Hidden Niggas

Just saw Hidden Figures, and I'm curious in regards to how faithful the adaptation of the lead characters were in the film.

The handling of the characters and plotting felt convenient and artificial to me. As someone who had no prior knowledge of the story before viewing, the main trio seemed to handle every matter flawlessly, and every adversity or tribulation they faced in the film was influenced solely by external factors (segregation, deficient women's rights, race, etc.). Not one of their failings were derived from an inherent flaw they possessed.

Ultimately it seemed to be a product of weak writing to conveniently illustrate the leading lady's as geniuses who were truly above and beyond. I'd be really surprised if they happened to be as proficient in real life as they were depicted in the film, as it was not convincing to me in the slightest.

Also, Glenn Powell should play Aiden Gillen in his inevitable biopic.

Other urls found in this thread:

historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/hidden-figures/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought this movie looked like a decent character drama.

I'm basically just going to assume it's a message movie with Kevin Costner and that the important thing is they overcome prejudice to work together.

How right would I be?

>we need those strong empowered black women to get our astronauts into space.
Protip : in real life these women had a role more akin to that of a secretary. Real mathematician came up with the equations and they had rooms full of women double-checking the math.

This is thoroughly portrayed in the film

It's not. They try really hard to portray them as geniuses without whom none of it could have been possible, when really they were fairly replaceable.

Yeah pretty much. Whites in the film are ridden with flaws and drop the ball on almost everything they engage with, save for John Glenn's character, who sympathises with the Black women at NASA.

Blacks are God-tier at everything in the film.

Well they are technically geniuses.

I can't do stachastoic calculus, can you?

>they are technically geniuses
They're nothing of the sort. They were educated women, for sure, but first, double-checking someone else's math is not the same as coming up with the math yourself, and second it's "stochastic" calculus, and it only requires you to use integrals, which is within every retard's reach if you take the time to study it.

Apparently NASA was fully desegregated at the time the films events unfolded.

There were no color-segregated bathrooms at NASA.
The characters that were mean to the black employees were fictional: they didn't exist.
They didn't "invent" the math, and it existed since newton.
Katherine Johnson is a blue-eyed quadroon who is nearly white.
She said everyone at NASA was really nice to her.
These women worked in teams with hundreds of people, and did nothing by themselves.

In short: it is pretty vile propaganda to make white look mean, dumb, and inferior.

I suspected this was the case. I can't imagine why NASA would care about having like seperate fucking bathrooms etc.

Whatever, it's a movie about race and overcoming prejudice.

Obviously this isn't The Right Stuff

I can derive an equation for the volume of a sphere using integrals. Then I can hand you the resulting equation (V=4/3pir^3). Are you a genius for plugging numbers into my equation?

Hint: the final equation is taught to 12yo kids.

This is mostly propaganda and downright historically false in some parts.
In the movie:
>Johnson: can I come to the briefing?
>Evul White Devil: NO. NO GIRLS ALLOWED THAT'S NOT PART OF THE PROTOCOL
>Johnson, demonstrating insane sass and dignity: But le sending men into space isn't part of the protocol either is it? *winks at camera*
>Evul White Devil: GOT DANG I GOT GOT BY THIS SASSY INDEPENDENT BLACK GODDESS WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN.

Real life:
>Johnson: Can I come to the briefing?
>Boss: Uuuh, I don't know, usually women don't attend?
>Johnson: But it's not against the rules though?
>Boss: Nah, alright you can come.

Pretty much every instance of racism in the film was made up. In reality Johnson said she was treated as a peer while working there.

Colour me surprised...

Nothing appeared convincing, nor rooted in reality in the film. If what you listed is all true then that's a pretty fucking abysmal thing of the filmmakers to do. I did sense a racial agenda seeping through the film in places, with the majority of the segregation scenes serving no function to the characters or the narrative, resulting in being nothing but a contrived way of diminishing whiteys.

I lost count over how much black sass the main characters spouted throughout the runtime. It was so fucking obnoxious.

>the movie was made for the black female demographic.

Is that necessarily WRONG?

At the expense of lazy storytelling and spreading misinformation about a tumultuous and significant period in American history? I think it is.

Reminder that racial tensions are higher now than during the Jim Crow era, and when we desegregated blacks went to hell.

I really thought Obama would heal this. Instead, he made it 100x worse.

There is no healing it. There's solid data showing that multiracial & multicultural societies have worse outcomes than ethnically homogeneous ones.

When you pander to any one group it's at the expense of another, because groups compete for territory and resources. Obama was the black pander present. Trump is now the white pander president. The more diverse the nation becomes the more our politics will be a racial power struggle.

Actually there isn't. The data points to the exact opposite which is that societies with vertical and horizontal bridging have longer term resilience and are less susceptible to crisis. Homogeneous societies are highly vulnerable to systemic changes in the socio-economic order.

Bullshit. The Putnam and Rushton studies have never been refuted with honest methodology.

Historically your assertion doesn't pass the shit test, either. Empires collapse when they reach some peak of diversity. Racial tensions in America are only increasing as we approach plurality. In pretending current trends lead to more crisis resilience you must ignore the crises that are actually happening.

good thing America is not an Empire fuckhead.

Also PROVE that statement about diversity causing national decline. You cannot.

Nice attempt to cite Putnam, I'm guessing you're not going to mention an actual study, nor will you do so with Rushton. Not like your cherry picked name drops regarding your fucking IQ racism has anything to do with cultural resiliency and immigration.

continue being a moron faggot.

Not doubting your claim but could you give sources?

this poltarded mental reject is writing a long reply right now hoping to justify his vile pseudoscience racism.

Don't be an ideologue. Open minds learn, closed minds get indoctrinated.
Wait for his response.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

Just remember, the right is doing well because the left is denying everyday people's experiences. Calling people who point out problems with immigration and black society racists is incredibly counterproductive.

I have interest only in the truth, I have no time for buffoonery from any ideology.

You're not though, you're calling it like you've been conditioned to call it. There are studies on both sides of the Atlantic now that show that as communities get more diverse, social cohesion gets worse. As European I can only hope that the US ends up serving as a cautionary tale before it's too late.

These studies that speak of, cite them.

The burden of proof lies on the one making the counterintuitive claim.

Also, no one mentioned IQ. You're so angry you're practically incoherent.

They wait to everybody involved in the real events being dead to realize this artifact of fake history.

FAKE BIOPIC.

I'll just wait while you present your studies.
As someone who claims to have studies that demonstrate that immigration causes social decline, I expect you've thoroughly researched the matter, and are prepared to present copious evidence backing your case.

Your effort to use the burden of proof fallacy has already failed, laughably, since you cannot prove a negative. Therefore, YOU must provide evidence supporting the case that you are making. I can present many many studies that support my claim that social cohesion is improved in the long term by immigration, and indeed, that diversity ultimately strengthens society in the long term.

Coherent enough for you?

Ok, accept that immigrants and blacks use a very high amount of social services and commit crimes far out of proportion to demographics, even compensating for family income.

Adding blacks to a public school increases incidents of bullying, violence and lowers test scores.

Now, you already know this, but you want increased immigration because.....ideology.

Did you freak out? Did you call me a racist? Or did you say, "Yeah, those people who are angry might have reasons"?

I'm not sure what srawman argument I should respond to. Could you rephrase your comments so that they reflect an actual argument rather than some kind of thought experiment.

Given the migration crisis, it's a race to see which continent becomes the example first.

Here you go:
historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/hidden-figures/
This site is run by a black woman.

I think he is pointing out cognitive dissonance.

I already named two authors of very famous studies that anyone can google. You are free to cite counterstudies. I'm not going to write a thesis summary of their work on Sup Forums at 6AM MST.

Is there a white savior?

no, but there are fictional characters put in the movie for the sole reason to be big meanie white evil rayceests

I just googled the question myself. Apparently the white guy who fought for one of the women to go to the white restroom and the same guy who allowed her in the mission control room was entirely made up. So yes there is in a way lol. Typical

Jim Parsons and Kirsten Dunst's characters are entirely made up to "reflect the social climate of the times".

Am I the only one who thinks that this is appalling in biopics? I know Pain & Gain merged three characters from the real life accounts into one character, akin to Kevin Costner's character in Hidden Figs. What's the fucking point of crafting a film based on a real life scenario if you're going to contort key players from the events like that? It completely diminishes the purpose of the biopic.

>nasa only exists because of female nigs