How did Portugal survive next to Spain without being assimilated?

How did Portugal survive next to Spain without being assimilated?

Because of your father, England.

Superior portuguese genes

Nobody in Spain actually knows Portugal exists. Maybe Galicians do, but thats all.

bit rude to our neighbors mate

Because they got independence. If they didn't, they would be the andalusian galicia

Highly efficient military

Because at some point in history we had en empire and were tough shit. Not to mention Brits supported our independence just to weaken Spen

Please leave Portugal alone.

>the buthurt is strong in this one.

btw, it's in the past, all euro's had some fight's in the past.

the Spanish lived in fear of the Portuguese warlord

There wouldn't be any problem if there was no assimilation - forced or not. Ask Phillip IV of Spain and Count-Duke of Olivares.

oh wow, this time we lasted 8 posts before wikibattles

Spain is a rogue Portuguese providence. Soon Portugal will reconquer Spain and burn Madrid, ruling an Iberian empire from Lisboa. The gutter sounding Spanish language will be replaced my beautiful Portuguese and Spainiards will be forced to work in the Nata and cod mines.

>cod mines

>ruling an Iberian empire from Lisboa
Dead from the get-go. Didn't even have a chance.

Make it Coimbra. The country was at its best when Coimbra was either the capital or intellectual lead of the country.

You dumb berger where the fuck do you think Cod comes from? The Ocean? No you mine it, along with Natas and Port.

Why is this? I don't know shit of Portuguese cities so educate me a little. Portuguese posters here seem to like Porto, too, I think.

damn. i want portugese chicken now. but with nuddels.

Porto and Lisbon are way too big to work as capitals.

Coimbra was for a long time the Florence of Portugal and the Portuguese empire, having the only University in the country for a while. It's where all the kings and noblemen and writer and navigators studied (not unlike Cambridge or Oxford).

It was the country's first capital as a kingdom (it had been Guimarães as a county), and it's where the first kangz are buried.

But Lisbon is where all the ships stopped, so power eventually shifted there and became to close to the money for it to work long-term. Also it has the tendency to collapse every 200 years from an earthquake.

Porto is cool, but falls in the same mistake of Lisbon of thinking they are the only other city in the country or the North, so I don't trust them with the power. Great for having enterprises and industry and stuff, though.

I don't hate Lisboners, it's really not their fault. But Lisbon has become cancer much like every capital does, eventually.

Port is squished from grapes like any wine, mate. Natas come from the trees, not mines. You're right about the codfish.

Good question. If they want more clay, they can always take the east half now, since ~90% of the population lives in the other half. We don't know what to do with all that land.

You probably live east of Madrid or something. We have plenty of non-galician spaniards coming to Lisbon and the Algarve.

both are too lazy for any kind of work. Mostly drunk on red wine and the tone vitamin d.

Spain wouldn't know what to do with the Portuguese interior since it's about as populated as the parts of Spain that border it, desu.

Also, you know they are Spaniards because you can hear them above every other guy in the plazas. Holy fuck are they loud.

I've never visited Portugal but I've visited Spain and I don't remember them being loud. But then I'm American so I wouldn't necessarily have noticed I guess.

We (Portuguese) are not lazy at all. We're just boneheaded and bureaucratically inefficient, but we work our asses off. You can ask any country with Portuguese diaspora.

The wine part is true, though.

Yeah. You guys aren't particularly quiet either. And you always speak like you're trying to sell something in those morning commercials. Always emphasising random words at the end of sentences, and doing that shit where you ask yourselves a question and then answer it straight away to drive the point.

Bit weird, desu. Not bad, but weird.

So is Portugal a good place to live? It looks beautiful and comfy but your economy is even worse than Spain's isn't it? I'd like to visit in any case.

It's literally perfect if you have money. The problem here is making bank, but if you have it, it's paradise on earth.
Good food
Good weather
Nice people
Great infrastructure
Great cities

this place has gotten so oriented towards tourism that you'll feel like a king here

How did Canada survive next to USA without being assimilated?

Sadly I don't have money but I'm working on it slowly. America is kind of the opposite of your description. It's a great place to make money but it isn't where I'd choose to be for other reasons aside from that.

That's rather sad tbqh. I mean nobody wants to visit a place that is going to be unwelcoming but when tourism transforms an economy the result is always a step down.

This is true

>starting a sentence with "so"
I hope everyone you love is skinned alive

I've never really given that much thought before but you're right, it's pointless and stupid, a language virus like "like" or "I mean" randomly in sentences.

It's sad, yes. I feel like a foreigner in downtown Lisbon now.

Coimbra, based dudes.

Jamor? great

>Porto is cool, but falls in the same mistake of Lisbon of thinking they are the only other city in the country or the North
I share this view too. They complain about Lisbon yet they regard themselves as the only other option.

>But Lisbon has become cancer much like every capital does, eventually.
Is most definitely is and I hate that it's the only southern city where I can find good jobs in my field.

>only southern city
Is there any particular reason you wouldn't consider a northern city? I can't really tell what you were meaning to convey here.

Kill the coimbristas Porto SIGA!

Lisboa eh awesome! Seriously beautiful city, hip, cheap, walkable, and good food and drink. Can sit on a hill and watch the river while drinking wine.

What is their not to love? Near beaches and Sintra.

He probably doesn't want to move too far from home.

The sourthernmost regions have very specific job opportunities (agriculture and tourism), leaving Lisbon as the only city to offer diverse job offers in the southern half of the country.

The north doesn't have this problem as much, since Coimbra, Braga, Porto, Aveiro, Viseu all offer different things, including industry, even. Although none individually as much as Lisbon, as is expected, but as a whole it definitely has more variety.

It's a lot greener and more populated thanks to our history and geography, so most people live in the denser north. The south has larger distances to travel.

Foi nas tabernas de alfama... Musica fado.. Saudade... Those were great times.

>you wouldn't consider a northern city
Friends, family and home. And I hate cold/rainy weather. Jobs are not a problem there.
Nothing against the northern people. In Lisbon you make friends from every other region, and the north is not an exception.

I got you. Out of curiosity how long does it take to travel from one end of Portugal to the other?

Top to bottom? Using the highways? 6/7 hours with the bridges in the major rivers and whatnot. 5 something if you're in a hurry is definitely doable. It's not a huge country.

Yeah it does rain a lot in the North.

about 8 hours

Don't know. Everytime I travel to the north, I stop by many towns and villages. There's just so many interesting locations up there that I visit very few of them in one go.

you.. stop along the way?
when i go on a five hour drive the only place i'm stopping is at the gas station
nothing to see

Why not? It's my country and I try to get to know it as well as I can.

Yeah this and I'm always in too much of a hurry even if there's no good reason to be. Euros always seem like they're a lot better at taking it easy and stopping to smell the roses than we are.

Every northerner makes a bit stop in Bairrada to eat Leitão when going to Algarve on vacation. It's tradition.

These are the longest routes we can have, and they are long enough that it's a travel day already, so you might as well extend it a couple hours for a nice restaurant and visiting a city to stretch your legs. Especially after you've passed along 10 of them.

Shorter routes usually include only service station stops for an overpriced coffee and nata.

You guys really have nowhere interesting to stop unless you're driving at the eastern coast.

Pretty based. The one thing plebs and patricians agree.

it doesn't.

fuck off.

De espanha, nem bom vento nem bom casamento

After watching the Anthony Bourdain episode on Portugal, the country looks good tier.

good tier is pretty mediorce. God tier is what you want

but now what we can afford