Are there any movies that match Alien, in terms of instilling dread?

Are there any movies that match Alien, in terms of instilling dread?

The Exorcist

Pitch Black

it follows

2001: A Space Odyssey

Event Horizon

Fuck that obelisk and it's music

Blair witch project

Enemy, if you're looking for a recent one.

I so wish I hadn't been spoiled on most of Alien's plot points before seeing it. Not knowing what the face hugger was doing, and the chest bursting scene would have been fucking incredible. As well as the Ash twist.

I still loved it though. I guess it's probably near impossible to go into it without being spoiled these days because it is so iconic.

First half of Event Horizon is literal kino.

Second half is pure garbage

Flight of the Navigator.

Misery

I dream about Alien almost every night.
Have done for most of my life.
Wat does it mean Sup Forums?

Rosemary's Baby

the witch

The Thing.

can you imagine seeing it w/o spoilers and having the theater cut out the chestburster scene?

some dipshit theater owner did this in its original run after too many people ran out and puked in the theater bathrooms after that scene

sauce: dan o'bannon

Deliverance is pretty damn terrifying because of how grounded in reality it is. I wish more horror movies were like that.

went to a screening of that a few months ago, had never seen it before

have to say the creature effects really stand up well, they are fucking gruesome

13 Going on 30

>Seeing The Thing for the first time in a cinema
Nigga I'm jealous.

kek. I can just picture the dude working hours extra cleaning up vomit every night and finally taking a pair of scissors to the film reel in a fit of anger.

Not exactly on par with Alien, but Bone Tomahawk and Green Room are both good for dread. Also their gore is genuinely sickening if you're into that sort of thing.

Bone Tomahawk's suffers from a low budget.

best answers, with emphasis on rosemary's baby.

>Bone Tomahawk's suffers from a low budget.

Its effects? I didn't notice any glaring issues. Do you mean anything in particular?

WALL-E

>sense of dread

The Road easily surpasses Alien in this regard.

Apocalypse Now
The Shinning
The Thing
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway
True Detective
The Witch