So fucking sick of Hollywood using scifi as a vessel to tell other genre stories why cant get hard scifi & when we do...

So fucking sick of Hollywood using scifi as a vessel to tell other genre stories why cant get hard scifi & when we do get a movie that should be called "scifi" its pushing some bullshit agenda so the characters no longer behaves like real people & is just a tool for the faggot writers to sell their non scientific bullshit ideas of how humans should behave (their perfect world ) FUCK U INTERSTELLAR

> fucking sick of these maintain the cultural status quo shit this shit makes you feel like a fucking drone being programmed to behave a certain way

Their idea of sci fi is throwing some fancy looking cgi tech at you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vp9hw9tRSpM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

At least Interstellar was more decent than Passengers or Arrival

Millenials demand spoonfeeding to be honest.

Hollywood thinks science fiction and fantasy are absolutely the same thing. Actual science is not something Disney cares about nearly as much as money.

Interstellar was actually much closer to traditional science fiction with steely astronauts and scientists dealing with time dilation and other motifs.

Hell, as much as I love Rendezvous with Rama, the people are not real, just a excuse to tell a story.

In terms of sci-fi not even close.

Interstellar is about how LOVE CONQUERS ALL in a sci-fi setting, Arrival is about human beings using logic and the scientific method to solve problems in a sci-fi setting.

SF is about the time it was written in, not the time during which it takes place.

/thread

I blame boomers. Just look what they did to the Alien franchise.

I'm way more angry with fantasy shit getting labelled scifi.

No shit, I saw someone discussing LotR as scifi.

I just reread nueromancer, Now that is Future prediction. If they ever make a film version I'm sure it will be dog shit

>Arrival is about human beings using logic and the scientific method to solve problems
No it's not, at all. I was really curious to see how they would solve the language-barrier, hoping they'd come up with something cool.. but nah, they completely glossed over that.

Have you taken your meds yet?

I was hoping the rings turned out to be human anus o-rings and they could communicate by anal probing each other

My favorite science fiction, the force awakwens had some great science things like hyperdriving into to get in a shield, lightsaber exhaust, and how starkiller works. Neat stuff.

people still buthurt about that anne hathaway line.

Literal autism

Of course it would. The book barely holds up today too since it's based on an archaic concept of the internet.

Snow Crash would be better. Would still probably suck.

>Arrival is about human beings using logic and the scientific method to solve problems in a sci-fi setting.

Yet, there is nothing scientific in the whole damn movie.

You think it was archaic? Have you even read it?
Reading other shit from the early 80s was like "Jonny gets in his moon rocket and puts on his moon boots to eat nutrition food"
This was 1983 when he wrote it, before Ibm compatibles really took hold even

The biggest problem with Neruomancer outside of the internet before it was the internet issues is that a lot of the cool concepts have been ripped off piecemeal by other movies, so it wouldn't feel original.

Neuromancer is so old it was written on a typewriter.

jesus kek
that'd be a hilarious spoof

Yes you are right, it would seem like when days of our lives did a matrix parody I watched one time at my grandmas house.
Get this they called it the vortex

Why does it have to be about love conquers all? Because you only remember the last 10 minutes of the movie?

The whole point is that Coop was a fucking farmer and a pilot, he doesn't fucking understand a transdimensional time travel device. He's explaining it in the same way humans explained things for years, leaps of logic for things that seem to be related.

There wasn't even proof that it was future humans, just that someone wanted them to have it. For all we fucking know it was the humans in the desert that Hathaway's character raised on that planet. Eventually when they develop time travel they decide to give it earlier to regular humans in order to save Earth, the ancestral planet they've never truly known.

It won't affect their ability to exist since they're already there regardless of humanity's ability to travel the stars.

Yep,

you could do it two ways

Cheap, and it going to look bad.

Or you could throw a lot of money, and it would feel like "O look, its bladerunner and they go into orbit and there a woman who a rip-off of Trinity from the Matrix except she has silver shades and blades like wolverine...."

Sci-fi stopped being sci-fi decades ago. If you want true sci-fi, read some old genre fiction sci-fi from before the 1990s. Like Robert A. Heinlein, E. E. Smith, Isaac Asimov, or Frank Herbert. Tech is more important in the older sci-fi than modern sci-fi. You don't get people nerding out anymore. The old stuff dedicated many pages to explain one device or method.

You don't have to use the real world model of the internet in a story. The stuff in those books can be used instead. They are alt histories after all.

I think the decayed incestuous weirdness of the tessier-ashpools would go down well today
hating the obscenely rich is always en vogue among the hollywood elite for some reason

>hating the obscenely rich is always en vogue among the hollywood elite for some reason

It gives the masses an outlet they can control. You don't want that shit being pent up where people actually act and do things to change things. It is a great pacifier.

Except Alastair Reynolds, he is in his own league when it comes to great hard sci-fi, pretty much the only consistent modern author in the genre that i can stand. If you pick him up though, be wary that he accepted £1m contract in 2009 to write literal garbage for several years.

This movie was so fucking terrible.
Would have been much better if he either stayed alone for the entire time or if he died at that scene where they release the fire.

Sci-fi has always been "a vessel" to explore the human condition, from 2001 to Blade Runner.

Please list some of your favorite hard scifi films which you think are specifically about "science & fiction" and nothing else

I've already read all his stuff. Thanks for the recommend though. I just finished Terminal World. It is nice how a lot of his works are so different from his other works. Unlike Heinlein for example, but then his stuff almost all takes place in the same established universe.

Not him, but mine are:

The Andromeda Strain (1971)
[rest of list is removed due to being shit]

If this was a story about insanity, it would of been much better (I did enjoy it none the less).

Imagine the same film but where he slowly goes mad, creating his own personal fiction where the viewer isn't sure what is and isn't real.

I would of killed off the entire ship at the beginning and he is the sole survivor of the 5000. He lives alone, slowly going insane (as in the beginning of the actual movie) but rather than waking someone up himself, that someone just turns up, leaving us and Chris Pratt's character wondering if she is real or not. From that point it could pretty much go the same direction it did in the actual movie but include a self sacrifice at the end and leave an ambiguous ending for whether she was real or not.

>is it real or not, am I insane!?

One of the worst plot devices really. Second only to shit like body swap.

>Interstellar is about how LOVE CONQUERS ALL in a sci-fi setting

Are you so fucking retarded that you can't even understand a fucking Nolan movie? Jesus you're a moron.

worst plot devices is fucking love

You have to be a special kind of stupid

it would be funny if he just imagined a big tited space slut but spoke to her earnestly and they gave her serious dialog like "good point we need to maintain max velocity and my space horniness is off the charts!"

I like it, can't think of that many films that have done it (well that is).

Shutter Island was a good insanity film, that's what popped into my head.

>fir
after he did that they should of showed the ship fixed and she living on it for a while and lonely and sees someone looking like him in a pod and end it there

>t. virgin
>t. autist
>t. manchild
>t. emo

>Projecting

Caricature.

This.

OP is just spergin out "waaa it ain't like it used be waaa" while being completely delusional of the past in the industry.

explain furthr

space suit ex machina

med pod ex machina

This is the most stupid scene in the whole movie.

Exactly. Science-Fiction is interesting because it can generate interesting und unexpected premises for a movie. I think Passengers is actually a good example of how this can work. I thought the idea was incredibly interesting, unfortunately, I thought that the characters were kind of stupid and there were some really unnecessary scenes at the end of the whole thing. Still enjoyable I thought, nothing brilliant, but definitely enjoyable.

Are you okay?

What are you after in Sci-fi? Tech that 'just werks' handwaved away in story or being 'based' on the idea that if you can dream of it, there will be a way to build it eventually.

Do you want an exploration of a technologies application, having the humans/living things just be around to move between scenes? At it's core sci-fi just the same as fantasy and they all can deal with incredibly mundane topics. As technology gets better, our understanding of what is plausible changes, so some 'what if' scenarios come off more corny and wish-fulfillment that they may have in the past.

>Decide to watch Arrival
>First 5 minutes is set up to turn the movie into a personal drama about getting over the death of her daughter

Blame marketing and your preconcieved expectations of what you think the movie should be about.
The ayylmao's and the science are just the setting in Arrival where the actual story takes place in, the story of Amy Adams character relationship with her daughter and life/death in general.
It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.

The opening and the ending sequences are about that
All the major scenes are intercut with that.
And even when it's in the present narrative it's eithet a heavy close up of Amy Adams for half the movie or a camera placement of her characters point of view.

Also it's not about her "getting over the death" of her daughter, it's about embracing life/death and appreciating every waking moment of your life.

If you can't enjoy the scifi aspects of Interstellar separate from the ending then you are not an adult.
I bet you read Ender's Game and autistically screeched about how they couldn't leave out politics and insight into human nature

The only reason they go down the planet they do is because Hathaway's character had a hunch Wolfe or whatever would be there because "muh love"

I really liked the first part when he was alone in passengers. reminded me of the one part in Prometheus while only fassbender is awake.

underage ban detected

The biggest criticism against Passengers seemed to be Matt Damon being a creepy weirdo. I think this could have been fixed if
>Matt Damon was the writer who woke first
>After realizing he'd need to wake another, he methodolically chose an engineer with the background who could potentially fix the ship
>happens also to be a pretty woman who he gets to know after waking her
>etc

he didnt know the ship was breaking down because he couldnt enter the bridge

You're confusing storytelling with engineering textbooks.

Sci-fi is literally agenda pushing the genre.

Want to make a scifi movie? Choose a social issue and make that your whole world's problem. Done.

Fucking shit genre mate.

he wasn't Matt Damon

youtube.com/watch?v=vp9hw9tRSpM