The Young Pope

I watched it all. I didn't get anything out of this show. And maybe I'm low brow, but can someone help me to understand this show better? Maybe someone who is Catholic, idk.

I thought the cinematography was great.

*walks towards you*

I'm an atheist and it was touching and poignant.
You don't have to be religiou to get something from it. Just leave your cynicism outside.

It's about muh parents. And also he's a saint.

OP here. Way to assume I'm not religious bro. I'm not catholic. The only person cynical here is you.

It's like modern day Masterpiece Theater. Lots of costumes and pretty shots of ornate rooms but not a lot going on plot-wise that you couldn't guess 2 eps in advance.

Or as they say in texas: All hat and no cowboy

I think the show is made for bitter Catholics who think Vatican II was a bad idea. If you don't have an opinion on sedevacantism, it may not be the show for you.

>ywn have an evil cardinal find your stuffed animal and gin stash

How did the catholic church even get started. How did they decide all this shit. Who even decided there should be a pope? Does the bible just list all this out as how it should be?

>when a nigger asks you for brown sugar

Bro, you need to read an academic history book.
Try, Early Christianity: A Brief History

Jesus wrote it all down in the Book of Numbers in the Bible.

>How did the catholic church even get started
Jesus
>how did they decide all this shit
council of nicea
>Who even decided there should be a pope?
Bishop of rome
> Does the bible just list all this out as how it should be?
no

It started with Peter, whom Jesus appointed as the Pope in Matthew 16:18.

>And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Also a great deal of the Church comes from Roman pagan traditions and medieval practices. It's a long complicated history.

Does it end with him realizing everything about Catholicism was plagiarized from the Egyptians and renouncing his faith?

OP here. You sound like you know what you are talking about, could you elaborate a little more on this? What do you mean by sedevacantism? And Vactican II?

>council of nicea

Is there a movie about this I can watch? Is the history recorded in the bible or in other sources?

You mean the Zoroastrians, right? Fucking ignoramus.

that needless fagstory about his childhood friend... why was that shitty part needed?

its crazy really

this was kind of the reason i left catholicism, you are asked to accept a lot of things that dont appear to have any real basis

that and the fact that i dont believe that a dead person came back to life again, and I find the story of jesus a lot more compelling if you leave out the supernatural stuff

I think you need to be catholic to understand some of the subtler messages brought up by the show. Without having a traditional faith, especially a roman catholic one, many of the scenes wont impact you the way theyre supposed to.

>Also a great deal of the Church comes from Roman pagan traditions
>Catholicism was plagiarized from the Egyptians
>You mean the Zoroastrians, right?
Good form.

HE WAS THE FUCKING DEAD SCIENTIST IN I ROBOT THATS WHERE I RECOGNISE HIM FROM FUCK

More like "all of the above."

>I, Robot
>not Babe

He's a literal "that guy"

that'll do Sunny, that'll do

The Young Pope's a bloody soap opera, as these co-productions between countries that really shouldn't be working together always turn out to be.

You sound like a retard and a pleb.

Catholicism won't miss you.

fuck

he really is that guy

you sound like a typical Sup Forums """Christian""" who pretends to be religious because you are embarassed by fedora memes and you picked catholicism because you see it as the most right wing denomination

i bet you even roleplay as a crusader despite the fact that murder is a sin

lmao

OP here. Still really hoping for some answers.

Vatican II was a council meeting in 1962 where the Vatican reformed several parts of the Catholic Church. A big part of it was a move towards ecumenicalism, that is, building bridges with other Christian denominations. Previously, the Church considered all non-Catholic teachings to be heretical, but with ecumenicalism, they backed off and said that Protestants and Orthocucks were okay. Vatican II led to other reforms and a liberalization of the Church, which a lot of conservative Catholics, including JRR Tolkien of all people, hated. This included stuff like removing Latin from mass and other services. It was all very controversial.

Sedevacantism means "vacant/empty seat," meaning that since Vatican II, every Pope has been illegitimate and the papal chair lies empty. It's a radical and small faction of ultra-conservative Catholics, and they don't have much sway.

Thank you.

Where are they based, this radical movement? I assume not The Vatican.

There are a few Conclaves around. Some in America, some in places like Vietnam. They're not united, and many have elected their own "true Popes" as antipopes. Still, some Bishops (at least in the 70s) took a sedevacantist position while still remaining in the Church.

Did I say Bishops? I meant priests.

would you the marketing milf?

It's more suited towards someone who has had to watch people gravitate towards hypocrites.

Actors are top tier and some scenes are very emotional but that's basically the only thing I've liked

HOLY FUCK I HAD NO IDEA AND I HAVE SEEN I,ROBOT.

>GHOSTS IN THE MACHINE

and he was in Six Feet Under and in some movie as a captain on a ship. Forgot what one. or was it a Bond movie maybe??

HE'S EVERYWHERE

So why did that young boy kill himself when he wasn't allowed priesthood because that other priest didn't want him to be one? Was he afraid that the boy would grow up to be a child molester due to him being molested at a young age apparently?

So the boy kills himself because he will never touch kids? Fucking hell...

good goys

>Also a great deal of the Church comes from Roman pagan traditions

I wasn't trying to denigrate the Catholic Church by saying that it took from Roman paganism, if that's what you're implying. I'm saying there is a reason that it's Vergil leading Dante in his journey to Hell. Any trappings taken from ancient Rome were taken on purpose, and any reasonably educated Christian (or anyone who studied Latin, for that matter) would openly tell you so. For example, the Papacy took a great deal from the Pontifex Maximus, and nuns took a lot from the Vestal Virgins.

Christian tradition also grew out of the East with Jewish traditions, and many practices are Christian originals.

It probably didn't take much from Zoroastrianism, though. That's probably just a coincidence. And anyone who tells you Christianity is taken from Mithraism is trying to sell you something.

tips

He and sister Mary were the closest thing to family after his parents abandoned him. It's supposed to show family surrogacy and it wasn't and never will be enough for Lenny