Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1909

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:
来週もがんばりしょう!

Other urls found in this thread:

kotobank.jp/word/今日という今日-477562
nhentai.net/g/185368/1/)
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/47257/meaning/m0u/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the difference between this thread and ?

That (type of) thread is about Japan, this (type of) thread is about learning Japanese.

This one isn't spammed by an autist 24/7

the japanese thread is about japan, posting in japanese in a total circlejerk by autists and getting spammed to death

DJT is about asking questions/discussing things regarding japanese as a language

○頑張りましょう
×頑張りしょう

Previous thread:

黒人大嫌い

Picked the wrong one to copy from the archive. (っ- ‸ – ς)

お前の心には憎悪ばかりありそう

How do you go from

Today is today will settle by means of quick attack

to

We'll take care of this fast today

By spreching zie English, Hans

The first sentence is just a literal translation. I don't get why she is describing "today" with a relative clause that already describes what she will do today. という is about describing right? So why not just just say "今日は速攻で片付ける" instead of describing the term "today" twice. Perhabs shes just saying something along the lines of "Today is the day..." and I am just overcomplicating this.

XというX is just a really emphatic way of saying X.
kotobank.jp/word/今日という今日-477562
>今日こそ

It's kind of like, "today, of all days."
>「今日という今日はもう容赦しない」
Today of all days, I will not forgive

I think the translation in your screenshot is fine.

今日という今日 is a set expression. 今日こそ etc

I already know こそ. This makes it really easy to understand now.
Thanks

何を見つめているんだろう?

おっぱい

たべる くそ

>this thread

would be more accurate on /jp/

指なんかちがうだろう、なにが起こってるの?

If there is one thing you could eradicate from the Japanese language, what would it be?

For me, I'd definitely get rid of counters.

maybe onomatopoeia that look/sound all the same

If I just start using つ for everything, will they understand?

Kanji

This kanji -> 〆

The absence of spaces.

それは 本当に いい考えだ と思っているん ですか

It'd be more visually comprehensive, yes. Now it's often just a big blob of kanji and kana all over the place and I have to look for a 。so I know where a new sentence starts.

an anybody translate pic related?
asking for a friend
(here's link if you want to read it: nhentai.net/g/185368/1/)

lmao what

while learning japanese should i drop everything i was watching before that was english? like english speaking tv shows news youtube etc to help me get immersed?

i kinda get bored and want to take a break from not knowing fully what is going on sometimes or not having to stop and look something up while watching english speaking stuff though...

That's chinese

"cuckold" is ネトラレ

learning any language is a marathon, not a race. You should always provide yourself with plenty of other activities to serve as distraction/something else to do. Otherwise you'll burn out quickly. (Unless you have autism-like focus)

This. user you should try to become autistic.

When will DJT come back to Sup Forums?

スレは夜の内に死んでいく

いつも通りよ

管理人は戻らせません

never

>近畿地方
>関西地方
WELL, WHICH IS IT?!

I added a deck to help me learn the prefectures of Japan so that I would be able to recognize them when reading. Nobody told me how much harder than vocabulary geography was.

Read more NHK easy

I am playing with Mary-san!

I ignored people's recommendations of NHK Easy News for a long time because I assumed that I wouldn't be able to read it at all, since I thought I was much worse at Japanese than I actually was. By the time I actually decided to check it out, it was grammatically and (excluding proper nouns) lexiconically below my skill level.

You seem to be under the delusion that this is any different from English visual comprehension is not a big issue for natives japanese people typically know where a sentence starts without punctuation the period was not introduced into the language until some time after contact with the West first occurred apparently they got along fine without it the point I'm trying to make is that you need to look for a period in any language

I'm scared anons. I did really well on the N2 sample questions (got a good grade, well above minimum passing score), but I did really badly when I timed myself and took the full-length N2 practice test they have available on the site. I think I'm just not fast enough, I did the reading section first and did okay on that, but it took so much of my time that I had to rush through the Vocab/Grammar sections and I failed irredeemably on those. Can I reasonably be ready for the test in time for December?

死なないでください

They aren't the same.
Look up 近畿 関西 違い.

Time to start reading 6+ hours a day to get your reading speed up

死なざるを得ない
むしろ死ぬべきであろう

あまり代わりばえはしなかった。

How do I break this down?
代わりばえ は しなかった? What's a bae?

Oh, I think I see it now, it's hae.
"Not even a fly was there".

Ah, very helpful stuff here

No.
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/47257/meaning/m0u/
代わり映えのしない毎日 days of unvarying routine

死ぬべきであろうがなかろうが構わん!我々はこのスレを捨てる訳がないだぞ!

If only I were a NEET.
あなたにとって、フィンランドちゃん、N3にきっと勝つ、N2に多分負ける、どっちの方が望ましいか?

Just signed up for my JPN 101 class at uni. I don't know anything but at least I won't be alone. I've heard mixed things about college classes but it'll give me the motivation to stick with it at least.

>ignoring how bad everyone says classes are
>needing motivation from a class to study
>won't be alone
(As if being in close proximity to a bunch of toxic weaboos daily is going to be of benefit)

You'll learn hiragana and katakana, and MAYBE some basic grammar in your first semester. I want you to realize that you are deliberately paying hundreds (or thousands, depending where you go) of dollars to learn over the course of 4.5 months what anybody with half a brain can learn for free, with a reasonably small daily time investment, over the course of 2-3 weeks. If you legitimately think this class is going to help you in any way, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
I want you to study Japanese, user, but I don't want you to waste money floundering in an environment tailored to the learning needs of those of the lowest rungs of intelligence.

Having a passing paper from N3 isn't going to help with anything so might aswell go for N2. Atleast you will know how far off you are from passing

あまり電車を乗りません
電車をあまり乗りません
I think the first one is correct but I'm not sure

I would use 使う instead of 乗る and say 電車はあまり使いません

Is the frequency word あまり right being behind the topic like in the first?

But a bachelors will help me get a translator job, or go teach english in japan

I get a scholarship that covers my tuition so all I have to pay for is books really. I knew they moved at a sluggish pace but I didn't think it'd be so slow you spend 3 months learning the alphabet. One benefit I would get is it's 5 credits and if it's THAT slow then it'd be a good GPA booster. I probably would get more done learning on my own time but I don't get the credit for it. While I take the class I plan on using online materials primarily along with the classes. I have a week before I can drop it so I might just check it out and drop it if it sucks or if it turns out I don't really need it.

My main goal is to be proficient enough to go on exchange in Japan for at least a semester.

Both are correct iirc

Okay, I thought so but the book I'm reading does it the first way often. Thank you

I don't know the grammar behind it but it sounds right to me in the order I wrote it.

I think it can be like your first example too though

Sorry to ask, but could someone tell me what this says?
URLを載せてリプライを送ると他の方にRTをされてしまうので削除いたしました。

I asked an artist something over twitter, and their reply is more than I can understand.

>URLを載せてリプライを送ると他の方にRTをされてしまうので削除いたしました。
When you send a reply with a URL, it's RT (maybe "reply thread") to other users so I deleted the comment.

Oh, I see.
Thank you.
Yeah, they probably mean "retweet" because it was a twitter message.

Thanks for your help.

Ohh, I see. Jisho-sama failed me for the second time down my learning, both instances happening this week. Might be time to say goodbye soon...

に乗る, not を乗る.

鸚鵡貝

邯鄲
鈴虫
轡虫
斑猫

海星

螻蛄
大象虫

額突虫
井守
家白蟻
蟷螂
守宮
草蝦

山棟蛇
雀蜂
猿梨
羽隠
水馬

針金虫
腹広蟷螂

葦登

鴨嘴
仏法僧
木の葉木菟
川むつ
追河
諸子
柳葉魚

穴子

飛魚
笠子

秋刀魚
黍魚子

甘鯛

梭魚
針魚
山女
蟻地獄
翻車魚

硬骨魚
泡吹虫
大王烏賊

槌の子
白犀
金亀子
薄羽蜉蝣
擬螳螂
精霊飛蝗
きちきち蝗虫
蜻蛉
壁蝨
出目金
和金
鈍甲
石斑魚

新西蘭

Jokes on you. Many if not most of these are (uk)

Is it okay to say
電話は時計のとなりです。
Or is よこ more appropriate?

How would you say I'll go to Japan in 6 months? I get the "I will go to Japan" part but don't know where to place the "in 6 months" part.

よこ seems a little odd to me, but I could be mistaken.

6か月後に日本に行く予定です

I would say そばに

I think となり sort of works, but is used more like neighbour, as in your neighbour, neighbour city, neighbourhood etc.
in german よこ would be more like Seite, seitlich etc.

thank you mate but why is "I'll go to Japan" not Japan ni ikimasu?

you can say that of course

日本に行く予定です is more like "I plan to go to japan"

Anki had this weird issue today where, at the very end of my session when I had like 30~ cards in "learning" left, it was marking every card I hit "again" on as "good." Anyone else ever had this issue? The only other thing to note was that I was finishing up this session with about 10 minutes left before Anki flipped my deck over to the next day, otherwise I have no idea what might be the cause.

Aight thanks lad, it makes sense

平仮名と片仮名を使ってくだいさい。

is there a japanese equivalent of 骑马找马

"riding a horse while searching for another horse" like for example dating one person but actively searching for someone hotter

So there's no polite way of saying "you"?

The horse in simplified Chinese looks retarded.

おはようございます DJT!

As of recently starting to study Japanese (roughly two weeks so far), is there a way I could create a nickname by adding an honorific such as (-san) to a noun?

あなた refers to somebody that you do not know, not necessarily 'you.' Use the persons name and honorific versus あなた。

Thanks

頑張ってねです。幸運 を 祈ります!

ありがとうございます