Why wasn't Neon Demon nominated for any Oscars?

Why wasn't Neon Demon nominated for any Oscars?

it was too patrician for mainstream audience

Because she wasn't lead.

You have to be part of inner Hollywood mafia club.

Outsiders like Refn who self fund movies outside big studios are seen as outsiders and hence not worthy of free recognition.

Deserves:

Best Director

Best Cinematography

Nomination for Soundtrack

Best Hair and Make up

Best supporting actress - Jena Maloni

the age of pedo kino was the late 70s early 80s

pretty baby
taxi driver
blue lagoon

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTT

Probably because no one in the academy even watched the movie. Im more upset The VVitch didn't get a nomination.

they didn't watch 12 years a slave either

It was a shit movie, like everything refn makes

realizing how bad he is at making a compelling movie is a genuine red pill

Anyone else here huge fan of Refn but disappointed by the neon demon?

I didn't even really care for the visuals to be quite honest senpai

Fuck off plebs

because it's shit
if you're going to have a strong visual content dont half ass it, this movie was bland as fu k

>a film like LalaLand gets nominated
>Neon demon doesnt

Guess why.

Fuck you nigger

Ogf is one of my favorite movies and I absolutely hated neon demon.

>Fan of Refn
>Not caring about visuals

It's like ordering a full meal only for the free refill

>tfw you will never be that basketball

Because it's garbage in literally every aspect.

I was glad she won

tfw no abbey gf

No like i said.

I care about visuals. Visuals are the most important part of filmmaking because film is a visual medium.

I said that i didn't think the visuals in Neon demon was especially good. It was pretty but nothing hit me like some scenes in his other films. (especially Ogf and Fear x)

He said he didn't care FOR the visuals - as in he was unimpressed by The Neon Demon.

me too, I love visual movies and i'm a really big fan of refn's work, but i didn't ND interesting. Even the visuals were a bit too simple and boring

this, the visuals weren't as interesting as in other Refn flicks

Is it an actually good movie or are you guys praising it for some meme reason? It seems to not have been well received by neither critics nor the normies. Give me a reason to watch this.

Fuck, it was really bland

It's his best movie. It's better than Drive and OGF

John Wick 1 has better lighting, cinematography, acting, music, dialogue, plot, direction, than the neon demon.

I watched them both quite closely to one another and since they both have flashy club lighting and Keanu I couldn't help but compare them. I expected to have the opposite response to each.

Why was Neon Demon such a travesty? Perhaps literally one of my most disliked films.

pleb, it's easily one of his worst

Drive was good, OGF was shit lol.

Winding Refn
Elle
Keanu saying "real lolita shit"
Visuals / music are top notch

This looks way too edgy for me

this

>It's his best movie
that may be true, but all of his movies are fucking terrible and I hope he dies

it really is, please dont watch it, dont waste your time

This. The movie is just Sup Forums's movie. Definitive kino.

what about Bronson? Always been curious about that one but never watched it.

Sup Forums worst board

it's actually pretty good. Watch it, and dont waste your time with ND

Bronson shits all over ND, they can't even be compared.

I'm aaalmooost tempted to say it beats Drive to be his best movie, but it's a bit lacking in visual style.

lacking in visual style? Are you crazy?

Whilst the scenes in the theatre are excellent, a lot of the scenes in reality have somewhat flat lighting in an attempt to show normal england.

>There are redditors in this thread RIGHT NOW who can see Elle's face and still call Neon Demon's visuals bad

How far is that thing up her...
I mean look at it.
That must hurt.

>dude, hallucinating for no reason lmao

Because it was shit

>good visual style=wacky colored lighting

>reddit

Yes, explicitly and repeatedly calling her beautiful was just one more nail in the coffin for this film being unwatchable trash.

I didn't say it was bad, but there's not one shot or scene that really sticks out in my head in terms of visuals, like with Drive.

> there's not one shot or scene that really sticks out in my head in terms of visuals
well that's your problem. You dont know what good visuals are

Look at his particular films with the context of his life and you'll see that when he was in financial struggle he made conventional masterpieces. Pusher 1,2,3, Bronson, Drive.

He only makes improvised movies (OGF, TND) because he wants to/can afford it

m8 I'm saying it's good but not as great as Drive

>made by /our guy/

What about Léon The Professional?

Neon Demon was so disappointing.

I was hoping it'd be a movie about this innocent country girl getting more and more influence with her looks, and then gets introduced to the real fucked up part of hollywood, Rothschild parties etc.

Instead I got lame schlock with a weak ending.

>all that wasted potential

There are only a few times I've seen Sup Forums pretty enthusiastic about things.

Drive, Neon Demon, John Wick, and Lasagnacat come most immediately to mind.

is this just the perfect it girl right now in hollywood?

For us, maybe. I don't think your typical normies are going to rate her as high but arty directors and artists tend to like her, and she's pretty much Sup Forums's princess, maybe only contested by Anya Taylor-Joy.

Can you tl;dr me on Rothschild parties and is there movies related to that?

Both The VVVVitch and The Semen Demon were pretentious pieces of dogshit.

Eyes Wide Shut.
They literally killed Kubrick for it. Look it up.

This is like saying "Hey, I have two turds here, this one's prettier!"

It's still a turd

The VVitch didnt try to be anything more than it was. It was just a solid movie that has minimal flaws, while remaining engaging the entire time.
Explain how The Lobster could get a best original screenplay while the VVitch doesn't.

Oh I wanted to watch that shit for a long time. Especially recently after reading "Shame is like a mix of Eyes Wide Shut and American Psycho." Since I love AP and Shame, I figured there has to be something worthwhile about EWS too.

That just shows how sad and unimportant those awards are, The Lobster might even be worse than The VVitch.

All of the people that were so interested in her was her virgin purity. If you read the origial ending in the script its all about having a virgin sacrifice to steal their essence.

The thing about refn films is they stick with you. He makes a memorable experience with his movies. I couldnt get OGF or Valhalla Rising out of my head for a good week after watching them and had to rewatch them. ND didnt have quite the same inpact as his previous works but it was a great experience in the theaters, and I think thats what refn tries to make

could say it's balls deep

>deserves to win best cenimatography
>not even nominated
This is some lego movie level snubbing. Reminds me why I hate the Oscars.

Uou know, they could send out faulty movie screeners to academy members and those that don't actually watch the movies and notice the fault should be disqualified from voting.
But of course this won't happen.

Refn should've been nominated for cinematography only because he hired a female DP solely for the fact that she was the cheapest.

Not enough screentime for Hendricks.

how about valerie and her week of wonders?