Picking a club

Americans who are fans of European soccer (football) clubs, can you tell me how you became a fan?

Might not be able to give everyone a (You) but I promise you they'll be read

My brother was always a fan of Liverpool so me and my lottle bro started supporting them too (we're not really American btw)

>Picking a club semi-arbitrarily

Just watch football in general, you'll eventually find the right team.

Or support your local club

>Write every club name in the Football league (for example) on a strip of paper
>Scrunch them up and place them in one of your snapbacks
>Get someone to rustle the hat
>Pick one piece of paper out
>That's your team, for better or for worse

At least that's how SoccerAM used to do it for you guys

I grew up playing soccer but never really watched it. I remember watching some of the 2002 World Cup on a vacation. Then when 2006 came along, I decided to watch the entire World Cup or as much of it as I could. I really enjoyed watching the French national team at the time, especially Thierry Henry. After the World Cup, I discovered that there was a whole different side of the game - club football. I chose to watch Arsenal because of Thierry Henry. I have been following them religiously ever since. There has not been a season since 06-07 where I haven't watched 75-90% of the matches. I don't really enjoy any other sports. I've always thought of soccer as more of a lifestyle or passion - as I still play recreationally.

became a fan of tottenham after they beat tsuuuuu. also i like their chant

Got called "knob" by a brit 2 weeks back in a similar thread.

2011/12 I saw green street hooligans, West Ham became my team. Later on found out their fans can be real hooligans and they play physically. So i feel i made the right choice.

Before that was interested in a "champions league team" found out its a tourney not an actual club league like. you know what i mean. Before then i was just a casual, only watchin national tourneys, playin what i now know is called futsal or indoor football, in the tennis cages. Although before then everyone called it barcelona and yes these were immigrant spanish who called it that.

Sorry for the ramble.

Do a bunch of online surveys to choose a team (it'll be Liverpool) and then tell everyone in that team's subreddit that they are all so welcoming and that you feel like they would have your back if you got into something with a Man U punk in the pub. YNWA!

Dear Burger-bro

You're cool would be accepted in any normal footsciety. Don't let this these kissless virgins tell you otherwise.

Sincerely,

Normalfag

started liking city the year they won the title. they were on tv. i liked their shirts so i cheered for them.

>picking a club like that
el americANO snores.
you can't simply choose what team you wil "support"
real passion is not like that

Dad was a huge united fan and so was I until about the age of 11 when I randomly turned on an arsenal game (early 2000’s arsenal) and was hooked by their style from then on. Been a huge arsenal fan ever since then

I was born on September 3, 1996. In Europe, that date is written as 3/9/96. 39 people died at Heysel, 96 at Hillsborough. I support Liverpool

*because the numbers told me to.

Wolves had a pretty cool logo, been a fan for like 6 years at this point and now they're going to win da champions hip

"Yeah, i think i'll pick one team and only one team to love for the rest of my life. Pfff, easy".

Getting a wife is easier.

>hooked by their style
Why do so many Arsenal fans pretend this is the reason, and not the fact that they were winning titles?

you can simply pick a club to support like that.
you have to be born in it.
bandwagonners like you will never truly experience a football match

I started supporting Tottenham about 7 years ago, mainly because they got me into the sport.
There was a match they played against Chelsea and I was an ignorant American who thought that every match was 0-0 and boring as hell.

I had tried to get into it before because an Indian friend of mine kept trying to make me watch it, and there was a match between Manchester United and Chelsea. He was a big man u fan and he convinced me that Chelsea was the enemy but that particular match was boring as hell. It ended something like 1-0.

Fast forward; spurs played Chelsea and i decided to watch this match because nothing else was on, and man, it was exciting as hell. It was 2-2 at halftime and spurs would end up winning 3-2 and I fell in love with them ever since. You can call me a bandwagoner all you want. Spurs are going to win the CL

reminder that unless you support your local team you are a complete degenerate

You can't choose a team.
You support the piece of shit your city gives you.

People that "choose" teams are the lowest of the low plebs.

But user, I support the Chicago fire from the US as well. I'm from Chicago and support all the local teams.

when i started watching, i picked Arsenal because of Fabregas. pinpoint accurate and perfectly weighted passes that take several defenders out of play are my favorite part of the sport

only losers watch mls here. its the equivalent of supporting chelsea in london

Bro-in-law is from Newcastle.

my mom used to live in newcastle and operated a pub a few blocks away from st. james' park.

my grandpa and dad have been Barca customers for ages, so I figured," why not?"

>Not supporting ayyy puta United or the shiver me timbers

That's why I don't really support one specific club, the feeling won't be the same as when I watch my favorite baseball/handegg teams

What's the point of following a foreing team? I watch multiple European leagues and just watch the games because I like the sport, I don't follow any club there

The only club I root for is the one I bet on

>being a plastic

You're born into fandom, you faggot.

People in my country (I'm from CR by the way) usually support one of our local teams, but also have some european team they like. It's very common there and I don't see any trouble with it

>letting arbitrary chance dictate how you live.

Why do this to yourself? enjoy your life my friend.

*tips fedora*

Growing up, I liked soccer, but no one else did so it withered and died