How does Sup Forums feel about Denis Villeneuve...

How does Sup Forums feel about Denis Villeneuve? How do you feel about the fact that he's been landing all these high profile scifi movies? He's obviously a feminist panderer; I didn't really notice this in Sicario (which I enjoyed) but I definitely did in Arrival. He's got plenty of chops though. Thoughts?

>He's obviously a feminist panderer
Kill yourself.

Villeneuve is a miserable hack whose movies are propped up entirely by Deakins meme cinematography which gets the r/movies and IMDB pleb crowd all hot and bothered. It is the death knell of Cinema. One of the biggest trashmasters working today, a hack's hack. This is hot pocket the director. Cheeto dust: the man.

His flicks are a bad joke; an insult to the filmic medium; a gob of spit aimed at all that is good and great about filmmaking.

kek triggered

lol savage

>How do you feel about the fact that he's been landing all these high profile scifi movies?
After seeing him deliver on a genre film like Arrival I think Blade runner and Dune may be great.

reddit btfo

he's a classic "thinking man"'s director like Nolan
not actually cinematically interesting at all - he won't be remembered in 100 years, but a wide range of people who think their taste is sophisticated enjoy his work
"He's got plenty of chops though." What does that mean? As long as you don't have to say anything substantial to get people to agree with you it's fine, right?

Who you callin' a hack? :^)

Arrival made me laugh, I wouldn't call him a good director

>whose movies are propped up entirely by Deakins meme cinematography which gets the r/movies and IMDB pleb crowd all hot and bothered
absolutely agree with this part

I feel like he's doing what Nolan is trying to do.
I'm worried about all these big franchise movies he's signing onto though, I wish he would keep doing original stuff.

Enemy > Prisoners > Arrival > Incendies > Sicario

>Arrival better than Sicario

i liked it better when no one knew who he was around here and everyone agreed that he was 10/10

now its all contrarian for contrarian's sake

Your mother is a feminist panderer

>having female characters in your movie is feminist pandering

you do realize he's made a point of equating men with violence in every single movie hes made and focusing on le strong female characters?

But Emily Blunt's character in Sicario wasn't that strong and fucked up all the time.

I think you're just trying to see patterns

keep telling yourself that, pleb. He has always been popular and he is a really bad director. If you think otherwise you probably don't watch a lot of movies

Spoken like a pleb that hasn't even seen his films. I guess the crazy lady at the end of prisoners was just a man in drag all along right?

Literally hasn't made a bad movie

Doesn't matter, she was "resilient" against the patriarchy

terrible taste

>Doesn't matter, she was "resilient" against the patriarchy
>literally gets cucked in her own apartment and forced to sign away her values and then just to demonstrate just how much he owns her he doesn't even go for his gun when she points a gun at him
yeah, no

If you think Arrival had any sort of message related to sex politics you're probably just looking for axes to grind.

Not everything's about the things you like to argue about on the internet, you're just letting your own habits get generalized to everyone.

I really really do not understand why Sup Forums is raging on this movie so hard. I thought the core message and emotional part of it worked really well unlike Interstellar for example which started good (cooper watching the monitor) but couldn't bring it together fully at the end. And on top of that, here we have a movie that doesn't go for the alien invasion but opts for something more akin to Contact. The ayys were cool as well and hte idea for their language was neat. The movie looked great as well, and the military people going berserk and it all leading to abig misunderstanding was also downplayed. I really don't get the hate. It's like you people don't know how to pick your battles. Out of all the shit to complain about you complain about this? It's always a small miracle when movies like these get financed that don't sequel bait or go for action.

Hack.

>mfw plebs like you shit on based Villeneuve
Reminder the God of Sup Forums loves Villeneuve.

Sicario is ultra-mysogynistic. Not sure how you didn't get that.

Same thing happened with Nolan

You all can whine and cry about him, but fact is that he is yet to make a bad movie.

Fact is that he is currently one of the most hard working directors in the industry, making one movie a year from 2009 and not one flop.
Every single movie he made is atleast above average, successful in the box office and critically acclaimed.
He was successful before Deakins, and Deakins didn't make Arrival and it's still praised for it's cinematography by Bradford Young.
His technicalexecution is nearly flawless and you can't make a single argument against his execution of films besides "I don't like the narrative".
Fact is that he is currently one of the most sought out directors in the game and that is really your only problem with him.

Admit it, you hate the people who praise his work more than you hate Villeneuve himself.

>Villeneuve
>feminist panderer
He's one of the few modern directors who DOESN'T blatantly pander to feminists. Sicario's female protagonist was like a subversion of the "stronk independent womyn" trope, she was cruelly used and ultimately didn't accomplish much. Arrival's female protagonist was a fairly normal person who embraced motherhood and she needed Jeremy Renner's help to figure out the alien language.

GTFO Korinefag
Go jerk off to Spring Breakers

I'm assuming the "you" wasn't a singular "you" since I didn't really say much about it.

Totally without commenting on the movie's quality one way or the other, it fits pretty cleanly into one of the Sup Forums-will-hate-it slots.

It was pretty widely celebrated by this board when it came out but is also celebrated by critics so there's no contrarian vibe to be shown by supporting it, it's apolitical so there's no journalists to piss off by liking it, it's not memeable, etc.

holy shit
will the reddit numales ever recover?

Why do you keep responding to yourself?

the only female character in Prisoners spends the entire movie laying in bed crying.

Fincher for grad students

Basically...

and I'm a fan

Sicario had 1 womyn are stronk scene; where Blunt manages to kill that Mexican policeman who was trying to get the drop on her.
The rest was her getting blown up, shot, beaten and overpowered by literally every man she stepped up to. Even the scene at the end where she sucker punches the CIA officer leads to him immediately kicking her shit in.

Lobed Sicario. Won't bother watching his other movies because the plots sound pretty boring.

Sicario was good because of taylor sheridan
Arrival was good because of the adapted screenplay of a prize winning story.

the rest of his films are terrible.

lmao

incendies and enemy were his best films and weren't even done by deakins

I think only scicario and prisoners were deakins

out of what I've seen

9/10
Incendies
Sicario
Prisoners

6/10
Enemy

3/10
Arrival

Best working director right now. Cant wait for Bladerunner strictly because of him.

He's an absolute master of building tension and maintaing that tension throughout his films.

I respect him

Arrival's screenplay was so shit, how he can make a workable movie out of that just proves hes talented.

Also listen to him speak in the DGA roundtable versus the other directors, he clearly knows a lot more than them but Jenkins and Chazelle are both new hacks.

Incendies is his worst film what the fuck are you on, shitty craft, ebin plot twist, out of place radiohead song. Plus denying that he made a name with Prisoners is just delusional, and a big part of that movie is Deakins

Arrival made a far bigger impact in his career in mainstream circles and Deakins had nothing to do with that, giving him his first nomination

Prisoners flew under the radar and was well liked here on Sup Forums but also ignored mostly like Incendies, Enemy were.

actually incendies was his first oscar nom forgot

Denis Villeneuve is the best director working.

>seemingly harmless old lady is the evil mastermind
>casually kills heaps of bodyguards and headshots a whole family without aiming in 1.5 seconds

Try watching some real films