, so they meme each other to death. It's sad

this 2bh

imagine living in Greenland but it's ice, meanwhile Iceland is green and full of volcanoes. such a head fuck I think I'd off myself too tbf

it's the grey skies and lack of sunlight. We have a similar problem here in the PNW

>get conned by Erik (((the Red))) into settling an arctic wasteland that he named "Greenland" in one of the most notorious cases of false advertising in world history.
>be so salty about it that over a thousand years later your descendants still kill themselves over it in a fit of self-loathing and rage.

>83 people in 100,000
>in 100,000
>100,000
>greenland population : around 50,000

In other news - 41 people committed suicide in Greenland.

>Alcoholism
>Drug use
>Rampant child molestation
>Violence
>Months with no sun

Take your pick. But to be fair the most greenlanders i've met have been genuinly nice open-hearted people who likes to laugh, so really feel bad for the troubles Denmark in large part have caused the greenlanders.

But why? Does it fuck with people's head that much? Do they go crazy because of it or just get depressed and say fuck it?

I know 2 people who killed themselves.. Pretty much everyone in the family has had friends who did it.

Greenland is basically Ice Mordor its very boring there not much to do.

Maybe it's too green?

High rates of unemployment

OP here, I guess I would be depressed too, here are their biggest cities.

>lack of vitamin D
Its because of lack of sunlight.
We have those problems also. And the weather is to blame peticually overcast making everything gray for many months. I really HATE it!

Tell me about Uzbekistan. I've always found Central Asia fascinating.

i live in northern BC and the lack of sunlight during the winter is bad enough here. get up, its dark. go to work in the dark, work all day, get home, its dark.

depressing as fuck.

9 of my close friend have commited suicide. I have yet to hear about a suicide this year. Maybe I just don't bother anymore, maybe there hasno't been one, I don't know

I thought sunlight exposure is a factor why this happens. Since Greenland is near the north pole, it is expected that they have less daytime

Light just has a big impact on your mood and energy levels. Where I live the worst time in December it's just bright outside during 9.00-15.00 or so, if you have NEET sleeping pattern basically you never see sunlight. Imagine being a week in a dark room, that'll cheer you up. It's also scientifically proven light affects depression, some places have rooms with bright lamps to offer some remedy.

How and why did they do it ? Do you live in one of the "big" towns or a small one? How big was their town? Have you had success dating QT's or are there no grills there?

>urbanfag
kill yourself, you're a disgrace to all true americans

I live in a small town and I like it, I was just saying that if those are the "biggest" then most people must live in tiny ass communities with no opportunities

Taking away the natural ways of man has its repercussions. Death to modern society.

Because Greenland is full of Ice and Iceland is full of green.

>Not knowing anybody who killed themselves

look at this damn burger over here

I can't answer in their behalf, obviously. I think all the reasons OP included are pretty valid, he only lacks that maybe it's (was) a part of our culture. Victim mentality, and lack of hope also what the Dane said about abuse. Naturally it's a pretty harsh place to live in, especially if you're raised here. I can understand it doesn't bother newcommers that much, they spend up to 3 years and rarely ever decide to get old here.

Born and raised in Ilulissat, which at some point were the 'suicide capital'

My wife's a beaut, lived with two other qt's during puberty too. There are qt's, but they're rare. It depends on your taste, really. I like the non-Kalaallit looking ones.

is that something common over there?

Sadly it's the weather

The place looks fucking miserable. Winters here are miserable enough and for Greenland my typical winter experience is on par with their very best Summer days. There's nothing to explore, nothing to do, the high culture of the 21st century barely graces their existance at all and they are irrelevant on the world stage aside from playing host to some ice core drilling scientiests and a military base.

It's these people that should be given refugee asylum preference over all those rapefugees.

yes. Why do you think we eat so damn many anti depressants?

More people kill themselves than die from car accidents (maybe its because we bicycle so much?).

I know my dad tried to jump from a bridge but the cops catched him, so it doesn't count i guess.

I had a family member who lives in Yellowknife who tried to kill himself.

It's super depressing to live way up north. Dark 24/7 for a good portion of the year, nothing to do, nowhere to go.

The infertile environment without any trees and only few plants and dark winters is easy to blame. But if you're born in such environment you are used to that and it's perfectly normal. And if you have dark winters you also have summers blasting light 24/7. Probably the reasons are just like in any other countries, unemployment, futurelessness, drug abuse, depression-inclined culture.

I go weeks without being anywhere near daylight, I've gone months with no sunlight. I wonder if some people are just immune to depression? Because I don't care at all, and I actually kind of hate the sun.

>There's nothing to explore, nothing to do
I have to disagree with you on that one. There's lots of explore. Get a boat, take a walk. There aren't that much to explore in towns, that's true. Travel, sail a boat, hunt.

Tuurngaits.

Maybe the freezing cold climate and being so dark all winter contributes to chronic depression...but I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. Just a guess.

Is weed available in Greenland?

Fuck, you guys can just work 4 days per week and then spend 3 days in fucking untouched nature high as fuck.

Literally my retirement dream.

Eh, it's hard when you realize what life is like outside of the far north.

My cousin lived in Alberta for a few years, getting his degree. He then had to go back to the NWT for 5 years so he didn't have to pay his tuition under NWT's grant program.

When he went back to Yellowknife, shit got bad, he got really depressed and tried to kill himself. Now he's a child mentally and has seizures all the time.

>untouched nature

ah yes how wonderful!

Oh you are from a warm nice country and have no idea how its like to live in real raw nature? Mate Greenlandic nature is beautiful but rough and cruel.

They're mostly natives and natives just sniff gas and die of boredom

>Is weed available in Greenland?
It is. But no hard drug, cocaine or whack have you, hash is pretty easy to get a hold of.

whoa rare flag. Ive seen so much weird shit but Ive never seen Uzbekistan

Stop betraying Kublai Khan you fucking turkic mongol rapebaby

live there for a year or two and you'll know

Are you white or Inuit

Because Greenland is shit and its native population are drunk fuckers.

It's mostly natives. Natives here have high suicide rates also

Inuit

Are either Danes or Inuit discriminated against in some way in Greenland?

humans are fucking weird

t. drunk spurdo

Iirc Inuit are 90%+ of the pop.

Inuit/Kalaallit, Greenalnders prefer Kalaallit, some prefer Inuit. It's basically the same.

What I've learned is kalaallit aren't that keen on Danes coming here for work and staying months or years and are payed more than kalaallit/inuit.

I know some who are against Danes, but what they have in common is, they're cringy potheads that won't do anything with their lives.

that's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

It sounds like there are some terrible cultural problems in Greenland. How much of it do you think is a result of being dragged into the 21st century?

Many native peoples seem to culturally struggle from modernisation.

To be honest, I do not think about the cause of the suicides, I think it's pointless. Not to say there aren't any organization that try to prevent them, it's just my personal stand on it. Teachers and parents always come up with reasons why there are so many, I'd rather just listen to any reasons. Perhaps it's adapting to the 21st century, perhaps it's the alcoholic/abusive parents fault, maybe it's a personal choice.

>Many native peoples seem to culturally struggle from modernisation.
That's true, and many of them rather drink and sob over loss and have no courage/will to move on. Again, I'd rather have nothing to do with them, it seems like the only option for me is listen whenever possible because I feel like giving advice is useless and/or can turn into enabling, somehow.

I think they should import migrants that will make them multicultural and therefore happier

>he had more friends who suicided than you had friends overall

wew

They wanted to do that, but we said no thanks.

Come to Denmark and drink beer all day my friend we will pay you and your friends drinking party.

I live in Southern California and I hate this place

Everyday it's hot as fuck, everything is dry and dead, I just want to move to Northern Canada or UK or something.

I love rain but I never get to see it here

Sounds good, Danebro but I can't stay out all night, I have a family now. Might move and live in Denmark for a few years, we'll see.

F-fredric?

Is that you?

Naa, sumioq?

>One of these two posters will kill themselves at some point.

My associates and I are planning to make greenland great again.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I get horribly depressed during winter in Iowa. I couldn't imagine living in a place like that.

Bahamas
Not sure u truly know what cold is

>life giving diversity

Kill yourself cuck.

The best explanation I've heard is that when you know someone who has killed thenselves you're like twice as likely to lull yourself. If 1/4 people kills themselves then it stands to reason at least 2/4 probably are thinking a lot about it

Nid haan ikko

Unani errona septana

Come to Copenhagen you can chill with your people.
youtu.be/yiZCzZ9q1T4
youtu.be/d57g3N1bJuE
youtu.be/EwscS6MvDRg

Kek, I saw drunk kalaallit last year in Aarhus they were always by Klostertorvet

Do you know the current Hash price in your city right now?

In Nuuk 100-200 DKK. No idea about the size. I bought some in Denmark 3 or 5 gram for 300 DKK, so I imagine it's almost half the amount.

A little smaller up north, no idea about the prize. I smoke once a year, so don't take my word for it I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to drugs.

Who in the world has 9 friends? Better yet who in the world has 9 friends who are also all suicidal?

Greenland is a depressingly social.

From age 11 to 26. You guys never made friends? How do you survive?

I'd like to live there if they weren't relative commies compared to FREEDOM.

they are similar to native americans I guess
Iike getting a bit drunk and killing themselves

Where do you think you are man? Most Sup Forumsacks have few friends.

uh adults basically treat everyone like a friend until they fuck up or they are ugly

>kys
why, maybe they never experienced drugs and pussy. world could be pretty dark without those

I stopped befriending people too. It's wiser to be selective of your friends.

What kind of wild game is there in Greenland? Are there rabbits and caribou there?

Yet you don't see me contemplating suicide

Well spoken, Flabbababbawabbajabbanyoongah.

Likewise.

Ever consider leaving Greenland? Or do you plan on staying there forever?

>Ever consider leaving Greenland? Or do you plan on staying there forever?
questions like this probably induce suicidal thoughts in young Greenlanders

I have no plans. Currently working 10-12 hrs a day, saving up without a certain purpose. We'll see what that leads to. My wife has been talking about traveling, but I'm kinda scared of ticking time bombs all over Europe.

Yes.

Because every white woman in Greenland is fucking non-whites and so white men are killing themselves.

Holy fuck, and considering the amount of territory they have... well, no wonder.

I certainly don't see myself living in a country where the population is so small and sparse.