Is there any movie that didn't end up at least slightly worse by the presence of children as core characters?

Is there any movie that didn't end up at least slightly worse by the presence of children as core characters?

Pic related probably could have been a solid two stars higher if it was like the book and just followed a single man and his journey meeting other survivors. Rewatching this movie after 10 years nearly made me pop a blood vessel. I don't think I've ever been so legitimately 'annoyed' by a set of characters before in a film. Are there even any worse examples?

This looks like it will be worse.

>The young character will be autistic and contribute to the fight against the predator with his “preternatural ability” for language acquisition.

Is that...gonna be a Predator movie? As in, the PREDATOR Predator? What the flying fuck?

If it were any other child actor besides Dakota Fanning you might have a point. Her and that kid from the Sixth Sense are probably the only decent actors under the age of 10 I've ever seen.

Now the teen aged son was annoying, I'll give you that one though.

Yeah. That's the cast. The plot is something like
>ex-Marine fights Predators and keeps alium metal fragment
>give metal to son
>divorced
>Predator wants metal back
>ex-Marine has to stop Predator before he reaches his son and kills him, his ex wife and his ex-wife's boyfriend

>I don't like this movie because and I blame it on this on this one attribute of the protagonist that I specifically cannot relate to
Okay.

>Child Predator

This. Dakota Fanning did a great job in her role esp considering her age, the older teen boy character was written poorly and the actor was just mediocre.

The teen boy character, actor and plot points were the worst part about the movie, but the whole movie just got dumb and bogged down halfway through.

Honestly I found her to be the worst. It wasn't so much their acting ability, but their presence in the film as a whole. They literally only existed to whine. As obnoxiously as possible, and to generally make Cruise's character's life more hell than the Martians did.

Just the retarded levels of mistrust and daddy issues in the middle of a genocidal alien invasion, the constant combativeness, the constant REEEEEE-ing from the little girl, and the exaggerated teenaged angst from the boy. It was just too fucking much. Maybe if they had dialed it back a bit, to Battle: Los Angeles levels, it would have been way more tolerable, but they went full retard and doubled down on the archtypes like they were trying to score oscar points with an alien invasion flick or something. It was laid on so thick it actively detracted from the movie.

Which is pretty bad considering they're there for 90% of it.

The only people that can relate to that family don't spank their kids.

Christ that's fucking dumb. Did we just rewind to early 90's Steven Seagull-type action movies?

those movies were better than the new pc era movies

Not by much. I mean the cheesy machismo was nice but the plots, dialogue, and star wars style '500 million soldiers shooting at a protagonist they just can't hit before flopping around from pyrotechnics'-action scenes were kind of fucking awful.

I liked her, and I genuinely found the story of Tom Cruise trying to protect his daughter in this apocalyptic scenario as very empathetic. The teen aged son could have been handled better, but what they did with the daughter worked well in my opinion.

They draw attention from the situation, and lean too heavily into some awkward soap opera, that just happens to take place during an alien invasion, in my opinion. If they had been handled realistically, it wouldn't have been a problem, but the characters were engineered to be obnoxious and overly emotional, especially in their combative as fuck relationship with the father, where they seemingly defy any and all sense of urgency and the most basic, primitive levels of self-preservation.

>I was beat as a child because my gene line is full of horrible people from birth to death
Okay.

Ruh roh, guess we found the faggot raised by hippy parents. Are you a tranny too? Fuck out of here. Beating your kids when they behave like shits has been the standard of parenting throughout the entire human existence as the easiest way to make them grow into non-douchebags.

If the kids in this movie got beat once in a fucking while, maybe they'd have actually listened to their father, and in turn, avoided half the retarded situations the entire family was put through as a result. The fact that the father never slapped the piss out of his son at any point of the movie was less believable than the damn martians.

>entire post is about how much you enjoyed being hit as a child

lmao

This movie sucked. One of Cruise's few misfires.

>there are people who actually enjoy Dakota Fanning's awful screeching

Bugsy Malone.

The NeverEnding Story

Home Alone/2

>IS IT THE TERRORISTS?!