I'm about to watch pic related before tonight's ceremony

I'm about to watch pic related before tonight's ceremony.

What can I expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XqadySJ6Lcs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

revenge

Make sure you're eating during the opening credits.

One best movie of the year misinterpreted by Sup Forums cucks. Don't fall for meme.

A FUCKING BOOK

how would you interpret it then?

prepare to touch yourself over naked isla fisher

also jump scare during baby phone scene

If I had watched this I would tell you the end.

If Amy Adams and the "real life" part of the film didn't exist it would have actually been a good film.

PLEB'D

>rk9 gets revenge on a roastie

A waste of 2 hours.

Book was a confession. Through it he told her about his guilt (over losing her and their child) and his weakness (he wanted to take revenge but he couldn't).

obesity

>hahaha what if I just don't show up???
>omg she was really looking forward to having dinner with me, bitch want my dick soon bad
>hahaha she's probably crying her stupid whore eyes out right now
>hahahaha I bet she's gonna fucking kill herself
>just the way it goes when Jakey leaves ya hangin'

so you agree the movie was about revenge? how is Sup Forums misinterpreting it?

Jesus.. Why don't you go watch die hard 5 again you fucking inbred commoner.

The point of the movie was the interpretation of the dual narrative, as being a metaphor for what happened to him in real life.

The car where his daughter and wife gets kidnapped, is the same one where he was that she had gotten an abortion without telling him, robbing him of his chance of a family.
And the couch where he finds them dead, is the exact one where she told him that he shouldn't write about himself, and that he wasn't any good.

Which he proved her wrong at the end.

I've literally just finished it. Fantastic flick with beautiful music. I hope Shannon takes the award.

She thought that it was revenge because she was shallow and self-centered. He WANTED to take revenge on her (same as Tony wanted to take revenge on redneck guys) but due to his weakness was unable to. Yeah, he killed Ray in the end, but only when he attacked him and it gives him no satisfaction, only emphasizes his weakness more. Remember the car standing in front of the Susan's house? It was Edward being too weak to act and it parallels Tony not being able to pull the trigger by himself.

The opening credits made me wanna throw up. I had some nuts and it made me put them away instantly.

i just watched this with my female girlfriend last night. we completely agreed that literally every scene with amy adams, her story, or her relationship with jake was awful garbage. completely cliched and really conscious about trying to come off as artistic, which i guess makes sense since the directors a fashion designer. but we were laughing at some parts, especially every time the camera would cut to amy adams face when she reacted to things. my girl kept saying "let me react!", which was a great point, even if the director was intentionally taking away the audiences ability to react to what was happening on screen. it just ruined the fucking movie, which was really unfortunate because the actual movie is just jake gyllenhaal and michael shannon broing it up in the desert while with occasional sudden closeups of amy adams bloated face.
all together a 6/10. jake gave some powerful acting at a couple points.
but really what this should have been was just a movie with michael shannons character solving a mysteries. he was channeling some heavy true detective vibes throughout.

im not that user but youre literally just saying that revenge is the central theme of the movie. which it is. unfortunately i didnt give a fuck about their relationship and was much more enthralled by the cliche desert crime drama/buddy cop movie

those mustve been nigger nuts because if thicc doesnt give you width ur gay

:-)

Virgin neckwear

It was one of the themes, but no revenge happened.

>female girlfriend
good that you specified

also nice to hear that plebs stick with each other

Just watched it, really positively surprised. I think the plot was very good, the metaphorical parallels between the story of the novel and what had happened was unravelled in a way where while it was not exactly deep, it wasnt completely obvious right from the beginning.

I liked the theme of the movie, which basically is "love is precious, dont throw it away to follow your dreams, which is a meme". This theme doesnt seem to resonate well with the academy, because its basically the opposite of the theme of La La Land which is lauded and overrated. No surprise really, because Amy Adams character is basically 99 % of Hollywood females over 35, people who went for the "dashing, ambitious" man and later end up discarded and regretful about the more down to earth and ultimately more lasting relationships they could have had.

Seems to me like Hollywood dont want to get realistic messages in their films like this one, theyd rather have escapist, silly fantasies like La La Land.

Nocturnal Animals was great.

This.

Tom Ford is not yet on great-tier but he really is well above average.

>What can I expect?
An really fucking intense scene between Gyllenhaal and Aaron-Taylor-Johnson. They nailed that shit, Shannon was good too.
Also, how did Jake's character die at the end?

Tony from the book? He shoot himself. Ed probably did the same when he didn't show up.

>we completely agreed that literally every scene with amy adams, her story, or her relationship with jake was awful garbage

Are you kidding, the final scene was pottery.

Her being stood up at the end could be seen as a revenge. However, it could also be interpreted as if he killed himself after getting the confirmation that Susan read it. The character in the novel died after finally ridding himself of the "Nocturnal Animals" after all.

I see the novel as the story of how he went for a long time hating Susan for killing his chance of a wife and child, and then in the end he finally managed to find a way to "kill the nocturnal animals" which was sending the novel to Susan to make her really feel bad about what she had done. And then he had nothing to live for any more so he killed himself. Sort of a revenge in there, but not in the classical Tarantino hero way, more in a greek tragedy way.

don't bother, it's b8

When did he shoot himself? I thought he shot the gun up in the air?

>yfw he never turns up

Didn't you see the gun went off again when he fell over? Did the heartbeat stopping slowly not give you enough of a clue that he died?

Amy Adams is fucking ugly and this movie sucked.

>RE
>VEN
>GE

LE ART

>female stood up
>OMG SOUL CRUSHING LONELINESS POOR HER

Sure, some of the scenes with gyllenhall we're good but never great and the rest is trite garbage. I'd rather suffer through Neon Demon than this bullshit.

I laughed out loud when I saw that fucking painting in the scene as well as few others. It's just pathetic.

As if the fucking painting wasn't enough, the writer/director straight-out said the story was about revenge, you bum.

>poor her

You missed the point completely. You weren't supposed to feel sorry for her.

The revenge poster was a bait for tards like you. See other comments.

>the whole movie should have been about Michael Shannon solving mysteries in the desert

Why do you even reply to a comment that contains obvious bait such as the above?

Beautiful picture, decent acting, absolutely generic and mediocre story without any sense.

No shit Sherlock but they used that scene because it's supposed to have deep impact on her character due to being a female who was stood up after letting herself possibly fall in love again. It's fucking dumb.

>muh dual narrative

No.

It wasn't the exact same couch or car, just very similar. The intent is still the same though, to show a parallel.

that was so clumsily handled i couldnt believe it. also the cgi gunshot and cgi gunshot wounds in the rapist were laughable in a movie attempting to be gritty and emotionally evocative

it was the central theme of the movie, hence why its the primary theme of the 75% of the movie revolving around the book story. the other theme, regret, is shown in amys 25%

It's low budget trash cashing in on modern trends despite not actually having a proper audience for it's recycled plot devices.

I thought the head wound/brain damage killed him. Kick-Ass cracked his skull wide open with that fireplace poker, it's surprising that he woke up at all

I admitted it was one of the themes, but no real revenge happened unlike most of Sup Forums seem to think. Poster was a bait. Take some reading compression classes or find a capeshit thread to shitpost in.

Where did she get the daguther if she has abortion? The girl she called? Their romance with Amry Hammer wasn't that long.

>good that you specified
im glad you caught that, pretty perceptive arent you?
>plebs stick with each other
>plebs
>imagining that finding the awkward and hamfisted parallels, amys hilarious cutaways for literally every emotional moment of the movie, and every other "artistic"component literally anything other than embarrassing
>not being a megatron of plebbitry
lmao

I'm pretty sure she said she divorced Edward 19 years ago so the daughter could be 18 or so.

no he accidentally shoots himself in the stomach representing her abortion killing him you just cant tell because its so poorly done. the movie is pretty bad

Themes of weakness and guilt were as important as was theme of (failed) revenge. Susan thought the book itself was revenge cause she was a shallow bitch.

movie makes it clear its arm and hammers daughter and that she was dating him while pregnant with jakes kid

>he accidentally shoots himself in the stomach representing her abortion killing him
Oh, so the whole metaphor was even more forced and on-the-nose than I initially thought. Why does she spend the whole movie gushing about the "devastating power" of that book? Jakey's a fucking hack

he literally dedicates the book to her just to torture her

Haha! What?! She's deeply unhappy and trapped in a loveless marriage while professionally unfulfilled because she was too weak to stick with the one guy who believed in her. Christ, you're dense.

that's bs

because literally everything about the movie aside from michael shannon chewing scenery is garbage

I mean, she got pregnant right after abortion and made another kid with Hammer?

He was writing about himself and how he felt. They talk about it in the movie. Writing the book itself and sending was a confession. Not revenge.

gyllenhaals character is a fucking obsessive lunatic in the movie. he dates some chick for a while in his early/mid 20s, gets her knocked up, and literally becomes fixated on her for the next two decades to the point that he writes an entire book about how much her breaking up with him ruined his life and then ostensibly kills himself over it all in an attempt to psychologically devastate her.

The dude wrote an entire novel as part of his plan to no show on a date after. That is incredibly autistic

thats what the movie implies, yes, and explaining what amy describes as the "horrible way i left him" or whatever she says

OP here, now I've watched and I must say it was breddy gud. I liked the meta narrative and poignant shared metaphors. I hope Susan realized she was at fault and was beyond redemption.
I give it 8 scornful husbands out of 10.

>"no real revenge happened"
>mindfucked her with the book
>stood her ass up in a crowded restaurant
>the last shot of the movie is Lousie' face of absolute devastation and misery

How about you take some common sense classes, you jerk.

D R O P P E D

Is it even possible biologically? Also having kid right after abortion is really stupid.

Can't say it wasn't righteouss though.

The fact she took it as revenge doesn't make it one. He didn't show up cause he killed himself. You are as dumb as self-centered was Susan in the movie, congratulations.

>dates

They were married. She went against the wishes of her family by marrying him and even moved to another state. Her brother and him knew each as children and the three of them grew up" together. Try watching the movie next time instead of shitposting on Sup Forums

>He didn't show up cause he killed himself.

That's just your headcannon to peddle your point, jerk. What I said is literally what happened in the movie, which is, revenge.

>"The fact she took it as revenge doesn't make it one"
>Edward writes a revenge story wherein the main character is just like him, loses his wife and child to a "Nocturnal Animal", his petname for Louise, and dedicates the book to his ex-wife
>She takes it as him exacting revenge on her
>"no revenge happened"

Get checked for autism, jerk.

>I am the only one alive who truly gets it! Fuck y'all!

Yea this, he dead. Or at least its heavily implied he is from the end of the novel and it being a metaphor and all.

Revenge story where most of thing is done by others for him. Where he only kills when it's literally him or the redneck. And afterwards he have no satisfaction. And he kills himself.

Watch it few more times. Don't worry. You will get it.

Why would he have killed himself only after fulfilling his life's goal- making it as an author and proving his bitch ex-wife wrong? After the heartbreak, almost two decades ago, sure. But not now.

His ultimate fate is ambiguous. He could be dying of cancer (like the cop). He could have shot himself (like the nove's character - although this could also have been a metaphor for how the abortion of his child "killed" him). He could have just gotten stuck in traffic. etc. Some of those of theories can be backed up, but they're still just theories.

literally me

Why did Tony killed himself after killing Ray?

Her uppity and "positive" reaction to the book and him. He thought its message was completely lost on her.

Because his brain was hemorrhaged

Because he had horrendous brain damage and he was bleeding to death alone in a field in the middle of nowhere? I'm not even sure if I agree that he shot himself. I thought he was using the gun to signal for help, and he just lost consciousness because, again, his head was cracked wide fucking open and there was nobody around to help him

He didn't have much to live for at this point. Also I think that was accidental.

Damn, Tom Ford is hack. Thank you Sup Forums

Pretentious movie, Amerifat can't into Kino.

>Pretentious

There's that word again!

This thread reminds me why I don't come here.

Plebs are 95% of the board now.

Is that an actual movie poster?

You take that back!

He's positivelya great filmmaker and lover of kino.
youtube.com/watch?v=XqadySJ6Lcs

I saw this, he's kind of annoying. Moves his hands way too much when he speaks, and when he's listening to others, it's like he's giving a performance of what "listening intently" looks like

There's a point about halfway through this interview when you realize that every single person in the room wants to fuck Taylor Sheridan

I saw a screening at tiff and afterwards Tom Ford came out and basically explained the entire film and how it was about revenge

I fucked your mother last night and afterwards she said it was about fat women.

I like him, he sounds and acts like a cartoon character.

He also explained what the fat women represented

long hair guy is redheads new husband who took away her and the daughter from jake
jake wants to take revenge
after years he kills the bad guy
he can't come to the meeting because he is hiding from police (we didnt see it)

That's interesting, but hard to believe. Is the audience at tiff too retarded to understand a movie? Is giving such explanations a common thing to do?

i like this, not bad

>He also explained what the fat women represented

what?

I just thought it was a commentary on the fickle, subjective nature of modern art and maybe commodifying the grotesque?